| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:46 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

good tip about the 8" round pan.
i would assume to use a 8" square, but the area is a smidge bigger than a 8" round

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:39 pm 
Tofu Pup

I've had 2 failed attempts at the Thick Chocolate Fudgey Frostin'.

I'm thinking it's the soy milk powder. First I used Now Foods brand. The frosting tasted like junk. So, I made a cup of milk from it and it also tasted like junk. Then I tried Better Than Milk brand. A glass of milk tasted fine. The frosting tasted just OK, but it was all grainy and separated. Neither brand was flavored or sweetened, like the book says. The Earth Balance and all other ingredients were at room temp (which, for us, is around 65). Ideas?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:05 pm 
ugh

My teenage sister has asked me to make the margarita cupcakes for her birthday, but obviously I don't want to put tequila in them. Any tequila substitute suggestions?

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:34 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

i always need replacement ideas for the alcohol in these recipes. such a bummer :(

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:12 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Tried the orange pudding cupcakes, but without the chocolate since I don't really like dark chocolate with orange. I thought they were way too sweet. Maybe I'll try them again some time with some of the orange juice and zest replaced with lemon.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:38 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

b.vicious wrote:
My teenage sister has asked me to make the margarita cupcakes for her birthday, but obviously I don't want to put tequila in them. Any tequila substitute suggestions?

well since it's just 2 TBS tequlia, you could probably just use an extra 2 TBS soy milk.
I'm not sure I would recommend using an extra 2 TBS lime juice because that might affect the overall pH of the cupcake batter and might affect leavening.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:40 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

question about the golden vanilla cupcakes: do y'all make it with the non-dairy or canola oil? i was leaning toward the canola oil since it's inexpensive compared to earth balance, but i was planning on making a 2 layer cake with the batter so if the non dairy butter tastes better, i want to know ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:15 pm 
ugh

bookwormbethie wrote:
b.vicious wrote:

well since it's just 2 TBS tequlia, you could probably just use an extra 2 TBS soy milk.
I'm not sure I would recommend using an extra 2 TBS lime juice because that might affect the overall pH of the cupcake batter and might affect leavening.

Solved here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25654&p=707088

bookwormbethie wrote:
question about the golden vanilla cupcakes: do y'all make it with the non-dairy or canola oil? i was leaning toward the canola oil since it's inexpensive compared to earth balance, but i was planning on making a 2 layer cake with the batter so if the non dairy butter tastes better, i want to know ;)

I've only ever made them with canola and they taste great!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:12 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

thanks, and i should clarify, i plan to make 2 batches of the cupcake batter in 2 bowls, and pour into two 8" pans ;)

yay that canola oil came out tasting great! i just didn't know if the EB would add some "buttery" richness....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:05 am 
Nailed to the V

I made the chocolate mint cupcakes again and I just can't even believe how good they are. This time I had green food coloring so they presented much better.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:27 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

bookwormbethie wrote:

The only time I've attempted these cupcakes (and that was like 3 times in one night since I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong) using the EB sticks, I ended up with weird, greasy yucky cupcakes. I haven't tried making them with canola oil, but I have a feeling that would have solved my problem right there.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:23 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Freetahtah wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:

The only time I've attempted these cupcakes (and that was like 3 times in one night since I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong) using the EB sticks, I ended up with weird, greasy yucky cupcakes. I haven't tried making them with canola oil, but I have a feeling that would have solved my problem right there.

thanks, i definitely use canola oil, and i'll just make one 8" pan and see how they turn out....before i make two more ;)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:21 am 
Not NOT A Furry

amonik wrote:
Tried the orange pudding cupcakes, but without the chocolate since I don't really like dark chocolate with orange. I thought they were way too sweet. Maybe I'll try them again some time with some of the orange juice and zest replaced with lemon.

They were better after a couple of days - maybe because they were chilled?

I've also made

Basic chocolate cupcakes with coffee buttercream. Very good.
Lemony vanilla cupcakes with salty licorice buttercream (I used crushed licorice candy). Very tasty, although I'll use more candy next time.

I want to bake way more cupcakes than I want to eat, so I finish half of each batch, and freeze the rest of the cakes and frosting separately. I know the cakes are fine after defrosting, but I haven't tried the frostings yet, so that is next. That and tiramisu cupcakes - I started a batch of AVC Cream cheese today.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:44 pm 
Nailed to the V

I made the Chocolate Mint Cupcakes (again) for a family birthday, and my picky brother-in-law said that the mint was too overpowering in the frosting (but he was eating his 3rd one in a row when he said it). I really like the strong minty flavor - makes me think of a York Peppermint Patty. But I guess that's not for everyone. He tasted the cupcake and the frosting separately to make sure that's where the extra minty flavor was coming from. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:12 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

amonik wrote:
Lemony vanilla cupcakes with salty licorice buttercream (I used crushed licorice candy). Very tasty, although I'll use more candy next time.

Oh, that sounds good. I'll have to try that sometime!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:18 pm 
Nailed to the V

This may seem like a dumb question - but I need some opinions. For a baby shower I am hosting - I plan to make 12 vanilla cupcakes and 12 chocolate cupcakes. So, do I make 12 vanilla/vanilla and 12 chocolate/chocolate - or do I mix it up and do 6 choc/vanilla and 6 vanilla/choc? My personal favorite is yellow cupcakes with chocolate frosting, but I am thinking that in the cupcake trees, keeping them more simple would look prettier.

I may do a blue tint to the vanilla frosting, and there will be decorative something-or-others on the top.

Thankfully I am totally confident that they'll taste good no matter what! There is one guest with a chocolate allergy, which is why I picked the vanilla in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:55 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

a chocolate allergy?! that is so tragic!

i personally would mix it up, i ♥ yellow/vanilla cupcakes with chocolate frosting.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:03 pm 
Nailed to the V

Right??

I think it would be fun to mix them up more.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:26 pm 
Chard Martyr

what will the guest with the chocolate allergy eat if you do vanilla/chocolate and chocolate/vanilla. My favorite is yellow cake with chocolate frosting, too!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:14 pm 
And you never will.

ijustdiedinside wrote:
what will the guest with the chocolate allergy eat if you do vanilla/chocolate and chocolate/vanilla.

I think she meant she'd mix it like 6 V/V, 6 V/C, 6 C/C and 6 C/V?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:21 pm 
Nailed to the V

Yes, so there would be 4 different combinations.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:26 am 
Tofu Pup

Substitute for soy milk powder please. I am making the cashew butter cardamon cupcakes with the rich cashew butter frosting, on page 128 and in the front of the book I could not find a replacement for the soy milk powder. Cannot do soy even though I am vegan. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:29 am 
Chard Martyr

I believe there are some brands that make rice milk powder. You can leave it out, but your frosting won't be as thick. You could maybe use powdered sugar as a replacement , but the sweetness will be affected.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:24 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I made the peanut butter cupcakes for the first time and they sank! Sad times! Followed the recipe exactly and used an oven thermometer. The only thing is that I weighed my flour instead of scooping. Maybe it was less than the recipe intended. (which is why everyone needs to get on board with weighing ingredients for baking. please and thank you.)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:24 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

ashley wrote:
I made the peanut butter cupcakes for the first time and they sank! Sad times! Followed the recipe exactly and used an oven thermometer. The only thing is that I weighed my flour instead of scooping. Maybe it was less than the recipe intended. (which is why everyone needs to get on board with weighing ingredients for baking. please and thank you.)

Yes!

Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next