| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 681 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:00 am 
Chard Martyr

I got brutal cramps with my first copper IUD, and lots of bleeding. It took about a year for the cramps to taper off. When I got my last one replaced I had barely any cramping at all, and my periods were normal (some discomfort, heavy days, but nothing crazy). I still think it's worth it because I hate the hormones.

Meggs, I totally second making sure the doctor does insertions often. I've told this story a million times in this thread and the old version of this thread, but with my first IUD I was stabbed in the cervix extremely violently and I honestly haven't ever felt more pain than the cramping that accosted me on my drive home. And then I bled for about two months. This second time I went to a sexual health clinic and was terrified, but it was nothing. They were pros.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:56 am 
Shopped till she dropped

Meggs wrote:
I'm going to the doc on Wednesday and am going to ask about IUD. Are there any specific questions I should ask?

I'm glad you asked this, 'cause I'm going on Friday, and I don't think I'll have time to read this whole thread.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:48 am 
Chard Martyr

Awesome questions. I am getting my "well woman exam" tomorrow (so I can get the STI test and other bloodwork done), and my period is due in about 10 days, so I figure it's a good time to look into all of this, and perhaps insertion can happen as soon as this month. If not, I'm not terribly bothered by my Nuva Ring, but I'd like something more permanent.
I have read this entire thread in the past but not in the last few months, so I'll look through and see pros/cons of Mirena v copper. My thoughts initially were copper due to not wanting hormones but I have a coworker on Mirena and she loves it. I really would like to not get my period or have it be very light (when I'm hormone-free/not on BC, it's not light and I feel awful during). The Nuva Ring has been brilliant with regard to that and not feeling like I'm taking loads of hormones.
Thank you for the responses, as I honestly wouldn't know the first thing to ask other than if they do the procedure!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:38 am 
Chard Martyr

Oh yeah, if you want light periods, the copper is not for you! My friends with Mirenas are very happy with them. Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:12 pm 
Chard Martyr

So, yay because my annual is done but boo because they had to refer me out to an Ob-Gyn for the IUD consult/insertion/etc.
So I have to do research and find which doc takes my insurance (because then it'll just be a $50 copay for specialty visit) and try to get in!
They gave me a list of possibilities, so I'll start there!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:47 am 
Chard Martyr

Another question, please. I started reading back through the thread and wanted to know how many of your partners felt the IUD?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:20 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Mine never felt anything. I have a copper one, and the stings are so light it's less than a thread, and soft.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:44 am 
Saggy Butt

Anek wrote:
Mine never felt anything. I have a copper one, and the stings are so light it's less than a thread, and soft.

Same here.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:00 am 
protein lump

michael can feel mine, but my IUD is a little low so the strings hang lower. that said, it's never been an issue - no puncture wounds or anything like that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:06 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Meggs wrote:
Another question, please. I started reading back through the thread and wanted to know how many of your partners felt the IUD?
Thanks!

He felt the strings on day 19 of my cycle for the first 4 or 5 months (bodies are so weird!). It's been almost 2.5 years now, and he's only felt them once since then.

He did point out that it never actually hurt to feel them, but it was really surprising each time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:40 pm 
Chard Martyr

Thank you for the responses. I love the PPKommunity. So helpful.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:19 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

Has anyone had an IUD that has a history of abnormal cervical cells? That's probably my main concern, especially since my appointment tomorrow is primarily a LEEP follow-up.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:19 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

I talked to my doctor about getting an IUD, and she was all for it. the only two BC brocures in the exam room were for Paraguard and Mirena. Good sign! She wants to wait to put it in until my latest pap results are back, but after that, I'm doing it! I've been waffling between the Paragard because of the lack of hormones and the Mirena for the lighter periods, but I think I've decided on the Mirena. My periods have been getting heavier, crampier and generally weirder in the last year, so that's pushed the Mirena ahead.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:05 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Hola, I have a history of abnormal cells and I had an IUD throughout the whole process and got one again. No problems.

My question: my acne is obviously from body hair, ie, testosterone. Is anybody else taking light estrogen-based bc with her IUD? I was offered the opportunity at planned parenthood if I still had abnormal bleeding and acne after the acclimation period of my new mirena. It has been 8 months now and I seem to be getting random bleeding and more facial hair everyday. I believe my experience is not typical, though, and I still recommend it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:03 am 
Chard Martyr

kara kara wrote:
I've been waffling between the Paragard because of the lack of hormones and the Mirena for the lighter periods, but I think I've decided on the Mirena. My periods have been getting heavier, crampier and generally weirder in the last year, so that's pushed the Mirena ahead.
Me too. I'd love not having more hormones but it's awful when I'm not on some sort of hormonal bc. Yet, the pill makes me nutso, so I'm going to go with Mirena if possible. I have an appt with an ob-gyn on Monday and I hope we can proceed from there with the IUD.

