| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46594 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1284, 1285, 1286, 1287, 1288, 1289, 1290 ... 1864  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:44 pm 
Mediocre Tart

She is going to bring me with her, right? Right? Right...?

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:45 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

interrobang?! wrote:
She is going to bring me with her, right? Right? Right...?

COME WITH HER TO SEE ME.

please!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:33 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

AND THEN TO PORTLAND WITH HER TO SEE ME

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

interrobang?! wrote:
rachell37 wrote:
I can't believe you even have to ask. Wait, is it with the meet-up group?

Yarrrr... Well, it involves them, anyway, It's been a couple of years tho, so maybe they've evolved? I dunno... It's on a Sunday if you fancy it.

What Sunday? Mike and I were thinking of going to Glasgow next weekend, but we haven't firmed up plans yet.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:45 pm 
Mediocre Tart

ndpittman wrote:
A little late, but the expression "a poke of chips" makes me really happy. "Poke" is also a super Appalachian expression; I'm guessing because of a lot of Scotch Irish settlers. A poke of chips in WV would be a packet of crisps though.

I love that a poke made you happy!

And... here is something that both slightly, initially, rankled me a toaty wee bit and also educated me over this evening. And I've been rewriting and rewriting to try and express this in a way that doesn't have me coming across all critical or fannyish. And it's in no way directed at my wee love ndpittman, whom I adore (and would buy a poke of chips for any time)! Crazy happen ramblestance ahead:

"Scotch".

So, that word, as a descriptor of Scottish people is... somewhat pejorative. At least here, it is. Scots or Scottish is the correct usage.

BUT! Then I learned on the Internets that 'Scotch Irish' is used absolutely non-pejoratively in the US.

So that's confusing and all that.

This quote is funny: "a non-Scot who uses the word [Scotch] in conversation with Scots as a description of them may find this a good test of their courtesy."

Anyhoo. Rambling. Talk amongst yerselves, I've nae ken at this point... :)

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:55 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I am so glad to know that! I would never sling pejorative terms. It's funny, because I've heard it as both Scots Irish and Scotch Irish, and I didn't really know their was a difference other than maybe trying to sound smart, which I align with people who say Appalashian instead of AppaLACHian. Thanks for setting me straight Interrobang?!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:03 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

ndpittman wrote:
I am so glad to know that! I would never sling pejorative terms. It's funny, because I've heard it as both Scots Irish and Scotch Irish, and I didn't really know their was a difference other than maybe trying to sound smart, which I align with people who say Appalashian instead of AppaLACHian. Thanks for setting me straight Interrobang?!

Not to get into the scots thing (since I know nothing of it), but I'm always confused by the two options of Appalachian because the way it's set up it looks like the way I've always heard it said doesn't fit in? (AppaLAYchan) I think it's probably the latter? Appalashian's pretty cool though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:04 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yay ijdi! Keep us posted!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:06 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

ndpittman wrote:

That's interesting. I work in a folk music store and we, of course, sell mountain dulcimers, or Appalachian dulcimers. I hear people pronounce it both ways equally and never thought it was anything more than a difference in speaking (like I say bagel funny, but not in a discriminatory way). I always call it a mountain dulcimer.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:10 pm 

lillianp wrote:
ndpittman wrote:

Not to get into the scots thing (since I know nothing of it), but I'm always confused by the two options of Appalachian because the way it's set up it looks like the way I've always heard it said doesn't fit in? (AppaLAYchan) I think it's probably the latter? Appalashian's pretty cool though.

I mean, it's supposed to be said with the "ch" sound, but sometimes people say it the other way and it comes across as they are puttin'on airs.

I watched an interesting documentary segment comparing it to in Ireland, asking for help finding Londonderry or Derry. They said if you say Londonderry you are an outsider and not to be trusted. I don't know about the history of all that, but I know it's touchy, and I don't want to offend anyone or anything. I just like the way they said it, and if you say Appalachia with a "sh" I ain't trustin' ya fer nothin'.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:12 pm 

missdelaney wrote:
ndpittman wrote:

That's interesting. I work in a folk music store and we, of course, sell mountain dulcimers, or Appalachian dulcimers. I hear people pronounce it both ways equally and never thought it was anything more than a difference in speaking (like I say bagel funny, but not in a discriminatory way). I always call it a mountain dulcimer.

Man, I love me some dulcimer. I've just heard it called dulcimer though, is there a difference between a regular dulcimer and a mountain dulcimer?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:26 pm 
Mediocre Tart

ndpittman wrote:

Oh, I know you never would lovebug! It was just jabbing at my bonce a bit and if I didn't say it here it would've been on the facespace and you would have seen it and i wouldn't have wanted it to seen like some passive-aggressive thing because it of course is so not!

And I still can't help but think of Appalachian but for Amy Pond's "Apalapucia, what a beautiful word!"

In my head they are the same thing!
I am wrongly wired.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:29 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

ndpittman wrote:
I mean, it's supposed to be said with the "ch" sound, but sometimes people say it the other way and it comes across as they are puttin'on airs.

