| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 189  Next
 Post subject: Re: Relationship advice, decisions, smiles or tears
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:37 pm 
Impressive boner

Please believe that you will stop feeling like this eventually and good will present itself to you again. It could take time and challenges but things will change. Take good care of yourself.

Over the last four years we've been through some rough times. Financial abuse, accusations of child abuse, parental alienation, serious illness and assault. There have been times where I've been on the cusp of leaving, but something kept me here. Now I've fallen in love all over again and staying is truly worth it. I've never had a relationship before where all the aspects - intellect, emotions, humour, beliefs, sex - all worked, but it appears that this is what we have now. I don't know what changed. We started listening to Devin Townsend and Gojira and reading more books, but thats about it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:38 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Hey 1strangegirl, I don't know the particulars of your situation, but if you aren't already I'd encourage you to connect with the Elizabeth Fry Society. They work with women involved in the criminal justice system and may be able to help you navigate the system.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:11 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Thank you, 8-ball. I feel like, I will have to feel better SOMEtime, I guess, because I just can't feel much worse. I just don't know WHEN I will feel, better, and, being a person who wants to know everything about what will happen at all times, I struggle. And it is of course possible if I don't get some empowerment over my circumstances going, my fear is I could linger in this horrid feeling indefinitely. I like reading your triumphant story, though, and those happy ones that others have posted on here!
J-dub, thanks for the info and link. That seems like a helpful foundation. I mention a bit more in one of my beginning posts on here about what happened, legally, but it is not that important now. I will check out the Edmonton branch of that Elizabeth Fry society, I already see a series of classes I believe I could benefit from!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:48 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

My guy and I are going to have "the talk" on Sunday. He's been going through a lot of work stress lately, and has been increasingly unavailable to me. I'm starting to feel like a girl "friend", and I think my head already knows what my heart isn't yet willing to admit. He has such awesome potential as a partner, but if I've learned one thing from dating, it's that you can't change anyone. They have to want to do it for themselves. He doesn't know we're going to have this talk, and I'll definitely listen to what he has to say, but I'm pretty sure things are irreparable at this point.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:04 am 
Semen Strong

Big hugs to all who need them.

1strangegirlbygolly! wrote:
I am seeing a counselor already, but honestly, I think sometimes it is made worse buy her sadly shaking her head and repeating, "boy, he must have really been hatching this plan to spring it on you like that" and other such similar statements. I admit that I was blindsided, but I don't want to keep hearing about it!

1strangegirl, can you switch counselors? It doesn't seem like your counselor is helping you process to move forward productively if she keeps on ascribing nasty motives to your ex.

Sending you many many good thoughts.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:16 am 
Chip Strong

Hugs to everyone <3 Life seems to be being an asparagus to so many people right now :(

(This sort of feels out of place compared to what other people in this thread are going to, but I need to get it out)

It's been almost a month since my ex and I broke up, and I'm still hopelessly in love with him. Ugh. I moved back into my apartment, and it's been super hard. I'll be feeling okay, and then I'll be in my room doing homework and hear him and someone who use to be one of my best friends (more on that in a second) talking or laughing and then I'll start crying. I've been trying to spend a lot of time out of my apartment, which helps some, but I hate that I'm basically afraid to come back at night because then I'll have to see him/hear him. I know I should really just move out, and I'm starting to consider it more and more, I just don't know....

Also, it's been even harder because I've realized that two of my roommates (one of which had been one of my best friends since the beginning of high school, and the other I became pretty close with last year) basically are his friends now... not mine. Like since we broke up, they've seemed like they're avoiding me. I walk in the room, try to have a conversation with them, ect. and they just leave, but at night I'll hear them all hanging out together. That's making me feel just awesome. (I'm wondering if maybe they think I'm going to complain about him or something? But honestly, I don't think badly of him, he's a good guy, he just decided this wasn't what he wanted and I can't blame him for that. I want to talk to see what's up, but I don't want two other people telling me they don't care about me anymore, cause that sucks to hear). So not only do I have to deal trying to get over him while living with him, but I don't really have anyone who is there for me or that I can talk to at my apartment, plus now I'm also trying to come to terms with losing two other people I care about. My other two roommates I'm on good terms with, but not super close with, so I don't really feel comfortable being like, "Hey, I'm having a hard time. Can we talk?"--though one of them and I had a pretty good talk early this week about everything, so I'm hoping that'll change.

