| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 621 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Products - what have you found?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:40 am 
Nailed to the V

Ah...good to know! Perhaps I'll go there some day, maybe I'll get my dad to take me...he's a meat eater and likes any opportunity to eat it (mum won't cook him meat, good for her!). There's a place here, handmade burger, which does vegan stuff, but, it's a proper sit down place because orders take a while! Do giant portions though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:18 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I've never noticed a fish smell either, they are usually very airy. They have a nutritional info booklet which shows what is suitable. I usually order a custom made inari pocket without tomago (egg). Other good stuff includes fried aubergine, seaweed salad and deep fried tofu salad. For something hot they have a rice or a noodle dish made to order. You can also get cucumber sushi but I am not a huge fan. (For some reason the avocado sushi roll isn't suitable.)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:39 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

The avocado one isn't suitable because its got some kind of mayonnaise in it.
But I love yo sushi! I could OD on their seaweed salad. I managed to recreate it though!! It's just a case of getting wakame...
I've never asked them to make certain sushi's without stuff in. So I might do next time... but I'd just be happy to sit there and snaffle all the seaweedy options...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:10 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Cappuccino flavoured Vive Soy milk in Tesco. It's ridiculously, tooth-janglingly sweet, but a jolly nice alternative to hot chocolate of a cold, blustery evening.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:02 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Has anyone else tried Alpro Junior? (long life, picture of a giraffe on the front)

We use it in cooking for our daughter's meals, but I didn't taste it until today - it's really good! Full of fat and calories :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:24 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Ruby Rose wrote:
Cappuccino flavoured Vive Soy milk in Tesco. It's ridiculously, tooth-janglingly sweet, but a jolly nice alternative to hot chocolate of a cold, blustery evening.

Ooh. Long-life or fridge? I was just in Tesco this morning and didn't see anything like that in the fridge section, but I was looking for non-flavoured.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:03 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

rachell37 wrote:
Ruby Rose wrote:

Ooh. Long-life or fridge? I was just in Tesco this morning and didn't see anything like that in the fridge section, but I was looking for non-flavoured.

I think I've seen it in the long life section in Sainsbury's.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:38 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Ruby Rose wrote:

Ooh! Never heard of that!
:)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:46 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

vixki wrote:
I found vegan cake in Leicester yesterday, actual veeery tasty cake. There's a little place called cafe Mbriki which had a sign outside advertising vegan cakes. I had a banofee one and a double chocolate one, I neeeeed their icing recipe :O

Shame they dont really seem to have any vegan lunch options on the menu though I'll ask at some point. Was in town with my mum and actually could not find anything I could eat for lunch. Even salads and falafel wraps all have yoghurt these days!

The people who do the cakes for Cafe Mbriki are The Vegan Cakery, and they're very prompt with responses to queries. Whether they'll want to divulge their icing recipe I don't know.

For what it's worth, you were just round the corner from World Peace Cafe which have several vegan options! Or if your dad doesn't want to eat veggie there's always Wagamama or Pizza Express if you get tired of the Handmade Burger co. (Incidentally, I didn't know they did anything vegan, as I sent them an enquiry and they never bothered to respond, so that's good to know if I was ever invited for a birthday do or something like that.).

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:41 pm 
Nailed to the V

dropscone wrote:
vixki wrote:
I found vegan cake in Leicester yesterday, actual veeery tasty cake. There's a little place called cafe Mbriki which had a sign outside advertising vegan cakes. I had a banofee one and a double chocolate one, I neeeeed their icing recipe :O

Shame they dont really seem to have any vegan lunch options on the menu though I'll ask at some point. Was in town with my mum and actually could not find anything I could eat for lunch. Even salads and falafel wraps all have yoghurt these days!

The people who do the cakes for Cafe Mbriki are The Vegan Cakery, and they're very prompt with responses to queries. Whether they'll want to divulge their icing recipe I don't know.

