| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weight Watcher Menus anyone?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:32 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm kinda sorta doing WW again, using the online tools and iPad app. I really finally do want to seriously lose the weight I've gained since my back surgeries. I'm tired of my nice clothes not fitting and Im tired of feeling kind of bloaty and icky.

I'm having trouble figuring out what to eat and menu plans aren't working. I'm trying to cook out of AFR a lot. I'm honestly thinking of just buying two weeks worth of Amy's crepe just to get over this "what the hell do I eat?" and portion control hump. But after that? Gah.

Can anyone post a few of their good menus? I need to stay under 26 points, but I can juggle points, so that doesn't matter. Plus, maybe this will be useful for lots of people. I can post AFR points again if anybody wants. I can also do another book if requested. The bonus with the iPad app is if you enter recipes, you then have ingredient lists when shopping!

Post subject: Re: Weight Watcher Menus anyone?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:59 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Ah shoot.... there's times like these that I wish I had been good and actually tracked properly.

My fave breakfast a few months back when I was tracking was these pancakes http://ohsheglows.com/2010/01/02/healthy-spelt-pancakes-for-one/ for 7pp I think with 1tsp of agave (0pp) and a banana with some strawberries. Used to be good a filling. Then I would have an apple for mid morning.

The big fat taco salad with the dressing that is mostly tomatoes (AFR) for my lunch.

A yogurt in the afternoon as a snack.

Then something like the the kidney bean and butternut jamba stew for dinner.

With the dinners I used to cook them up on a Sunday then divide it straight away into however many portions the recipe is for and only have the one portion there and then.

With things like potatoes, cereals, rice and pasta I always weighed them to make sure my points were exact since I am a disaster at portion control. Even though I'm not actively following ww now I still weigh my carbs because they are my downfall. Once I stop weighing them then disaster surely follows!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:20 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Why haven't I made the kidney bean butternut thing? I have a butternut.

The pancakes sound good. I'm trying to get better at eating breakfast and lunch. I'm a horrible meal skipper. Some days, I eat way more food on WW than I otherwise would.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:30 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

You should always aim to hit that 26 as a minimum every day -- the 49 weeklies are for the juggling. ;) (I'm a receptionist for Weight Watchers.)

I don't find the Amy's meals to be a super bargain for their points, especially on the 26 DPT. So I would just try to take a day to do some cooking and make 3 dishes from AFR that you can grab and go in individual portions or reheat throughout the week.

For breakfast, make your own oatmeal because the instant ones aren't very filling and are higher in PPV because they're full of sugar. I like to add nut butter and mashed banana to mine to make it even more filling.

Lunch, buy some of the "light" bread for minimal use of PPV if you like sandwiches. Otherwise we just use leftovers.

ETA: My tracker wouldn't really be too helpful to you since I'm in maintenance mode and I'm fairly active. So that's why I'm just giving general suggestions. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:02 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I haven't been able to stick with it consistently lately, but when I am on plan, I have steel cut oats with a banana every day for breakfast. I make a big pot in the slow cooker and then measure out the portions.

Lunch is always a salad with the only things costing points is avocado and half a cup of beans.

Dinner is something from AFR.

I need to get serious about it again.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:47 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Yeah, that's the other thing. I barely have the physical stamina to cook one thing, so cooking a bunch all weekend won't work for me. I am trying to make something to last a few days and/or give lunches.

It's breakfast and lunch that are the biggest headaches. For breakfast, I need to eat in the car while driving. I already have to leave at 4:30 for a 90 minute drive. No way am I going to get up even earlier and eat. I can't even imagine eating anything before at least 5.

I should make some baked falafel and AFR hummus for lunch this week.
Then, my lunch is at 10 am, so I either eat lunch and then starve until dinner, or skip lunch and eat something lousy in my way home (I get home around 5).