Oh, and my supposed best friend has NOT SHUT UP about this guy she is crushing on the past few weeks and how they've been hanging out a ton lately. I'm happy for her, but I'm still really hurting, and her bringing it up every time we talk almost feel like she is rubbing it in my face. I don't know why I'd really expect her to be empathetic about it--when I moved back in she came with me and basically told me I needed to just get over it when I started crying after hearing him talking---but I really wish she would just stop bringing her crush up, because I don't need anymore reminders that I'm in love with someone who doesn't care about me. I realize that if she is being so uncaring about my well being I should probably just cut off contact for a while, but I don't think I could deal with losing another friend right now, so I'm just changing the subject when he comes up and hoping she gets the message.

Some of my other friends from high school though that go to uni with me now have been awesome though. I totally wasn't expecting them to be as supportive and understanding as they have been, and that's been great. I just really wish they didn't commute to school from home, because I don't get to spend much time with them.

My step sister has also become a huge source of support the last week. We've never really been close, but her boyfriend broke up with her last week, so we've hung out a few times to keep each other busy, and just talking with her about things has helped a lot. They were planning on moving in together in the next few months and getting married/engaged in the next year, so this was a huge blow for her. I've mainly just been an ear for her to talk when/if she wants, but even just that has really helped me think about things. She's also helped to sort of validate what I'm feeling when I've talked about it with her, which has helped, because my "bff" above made me feel like I didn't "deserve" to feel this way.

So this has been more of a feelings dump than anything, but I needed to get it out. In summary, I still love my ex and have some really shitty friends *sigh*

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:33 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Yikes, Simply_Love, that's a lot! I'm sorry you're hurting so much, and I'm sorry your friends are being so thoughtless.

I really, really encourage you to get out of that apartment tout de suite! The wound is going to remain open and raw if you stay there.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:41 am 
Chip Strong

I know :( I know I should, but I'm worried about "burning bridges" so to speak, but it'd probably be better for me in the long run even if that is what ends up happening. I have a place I can live if I find a subleaser (my awesome aunt and uncle on the bus line that runs straight by my college, and have said I can move in anytime I want/need to), but all the bills are in my name for this place... Electric could be easily switched, but cable/internet not so much. And pretty much all the cooking things for the kitchen are mine plus a few other things for the apartment we all share, so I almost feel like I would be screwing everyone else over if I did move out, since I'd be taking all that with me. I know I should be putting myself first and not worry about everyone else, but I still feel a bit guilty at the thought.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:56 am 
WELFARIST!

I can understand your feeling guilty but I'd also encourage you to do what feels best for you and to put yourself first right now. It sounds like your "friends" aren't really helping you so the only person you really have to rely on right now is yourself. I don't know your situation super well but from what you've posted it sounds like you can't move on to a healthy mental/emotional state until you fist remove yourself from that apartment. Once you're away from him (and them) it may be easier to focus on other things, including yourself. It's going to hurt of course but it sounds like staying there is like emotional torture. Just try not to isolate yourself and hang out/talk with those who reach out to you and make you feel wanted and welcomed, forget those who make you feel like an outsider.

----
And on my note, it really forking hurts to think that someone liked you and thought you were special to only find out that they don't care about you and only wanted to have sex with you so that they could add you to a list. Even worse to find out that this person cheats on their girlfriend all of the time and you could have potentially been "the other girl". Then when you tell someone about it and that it hurts, they say that you'll be fine and that it sounds like nothing happened. Right, because I didn't have sex with this person then nothing really happened, I don't have feelings outside of sex.......fork that. It felt very dismissive of my feelings. To make matters worse, I work with this person so I can't cut them out of my life completely.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:25 pm 

I'm so mad/upset/depressed right now. I haven't seen my guy since last weekend, and when I talked to him Thurs nite, he promised we'd do brunch today. He went snowboarding w/his friends yesterday and texted me last night to make sure we were on for brunch today. He texted me mid-AM today to ask if we could do dinner instead. I'm so mad. I had been looking forward all week to seeing him for brunch, it's our weekly tradition. So I called him, and he said he got caught up in snowboarding again today and wanted to do dinner tonight instead. I (lied and) told him, no, I already had plans for the Superbowl this evening, so he asked if we could do dinner tom night instead.

