| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 145  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:42 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

"The Beck Diet Solution" is by the daughter Dr. Aaron Beck, who helped create cognitive therapy. She has been a counselor herself for a few decades, often counseling people with weight issues. "The Beck Diet Solution" is a do it yourself guide for apply cognitive therapy techniques to learning how to stick with an eating plan of your choice. Some people like cognitive therapy, some people hate it, but the book has been out long enough for cheaper used copies to be out there, as well as library books.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:27 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

GAH! I'm doing so bad. I don't know what the hell is wrong with me. I do weight watchers but I completely lost focus a year and a half ago and have been up and down since then (more up than down). I still go to the meetings, though, because my mom guilts me into going. You'd think spending all this money would inspire me to go quickly, but nooooo. A few weeks ago, I got a little spark back (a kind of post-breakup self-improvement kick) and I went down 2.4 lbs that week and the next week down another 2.8. I was going to the gym, eating sensible food, and snacking on carrots instead of toast and leftovers.
But then last week, I wasn't feeling well so I didn't go to the gym. I was mostly okay foodwise except on the weekend when I spent a couple of days at a friend's house and ate what they made and had a couple of drinks. I knew it was going to be a gain, but I was not prepared for the 4.8 lbs that the scale showed! What the hell??? It's stuff like this that makes me completely lose my focus and check out again.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:11 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Did you also eat saltier stuff and not drink your water? Some of that could be water retention.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:23 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I finally got a scale. Thankfully my weight was around where I thought it was, because I would have been pretty bummed out if I was starting with an even more lofty goal than I thought.

Joyfulgirl, water retention seems pretty likely for fluctuations like that. My weight regularly fluctuates within a 3-lb or so range. That's why they say you should weight yourself at the same day and time every week for consistency, though that doesn't take into account that you may have eaten tons of salt or be having your period or other various factors that could cause you to retain water and bloat. Hell, the scale could be a bit off! It's seems really unlikely that you'd gain almost 5 lbs in a couple weeks unless you were really packing away the food. Having a couple of home-cooked meals and drinks isn't going to destroy everything, so don't despair, and keep it up with the healthy habits!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:09 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

*grump* The scale at the doctor thought I was at 172 w/clothes on (so maybe 170 w/them off, I guess?) which is stupid because I weighed myself before christmas and the scale said 168. I've been eating wayyy better since then and I measured this morning and I've definitely gone down in measurements.

It's gotta be all the food I've eaten today and the 5 mile race I did yesterday among other things. But still. Annoying & depressing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:22 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Measurements are a lot more reliable than a silly number on the scale! There are all sorts of reasons for the scale to be wacky. It could even be poorly calibrated. Who knows?

Congrats on the measurement loss!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:30 pm 

Thanks! <3 I saw your Weight Watchers thread the other day and wished I could help but since i"m not participating. :(

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:39 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

Thanks, guys! I'm trying to tell myself it's just water retention, but it's just hard to believe it. We'll see I guess. I just have to try not to lose motivation until next week.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:04 am 
Ninja Master

I'm having a bad week. Lady week about to start and all I want to do is eat.

Yesterday I made chickpea cutlets and instead of eating one and putting the rest in the fridge for leftovers I ate 3 over the course of the night. The last one I dipped in peanut butter and it was so effin good that I'm NOT EVEN SORRY! hahahaa.

I dug out AFR this morning and bought a crepe tonne of stuff to make up lunches and dinners to keep me on track.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:08 am 

baps wrote:
I'm having a bad week. Lady week about to start and all I want to do is eat.

Yesterday I made chickpea cutlets and instead of eating one and putting the rest in the fridge for leftovers I ate 3 over the course of the night. The last one I dipped in peanut butter and it was so effin good that I'm NOT EVEN SORRY! hahahaa.

I dug out AFR this morning and bought a crepe tonne of stuff to make up lunches and dinners to keep me on track.

