| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46421 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1285, 1286, 1287, 1288, 1289, 1290, 1291 ... 1857  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:30 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

interrobang?! wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
I watched an interesting documentary segment comparing it to in Ireland, asking for help finding Londonderry or Derry. They said if you say Londonderry you are an outsider and not to be trusted.

I would question the background of the makers of that doc, tbh.

To my knowledge, it's more of a case of differentiation between unionists and nationalists in Northern Ireland/the Republic.

I'm sure our Irish and Norn Irish ppkers can speak better to it than me. I am reticent to get into it myself, but it's not about being an 'outsider' in the sense that I think you mean it.

Yeah, probably best not to go there. I was just using it as an illustrative example as they did in the doc (which I watched on YouTube, so it is well taken with a grain of salt). And now I can't find it anyway, but I did find the bit where they talk about a poke!

http://youtu.be/eXghKHHzlXQ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:31 pm 
Mediocre Tart

True fact: I have never, in my life, had even a wee sup of whisky. OR whiskey.

Did have a cat called Whisky though.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:49 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Thanks for the fashion advice. I did the sit down and see which sweater has fewer buttons that pop open. Black cardigan and black pants flicks the weasel. And ill be more comfortable in that! Ill report back tomorrow!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:03 pm 

pandacookie wrote:
App-uh-lah-chins. Twang on the app.

I knew you was good people.

Also the video link I posted is almost worth the watch to hear Gary Carden saying peckerwood.

ETA: you'll do great ijdi!! Best of luck!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:08 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

ndpittman wrote:
lillianp wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
I am so glad to know that! I would never sling pejorative terms. It's funny, because I've heard it as both Scots Irish and Scotch Irish, and I didn't really know their was a difference other than maybe trying to sound smart, which I align with people who say Appalashian instead of AppaLACHian. Thanks for setting me straight Interrobang?!

Not to get into the scots thing (since I know nothing of it), but I'm always confused by the two options of Appalachian because the way it's set up it looks like the way I've always heard it said doesn't fit in? (AppaLAYchan) I think it's probably the latter? Appalashian's pretty cool though.

I mean, it's supposed to be said with the "ch" sound, but sometimes people say it the other way and it comes across as they are puttin'on airs.

I watched an interesting documentary segment comparing it to in Ireland, asking for help finding Londonderry or Derry. They said if you say Londonderry you are an outsider and not to be trusted. I don't know about the history of all that, but I know it's touchy, and I don't want to offend anyone or anything. I just like the way they said it, and if you say Appalachia with a "sh" I ain't trustin' ya fer nothin'.

That's justcalled being an easterner! I didn't know it was with the ch until I moved to sw Virginia.

The other one is Nevada. I found it so amusing that the Nevada Tourism Commission actually ran an add with pronunciation phonetics. People here are always correcting me when I don't say Nev-ah-da.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:09 pm 

Wait, how do you say Nevada?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:11 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Panda With Cookie

Discovered unobtainium

We need hover dogs diacritical marks for this. It's Nev-soft a-da

Not nev-ah-da. In other words, butcher the spanish pronunciation and you've got it right.

Dr Bronners, MD

Freetahtah wrote:
Appa-LACH-ian

This is how I, and everyone I know who lives here, says it.

I currently have dip made and pita chips in the oven and even though it is too late to be eating really, I am excited about it all.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:12 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I got my wee felt Molly today! Will post photos tomorrow. I woke up from afterwork nap crash just as Molly went to bed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:19 pm 

allularpunk wrote:
Freetahtah wrote:
Appa-LACH-ian

I currently have dip made and pita chips in the oven and even though it is too late to be eating really, I am excited about it all.

I randomly made sweet potato biscuits from AFR like an hour ago. I'm pretty excited about having some for lunch tomorrow. I hope your pita and dip is delish!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:35 pm 
Mediocre Tart

allularpunk wrote:

It's never too late to eat if I'm still awake.

Hello!

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:39 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

allularpunk wrote:
Freetahtah wrote:
Appa-LACH-ian

I'm (originally) from Nashville (so, not really near the mountains, but still the South) and used to say Ap-uh-LAY-shin. I felt really embarrassed when I took a course at uni (in Edinburgh) and was told by a Canadian that it's Ap-uh-LATCH-in (that's the best way I can write it). She said that's the way people from the area pronounce it, and who am I to argue with the people from there. That's also why I say GAL-ic for Gaelic (rather than GAY-lic), because native speakers say it that way. Though I did have a lecturer (American, fluent Gaelic speaker) who still says GAY-lic because, as he put it, it's like saying francais instead of French.

I'm reading Bad Science right now, and I have a total cloner for Ben Goldacre. And one of my colleagues gets to see him on Friday! I'm so jealous.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:18 am 
WRETCHED

lavawitch wrote:
We need hover dogs diacritical marks for this. It's Nev-soft a-da

Not nev-ah-da. In other words, butcher the spanish pronunciation and you've got it right.