I'm really tired of just being expected to drop everything for him. It would be one thing if he wanted to spend the weekend snowboarding with his friends and told me that, but to cancel an hour beforehand is inexcusable.

I'm going to call him tonight and see if I can come over to have the talk, since it will be much more effective in person. I'm just so tired of having my heart stomped on.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:41 pm 
Huffs Nooch

*hugs* for everyone who wants them!

As for me, I have to have a chat with my boyfriend. He recently told me that he can't handle my dog Milo sleeping with us at night, that he's too restless--he wants Milo out of the bedroom. I'm really not okay with this. Milo became an only dog when I had to put his litter mate down back in August because of cancer. He's twelve years old, and has been sleeping with me for eleven years. He doesn't have any other companions (except my cat, who he's scared of), and I don't think it's fair to isolate him during the day while I'm at work and then isolate him all night as well. I'm having some sleep issues as well, because my boyfriend is a restless sleeper, but I was ignoring them, hoping I would adjust. He only stays over Friday & Saturday nights, so I catch up on my sleep Sunday night. I'm not sure what the solution is to our situation. Anybody go through something similar?

Beef, nature's #1 source of moisture.--Limone

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:09 am 

Followup to my previous post...

I stopped by his work tonight to give him his stuff and talk. I told him that I "can't do this anymore", and he told me he knew I was going to say that. He then asked what he could do to change things (totally surprised me, I thought he was going to take the coward way out and agree with me). I told him I need more communication and respect, because he's giving me neither. I also told him that if we're going to make this work he only gets one second chance. He agreed, and said he needed to see things from my point of view more often. He promised to work on communication and be there for me.

I feel much better since our talk and am glad that he stepped up to the plate and apologized for his behavior. I know history repeats itself and am hoping that we can continue to work out our issues together.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:07 am 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

ScooterDiva wrote:
Followup to my previous post...

I stopped by his work tonight to give him his stuff and talk. I told him that I "can't do this anymore", and he told me he knew I was going to say that. He then asked what he could do to change things (totally surprised me, I thought he was going to take the coward way out and agree with me). I told him I need more communication and respect, because he's giving me neither. I also told him that if we're going to make this work he only gets one second chance. He agreed, and said he needed to see things from my point of view more often. He promised to work on communication and be there for me.

I feel much better since our talk and am glad that he stepped up to the plate and apologized for his behavior. I know history repeats itself and am hoping that we can continue to work out our issues together.

I was wondering what the news was going to be!

I think it's okay to give someone a second chance if you like them. I know a lot of people disagree with me, but sometimes people need that second chance to learn.

I hope that he'll be more communicative and more understanding of your needs! He sounded super great at the beginning, so I hope it will revert to that and stay that way!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:15 am 

Thanks so much DC! He is a really great guy - just not really great at dating - yet. I'm hoping he can be the awesome person I know he has in him.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:37 am 
Dead by dawn

Good for you for giving voice to what you need out of your relationship, SD. I hope you guys can work it out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:43 pm 

Thanks mt. I hope so too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:45 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

very veggie wrote:

As for me, I have to have a chat with my boyfriend. He recently told me that he can't handle my dog Milo sleeping with us at night, that he's too restless--he wants Milo out of the bedroom. I'm really not okay with this. Milo became an only dog when I had to put his litter mate down back in August because of cancer. He's twelve years old, and has been sleeping with me for eleven years. He doesn't have any other companions (except my cat, who he's scared of), and I don't think it's fair to isolate him during the day while I'm at work and then isolate him all night as well. I'm having some sleep issues as well, because my boyfriend is a restless sleeper, but I was ignoring them, hoping I would adjust. He only stays over Friday & Saturday nights, so I catch up on my sleep Sunday night. I'm not sure what the solution is to our situation. Anybody go through something similar?