I know what you mean. I just ate so much peanut butter & chocolate chips (together, separate, whatever) last night! I think I managed to stay in goal, but definitely not with the balance of foods I usually eat. Hah. (For me it was that my routine was thrown off because I had to leave work early and I had stressful news at the doctor's-not bad, but it's the 'not-knowing' right now)

I'm really glad I'm not making chickpea cutlets anytime soon because that sounds really good.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:56 am 
Ninja Master

Yeah it's really hard when you just wanna eat. I did put everything into MFP for the day and I was over my calories for the day by quite a bit, but not so much that it was scary so I'm not stressing. I will just stay longer at salsa tonight and dance my asparagus off.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:41 pm 
Impressive boner

I've lost 2kg of fat and gained 4kg of muscle.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:14 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

+1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:52 pm 
Grandfathered In

How do you determine whether you've lost fat and gained muscle, and how much? (Sorry if people have already discussed this upthread.)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I need to start paying attention to this thread again. Winter is making my pants tight. Also, food and sitting around.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:17 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

FootFace wrote:
How do you determine whether you've lost fat and gained muscle, and how much? (Sorry if people have already discussed this upthread.)

At my gym they have a body composition scale that works out your visceral fat, body fat / muscle percentage and bmi as well as showing you your weight.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:17 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

8ball wrote:
I've lost 2kg of fat and gained 4kg of muscle.

That's rad!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:34 am 
WRETCHED

jojo wrote:
FootFace wrote:

At my gym they have a body composition scale that works out your visceral fat, body fat / muscle percentage and bmi as well as showing you your weight.

And they are better at changes than precise numbers although hydration levels can alter them significantly. Basically a body fat percentage can be up to 5% off but a change is a change and generally fairly accurate. So a loss of fat, gain of muscle has a smaller margin of error than an exact number of fat/muscle.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:43 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I sent friend requests to those of you on MFP. I'm veganashley.

I'm currently frustrated because I have been very good at staying within my calories (currently maintaining), and I seem to be gaining weight. I'm not exercising right now due to a foot injury, so I guess maybe I need to reduce my calories even more, but it's hard. Maintaining still feels like dieting, which SUCKS. I only feel like I really get to eat a satisfying amount of food when I "earn" back exercise calories.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:01 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I just joined myfitnesspal as well if anyone wants to add me - my username is "Tomatini".

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:07 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I weighed myself Friday morning 129.2lbs. Just 3.2lbs away from my goal. I'm laid up with back pain since so I've been grazing on food out of boredom since that weigh-in. Hopefully by tomorrow I will be back on track though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:11 am 
Impressive boner

FootFace wrote:

I use a Tanita body composition monitor. It prompts me to enter my height, age and gender then it uses some sort of low energy pulse through the water in my body to determine the amounts of bone, water, fat and muscle within it. It then provides results for these and tells me my basal metabolic rate but as linalil said, there is a likely error margin. I hadn't used it since October, hence the rather large change in numbers.

I'm gaining weight rather than losing it, however I am losing fat. My clothes don't feel any different but I'm noticing slight changes in my shape.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:30 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

My scale, assuming I finally got it repositioned properly, seems to be moving all of a sudden! I think I am down almost 6lbs so far. It said 144 this morning. My plan is to get to 133 and reevaluate. I remember feeling good at that weight, mentally and physically. That's kind of where I maintained before my two back surgeries.

I have no idea how accurate this scale is; it could be that the 133 on the old scale is 120 or so on this one. I suspect this scale is too low because my doctors office visits are always enormous numbers, way, way off and Im still wearing size 10/12 stuff and don't see another 10lb loss getting me back into my old size 4/6 clothes.

I'm starting water aerobics first week of March. The country club here finally agreed to let the instructor open her class to non members and it will only be $100 per 3 month set of classes!

I think the smoothies are a nice change of pace. In theory, I'm saving all that latte money!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:44 am 

Lavawitch, I... do not trust doctors scales. For probably nonsensical reasons-ie it said I was 5lbs heavier than I thought I should be around.

So, despite eating an entire batch of cookies this weekend (hellloooo anxiety & boredom on saturday night), my measurements went down again! I'm going to go back to eating super healthy and listing everything and hopefully I'll keep on with this trend.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:21 am 
Bathes in Braggs

john1 wrote:
It is very simple. If you want to lose your weight you should take some exercise and also concentrate to your diet. You must take low fat and low carbohydrates food. With it you should exercise of your legs arms and tummy. Because these parts of body having much fat. And fat is high weighted content. So if you control your fat of body you are almost lose your weight.

I can't say I agree with this. I lost 48 lbs eating food that was often not low fat nor low carbohydrate. Medical researchers say that losing weight is only about taking in fewer calories (energy) than you burn. Any diet that works, works that way. Medical researchers also say there is no such thing as spot reduction through exercise ( example: sit ups to reduce a gut ). The only spot reduction that exists is surgery like liposuction ( and that can have undesirable side effects ).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 145  Next