| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crazy, Sexy Kitchen
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:34 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I am surprised there is no thread for this already. I made a few recipes already with just online sources.
http://www.amazon.com/Crazy-Sexy-Kitche ... 1401941044

Curried Nada-Egg Salad:
Made a half recipe of the Curried Nada-Egg Salad. Used black salt instead of the salt. I was surprised how much it reminded me of egg salad! Smeared overtop arepas from Viva Vegan.

A.J.’s Power Smoothie:
I liked this as a banana-less moothie but I suppose mango aint any better. Preferred this with raspberries instead of strawberries.

Wild Mushroom, Ginger, and Minted Brussels Pho Show:
Delicious soup. More complex than I thought it would be. I liked this better than the pho in VEW and it was simpler.

Post subject: Re: Crazy, Sexy Kitchen
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:10 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

The book looks good, very accessible ingredients. However....I hate Kris Carr so I cannot bring myself to buy it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:21 am 
WRETCHED

missmuffcake wrote:
The book looks good, very accessible ingredients. However....I hate Kris Carr so I cannot bring myself to buy it.

I know it isn't specifically about the cookbook but I think it is really the author that rubs a lot of people wrong. All I can think about are wheat grass enemas and I can't support such a person. It'd be like Dr Oz writing a vegan cookbook.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:42 am 
Seagull of the PPK

yes, definitely. i really believe she means well, but i think there is an implication that if you didn't beat your cancer, you didn't try hard enough. i do think she brings some hope to people with cancer, but i only survived mine because i was incredibly forking lucky, not because of anything i did.

i just went and looked at her site, because it's been a while since i read anything from her. again, i think she still means well and brings a positive message to being sick that isn't at all widespread, but there's still a lot of toxins-cleansing-mental kind of stuff. her recipes look decent enough.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:05 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I don't know anything about the author, but when I flipped through this cookbook at B&N the recipes looked really exciting.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:16 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

It appears that she didn't write any of the recipes. Which is fine, I guess, it's all about her brand, but I don't feel like I want to support her brand (and her Whole Foods chef because I've really never eaten anything particularly delicious from WF) when there are plenty of talented vegan cookbook authors doing it all.

And yeah. I was working for a vegan magazine where we had her on the cover several years ago, and it was right when my roommate was battling cancer. I am happy that she fought it, but I found her advice trite and judgmental.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:00 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I wouldn't buy it simply because I hate the title. Maybe I'm just too old-fashioned (or maybe I'm just too old), but I think the latest craze of kitchens and food being 'sexy' is silly and dumb. Let food just be food, for heaven's sake.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:12 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Yeah it's a forking awful name, though perhaps not quite as bad as 'crazy sexy cancer'.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:52 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

vijita wrote:
It appears that she didn't write any of the recipes.

The only recipe she advocates/talks about constantly is green juice and water...
while being vegan you are doing it wrong...which is a crock. Her book was just to much to handle about diet and being skinny...

Again the new cookbooks recipes look nice, the layout is nice but KC is just too much to handle.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:41 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

saveur wrote:
I am surprised there is no thread for this already. I made a few recipes already with just online sources.
http://www.amazon.com/Crazy-Sexy-Kitche ... 1401941044

Curried Nada-Egg Salad:
Made a half recipe of the Curried Nada-Egg Salad. Used black salt instead of the salt. I was surprised how much it reminded me of egg salad! Smeared overtop arepas from Viva Vegan.

A.J.’s Power Smoothie:
I liked this as a banana-less moothie but I suppose mango aint any better. Preferred this with raspberries instead of strawberries.

Wild Mushroom, Ginger, and Minted Brussels Pho Show:
Delicious soup. More complex than I thought it would be. I liked this better than the pho in VEW and it was simpler.

You read my mind! I saw this book on Amazon yesterday and was like "I have to remember to see if there's a thread for this!" Then of course I forgot. I don't know anything about the author but it looks like a good cookbook.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:22 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Yeah, I must admit I didn't know much about her either, but intrigued by the recipes online from her cookbook.... I always let recipes do the talking.

Her story is interesting, to put it mildly. Exploiting her cancer diagnosis, in my opinion. It isn't as aggressive as she makes it out to be.

For anyone else, I liked this article about her form the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/14/magaz ... d=all&_r=0

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:27 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

vijita wrote:
It appears that she didn't write any of the recipes. Which is fine, I guess, it's all about her brand, but I don't feel like I want to support her brand (and her Whole Foods chef because I've really never eaten anything particularly delicious from WF) when there are plenty of talented vegan cookbook authors doing it all.

And yeah. I was working for a vegan magazine where we had her on the cover several years ago, and it was right when my roommate was battling cancer. I am happy that she fought it, but I found her advice trite and judgmental.