Funny, I think I use both or basically Ne-va-duh.

You hear both in California.

And from a western US point of view, I thought it was App-uh-lay-cha or App-uh-lay-chins.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:45 am 
Seagull of the PPK

lavawitch wrote:
I got my wee felt Molly today! Will post photos tomorrow. I woke up from afterwork nap crash just as Molly went to bed.

Waiting for the pic!

Tiki the cockatiel's weight loss has been blamed on coccidiosis (sp?). He's now taking meds (in his water, which i think is the worst possible vehicle, as the bird drinks about .0001ml per day) and I am super-hopeful about his recovery. He is super-energetic right now and made a total pest of himself during my online seminar this morning (thank goodness the presenters can't see/hear the participants). I'm giving him peanut butter crackers to make him thirstier.
I switched computer mice and he is now completely obsessed with my new mouse. I wish he'd be as obsessed with his peanut butter crackers instead!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:31 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Thanks for the fashion advice. I did the sit down and see which sweater has fewer buttons that pop open. Black cardigan and black pants flicks the weasel. And ill be more comfortable in that! Ill report back tomorrow!

Report back ASAP! I'm rooting for you!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:21 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

rachell37 wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
Freetahtah wrote:
Appa-LACH-ian

I'm (originally) from Nashville (so, not really near the mountains, but still the South) and used to say Ap-uh-LAY-shin. I felt really embarrassed when I took a course at uni (in Edinburgh) and was told by a Canadian that it's Ap-uh-LATCH-in (that's the best way I can write it). She said that's the way people from the area pronounce it, and who am I to argue with the people from there. That's also why I say GAL-ic for Gaelic (rather than GAY-lic), because native speakers say it that way. Though I did have a lecturer (American, fluent Gaelic speaker) who still says GAY-lic because, as he put it, it's like saying francais instead of French.

I'm reading Bad Science right now, and I have a total cloner for Ben Goldacre. And one of my colleagues gets to see him on Friday! I'm so jealous.

I am completely jealous! Have you picked up Bad Pharma yet?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:36 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

This thing about saying it how the people from the area pronounce it is confusing though. We don't generally call Paris 'Paree' when speaking English, and we certainly don't call Moscow 'Maskva'.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:42 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

My dip was really good, everyone. White beans, garlic, chipotle in adobo, tahini, nooch, cumin, salt, and a little water to thin it out. Not bad for scrounging the cabinets and hoping for the best. Also, stale pitas in my fridge that I never bothered to toss came in handy after all. Hoarding justified!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:00 am 
WELFARIST!

It sounds really good and now I kind of want to try it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:15 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I'm going to the doctor and I have having an internal struggle about whether to shave my legs. I'm going for a foot injury that just won't quit, so what if I end up having to get x-rays? Rolling up my pant leg to expose a hairy leg to one doctor doesn't scare me much. But stripping down and to wear a knee-length gown in front of multiple people? Maybe too much.

The problem with shaving is that I get the WORST ingrown hairs, and then I get scars, and it's horrible. But I don't think I have enough self-confidence to publicly display my leg hair. I don't know what to do!! What should I do?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:30 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Vantine wrote:
I am completely jealous! Have you picked up Bad Pharma yet?

It's next on my list!

Efcliz wrote:
This thing about saying it how the people from the area pronounce it is confusing though. We don't generally call Paris 'Paree' when speaking English, and we certainly don't call Moscow 'Maskva'.

That's kinda why my lecturer's excuse for not saying GAL-ic makes sense. But in the case of Appalachia, for example, it's like being told how to correctly pronounce an English word. At least, that's how I see it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:30 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

ashley wrote:
I'm going to the doctor and I have having an internal struggle about whether to shave my legs. I'm going for a foot injury that just won't quit, so what if I end up having to get x-rays? Rolling up my pant leg to expose a hairy leg to one doctor doesn't scare me much. But stripping down and to wear a knee-length gown in front of multiple people? Maybe too much.

The problem with shaving is that I get the WORST ingrown hairs, and then I get scars, and it's horrible. But I don't think I have enough self-confidence to publicly display my leg hair. I don't know what to do!! What should I do?

Don't shave! Just remind yourself that there are reasons you don't shave and that there is no shame in not shaving your legs.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:36 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

lillianp wrote:
ashley wrote:

Don't shave! Just remind yourself that there are reasons you don't shave and that there is no shame in not shaving your legs.

Also, medical professionals have seen everything. So long as you're clean, you're fine.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:38 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

lillianp wrote:
ashley wrote:

Another vote for not shaving. There is nothing wrong with having hair on our bodies, fork societal norm's.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46421 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1285, 1286, 1287, 1288, 1289, 1290, 1291 ... 1857  Next