| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Anyone have a Roku box?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:11 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

linanil wrote:
I just went through Amazon prime and marked all the free tv shows I'd like to watch and it is over 20, most of them I've never seen. Some of them are newer like Downtown Abbey (season 1 & 2 are free I think?), some are older like Alias. Alias was one I watched when it first came out but figured it would be a fun one to watch a few shows with my husband to see if he likes it.

I have Amazon Prime and was so excited to see Alias pop up on the free shows a couple of months ago. Prime has tons of free shows and movies -- I've seen a bunch of shows I missed when they originally aired like Firefly and Dollhouse. Thinking about getting rid of cable since I basically keep it just to watch Person of Interest, Homeland, and a couple of shows on the History Channel... for about $60 a month.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:56 am 
WRETCHED

ilovemydogs wrote:
linanil wrote:
I just went through Amazon prime and marked all the free tv shows I'd like to watch and it is over 20, most of them I've never seen. Some of them are newer like Downtown Abbey (season 1 & 2 are free I think?), some are older like Alias. Alias was one I watched when it first came out but figured it would be a fun one to watch a few shows with my husband to see if he likes it.

I have Amazon Prime and was so excited to see Alias pop up on the free shows a couple of months ago. Prime has tons of free shows and movies -- I've seen a bunch of shows I missed when they originally aired like Firefly and Dollhouse. Thinking about getting rid of cable since I basically keep it just to watch Person of Interest, Homeland, and a couple of shows on the History Channel... for about $60 a month.

Is there anywhere online you can watch those shows? When we originally got rid of cable 7 or so years ago, it was because I only watched House Hunters. Usually when my husband is away, I'll make my own House Hunters marathon by watching it online. (he is ok with 1 episode, maybe 2 but he gets tired of it quick).

And we've never seen Firefly, that is also on our 'to watch' list.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:50 am 
So Totally Yiffy

This thread inspired me to downgrade so now I'm only paying $20 a month plus $6 for DVR and I still get the History channel. I asked for the $20 Welcome package even though I'm not new and they just gave it to me.
I don't think there's anywhere online to watch Person of Interest -- even on CBS's website you can only watch clips, not the full episodes. Older seasons of Pawn Stars and American Pickers are on Prime. Firefly was a great show by the way!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:09 pm 
WRETCHED

I signed up for the free Netflix month just to see... and their servers must've been having trouble last night. I was trying to show my husband the variety of tv shows but he got frustrated because the ones he tried didn't load. I'm guessing we won't go with Netflix.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:44 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I've noticed some problems with Netflix too over the last week... not sure what's causing it. I will say that it's not typical. At first I thought the problems were due to traffic when that "House of Cards" series was released, but it's been a few days so now I'm not sure.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:51 pm 
WRETCHED

So apparently, Verizon Fios was having a problem which is now fixed. We watched Walking Dead Season 1/Episode 1 last night and it is really good! There are also a lot of options on Netflix for TV, it seems more than Amazon. We might keep Netflix for a while.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:55 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Roku is the devil! The combination of a new Roku box, a few minor injuries, laziness, and crappy weather have led me to watch more TV in the last 3 months than I ever have, EVER. I am a slug. A mushy-brained, tv-watchin' slug.

I am now addicted to that little purple box.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:46 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

No kidding. We used to have to awkwardly plug a laptop into the TV which deterred us from watching too much, but now all bets are off.

I think it's interesting that streaming services are starting to offer original content. Like that "House of Cards" series I mentioned before, which is original to Netflix... it's actually pretty good, probably better than many of the series on broadcast TV right now. I hope that's a trend that continues, because I imagine it would allow interesting indie programs that wouldn't have a shot on "real" TV to get an audience.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:34 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Limone wrote:
I think it's interesting that streaming services are starting to offer original content. Like that "House of Cards" series I mentioned before, which is original to Netflix... it's actually pretty good, probably better than many of the series on broadcast TV right now. I hope that's a trend that continues, because I imagine it would allow interesting indie programs that wouldn't have a shot on "real" TV to get an audience.

The next season of Arrested Development will be on Netflix. So excited.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:44 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! Looking forward to it. I'm wondering how they will handle the passage of time, since the original series ended several years ago. The teens look like adults now and all that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:32 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Limone wrote:
The teens look like adults now and all that.

Michael Cera looks the exact same. Ok maybe not, but close enough.

I'm sure they'll pull "OMGZ COLLEGE" and leave it at that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:33 am 
WELFARIST!

Has anyone tried out any of the horror channels?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:35 am 
WRETCHED

I don't think I'd turn into a TV addict, I think those days are long behind me. I do like having an internet connected tv (living room) and dvd player (basement/where we exercise). I'm reliving my college/shortly after college days by watching Xena as I exercise. I was on my trampoline for 44 minutes last night (length of Xena episode). We also are enjoying watching Walking Dead with dinner. It is a shame that Netflix pulled exercise videos from their streaming service, that is something I'd like to try.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:28 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Has anyone tried out any of the horror channels?

I installed FrightPix at one point but I wasn't that into it. Lots of gore-type stuff, or low budget stuff that was bad but not bad enough to laugh at, neither of which I'm not really interested in. Amazon and Netflix have an OK selection of horror, and if you like Japanese/Korean/Chinese ones then Asian Crush also has some titles. So depends on what you're interested in I guess?