My dad's from Tennessee and his entire family says "Appa-lay-shin" mountains and they're pretty far from being fancy... so I'm all confused now! I always thought it was weird when people would say Appa-LACH-ian, even if that is the correct way.

This reminds me a lot of the disagreement on how Daiya should be pronounced. (No, I'm not trying to start that again! Haha)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:32 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Thanks everyone who has wished me luck! I'm trying to pick out an outfit! I have a suit, but I don't like how the jacket fits me. Also my friends have assured me that a suit is not necessary. So i'm debating between navy skirt, white shirt, purple cardigan or black pants, white shirt, black cardigan. it's cold out, so maybe pants, but I think the skirt looks more profesh.

ps sorry for taking over this thread with my job interview!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:42 pm 
Semen Strong

Good luck idji! I say go with something that fits you well and that you feel comfortable in. You've got this! After being the RD in Residence at the PPK, anyone would be lucky to have you on their staff!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:43 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Is Scotch ever used in Scotland for anything?

I also used to think that I knew how to pronounce Appalachia but apparently I have no idea. I was less confused before I read this thread.

interrobang?! wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
A little late, but the expression "a poke of chips" makes me really happy. "Poke" is also a super Appalachian expression; I'm guessing because of a lot of Scotch Irish settlers. A poke of chips in WV would be a packet of crisps though.

I love that a poke made you happy!

And... here is something that both slightly, initially, rankled me a toaty wee bit and also educated me over this evening. And I've been rewriting and rewriting to try and express this in a way that doesn't have me coming across all critical or fannyish. And it's in no way directed at my wee love ndpittman, whom I adore (and would buy a poke of chips for any time)! Crazy happen ramblestance ahead:

"Scotch".

So, that word, as a descriptor of Scottish people is... somewhat pejorative. At least here, it is. Scots or Scottish is the correct usage.

BUT! Then I learned on the Internets that 'Scotch Irish' is used absolutely non-pejoratively in the US.

So that's confusing and all that.

This quote is funny: "a non-Scot who uses the word [Scotch] in conversation with Scots as a description of them may find this a good test of their courtesy."

Anyhoo. Rambling. Talk amongst yerselves, I've nae ken at this point... :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:43 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Good luck, IJDI! I think that either outfit will look great. You should wear what you would feel best in.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:46 pm 
Mediocre Tart

ndpittman wrote:
I watched an interesting documentary segment comparing it to in Ireland, asking for help finding Londonderry or Derry. They said if you say Londonderry you are an outsider and not to be trusted.

I would question the background of the makers of that doc, tbh.

To my knowledge, it's more of a case of differentiation between unionists and nationalists in Northern Ireland/the Republic.

I'm sure our Irish and Norn Irish ppkers can speak better to it than me. I am reticent to get into it myself, but it's not about being an 'outsider' in the sense that I think you mean it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:51 pm 

Freetahtah wrote:
ndpittman wrote:

My dad's from Tennessee and his entire family says "Appa-lay-shin" mountains and they're pretty far from being fancy... so I'm all confused now! I always thought it was weird when people would say Appa-LACH-ian, even if that is the correct way.

This reminds me a lot of the disagreement on how Daiya should be pronounced. (No, I'm not trying to start that again! Haha)

Ha! Well I guess I'm no expert, but it's the pronunciation and connotations I was taught. I can remember it being pronounced with a sh sound in elementary school for some reason.

Either way, Bang?! I am appreciative! And I hope you don't think I'm trying to... I don't know, make claims about being Scottish (or Irish as it were). I just really like to have something to identify with, and I think you can heavily see both Scots Irish and German influences from where I grew up, and there's something about that that makes me feel proud.

Also, Vantine, my limited reading says Scotch is used to describe whiskey only.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:55 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

But I though that was just whiskey? You are conspiring to make my head spin.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:06 pm 
Mediocre Tart

ndpittman wrote:

Uh-OH!
Don't put yer E in Scottish whisky!

It's the Irish wan that is spelled whiskey.

The Scots' dram is spelled whisky!

This thread is just getting so pure racist, byraway.

(kidding!)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:15 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

E and whiskey go together like peanut butter and jelly.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:15 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

interrobang?! wrote:
ndpittman wrote:

Uh-OH!
Don't put yer E in Scottish whisky!

It's the Irish wan that is spelled whiskey.

The Scots' dram is spelled whisky!

This thread is just getting so pure racist, byraway.

(kidding!)

I spelled it that way! But my spellcheck said NO! It's racist!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:25 pm 

Ha! The Wikipedia article spelled it whisky, but I've always spelled it with an 'e' so I did. With or without the 'e' I can't drink the stuff, s I don't pay much attention.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:28 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

App-uh-lah-chins. Twang on the app.

Panda With Cookie

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46594 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1284, 1285, 1286, 1287, 1288, 1289, 1290 ... 1864  Next