| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256 ... 304  Next
 Post subject: Re: What nail polish are you wearing?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:26 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

baps wrote:
Stargazer don't test but I don't know if they're vegan. I like NYX's black polish (their Salon Formula polishes are vegan according to the list on here!)

I e-mailed Stargazer years ago & they never got back to me! I tried again a few days ago so hopefully they'll respond this time.

zelavie & Kitteh I'm gonna take your two votes for Orly Liquid Vinyl & get that if Stargazer don't respond soon.

Bastah unfortunately neither of those brands are available here but I'll definitely keep an eye out for the W&W if I haven't found a great black by the time I visit the US in May.

Kitteh I think I'll try the Barry M topcoat first because it's cheap & if that sucks I'll get the Zoya. Does the Zoya one work well with all of your polishes?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:57 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I must have the Deborah Lippman Rockin' Robin. MUST HAVE.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:19 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

jojo wrote:
Kitteh I think I'll try the Barry M topcoat first because it's cheap & if that sucks I'll get the Zoya. Does the Zoya one work well with all of your polishes?

Hmm! It's difficult for me to answer that because I find that most polish chips on me within a day, but I am really clumsy and use my hands a lot, and polish doesn't stand a chance at work.

I use the Zoya Color Lock system with all my manis, and I find Butter London chips the quickest, and anything involving a glittery polish lasts the longest. I get tip wear but I could probably try wrapping my tips more often to see if it makes a difference. But I would say yes, it does work well with all the different polish I use, I don't have issues with shrinkage or anything like that.

I know Bluedawg uses the ZCL system and her manis last longer than mine!

Urban Decay Smog - 2 coats

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:19 pm 

Kitteh wrote:
jojo wrote:

Hmm! It's difficult for me to answer that because I find that most polish chips on me within a day, but I am really clumsy and use my hands a lot, and polish doesn't stand a chance at work.

I use the Zoya Color Lock system with all my manis, and I find Butter London chips the quickest, and anything involving a glittery polish lasts the longest. I get tip wear but I could probably try wrapping my tips more often to see if it makes a difference. But I would say yes, it does work well with all the different polish I use, I don't have issues with shrinkage or anything like that.

This is an awesome answer, shrinkage was the main thing I was worrying about! My manis pretty much ALWAYS chip within a day too! I've been hoping/assuming it's just because of the shitty topcoat I've been using but realistically it's probably for the same reasons as you, I'd never think not to scrape dirt of off something with my nail or to be careful when I'm opening a can or something.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:21 am 
Ninja Master

A couple of things that might help the polish stay on longer…. Make sure the nail plate is totally free of any oils and dirt before you apply your basecoat. If you are using regular polish remover, check the ingredients for oil and if it’s there, use pure acetone (not the greatest thing for your nails but it does work) or alcohol (IPA) to cleanse the nail; you want to ‘squeak it’, ie rub it well, like you’re taking off red polish!

Base coat, 2 layers of colour and then top coat, making sure that you keep the layers thin and that you cap the free edge of each nail / wrap the tips on all 4 layers. Add some cuticle oil to help it dry quicker and then do nothing for an hour to let it properly dry.

Wear gloves when you’re washing up or cleaning. Chemicals in cleaning products can dissolve the polish.

Don’t use your nails to pick things or scrape – nails are jewels not tools. (Do you like that? That is stolen straight from my Gelicure aftercare leaflets!! Hahaha)

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:29 am 

Nice advice baps, thanks! I think I can manage most of those things but gloves for all cleaning seems like a pain! I clean stuff alla the time! I love to clean! I will try to stop scraping stuff off of the cooker with my nails though!

Which remover do you use? It's only the peach coloured non-acetone one in Superdrug that's vegan so I use that.

Also, this is one of the most ridic thing's you've ever said! I <3 you!

baps wrote:
..... nails are jewels not tools. (Do you like that? That is stolen straight from my Gelicure aftercare leaflets!! Hahaha)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:35 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Baps, my problem I think is typing. Wears my tips really fast and my nails start to flake like onions peel apart. Someone needs to invent typing tip protectors ;-P

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:59 am 
Ninja Master

jojo wrote:
Nice advice baps, thanks! I think I can manage most of those things but gloves for all cleaning seems like a pain! I clean stuff alla the time! I love to clean! I will try to stop scraping stuff off of the cooker with my nails though!

Which remover do you use? It's only the peach coloured non-acetone one in Superdrug that's vegan so I use that.

I do use that remover yeah, but also, I have a product from Nubar called cleanse (it's basically isopropyl alcohol) and I use that to clean any oils off before putting on the base coat.

Quote:
Also, this is one of the most ridic thing's you've ever said! I <3 you!

baps wrote:
..... nails are jewels not tools. (Do you like that? That is stolen straight from my Gelicure aftercare leaflets!! Hahaha)

I can't lie, I stole it off a nail pro forum! hahaha.

snarkyvegan wrote:
Baps, my problem I think is typing. Wears my tips really fast and my nails start to flake like onions peel apart. Someone needs to invent typing tip protectors ;-P

Yeah me too, as soon as they get long they really start to bug me. The only thing that helps there is to keep them short, but I know that is not a helpful suggestion.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:45 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

jojo wrote:

Defo try wearing gloves for cleaning (I use the non-latex ones with a pair of cotton gloves underneath). I spent years at a vet clinic cleaning with no gloves and all the water and chemicals were so harsh on my skin and nails.

