| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5424 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142 ... 217  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:17 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

FootFace wrote:
I think I might have forgotten how to read.

One letter at a time, FF. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:34 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Hallucinations by Oliver Sacks. So far my favorite part has been his own experiences in the Altered States chapter but it has all been really interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:51 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Of course I loved The Orphan Master's Son. I had no doubt that I would, but wow. I just, I can't even. Some of it just ripped me apart.

I'm now reading I Am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley (a Flavia de Luce novel), for something light. I generally enjoy these books, but Flavia's precociousness is grating on me a bit right now. I'm not sure why. I'm hoping to get through it quickly and move on to Baker Towers by Jennifer Haigh (so I can then get her newer book if I like it; read the review of the newer book, and it sounds good though).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:05 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

the Beth Ditto memoir...i got it as a gift...i was about to pick it up.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Finished The Unicorn Sonata by Peter S. Beagle. Its no Last Unicorn, but I think it was meant for maybe 7-9 year olds, I probably would have loved it at that age. Also so far the only unicorn narrative I've found where a elderly woman of colour saves the day.

Now reading the Immortal Unicorn anthology.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:48 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I've been on a mystery/crime kick lately, so I started reading the Sue Grafton alphabet series a couple weeks ago and now I'm on "D". It's not exactly highbrow literature, but they're entertaining.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:53 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

They get a lot better. I think by F on she has really hit her stride.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:28 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Yeah, I already feel like they're getting better. If nothing else her descriptions of the various people the protagonist encounters is getting more interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:43 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

fruitbat wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
Going to start Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams today. I am pretty sure it's going to be awesome, but also make me sad. Awesome because Douglas Adams was the best but sad because the book is about endangered species.

Last Chance to See is indeed awesome.

oh yes, i read this book many years ago. it was excellent, and sad, but excellent.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:27 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I am rereading the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini. I received Inheritance (Fourth book) for Christmas 2011 and still haven't gotten around to reading it, because I am psychotic and need to reread the other three. And I lost Eldest for a while and I obviously couldn't move on to Brisingr without finishing Eldest.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:07 am 
Nailed to the V

I finished Le ventre de Paris a few days ago and it might be the least vegan novel ever.

(Interestingly, I had a blood check that week and I couldnt help but thinking of the black pudding making scene while the nurse was taking my blood :P)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:12 am 
Nailed to the V

FootFace wrote:
Quarantined wrote:
Footface- you liked Guy Delisle’s Pyongyang, right? I know you are interested in North Korea. Looks like it might be made into a movie:

http://comicsbeat.com/guy-delisles-pyon ... -attached/

I did!

I am!

Goody!

(cooool!)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:47 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I finished Bad Science the other day and moved on to Bad Pharma. Apart from a few instances where I felt he was writing for a male audience (e.g., when he suggested buying a kid's microscope and looking at "your" sperm), I really, really liked it. It was pretty eye-opening and rage-inducing, and so far, Bad Pharma is more of the same. If you read Bad Science and think you might want to read Bad Pharma, you can pretty much skip the chapter about pharma in BS because he repeats parts almost verbatim in BP.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:18 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

kara kara wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
fruitbat wrote:
I may actually have read I Am Legend before, but it was so long ago I'm not entirely sure. I'm going to have to read A Wrinkle in Time in translation which is something I usually hate, but I didn't feel like buying the book and translation is all my libraries are offering. I chose the newer translation hoping it won't drive my crazy. Not holding my breath, though.

A Wrinkle in Time is one of my childhood favorites! I hope you like it.

Ditto! I've read it countless times and was mildly obsessed with anything Madeleine L'Engle wrote for many years. I'm pretty sure her books started my unconditional love for YA literature and fascination for science I don't quite understand. I still have most of them!

I ended up absolutely hating the book! SO many children's fantasy books are thinly veiled religious propaganda but this wasn't even that. It's God this and the Lard that. Somehow I was not prepared for that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:49 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

bookwormbethie wrote:
fruitbat wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
Going to start Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams today. I am pretty sure it's going to be awesome, but also make me sad. Awesome because Douglas Adams was the best but sad because the book is about endangered species.

Last Chance to See is indeed awesome.

oh yes, i read this book many years ago. it was excellent, and sad, but excellent.

Yes, yes! I finished it this past week, and it was so great! It left me feeling really sad, but...it was still great.

I have now started V. by Thomas Pynchon. So far, so good.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:51 pm 
Nailed to the V

missmuffcake wrote:
the Beth Ditto memoir...i got it as a gift...i was about to pick it up.

Dude, awesome. How did I not know about this. (I went to a SSION show when I was 19 and I saw a girl next to me wearing a white marshmellow outfit and was like whoaaa and then later realized it was Beth!)

I'm reading Lady Oracle by Margaret Atwood.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:11 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Just started Baker Towers this morning, so I'm not sure what to think about it, but I've heard good things. I read a wonderful review of Jennifer Haigh's newer book (News from Heaven: The Bakerton Stories, a collection of short stories with the same characters as Baker Towers), so it lead me to checking this one out.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:15 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I just read Prodigy by Marie Lu, which was a big improvement on Legend.

Now I'm listening to Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo and I am completely surprised by how much I'm enjoying it, even if it's filled with all the usual ingredients of paranormal YA.

Plus I'm reading The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead and loving it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:00 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

julialegume wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:

Dude, awesome. How did I not know about this.

I think it is really under the radar? Because I tried searching on Amazon when it came out and did not find it. Then my friend sent me a copy...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:09 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I just finished The Sexual Politics of Meat: A Feminist-vegetarian Critical Theory by Carol J. Adams. I know it sounds like terrible, but I loved it. Just started The Seventeen Solutions by Ralph Nader.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:13 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I started Black Sunlight by Dambudzo Marechera, and it's super fascinating and written in an intense stream-of-consciousness technique that never explains any contexts... but it's so violent that I can't continue right now. Shall probably have to put it aside and read some harmless love story or something instead until I think I can deal with it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:28 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I'm about to start East of Eden.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:44 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I've been rereading all the Laura Ingalls Wilder books. I'm on the fifth one and I don't know if I read this far as a child so it's all new now. I'm so glad for modern medicine.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:46 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Alaina wrote:
I just finished The Sexual Politics of Meat: A Feminist-vegetarian Critical Theory by Carol J. Adams. I know it sounds like terrible, but I loved it. Just started The Seventeen Solutions by Ralph Nader.

I really want to finish The Sexual Politics of Meat! I found it surprisingly good, I thought it was just going to be about advertising. However I had to put it down when she was talking about how abusers use pets against their victims, it triggered me and I'll probably have to skip the rest of that chapter if I pick it up again.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:37 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Shy Mox wrote:
Alaina wrote:

I really want to finish The Sexual Politics of Meat! I found it surprisingly good, I thought it was just going to be about advertising. However I had to put it down when she was talking about how abusers use pets against their victims, it triggered me and I'll probably have to skip the rest of that chapter if I pick it up again.

I thought it was just going to be some men treat women like meat rant, but it totally wasn't. It also totally clarified for me why I feel the same way when I get put down for being a woman as when I get put down for not eating meat. I feel like I can stand up for myself a little better now. Finish it! I didn't get upset about the pets thing, maybe cause all I ever had was a goldfish.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5424 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142 ... 217  Next