I guess I have another question based on Sra Nooch's experience- did people notice more side effects like acne and/or weight gain on Mirena? I tend to get those with the pill but not the ring.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:52 am 
Nailed to the V

Meggs wrote:
I guess I have another question based on Sra Nooch's experience- did people notice more side effects like acne and/or weight gain on Mirena? I tend to get those with the pill but not the ring.

I got more acne at first, but after about two months was back to normal. No weight gain. On the pill (only tried the ones with estrogen) I'm usually less zitty than I am when I'm not taking hormones, and don't tend to gain weight.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:00 pm 
Chard Martyr

Went for the consult today. Provided my labs come back okay, I'll have it inserted next Monday! I really liked the woman, she was very knowledgeable, and she said she's done "thousands. Probably 1-2 a week." So that was a good sign. I have to take that pill the night before and morning of, along with 800mg ibuprofen the day of.
I'm getting it done before work... hoping the cramping isn't so bad that I have to leave work.
Anyone have any advice based on personal experience with regard to working that day, how many days until sexytimes are safe, etc?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:37 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Meggs wrote:
Went for the consult today. Provided my labs come back okay, I'll have it inserted next Monday! I really liked the woman, she was very knowledgeable, and she said she's done "thousands. Probably 1-2 a week." So that was a good sign. I have to take that pill the night before and morning of, along with 800mg ibuprofen the day of.
I'm getting it done before work... hoping the cramping isn't so bad that I have to leave work.
Anyone have any advice based on personal experience with regard to working that day, how many days until sexytimes are safe, etc?

Thanks!

I am normally a baby when it comes to doctor stuff, but I had mine inserted at 8am and went straight to work (desk job) afterwards. I had mild cramps all day, but they were much milder than I usually get around my period, so I was fine.

I know the wait for (otherwise unprotected) sexytimes varies between the Mirena and the copper IUD (which I have), so I'm no help there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:14 pm 
protein lump

yeah, i forget what the waiting period was for sexytimes.

in terms of cramping, i took the day off when i had mine inserted, but i really could have gone in with no problem. i had mild cramping (less than what i would get around my period) and i actually felt better up and moving around rather than laying on the couch. i had fully expected to feel miserable so i had food and movies and a heating pad all ready to go and wound up not needing any of them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:37 pm 
Chard Martyr

vegetalion wrote:
I know the wait for (otherwise unprotected) sexytimes varies between the Mirena and the copper IUD (which I have), so I'm no help there.
esme wrote:
yeah, i forget what the waiting period was for sexytimes.
Aw, c'mon! No, that's cool. I can ask.

I really appreciate the votes of support for being able to go to work. I didn't even think about it until I'd made the appt and gotten to work.
Guys! I'm really excited about this!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:21 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I absolutely had to go home afterward. It felt like I was having a really bad cramp. I was totally fine about six hours later though. Also, the doctor told me I had to wait a week for unprotected sexytime, and that I could resume normal activities when I was ready. I had "normal activities" four days later and it was fine, albeit terrifying the first time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:50 am 
Chard Martyr

luckyklutz wrote:
Also, the doctor told me I had to wait a week for unprotected sexytime
Was that due to where you were with regard to protection? Like when they say you have to wait a week after you start the pill if you start it on a certain day?

I'm sorry you were in pain for 6 hrs! That sounds awful!
I'm still excited about this whole thing. Talk to me at 7am Monday and it may be a different story haha.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:07 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Meggs wrote:
luckyklutz wrote:
Was that due to where you were with regard to protection? Like when they say you have to wait a week after you start the pill if you start it on a certain day?

Yes, that's why! I think the range is like 7-10 days? BUT ASK YOUR DOCTOR, because that is a guess! But yeah, the wait is for the hormones to kick in properly. (And why the non-hormonal ones have different [as in no] wait time.)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:22 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Meggs wrote:
luckyklutz wrote:

I'm sorry you were in pain for 6 hrs! That sounds awful!
I'm still excited about this whole thing. Talk to me at 7am Monday and it may be a different story haha.

Yup, it was for the hormones to kick in. And the pain wasn't that bad, just like a big period cramp, and I slept through most of it!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:36 am 
Chard Martyr

My doctor said a week, and she said not to worry because there's no way I'd be feeling up to it, anyway (first doctor who gave me a bullet wound up my vagina), and she was right. She said it was to just be careful because expelling usually happens in the first week (if it's going to happen). But it sounds like you are super prepared and have a great and experienced doctor!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 681 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 28  Next