Knowing she didn't write any of the recipes (and agreeing with your sentiment about the prepared foods at WF) is enough for me to bump this cookbook off of my wish list. Like you said, there's no shortage of amazing vegan cookbook authors to support.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:02 am 
Seagull of the PPK

from the NYT article
Quote:
“The gaunt, unhealthy vegan is the muffin vegan. Bread and fries and processed veggie dogs. It’s like, hello? Did you eat your vegetables? The plants are the root of everything in this lifestyle.”

le sigh.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:11 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

My muffins and veggie dogs and bread and fries were once plants, thankyouverymuch. shiitake, I love veggies, but I also like enjoying my life.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:18 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

torque wrote:
from the NYT article
Quote:
“The gaunt, unhealthy vegan is the muffin vegan. Bread and fries and processed veggie dogs. It’s like, hello? Did you eat your vegetables? The plants are the root of everything in this lifestyle.”

le sigh.

if all i ate were muffins, bread, fries, and processed veggie dogs methinks i would not be gaunt......

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:18 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

also i thought the "root of everything in this lifestyle" was not harming animals?

i want fries and a smart dog with lots of ketchup now :-/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:10 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Quote:
Rachel says there are some weeks in which dozens of packages arrive daily from companies hoping to entice Carr into a deal. She makes a small commission through endorsement of products. Currently, on her crazysexylife shopping page, the products she “loves” include nutrient supplements, water ionizers and portable saunas. She gets a cut every time her site leads to an online purchase. She says she sees herself as eventually becoming “the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval in the wellness world.”

Quote:
The only e-mails Carr is completely shielded from are those sent by people with a much more aggressive form of the same cancer as her own. Those messages go from the inbox to Fassett, who decides whether they should ever be seen by Carr. “I used to do it,” Carr said. “Read them. But usually these people are very, very sick, losing limbs. And it just affects me too hard, like, ‘Is that what is going to happen?’ It’s just too scary. So I tell myself: Move on, Kris. Grab a green drink, Kris, and move on.”

These were my two favorite parts of the NYT article. It's interesting that she monetized her illness.
She also seems to be reticent to face the fact that all the wheatgrass enemas in the world will not make cancer sexy or cool for everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:17 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Kris Carr may be a very nice person but the whole Kris Carr "Crazy, Sexy..." brand gives me the heebie jeebies. I'm really glad that her cancer is under control/in remission, and I'm glad that her lifestyle makes her feel happier and healthier, and I know she never actually comes out and says that her diet is a one-size-fits cure-all/preventative for cancer, but that is the implication and what a lot of people take from it. I've actually had a customer come into the store and buy one of her books for her father who has cancer and say "now I just need to get him to read this", as if he would be cured by wheatgrass enemas and the power of positive thinking.

This pretty much sums up why stuff like this peas me off to no end.

ETA: Also, this:

Vantine wrote:
It's interesting that she monetized her illness.
She also seems to be reticent to face the fact that all the wheatgrass enemas in the world will not make cancer sexy or cool for everyone.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Last edited by lepelaar on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:18 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

what is a water ionizer?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:27 am 
WRETCHED

LisaPunk wrote:
what is a water ionizer?

Although Wikipedia isn't the best source...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_ionizer

Basically, it breaks water up into hydrogen and oxygen, provides no proven medical benefits, etc. Also the same type of crepe that Dr Mercola pushes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:57 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

crazy! sounds like some Dr Oz shiitake.

im gonna have to look up this Dr Mercola character. i actually dont know anything about them

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:22 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lepelaar wrote:
-snip-

This pretty much sums up why stuff like this peas me off to no end.

-snip-

That was so good, Lepelaar. Part of the implication of food as medicine is that chronic or serious illness is your own fault. You did this to yourself. That's horribly unethical. Truth is that bad things happen to good people who eat tons of veg and exercise. That's just the way life is.

Quote:
One U.K. study I read, for instance, conducted on cardiac patients, showed that many of them blamed themselves for their illness, said they got what they deserved based on their bad smoking and eating habits. They even avoided medical care because of fear that doctors would be disgusted by or dismissive of them and would blame them further. Perhaps most telling, the study found that these attitudes were more common among the economically disadvantaged.

Personally, I object to a vegan diet being turned into another "alternative" therapy. That will not do anything to stop the abuses of factory farms and will not encourage people to stay vegan if they don't get magically well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:54 am 
Naked Under Apron

I bought this book ONLY because she didn't write the recipes (I wanted to throw Crazy, Sexy Diet across the room). I haven't made anything from Chad Sarno, but I think his food looks good! I just wanted more healthy recipes and some pretty pictures. Of course, it's been a few months and I still haven't used it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:48 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

I looked through it again at B&N last night because I cannot bring myself to buy it...At least 3 recipes are named 'crazy sexy'...It looks like a good cookbook with easy to find stuff (which I like) and some big name vegan cooks in it.....but again why Kris Carr!?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:32 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

You guys are a tough crowd. You guys beat the hell out of everyone who isn't Isa. So sad. Ok, bring on the anger towards me now......I can take it.

So much anger on these boards. Awful negetivity.