Eating all 26 pts is my goal. It seems I either end up eating 15 or 35. Annnd now I can't eat today because of my ulcer. This isn't helpful! Not like this not being able to eat has the benefit of weight low--no, just makes it harder.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:50 pm 

Then make one thing that makes 6 or 8 servings, that will at least help. :) How about a smoothie for breakfast? Soy yogurt and/or milk, and fruit. Peanut butter and frozen banana is a good combo.

Packing some healthy snacks that you can grab would be good too, so you're not starving when you do sit down to eat. Trader Joe's has individual packs of nuts now in 1 oz portions. They're a little pointy but satisfying and easy to eat. Also, sliced apples, grapes, baby carrots with hummus (or without).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:54 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

This might be dumb, but could I make a smoothie the evening before--maybe 7 or 8pm?

I can't run the Vitamix at 4am. People and parrots would get very angry. Or rather, parrots would get very angry, and would then yell the house awake and keep them awake long after I slink out the door in shame.

A filling smoothie instead of my $6 soy latte in the morning, then a quick snack for "lunch" and another snack on my way home might be a good plan.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:13 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I think it's worth trying. It probably won't be as good as a fresh one, but I bet it would be okay.

I can't make smoothies before work either. Vitamix wakes up everyone.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:38 pm 

It might separate some, but you should be able to stir it back together.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:07 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Oh, I could give it a little whiz with my hand blender.

Now to find good (cheap) low sugar smoothie recipes. I can't have more than ~10g sugar over an hour without getting sick.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:23 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've made smoothies the night before. Like karichelle said, it separates a little bit, but it easily stirs back together.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:23 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

You lose some of the nutritional value I think but balance it out with a multivitamin! You could get a protein powder and add a scoop in before you leave so that it has an extra bit in it to keep you feeling full. I usually keep a supply of frozen fruit in the freezer especially for smoothies because all the berries seem to be cheaper frozen rather than fresh.

Usually what I do is on a Sunday I make a bit pot of soup and a bit pot of whatever dinner from AFR and usually they last me most of the week for lunches and dinner. The less I have to do in the evenings after work the better because I am always exhausted from meds. Then when I run out I make up something like a pasta, TVP, whatever bits of stray veg I have left and a tin of chopped tomatoes with whatever herb or spice I can lay my hands on.

Actually, what is lovely with some spagetti is the breakfast chorizo in VWAV, just use spray oil to cut back on the points. It's nice and filling and feels like comfort food.

Oh.... another tip that worked really well for me was to meal plan for the entire week... snacks and all. It really helped me stave off the cravings because I knew what I was going to be having.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:05 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Im enjoying the smoothies, but unsure how to calculate them.

The one I made tonight is 13 points! Yikes! I guess it's ok since it will get me through the morning/early afternoon. I'm just taking some AFR hummus made in a quesadilla for lunch (4 pts).

But, the bananas are adding a lot of points. They say zero unless I use the recipe builder. I'll work on modifying ingredients to get a lower value, but in the meantime, should I suck it up and do 13, or lower it to 8 or 9 by subtracting the banana?vive also got 3 pts of almond butter, some dates, and 1 cup almond milk.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:49 am 

Don't use the recipe builder -- just enter the individual ingredients into the tracker and save them as a meal for future use. That way it won't count your fruits for points. The recipe builder is for things with multiple servings. Sounds like you should just be counting the almond butter, dates, and almond milk if the rest is fruit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:27 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

karichelle wrote:
Don't use the recipe builder -- just enter the individual ingredients into the tracker and save them as a meal for future use. That way it won't count your fruits for points. The recipe builder is for things with multiple servings. Sounds like you should just be counting the almond butter, dates, and almond milk if the rest is fruit.

