| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13618 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126 ... 545  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:47 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

It's hard not to feel unimportant when your family orders pizza and bread sticks and doesn't ask you if you want anything. When I confronted my dad he countered, "I made you breakfast potatoes this morning." Um no, you made those for yourself!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:54 pm 
Semen Strong

That sucks Amelie!

My MIL does the same thing to me at every holiday. So I no longer go. No better way to tell someone how little they care about your comfort and happiness than not making them any food.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:07 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

stellamarie wrote:
torque wrote:
Then my sister came downstairs and started the whole "they weren't really that good, health food store kind of crepe".

Oh that is just the worst when some crasshole not only helps him/herself to your special treat but then has the nerve to complain about it.

Agreed. My sisters used to pig out on the cupcakes I had worked so hard to make and then say they weren't even that good. forking rude!

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:33 pm 
WELFARIST!

Amelie wrote:
It's hard not to feel unimportant when your family orders pizza and bread sticks and doesn't ask you if you want anything. When I confronted my dad he countered, "I made you breakfast potatoes this morning." Um no, you made those for yourself!

That's what the people at my old college house did. They'd all order food together and watch a movie. They mentioned they were buying pizza's and stuff so I asked them if they could get one pizza with a cheeseless half and I'd pay for that and they said yeah and when the pizza came they were all meat and cheese and they didn't say anything about it. I think I ended up ordering something for myself later on and sitting in my room feeling ostracized. They did that a lot and never asked me to join.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:45 pm 
Chip Strong

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Amelie wrote:

That's what the people at my old college house did. They'd all order food together and watch a movie. They mentioned they were buying pizza's and stuff so I asked them if they could get one pizza with a cheeseless half and I'd pay for that and they said yeah and when the pizza came they were all meat and cheese and they didn't say anything about it. I think I ended up ordering something for myself later on and sitting in my room feeling ostracized. They did that a lot and never asked me to join.

Ugh, my roommates have done this. There have been a few times where a few of them would decide they wanted to have a taco/japanese/whatever night, and will make stuff and offer it to everyone.... but me. Most of the time, there were things they made that I could have eaten as is, or they could have set some aside before they added the non-vegan stuff, but nope. I would never expect them to go out of there way, but not even being like, "hey, help yourself to whatever you can eat," when everyone else is included is just rude.

I actually had someone (who at the time was one of my best friends) have a brunch party thing for all of our friends, he even invited people he rarely talks to, but then didn't invite me because (and he actually said this to me) "I didn't want to have to make you anything." When he told me, I said that for future reference I'd rather be invited and have to bring something along for myself than to be left out just because I'm vegan. And then a few months later he had a NYE party and did the same thing because they were going to have pizza and "You can't eat cheese."

Unsurprisingly, we are no longer close.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:31 am 
Not NOT A Furry

The anti meat-like foods thing. "Why be vegan if you want to eat ham?" How is it a contradiction that ham tastes nice and hurting pigs is bad? Arg.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:25 am 
WELFARIST!

I knew a teacher in high school like that. She was one of those uber spiritual types and she said to me one day (in a patronizing tone),"If vegetarians want to eat products that remind them of hot dogs and other meat then maybe they weren't meant to be vegetarian." Then she looked at me like she had just said the most original and genius thing ever and was waiting for me to praise her superior mind and cast away my ignorant beliefs.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:36 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Cgvegan wrote:
The anti meat-like foods thing. "Why be vegan if you want to eat ham?" How is it a contradiction that ham tastes nice and hurting pigs is bad? Arg.

This is the silliest thing. And yes, every time someone says it they seem to think they're the first person to think of it, ever.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:07 pm 
Nailed to the V

Amelie wrote:

Yesss, this reminds me of my when my friends get drunk and order Dominos. I tell them they are the worst, I cry from being left out, and somehow (crying, intoxicated) order Hammy's.
But family! Aw.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:16 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Finding out someone is vegan = YAY!

Finding out that they are vegan only for heath reasons, and constantly talk about how much they miss bacon = BOO.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:56 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Chicki wrote:

Finding out that they are vegan only for heath reasons, and constantly talk about how much they miss bacon = BOO.

Aww. How long have they been at it? I know that I didn't initially go vegetarian for ethical reasons, but that was something I found and really grew into after the fact, so I mean, that sometimes happens.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:00 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

kilgore trout wrote:
Chicki wrote:

Aww. How long have they been at it? I know that I didn't initially go vegetarian for ethical reasons, but that was something I found and really grew into after the fact, so I mean, that sometimes happens.

yep, it does. I managed to eventually convert my husband into a full vegan for all the good reasons, and not just health related... it took a few months, but he knows why now and wont go back to his old ways :)

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:06 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I had a friend come over for breakfast bagels the other day and she made the weirdest face when I offered her tofu cream cheese. We had other spreads too (hummus, PB, jam, etc.) but she clearly wanted cream cheese, so it was a "I wish these people had normal cream cheese?" type face. She sort of reluctantly said she'd try it, and as I was spreading it she said "Well, that's an INTERESTING color." Really? It's white! Is dairy cream cheese a dramatically different color than white?!

