| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: alkaline / acidic diet?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:17 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Has anyone ever followed an alkaline / acidic diet? What do you think of it? I'm thinking of trying it for bladder issues. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: alkaline / acidic diet?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:23 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Quackery...

To clarify: This diet hasn't actually been tested and the pH of your bloodstream is maintained within a certain range (depending on whether it's arterial or venous). Just because the pH of your urine can be influenced by food doesn't mean that that applies to the rest of your system. http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2006/ ... _woo_1.php

Last edited by Chipmunk on Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:50 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Recently I've been trying to include more alkaline food in my diet after having a really really bad (first time) experience with acid indigestion, but beyond that... I don't really know of a specific diet.

Formerly rad.badger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:59 pm 

Chipmunk wrote:
Quackery...

To clarify: This diet hasn't actually been tested and the pH of your bloodstream is maintained within a certain range (depending on whether it's arterial or venous). Just because the pH of your urine can be influenced by food doesn't mean that that applies to the rest of your system. http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2006/ ... _woo_1.php

I've heard this. But I'm not as concerned with the acidity of my blood as the acidity of my urine. I have a bladder disorder so if I could make my urine more alkaline, I figure it can't hurt.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:50 pm 

I'm not sure what alkaline urine is supposed to achieve, but cranberry appears to work for UTIs because the proanthocyanidins stop bacteria from sticking to the bladder epithelium. There's a review on UTIs and diet (http://www.springerlink.com/content/ht0 ... ltext.html) that speculates it's the flavonols in berries that have a protective effect, not the pH (which doesn't appear to change http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1052 ... t=Abstract). This might not address your specific issue though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:25 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

I've done this, and when I was really paying attention and eating an 80/20 alkaline/acid diet, I noticed that my skin looked better than it ever had. I'm not home right now, but if you'd like, when I get home this weekend, I can pm you a list of what I ate that seemed to have the most effect. I also have ph testing strips and would check my urine throughout the day every so often to see how much a certain food would effect me. Quite interesting, I thought.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:49 am 

gaia13 wrote:
I've done this, and when I was really paying attention and eating an 80/20 alkaline/acid diet, I noticed that my skin looked better than it ever had. I'm not home right now, but if you'd like, when I get home this weekend, I can pm you a list of what I ate that seemed to have the most effect. I also have ph testing strips and would check my urine throughout the day every so often to see how much a certain food would effect me. Quite interesting, I thought.

that would be great! thanks!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:05 pm 
Grandfathered In

Can someone explain the connection between acid/alkali foods and acid indigestion?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:24 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

FootFace wrote:
Can someone explain the connection between acid/alkali foods and acid indigestion?

Are you talking specifically about heart burn or GERD? The stomach produces extremely acidic gastric juices so it doesn't necessarily raise the pH if you eat acidic foods. Usually acid indigestion is caused by a weak esophageal sphincter which allows stomach contents and acids to splash onto your very delicate esophageal membranes. Different types of foods trigger the pain in certain people. High fat meals digest slower in the stomach which will leave food in the stomach longer, prolonging the pain.
I'm not an expert at GERD or acid reflux or anything, but I think it's safe to say that non-acid foods will lower your stomach's naturally high pH, which reduces reflux pain (as opposed to acidic foods raising pH- they really can't unless you drink battery acid). Try to balance out meals with plenty of low-acid things or just pair up a pain-triggering meal with something that could lower the acid like bread, or just drink plenty of water with meals. Water may or may not help, if a person over-produces acid it'll just cause a full stomach and more pain, but it could dilute normal amounts of stomach acid.

Is that what you were looking for? There's tons of info online about acid indigestion!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:47 pm 

sprout wrote:
Has anyone ever followed an alkaline / acidic diet? What do you think of it? I'm thinking of trying it for bladder issues. Thanks!

I think it's worth a shot to try to lower the acidity of your urine for comfort/health reasons. Urine is pretty much a direct reflection of the acidity/alkalinity of your blood, and blood pH is extremely well controlled by the body. Eating more acid/alkaline foods may force your body to excrete the acid/alkalies through your urine or breath, but I don't know how strong of an impact it would be.

eta: I've never followed one before. If you can, try consulting with a Registered Dietitian or a doctor about this type of diet, or at least find credible info online (most diets online are a crock of shiitake).

sprout wrote:
I have a bladder disorder so if I could make my urine more alkaline, I figure it can't hurt.

First, have you tried drinking water and hydrating yourself to the point that your urine is clear with no color? That is the easiest way to dilute the acids in your urine.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:57 pm 

I found this on GERD and lifestyle modification:
http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/166/9/965
And this on glycemic control and gastrointestinal symptoms:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18794593

kibbles wrote:
The stomach produces extremely acidic gastric juices so it doesn't necessarily raise the pH if you eat acidic foods.

Low pH is acidic. It's defined as the negative log of the hydrogen ion activity, which makes the whole thing flip around. As mentioned on the scienceblog I linked to, it also means that moving from a pH of 1 to 2 means a 10-fold change in concentration.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:11 pm 
Grandfathered In

kibbles wrote:
FootFace wrote:

Are you talking specifically about heart burn or GERD? The stomach produces extremely acidic gastric juices so it doesn't necessarily raise the pH if you eat acidic foods. Usually acid indigestion is caused by a weak esophageal sphincter which allows stomach contents and acids to splash onto your very delicate esophageal membranes. Different types of foods trigger the pain in certain people. High fat meals digest slower in the stomach which will leave food in the stomach longer, prolonging the pain.
I'm not an expert at GERD or acid reflux or anything, but I think it's safe to say that non-acid foods will lower your stomach's naturally high pH, which reduces reflux pain (as opposed to acidic foods raising pH- they really can't unless you drink battery acid). Try to balance out meals with plenty of low-acid things or just pair up a pain-triggering meal with something that could lower the acid like bread, or just drink plenty of water with meals. Water may or may not help, if a person over-produces acid it'll just cause a full stomach and more pain, but it could dilute normal amounts of stomach acid.

Is that what you were looking for? There's tons of info online about acid indigestion!

Someone upthread mentioned acid/alkali and acid indigestion and I wanted to know what that meant. Is all.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:58 pm 

Chipmunk wrote:
I found this on GERD and lifestyle modification:
http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/166/9/965
And this on glycemic control and gastrointestinal symptoms:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18794593

kibbles wrote:
The stomach produces extremely acidic gastric juices so it doesn't necessarily raise the pH if you eat acidic foods.

Low pH is acidic. It's defined as the negative log of the hydrogen ion activity, which makes the whole thing flip around. As mentioned on the scienceblog I linked to, it also means that moving from a pH of 1 to 2 means a 10-fold change in concentration.

You're right, my bad. Sometimes I forget that low numbers means high acidity!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:20 pm 

I figured you just had them switched. I get my right and left mixed up when I'm talking about directions...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:10 am 

Chipmunk wrote:
I figured you just had them switched. I get my right and left mixed up when I'm talking about directions...

But your left hand makes an L with your thumb!! :)