How about a cosleeper for your dog? Like, a dog bed just next to your side of the bed? This way, your dog isn't really sleeping alone and you can even pet him during your sleep, but as the dog isn't in the bed your partner shouldn't be bothered by its movements.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:25 pm 
Dead by dawn

Oh man, every now and then I am reminded of two things: biker boy never forgets a single thing I say, and our communication styles are radically different as soon as you scratch below the surface. Neither of those is a bad thing, but I have to remember that he works things out logically so if I toss off a comment that's born out of emotion, he'll mull it over for a few days (or in this case, a couple weeks) and if he can't figure out what's "wrong" so that he can adjust his behavior to make it "right" I will get an oddly-timed "so what did you mean by..." or "what was frustrating to you about..." The good thing is that we end up talking things out (today it was by text message... he was at work when his logical analysis of my emotional state finally hit a dead end!) I guess the bad part is that it allows me to be sort of passive-aggressive and just drop a bomb here and there and let him do the work of figuring out what I mean. I don't think I do that, but I may need to get better at just sucking it up and saying "I am feeling [emotion] because of [situation.]"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:51 pm 
WRETCHED

I'm with you MT, Mr. Nil never forgets a thing I say. He got pissy with me on Sunday, then threw something at me that I said 7 years ago that I don't remember saying. And we definitely have different styles in that he gets annoyed with me, I feel like crepe due to it and he gets surprised that I feel bad. The worst part is that he did it to me 2 days in a row (Sunday, Monday) about 2 different things. Monday, I think he had low blood sugar or something because that is usually when he gets short with me. I know I shouldn't take things too personally but if one day I'm told I don't do enough around the house and then the second day I'm told I don't do enough for my dogs, then I don't know how else to feel.

Overall, we get along great but ugh some days, he makes me feel like I'm the worst person in the world.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:53 pm 
Huffs Nooch

aelle wrote:
very veggie wrote:

How about a cosleeper for your dog? Like, a dog bed just next to your side of the bed? This way, your dog isn't really sleeping alone and you can even pet him during your sleep, but as the dog isn't in the bed your partner shouldn't be bothered by its movements.

That's a good idea to try-- Milo's an old dog, so I'm not sure he's up to learning a new trick :-) Hopefully I'll adjust to my boyfriend's flopping around.

Beef, nature's #1 source of moisture.--Limone

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:03 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Ugh, having such a drastically different way of working out problems is so hard. He gets super unemotional and very businesslike, which I loathe. I'd rather he be angry and me know it- that seems more productive than acting like I'm his subordinate and we need to solve a problem. But he sees my 'irrational emotional outpouring' as unproductive, when I think getting emotions on the table is so vital. (Also, I like to believe I'm still pretty rational...) It's difficult. More difficult than the initial disagreeing.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:29 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Arrrrgh that would drive me nuts when my exes would do that. Relationships aren't very logical! If I were totally logical I'd never date again. While its nice to voice emotions, emotions themselves are often totally valid and everyone's entitled to them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:58 pm 
Nailed to the V

^^^ so true! well said, mox!

so i have a question: i've been dating this really sweet vegan guy for about 3 months now and we've agreed to be exclusive and stuff. i live a ways away from the city, so we only get to see each other on weekends and stuff, but we text and occasionally call during the week. i guess i have this combination of being really afraid of getting close to someone romantically, or showing interest and it not being reciprocated, or over-stepping whatever boundaries need to be present, so i get confused as to how much communication is normal. i'm really self-conscious about it. so is anyone here in a relationship w/ someone you can't at the drop of a hat? how much do you communicate w/ them?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:27 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm in a long distance relationship, and we talk every day and text often throughout the day. We only get to see each other right now once or twice a year. We're also both home a lot, so even if we have nothing to talk about we'll have a line open on google talk just for the illusion of company XD It really depends on lifestyles and how much alone time you need. Everyone needs it, but its never the same for every person. I'd be self conscious about it if I was initiating the contact all the time, but its pretty equal. It might even help to just get it out in the open and say "hey, do I call or text too much?"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:00 am 
Nailed to the V

oh, i ask that more than i should. and he always jokes back about how incessant and distracting to his busy day it is (because it's not). but yeah, i'd say i initiate a lot of that communication. i dunno if that'll change or if it'll be a problem in the long run.... i'm sure i'll figure it out. in the mean time, i'm enjoying my autonomy (sometimes just trying to enjoy it) while slowly exploring a new relationship.

wow, mox. it must be hard to see your SO only once or twice a year. i really admire how y'all handle that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 189  Next