Anyway, she ended up liking it fine. It wasn't really a big deal, I just wish people would try new stuff without the little comments beforehand. If she'd genuinely thought it was nasty after she tried it then that's a different story, but she ended up eating more than one bagel with the stuff so it couldn't have been too bad. :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:25 pm 
Semen Strong

Limone wrote:
I just wish people would try new stuff without the little comments beforehand.

Hahaha! I hate that vegan food has to prove itself to be good. Honestly, you know me, I eat good food, why wouldn't you trust that I would provide you with something yummy?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:30 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

My kids look at new stuff for a while and then say (dubiously) "is this veeeeegan?"!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:48 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

kilgore trout wrote:
Chicki wrote:

Less than a yeah I think. And he is Gluten Free too, also for health reasons, not an intolerance or anything.

He is kind of a big guy, and he mentioned losing a lot of weight, and how good he feels now and stuff. He is a nice guy, and didn't harp on bacon too much...just a tiny peeve. I think he was jelous that I was eating a delicious fresh-made blueberry bagel, that's when he mentioned bacon!

I will probably see him a lot when I travel, so it will be nice to have a restaurant buddy! I see lots of mexican and asian restaurants in our future.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:02 pm 
Grandfathered In

I'm not sure it's very helpful to categorize people's reasons for going vegan as "good" or "bad."

I went vegan (more than 18 years ago) for health, environmental, and political reasons. My thinking has grown and changed over time. And, to be honest, the reason I'm still vegan on a day-to-day basis is as much routine—and the fact that I have now incorporated it into my identity—as anything else.

If people go vegan "only" for health reasons, but they remain vegan, you have no way of knowing what's keeping them there.

I don't think it does any good to denigrate people's reasons for making big, positive changes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:12 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

FootFace wrote:
I'm not sure it's very helpful to categorize people's reasons for going vegan as "good" or "bad."

I went vegan (more than 18 years ago) for health, environmental, and political reasons. My thinking has grown and changed over time. And, to be honest, the reason I'm still vegan on a day-to-day basis is as much routine—and the fact that I have now incorporated it into my identity—as anything else.

If people go vegan "only" for health reasons, but they remain vegan, you have no way of knowing what's keeping them there.

I don't think it does any good to denigrate people's reasons for making big, positive changes.

Exactly this. I'm all for any reduced consumption, so even gimmicks like meatless Mondays or vegan until dinner or whatever the hell don't peeve me at all. Look at the impact difference over a month: 1 person goes completely vegan or 100 people do meatless Mondays. Of course I pulled those numbers out of my asparagus, but baby steps by the many is always going to outweigh the marathon by the few, especially if we want to see widespread and lasting changes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:16 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Yeah, to me it makes no difference why someone chooses to be vegan. The end result is the same.

The only thing that sucks is that a dietary/health vegan might still wear leather and use non-vegan cosmetics, etc. But it's still WAY better than someone not doing anything at all.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:18 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

This plays into my current pet peeve: vegans criticizing other vegans for not being activists, or not being "boots on the ground" enough, or not caring enough. That sentiment has made me delete a couple of former/not active PPKers from Facebook. One guy made some critical comment about the a vegan bakeoff that happened in Toronto, and people were talking on Facebook about how it was so surprising how many Canada Goose (fur-trimmed) jackets were at this event. He chimed in with, "When veganism is reduced to consumerism, what more can you expect?"
He's also made lots of other snarky comments on Facebook about foodie vegans...shiitake like, "get out of the kitchen and into the streets, your cupcakes aren't saving the animals!"
Dude. Shut up with your chastising.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:30 pm 
A Bad Person

Oh hey! You may have found a hit-and-run PPK troll! I recall someone in the past posting "get out of the kitchen and into the streets, your cupcakes aren't saving the animals!" Or something like that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:33 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

ahaha! I actually recall thinking it was that person, since the messaging seemed the same.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:02 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

I posted last night on FB that the boyfriend is sick due to dehydration...I got a comment that he needed to eat more beef and other stupid comments from people I could give a flying fork about.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:08 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Beef, nature's #1 source of moisture.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:08 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Yeah, I can see how eating beef would be a good cure for dehydration. Who needs fluids or electrolytes?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13618 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126 ... 545  Next