| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13049 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127 ... 522  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:09 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

The local vegan group just posted some anti-oil bullshiitake on FB. It's fine if you think olive and coconut oils are "making us fat and sick," but it has NOTHING to do with veganism, so shut up already.

Last edited by ashley on Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:09 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Blood is a fluid!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:17 pm 
WRETCHED

In regards to 'health food vegans', I would have never become vegan if I didn't think it was overall healthier and I'm not comparing oreos to cheetos. I just thought vegans (and non-religious-based vegetarians) were crazy, that was based on my college days in California. Someone screaming 'meat is murder' isn't very convincing to me but start talking about eating excess cholesterol, hormones in animal products, the environmental concerns, etc, etc, that is convincing to me at least.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:25 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Limone wrote:
Beef, nature's #1 source of moisture.

heh heh. This is great.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:39 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

paprikapapaya wrote:
This plays into my current pet peeve: vegans criticizing other vegans for not being activists, or not being "boots on the ground" enough, or not caring enough.

That's a big thing for me. If you've seen If a Tree Falls there's a great clip of Suzanne Savoie speaking about this. She mentions how the ELF had a lot of people who were very critical of policies and practices in general, and having so many of that sort of personality in a group means there's a lot of criticizing amongst members as well. And if you can't get along with people you fundamentally agree with, the social movement can only be so strong.
There's also a very macho undertone to a lot of the 'boots on the ground' talk. And woe betide to those women who want to challenge the same ol' same ol' sexism wrapped up in a pseudo progressive talk.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:56 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

the same dude who said shiitake about the boyfriend needing beef is now saying that liberals are destroying farmers lives...different post...but i feel he is directing it to us....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:09 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Limone wrote:

Sigged!

Beef, nature's #1 source of moisture.--Limone

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:28 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

pandacookie wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:
This plays into my current pet peeve: vegans criticizing other vegans for not being activists, or not being "boots on the ground" enough, or not caring enough.

That's a big thing for me. If you've seen If a Tree Falls there's a great clip of Suzanne Savoie speaking about this. She mentions how the ELF had a lot of people who were very critical of policies and practices in general, and having so many of that sort of personality in a group means there's a lot of criticizing amongst members as well. And if you can't get along with people you fundamentally agree with, the social movement can only be so strong.
There's also a very macho undertone to a lot of the 'boots on the ground' talk. And woe betide to those women who want to challenge the same ol' same ol' sexism wrapped up in a pseudo progressive talk.

PC you are the best.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:57 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Simply_Love wrote:
In your urban farming class? Really? That makes me sad. My university offers one as well, and I was thinking of taking it for fun next quarter since I only have like 11 credits planned right now. But now I'm thinking there is a good chance the same thing would happen. And then my fun class would turn into my, "If one more person says how much they'd hate to be vegan I am going to go insane," class, and that would be no fun. Boo, people are silly.

Yes, in the Urban Farming class. We have a lot of talk about killing the nutria (which are exotic invasive animals, I know, but man!), and we seem to have discussions about raising animals and how it's a shame that our Urban Farm on campus doesn't have any animals. If it did I would never have taken the class. On the days that we are working outside and learning how to many compost and sow seeds and useful things for growing plants I'm glad I'm in there. But I dread discussion days inside whenever it rains.

We did just get an assignment where we get to design and plan an actual garden space, which is terrific because I'm building a garden in my rental place this spring and our teacher will be able to give me all kinds of useful input about companion planting, and what kinds of compost to use, and bugs and diseases to watch out for and where I should put my beds for the best sun... but I could really do without all the vegetarian/vegan hate. I'm doing what I think is best for me and the animals and the planet and it hurts my feelings every time they launch into a vegan rant.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:29 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

Am I being picky but does anyone find it odd when non-vegans author/write vegan cookbooks? I am seeing this more and more lately...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:36 pm 
Semen Strong

missmuffcake wrote:
Am I being picky but does anyone find it odd when non-vegans author/write vegan cookbooks? I am seeing this more and more lately...

I think that Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian has made meatless meals seem very accessible to a large segment of people who would otherwise not be interested in veganism, and that is a good thing.

I am not sure what you mean by odd.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:26 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Check the best seller lists. Martha Stewart's book is right at the top. That's a lot of meatless meals that will be cooked that might otherwise not have been. Anything that makes vegan meals more mainstream is good. Who knows? It might even eventually trickle down to restaurants. Probably not, but one can hope for food beyond sad, undressed iceberg salads.

Martha Stewart even has a seitan recipe. I never thought I'd see that in a mainstream cookbook. I hope it's a good one.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:07 pm 
WELFARIST!

Limone wrote:

This just made me choke on my food!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:15 pm 
WELFARIST!

lavawitch wrote:
Martha Stewart even has a seitan recipe. I never thought I'd see that in a mainstream cookbook. I hope it's a good one.

Wow, really? That's kind of awesome actually.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:08 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

lavawitch wrote:
Check the best seller lists. Martha Stewart's book is right at the top.

