| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10585 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128 ... 424  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:29 am 
Semen Strong

lillianp wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

And I sometimes feel guilty for being a fat vegan. All my paleo friends are slender (because they're all doing it to lose weight), and I know it makes other people want to go paleo.

NO SHAME. It obviously means we have waaay more awesome food than paleo people.

So true!!! <3 <3 <3

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:34 am 
Chard Martyr

I know it is easier said than done, but we SO need to change the assumption that veganism is only about health/losing weight. I get shiitake for being vegan no matter what my body/health are like. I have honestly caught myself purposely eating junk food in front of specific people JUST to prove that I'm not a no-oil person starving myself. It's embarrassing when I reflect on it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:37 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

lavawitch wrote:

Martha Stewart even has a seitan recipe. I never thought I'd see that in a mainstream cookbook. I hope it's a good one.

I will try it and let you know (found a free copy of the book!)

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ TheVeganHammock

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:41 am 
WRETCHED

Tofulish wrote:
And I sometimes feel guilty for being a fat vegan. All my paleo friends are slender (because they're all doing it to lose weight), and I know it makes other people want to go paleo.

I feel no guilt for being a fat vegan. I know quite a few paleo people and even the most hardcore ones aren't truly paleo other than short bursts of time. They generally trend towards paleo ideals but many things they eat aren't paleo. Now I'm not saying that it wouldn't be cool to get people to eat more vegan-like but I think veganism is more sustainable than paleoism. I also imagine Paleo will disappear, like most fads, after a while.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:54 am 
Semen Strong

I don't feel guilty and I actually love my body a lot more now than when I wasn't obese. Its more because I know that people go vegan if they see that it is "working" for people (whatever their definition of working may be.) As an example, Leela is a healthy vegan kiddo - and three of my friends are vegan with vegan kids because of how great she looks healthwise. I can point to her and say "Look, she isn't starving, she hits all her milestones and she is healthy and adorable" and people want what I'm selling. In addition to people who have actually gone vegan, so many of the moms I meet have kids with dairy or egg sensitivities and now I've become a resource for them, because they see that it works for my kid. And that means that they're eating more crueltyfree meals and they trust me with the information etc. I am really proud to be able to advocate for the animals that way

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:21 am 
Keepin' It Seal

vijita wrote:
I know it is easier said than done, but we SO need to change the assumption that veganism is only about health/losing weight.
I'm doing my part. I'm vegan and gaining weight. 6 years and still going.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:49 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

joyfulgirl wrote:
vijita wrote:
I know it is easier said than done, but we SO need to change the assumption that veganism is only about health/losing weight.
I'm doing my part. I'm vegan and gaining weight. 6 years and still going.

I'm working on perfecting the rocket-power fart. That's really what veganism is about.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:07 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I get so many people giving me flack because I'm underweight. I'm just naturally skinny, same as my whole family. I eat plenty. But people are like "oh why are you vegan, you don't need to lose weight!" no, i dont, and i'm not! my diet has nothing to do with my weight!

when I was born, and when my brothers were born, the health visitor told my mum that bringing us up on a veggie diet would mean we wouldn't grow. well, we're all over 6' now and never eaten meat in our lives!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:45 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I don't care if people are vegan for health reasons but I hate when they get bisque-y if you are vegan for ethical reasones. I had to buy a supplement this weekend and the store I shop at was out...I went to the HFS that I do not like shopping at...The raw vegan girl was working and pointed me to the supplement that I need, I was like "I need vegan ones"...she was like "Oh ya"...She did not even know that the ingredients were animal derived. After finding suitable ones I ended up putting them away after almost checking out, they had them marked up by 50%. The customer service is so rude. I went home and ordered them online.

I hate that store. I was hard up to get what I needed. I will not go back. Last time I bought some natural vegan aspirin - I came home popped one and then thought they tasted funny...Well, ya they expired 3+ years ago. When I took them back, they acted as though I bought them 3 years ago and was trying to scam them...Ya okay....

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:35 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

missmuffcake wrote:
Am I being picky but does anyone find it odd when non-vegans author/write vegan cookbooks? I am seeing this more and more lately...

I am with you on this one. I'm not talking about Martha Stewart or Good Housekeeping putting out vegan books (because they are helping people who will buy their books no matter what discover meatless meals), but being on the ppk and feeling like buying cookbooks is supporting my friends and community, I have no interest in helping a random blogger cash in on veganism. There are a lot of vegan cookbook authors now and my dollars are limited.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:12 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

mrsbadmouth wrote:
but being on the ppk and feeling like buying cookbooks is supporting my friends and community, I have no interest in helping a random blogger cash in on veganism. There are a lot of vegan cookbook authors now and my dollars are limited.

Yes! I was trying to figure out exactly why I get irked by the idea and this is it!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:51 pm 
Semen Strong

missmuffcake wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:
but being on the ppk and feeling like buying cookbooks is supporting my friends and community, I have no interest in helping a random blogger cash in on veganism. There are a lot of vegan cookbook authors now and my dollars are limited.

Yes! I was trying to figure out exactly why I get irked by the idea and this is it!

I agree with MBM, but in my view that doesn't have anything to do with whether the authors are vegan or not. There are plenty of vegan authors/bloggers out there that I wouldn't support, because I don't care for their cooking styles and because I am part of the PPKarmy, following the Venomous Head of Veganism, in our vegan jackboots :) I have every cookbook Isa has ever written and the rest of mine are all from authors on the PPK. And one by Robin Robertson.

