| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10567 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125 ... 423  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:31 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

kilgore trout wrote:
Ugh. For one of my classes, we had to read a piece about the rhetoric of meat consumption. The piece was great, the class discussion was not. A lot of blanket statements about how vegetarians are pushy and how someone's cousin's-boyfriend's-sister's-mom is vegan and needs to take supplements and jokes about how veal is so terrible but gosh, it tastes so darn good!
So of course I opened my big mouth and said that I'm vegan and in pretty good health, because I was getting pretty frustrated not saying anything. And I feel like I shouldn't have, but if other people are giving personal anecdotes and vague, unsourced "facts" (athletes need meat!) then I figured it was fair game. But, blah. I need vegan-hugs.

Man, I'm sorry.

This kind of thing happens in the class I was most excited about this term all the time. From the teachers even. After watching something really moving about how our food system needs to change, the discussion devolves into how if they had to be vegan, what's the point in being alive. It's insane. The class is about how to grow vegetables within the city.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:24 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

In your urban farming class? Really? That makes me sad. My university offers one as well, and I was thinking of taking it for fun next quarter since I only have like 11 credits planned right now. But now I'm thinking there is a good chance the same thing would happen. And then my fun class would turn into my, "If one more person says how much they'd hate to be vegan I am going to go insane," class, and that would be no fun. Boo, people are silly.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:25 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Oh, man. I totally get the peeve about sharing your limited supply of vegan stuff. A while ago, I got a stash of vegan gummy bears and Go Max Go bars (which are not generally available in Europe) and my boyfriend wanted to have a taste of each and every one. On the one hand, I'm happy he wants to try vegan stuff. On the other, he's got his supermarket gummy bears and Snickers and Mars bars all to himself, so when I only have one expensive Jokerz bar and one expensive Twilight bar that I would have to go out of my way to a special store to replace, I want to eat the whole things myself, dammit!

New pet peeve: a friend of mine is trying to eat less meat and incorporate more vegetarian meals into his routine, so he asked me for a cookbook recommendation. I suggested AFR, which he bought. Yesterday he dropped by the store where I work and told me he really liked AFR and had been using it a lot, but "I do sometimes add butter to the recipes". Why? I can't think of a single AFR recipe that I feel would be improved with the addition of even vegan butter, let alone dairy butter. what the fizzle?

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:06 am 
Chard Martyr

Yeah, my partner of 7 years is not allowed to eat stuff like precious cheeses (Cheezly, Dr. Cow, etc...) I bring home from travels and/or order, because he is vegetarian. I even get a little stabby about him eating a large portion of a shared vegan dish at a restaurant because I selfishly feel like I deserve to eat most of it, and since my appetite is half of his', I always just watch as he ticks into every little vegan morsel of deliciousness.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:10 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I used to feel exactly the same about sharing my fun vegan treats with my husband before he went vegan. Him being vegan makes me a nicer more sharey person!

Not-For-Profit Cupcakes: Operation Icing.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:21 am 
Seagull of the PPK

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I don't want to have to share my special vegan treat with people who can just go to the store and get all the freaking snacks they want.!

a few years ago my kid and i went up to the US, she had talked for a YEAR about how she was going to buy the Peanut Butter Puffins cereal. We went to Trader Joe's (an hour away) and got them like the first day. We went to the library the next day, after she had had One Glorious Breakfast, and while we were gone my sister binged by eating the whole box. We came home, my kid saw the box in the trash and started to cry. Then my sister came downstairs and started the whole "they weren't really that good, health food store kind of crepe". This is why we don't visit more often- i believe she did the same thing with my blueberry-lemon petit fours (which were AMAZING), and, of all things, the Lovely Cupcakes from Rutherford whose store name I can't remember.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:36 am 
Semen Strong

Wow, torque, that is the worst! I can't believe anyone would take special treat vegan food from a vegan kid!

Sweet Avenue cupcakes are so good. Next time you visit, I'm buying you and FC a box <3

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:18 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

This might be a weird one, but when I am ordering my groceries online through IGA, and I put firm and extra-firm tofu on my list, don't send me 2 soft ones instead. Dude, what am I supposed to do with that now? (I had an organized meal plan and wanted those ones specifically) Or when I ask for 2 cans of black beans, dont sub for 1 can of mixed beans. Ugh! Now I have to go out in this cold to the grocery store and get more items. This sucks. It's freezing out there... the point of ordering is to avoid all this with a baby and preschooler in tow, ya know?

Or ohh, this is even better... It's like they don't even know what tofu is. When I click on Mori-Nu silken tofu, they sent me soft regular tofu instead thinking its the same thing, even after I explained on the phone. Grr!