Yes, I bought the book, I even started the thread. However Martha has a host of writers/butt wipers/staff/martha handlers and I do not think she is as avid as promoting veganisim as she is as getting $$$. No problem there, I expect that from a person in power. With her Whole Living magazine I saw really no MS name just more of her name as a brand.

What I am talking about is lately I have found a few niche - vegan books, promoting veganisim in a cool way but the authors are not vegan, do not blog about vegan food (if they do it is way limited) and the only thing vegan is the book. I feel that maybe it is odd to sell a book about veganisim when you are not vegan and seem to have no interest in veganisim besides the book.

Promoting veganisim because you are down for it and promoting veganisim for $$$ with no real interest is two totally different things.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:15 am 
***LIES!!!***

I don't think I've noticed that trend - examples?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:37 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

Well, I was curious about this book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/142362 ... PDKIKX0DER

The authors' blog (apron strings) is filled with meat and dairy. I see she did a tofu book, and the other author won a challenge with veg chili (I can't find any info on her). I searched vegan on her blog, a few entries came up, nothing really stood out. Things that are labeled vegan are not vegan. She talked about a veg thankgiving and there is a pic of a turkey...I just find it odd that they are doing a cookbook and the blog has little to no info on vegan cooking...I wonder why a vegan book?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:25 am 
Discovered unobtainium

But even if they are money grubbers, it still helps mainstream our food choices which will hopefully make life easier. I know people who would never buy a veg book, yet they already bought the Martha book just because of the name branding.

I'm probably not going to buy any of their books though, Martha aside.

The book you linked: the author is listed as a recipe developer in her bio. Could be she was just contracted by the publisher to write that book for the series. That does seem a little odd.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:50 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

ashley wrote:
The local vegan group just posted some anti-oil bullshiitake on FB. It's fine if you think olive and coconut oils are "making us fat and sick," but it has NOTHING to do with veganism, so shut up already.

Ugh, I totally know which post you're referring to. It's oh so great she managed to squeeze in some fat shaming among the oil hate too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:24 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I don't know what post you are referring to, but I imagine it looks like a lot of other posts that creep up on random veg facebook pages. And if you call them out on fat shaming, they will most surely explain to you how it is not shaming while they go on about how horrible fat is (also that fat people have to take medications which are tested on animals so they are superior vegans because they are slim slim slim... And oh, they just meant obese people and it is soooo hard to be vegan and obese so nobody could possibly be offended).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:52 am 
WRETCHED

Unfortunately, it is quite easy to be obese and be vegan. I also like if you do counter them then their response is OBVIOUSLY, you are eating too much fat so be vegan and eliminate the fat! Uhhh, really? I don't think so.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:01 am 
Semen Strong

missmuffcake wrote:
Well, I was curious about this book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/142362 ... PDKIKX0DER

Virgin Vegan? Hahahhaha! I like the idea that there are so many good vegan cookbooks out there with great reviews that people can make their own choices. A bunch of my friends have gone vegan in the last few years, and the first thing they do is ask their vegan friends which cookbooks to get :) I'm pretty sure most people would do something similar. I always steer people to Veganomicon for basics and AFR and the PPK, and everyone has been happy with that.

I did find it interesting how she bulked up her vegan cred "tofu chili winner! meatless cookbook! LIVES IN PORTLAND!"

And I sometimes feel guilty for being a fat vegan. All my paleo friends are slender (because they're all doing it to lose weight), and I know it makes other people want to go paleo.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:21 am 
Semen Strong

One of the most awesome advocates I know for a vegan diet and for animal ag reform etc still eats fish. She calls herself veganish, because she still eats a bit of fish at home. Not perfect, perhaps, but she is the person who goes to all the hearings in Trenton (2 hours away) on animal ag legislation and takes her kiddo (which I wouldn't do), she is a tireless worker in dog rescue and knows so many people and will network any animal for you. She is also the person who will give others vegan cookbooks, posts delicious vegan recipes and posts the animal articles and videos that go around.

She is so vocal and awesome, and the animals are so much better off for her contribution. I think if we start to harp on people like her as not being vegan enough, and push them out of the movement with our judgments, then we do the animals a disservice.

I think its easy to get caught in the ego fulfillment of being vegan as a measure of morality and goodness and judge others as not vegan enough. But at the end of the day, the more people who care about the animals or put out vegan cookbooks and mainstream meatless eating the better it is for the beasties.

Last edited by Tofulish on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:26 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Tofulish wrote:

And I sometimes feel guilty for being a fat vegan. All my paleo friends are slender (because they're all doing it to lose weight), and I know it makes other people want to go paleo.

NO SHAME. It obviously means we have waaay more awesome food than paleo people**

**This is just meant to say how awesome I think you are, T'lish, no matter what size you are and that you rep veganism in so many awesome ways that it doesn't matter that you're not the skinny vegan!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:27 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Tofulish wrote:

This makes no sense to me! Embrace whomever you are! Be a happy vegan, not a guilty vegan. I sincerely believe that most people seek happiness rather than slimness, material gain, attention, etcetera. We just don't always know it because there are so many road blocks that make us unsure of ourselves.

If that fails: more kitty photos.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13049 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127 ... 522  Next