PPK4lyfe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:38 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I wouldn't support an author just because they're vegan, but I got waaaaay too many books that I can catch up with by vegan authors to take that money out and give it to random omni blogger. Maybe if I ever get through my massive vegan cookbook wishlist I might, but I don't think that's happening, something new and interesting is always coming out.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:45 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Honestly, I buy the cookbooks that seem like they have the greatest number of recipes I'll make. I never use Veganomicon and probably shouldn't have bothered buying it (I make tons of stuff out of my other Isa books), but I'm always happy I bought Fistful of Lentils (totally not vegan) or The Ethnic Vegetarian (vegetarian, but the author also wrote at least two other totally non-veg cookbooks) because those are things I use all the time - either just the actually vegan recipes or the easy-to-veganize recipes. If a non-vegan author wrote a totally awesome vegan cookbook with lots of useful recipes, I would probably buy it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:30 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I have a few non-vegan books (like Bean By Bean), so that's not an issue. If someone is writing a book and they aren't vegan, why are they writing it? And if their vegan recipes are so great, why aren't they vegan? If you can write a whole book of vegan recipes, I assume you know how to make food without eggs, dairy, etc.

And it's not like i'm all spitting on someone's book in protest, there are so many vegan cookbooks that I will always look at the random non-vegan bloggers book, then look at the vegan author's books and be able to pick out a book from that pool that I still want.

Unless of course, you're a former vegan blogger who went from being super militant to blogging about your day at the rodeo. Then your book can eat me.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:39 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I don't think "lack of knowledge about how to make vegan foods" is the usual reason people aren't vegan, I think it's the "don't have any ethical compunctions about who I eat" thing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:47 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

vijita wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

This makes no sense to me! Embrace whomever you are! Be a happy vegan, not a guilty vegan. I sincerely believe that most people seek happiness rather than slimness, material gain, attention, etcetera. We just don't always know it because there are so many road blocks that make us unsure of ourselves.

If that fails: more kitty photos.

My mom was a lot more supportive of me going vegan when she thought it was so I would loose weight. Unfortunately for her that was not the case and my sister let her know that. I have to say a big part of me going vegan was coming to terms with who I am and not being afraid of what others thought.

For the first time ever somebody tried to tell me about how they only eat locally raised beef and eggs and how happy the animals are. All I could think about was The Onion article.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:28 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

vixki wrote:
I get so many people giving me flack because I'm underweight. I'm just naturally skinny, same as my whole family. I eat plenty. But people are like "oh why are you vegan, you don't need to lose weight!" no, i dont, and i'm not! my diet has nothing to do with my weight!

when I was born, and when my brothers were born, the health visitor told my mum that bringing us up on a veggie diet would mean we wouldn't grow. well, we're all over 6' now and never eaten meat in our lives!

Yeah, I'm embarrassed to tell people that I'm vegan because I'm underweight, I don't want them to think that these two facts have anything to do with each other. A PT at the gym told me that I have to eat a lot of chicken and eggs and drink milk to grow, and when I told him that I'm vegan he laughed at me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:51 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Omni friend who thinks I'm a loony wants to pop by and I have NOTHING in the house, so I bake chocolate chip cookies, and then she shows up with fish fingers and doughnuts.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:13 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Yesterday: the girl behind the bakery counter who met my question about whether a certain bread contained eggs or dairy by blinking stupidly and saying, "They all have gluten." (Thanks so much; that was entirely unhelpful!)

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:22 am 
Chard Martyr

Love Child wrote:
vixki wrote:

Yeah, I'm embarrassed to tell people that I'm vegan because I'm underweight, I don't want them to think that these two facts have anything to do with each other. A PT at the gym told me that I have to eat a lot of chicken and eggs and drink milk to grow, and when I told him that I'm vegan he laughed at me.

I've had that a bit recently, because I've lost a bunch of weight and strength due to a complete loss of appetite. I do feel like I have to be a bit more defensive about my veganism, which sucks and shouldn't be the case, but everyone points at it. It's been particularly troubling with my coworkers recently, because we go out for drinks at pubs and they (without fail) judge me when I order a garden salad and fries (my only options!). I don't know if I'll ever get over how awkward it is to have to justify that I am allowed to have random health problems and it not be about my veganism. Or even if it is about my veganism, I am totally on top of it. How many omnis think about vitamin deficiencies such as B12? I nipped a health scare in the bud just by tuning in to my anemia, and I feel much better thanks to B12, vitamin C, and iron supplements. (NOTE: I do not condone self-diagnosis).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:41 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Unless of course, you're a former vegan blogger who went from being super militant to blogging about your day at the rodeo. Then your book can eat me.

Still too soon. I hate how upset I was (am) by this.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:23 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ndpittman wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:

i was going to say how much i loved that snippet cause it made me laugh but i guess i missed something. im guessing this like actually happened for real?

what an odd lifestyle change.

when i was researching stuff in Wyoming online for our trip to Yellowstone people on travel message boards kept telling me to go to a cowboy chuck wagon event thing and to make sure we went to the rodeo and i was like "ummm yeah......gonna have to say no to the public display of animal torture but do you have any suggestions for good hiking trails?"

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:53 am 
WELFARIST!

Desdemona wrote:
Yesterday: the girl behind the bakery counter who met my question about whether a certain bread contained eggs or dairy by blinking stupidly and saying, "They all have gluten." (Thanks so much; that was entirely unhelpful!)

Don't you know that gluten is made from eggs and dairy? Silly vegans!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:53 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

ndpittman wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:

what's this about? I'm guessing I don't want to know.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 10585 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128 ... 424  Next