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ TheVeganHammock

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:51 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

lepelaar wrote:

New pet peeve: a friend of mine is trying to eat less meat and incorporate more vegetarian meals into his routine, so he asked me for a cookbook recommendation. I suggested AFR, which he bought. Yesterday he dropped by the store where I work and told me he really liked AFR and had been using it a lot, but "I do sometimes add butter to the recipes". Why? I can't think of a single AFR recipe that I feel would be improved with the addition of even vegan butter, let alone dairy butter. what the fizzle?

what on earth is he adding butter too? i cant think of anything in there that needs butter either. what the fizzle? most of the stuff i make from that book would only be ruined by the addition of butter (curries, salads, etc).

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:55 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My bff does a monthly order online and allows substitutions. Last week, she ordered Alpro Soya chocolate desserts (vegan pudding cups, essentially), and they delivered a Victoria sponge (Free From, but just vegetarian) in its place. Instead of just giving her a different flavour of dessert (they sell 4, including 2 different chocolates), they sent something that wasn't even remotely like what she ordered (apart from it being from the Free From range). She's not vegan so she ate it anyway, but it just made me wonder what goes through someone's head when they make those decisions. And it reinforced my decision to not allow substitutions when I order online.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:05 am 
Not NOT A Furry

You can specify substitutions if you want, also you can just send stuff back. My local Tescos seems to have learned not to give me Quorn for example! Eventually.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:22 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I always do! This is dumb... I have to keep calling them

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ TheVeganHammock

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:44 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

torque wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
I don't want to have to share my special vegan treat with people who can just go to the store and get all the freaking snacks they want.!

a few years ago my kid and i went up to the US, she had talked for a YEAR about how she was going to buy the Peanut Butter Puffins cereal. We went to Trader Joe's (an hour away) and got them like the first day. We went to the library the next day, after she had had One Glorious Breakfast, and while we were gone my sister binged by eating the whole box. We came home, my kid saw the box in the trash and started to cry. Then my sister came downstairs and started the whole "they weren't really that good, health food store kind of crepe". This is why we don't visit more often- i believe she did the same thing with my blueberry-lemon petit fours (which were AMAZING), and, of all things, the Lovely Cupcakes from Rutherford whose store name I can't remember.

Holy shiitake torque! I would be so pissed. Poor kiddo.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:52 am 
Seagull of the PPK

well, that's the sister for you (sadly, this just the tip of the iceberg). live and learn, and now we leave no vegan treats unguarded!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:59 am 
Naked Under Apron

Sweet Avenue Cupcakes (the cupcake place in Rutherford, NJ) posted some photos of their Super Bowl cupcakes. Someone responded, "Are your cupcakes paleo?" Now, granted, I'm not an expert on paleo, but I'm pretty sure that all grains and sugars are forbidden.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:03 pm 
WRETCHED

I don't know, if somehow you could make a cupcake out of eggs, almond flour, fruit ( for sweetness?), then maybe you could get a paleo cupcake. Maybe.

Oh I found a recipe, honey is apparently paleo (who knew).

Last edited by linanil on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:03 pm 
WELFARIST!

The idea of paleo cupcakes amuses me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:04 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

LisaPunk wrote:
lepelaar wrote:

what on earth is he adding butter too? i cant think of anything in there that needs butter either. what the fizzle? most of the stuff i make from that book would only be ruined by the addition of butter (curries, salads, etc).

I add two tbsp of EB to the shepherd pie mashed potatoes somthey get creamier. Can't think of anything else.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:34 pm 
Semen Strong

A bunch of the moms at our parenting group make coconut flour paleo muffins sweetened with fruit. They have eggs in them, though so I have't tasted them, but one of the moms is dairy and eggfree as well as paleo and she only bakes paleo and vegan so I'm psyched to try them.

I love Sweet Avenue. If anyone can do a yummy paleovegan cupcake its them

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:43 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

torque wrote:
well, that's the sister for you (sadly, this just the tip of the iceberg). live and learn, and now we leave no vegan treats unguarded!!!
That was just an incredibly crummy, thoughtless, and shitty thing to do to a little kid. What the hell?

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:51 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

linanil wrote:
Oh I found a recipe, honey is apparently paleo (who knew).

this has me envisioning cavemen sticking their hands into beehives for honey a la Winnie the Pooh.

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:03 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

chosephine wrote:
Does this happen to be that Quick and Dirty place? (I think that's what it's called?) I keep meaning to check it out but now that I hear this, I might not bother.

And I am still so sad about Kettleman's that I almost cry whenever I think about it.

Yes. AND YES.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:13 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

torque wrote:
Then my sister came downstairs and started the whole "they weren't really that good, health food store kind of crepe".

Oh that is just the worst when some crasshole not only helps him/herself to your special treat but then has the nerve to complain about it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:36 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

torque wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:

this is terrible!!!!!!! poor kid :-(
did she go get a new box and replace them?!?!?!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:55 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

We got a new box, and a whole bunch of other treats, and kept it in my room. however, because of other antics from that trip, we ended up leaving the US early and going back home. I should mention, she has gotten better, and I am hopeful that someday I can have a relationship with her the way I have with my brother.

Reply to topic  [ 10567 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125 ... 423  Next