Oh, I didn't know you could do that with smoothies. Is that true for salads, too? I hope so. I only count the beans, avocado, and croutons on my salad even though it is loaded with veggies (I just do balsalmic vinegar as my dressing).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:56 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm just scared that doing that will backfire and I'll weight back. Its so confusing. I'm just doing the online and wish they have a better start guide. Maybe I'm missing stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:37 pm 

Let your weight loss be your guide. Unless you are eating 3 bananas every day, it's unlikely that you'll have adverse issues with fruit as far as your weight loss goals. (And none of us are here because we ate too many bananas.) ;) You want this to be a lifestyle change and something you can stick with for good, or else the weight won't stay off. And you don't want to live in fear, right? If you notice your weight loss slowing because of smoothies, then it's time to look at counting them. But I would start off not counting them, especially if you aren't eating a ton of other fruit throughout the day.

Salads should be entered as individual ingredients into the tracker as well, then saved as a meal if you want to reuse it later.

As a general rule of thumb, the recipe builder is for multiple-serving recipes, so you can break each serving down into its own PPV. It will count fruits & veggies because it's just calculating the overall nutritional information for the recipe and spitting out a PPV. Unless something is extremely heavy with carby fruit or veggies (like carrots or butternut squash) it doesn't really affect the PPV of the recipe that much. So if you're making something with one serving, don't use the recipe builder.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:01 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I'd also say let your weight loss be your guide, but in our WW meeting they recommended a) counting points for any fruit over 2 servings a day (based on the 2 servings of fruit, 3 servings of veggies expectation which is the budget they've worked into the new points system - fruits and veggies aren't actually points-free, their calories are just worked in by the new adjustments in points allowances and how to calculate points) and b) counting points for fruit most of the time when you're not eating it in a whole form - you can pack in hundreds of calories in a smoothie just from fruit, it seems a little risky not to count that because your body registers fullness so differently when you drink something vs. eat something. It'd be tough to eat 2 mangos, a banana, and a cup of strawberries for breakfast, but I could drink that down in 10 minutes in a smoothie and possibly still want something to eat.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:04 pm 

There is nothing in the plan information that advises counting fruit over any amount of servings per day. I'm not sure why some leaders choose to say this, but it is definitely not part of the plan. There is no set number that WW has said is "built in."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:22 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

WW here don't say anything about counting fruit or veg unless you are eating a bucket of the stuff at a time.

Oh.... is there any lower fat waffle recipes? You could make them at the start of the week then each morning toast one up and you can eat it on the go. Would go lovely with a fruit smoothie.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:12 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I totally get why some leaders would say it (see my explanation above). Many people aren't able to lose if they're overdoing fruit, so if that winds up being you, it's something to pay attention to. Clearly there is a built in expectation of the average fruits/veggies that people will eat, even without them publicizing that, because they are setting caloric targets within the point system. Even if they're healthy, they have calories! And the points are (mostly) just simplified calorie counting, with slight modifications to encourage healthier choices (higher fiber, moderate protein, lower fat). Since the points wind up allowing you very few calories anyway (especially for women, and especially for women with not much to lose), it winds up not much mattering if you go crazy with fruit because you'll still be eating low enough to keep losing, but for people who are near their goal and are working with a very small caloric deficit, it might matter a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:18 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm more worried about losing than maintaining. Losing is hard for me because I already eat low calorie because of my gastric bypass. I just need to lose the weight I gained and never lost after back surgeries.

Now my scale isn't working. I was supposed to weigh today. My bathroom scale got moved and now I can't find a position on the tile that gives a reasonable weight. I,either get a 2 digit number, or something 15-20lbs heavier than I know I am. Ugh. Nowhere flat in the house for it to work. Maybe I need to find a scale that doesn't sit flat on the floor.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:22 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I didn't do too badly today. I had a strawberry banana cucumber kale smoothie, a small handful of roasted mixed nuts, a brown rice chickpea burger patty with some AFR hummus, a few tortilla chips, one small Lucy's cookie, and for dinner, a small baked potato with some canned collard greens, nooch, and baked BBQ tofu from Let Them Eat Vegan.

I stayed right on points and had what felt like a boatload of food. My whole dinner was only 8 points for a lot of food, and most of that was for the potato.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:59 pm 

Great job :) That's how Power Foods can really help you out! Lots of bang for the PP buck.

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next