For what it's worth, you were just round the corner from World Peace Cafe which have several vegan options! Or if your dad doesn't want to eat veggie there's always Wagamama or Pizza Express if you get tired of the Handmade Burger co. (Incidentally, I didn't know they did anything vegan, as I sent them an enquiry and they never bothered to respond, so that's good to know if I was ever invited for a birthday do or something like that.).

:O :O I just spent half an hour drooling over their website! I want everything! Millionaire's shortbread?! Black Forest Gateau! Battenburg! :O Not fair it's not my birthday anytime soon :p

I've heard about the world peace cafe but never visited. I keep meaning to. I get shy going in smaller places though!
Yeah handmade burger doesn't do vegan burgers...all say they contain some sort of egg...but I usually get a salad with chargrilled veg...and chips...and its pretty nice! :) It's strange they didn't reply to you - I've contacted them before (they sponsored a charity thing I organised) and they were pretty nice!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:36 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I don't know if this counts as new or just seasonal, but Sainsbury's has Choices Easter Eggs - some with chocolate coins and some with caramels! Oh, and the one with caramels is caramel-flavoured! They also have some (smaller) white chocolate eggs, and their standard Free From chocolate eggs. Pretty decent selection this year.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:28 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Oh, that is good good news! One of the very few pregan chocolate things I miss is Caramac.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:54 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I got the caramel choices for Christmas and they were gorgeous. I will be on the look-out for the eggs. Yum!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:14 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

rachell37 wrote:
I don't know if this counts as new or just seasonal, but Sainsbury's has Choices Easter Eggs - some with chocolate coins and some with caramels! Oh, and the one with caramels is caramel-flavoured! They also have some (smaller) white chocolate eggs, and their standard Free From chocolate eggs. Pretty decent selection this year.

How awesome. I'm gonna track these down. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:29 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

It's been lurking for a while, but I've just got hold of some:
Redwood's smoked salmon slices are pretty good. Not a perfect replacement, but salty and fishy and smokey enough that 75% of my tastebuds were satisfied.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:09 am 
Nailed to the V

Tesco Creme Caramels in the free from section are soooo good. And on offer, 3 packs for £3! (as are a lot of their dairy free range, all the yoghurts and the butter for instance)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:34 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

OREO's ARE NOW VEGAN!

I was in Morrissons today and looking for something sweet to lift up my mood in what had been a horrible day, and noticed that the oreo packets locked a bit different. Looking at the back of it, there was no whey in sight! I re-read it several times and bought a packet. Further investigation confirmed this, UK Oreos are now vegan! And they're delicious!

You might want to have a look at the back of the package to make sure you're not buying old ones though.

Imma twisting, licking and dunking my pancreas beyond recognition

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:56 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

whoooooooaaaaa. so i don't have to keep importing them!

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:59 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Woah woah woah! That could be extremely dangerous for my waistline!
Oooh, I'll finally be able to make all those recipes that involve Oreos. I'm going to put Oreos in everything!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:20 pm 
Saggy Butt

WHAT??!! That just made my day. I love using them in baking- cookie cookies anyone? That reminds me that I do still have some sent from the US to use up...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:11 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

greenknittinggal wrote:
WHAT??!! That just made my day. I love using them in baking- cookie cookies anyone?

cookies and cream ice cream. my favorite use of oreos by far.

upon hearing this news i opened the oreos i brought from the US in December and consumed about half the 400+ gram packet. hooray for post-scarcity economies!

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:07 am 
Ninja Master

I read this on facebook yesterday - so awesome!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:16 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Confirmed! It's the cylindrical pack, though, not the new box of 2-packs. Their website still lists whey as an ingredient in all of them, but the cylindrical pack (original - I didn't check the chocolate ones because those are works of the devil) definitely does not contain whey. Woo!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:36 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Oh my. I'm going to buy some today. As for oreos in everything..... I concur. Oreo tofu, Oreo Salad, Oreo Kale Pizza. Sounds great!

Please can you stop the noise, I'm trying to get some rest from all the unborn chicken voices in my head.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:32 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Just had three oreos - thanks!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 621 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 25  Next