And at night I put moisturiser on my hands and sleep with a pair of cotton gloves on.

Also, if you don't buy Zoya base/top coat before May, I will have mine with me and you can try them while we're in Portland!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:04 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I decided I wanted to do something fun and kinda fancy on my nails today. I recently got a stamping kit, so I decided to try it out, but after 3 different polishes (which are all opaque in one coat), I couldn't get the image to transfer onto the stamp and I gave up. Then I thought I'd do a water marble, because it's been over a year since I've done that. Ruined two nails, decided that wasn't going to happen. Now I'm back to naked nails, and I'm afraid to do even a basic mani because I feel like I'll surely destroy it somehow. The universe doesn't want me to have fun nails today.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:46 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

like Kitteh said, i use the zoya color lock system (no matter what brand i'm wearing, i use zoya base/top coats) and i've had REALLY good luck. i agree with lots of what everyone is saying, though, like:

1. clean your nails really well beforehand (i always do a swipe of remover immediately before i start polishing--i use zoya remover as well)
2. keep your nails really short if you like them that way (i do); i feel like it keeps me from smacking them against things so much
3. reapply top coat & hurry drops every other day

i type all day and all night and i don't really have problems with that, but i think it's at least partially because i prefer my nails really short. usually if i chip a nail it's because i did something dumb like smack my finger on something or get my nail caught in something. i do have random chipping sometimes, but if i'm being careful and i keep up the top coat regimen, i can usually make a manicure last 5-7 days with no problem.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:32 pm 

I'm loving all of the tips! I'll endeavour to wear gloves at least when I do serious cleaning even if I don't manage to every time I rinse a few dishes or give the bathroom sink a quick clean!

I have the Barry M topcoat now so hopefully it'll help. Kitteh I'll definitely take you up on the offer of using your Zoya stuff in Portland if I don't have it by then. We can paint our nails together!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:36 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

baps wrote:
Don’t use your nails to pick things or scrape – nails are jewels not tools. (Do you like that? That is stolen straight from my Gelicure aftercare leaflets!! Hahaha)

Hahaha, amazing. I usually blunder through the kitchen in the morning still half asleep, pull open a can of catfood and then go 'fork!!!!' ruined another manicure. ;) So yeah, damn cats! They are why I can't have nice things!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:18 am 
Ninja Master

zelavie wrote:
I decided I wanted to do something fun and kinda fancy on my nails today. I recently got a stamping kit, so I decided to try it out, but after 3 different polishes (which are all opaque in one coat), I couldn't get the image to transfer onto the stamp and I gave up. Then I thought I'd do a water marble, because it's been over a year since I've done that. Ruined two nails, decided that wasn't going to happen. Now I'm back to naked nails, and I'm afraid to do even a basic mani because I feel like I'll surely destroy it somehow. The universe doesn't want me to have fun nails today.

Try buffing over your stamper with a 240 grit nail file or a white block, just lightly, then cleaning it off. Also when you clean the stamper, the scraper and the plates, use pure acetone or a remover without any oils in. As the oils can affect how it picks up the polish.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:32 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I wear gloves to do the dishes, but I find the warm water, lotion (it's like a quick hand treatment!), and rubber is similar to taking a shower - my nails will peel off when i'm done. That's why dish day is always nail painting day!

I think tip wear from typing is inevitable, unless you keep your nails really short. I can handle tip wear though, it's huge chips a day after painting my nails that make me nuts. I have a mini colorlock system, I should put it to the ultimate test and try it with Butter London.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:35 am 

My A England polishes finally arrived today. I can't wait to use them but they're gonna have to wait until Sunday. I painted my nails black yesterday because I want them to be chipped by Saturday. I'm giving the Barry M black one last chance. I hated putting it on less than I usually do, it probably helps that I remembered that it's really thick & gloopy so putting it on was less annoying than usual!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:12 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Zelavie - that sucks :( I have trouble with my stamper sometimes. I have days where it just won't pick up the image, even though I have used that exact polish and plate before. Try Baps' tips - I'm going to read the ingredients of my remover, I bet it has oil in it.

jojo wrote:
Kitteh I'll definitely take you up on the offer of using your Zoya stuff in Portland if I don't have it by then. We can paint our nails together!!

I can't wait! :D

fisticuffs wrote:
So yeah, damn cats! They are why I can't have nice things!

Story of my life!! But they're so loveable ;)

Urban Decay Hustle - 2 coats

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:20 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

baps wrote:
Try buffing over your stamper with a 240 grit nail file or a white block, just lightly, then cleaning it off. Also when you clean the stamper, the scraper and the plates, use pure acetone or a remover without any oils in. As the oils can affect how it picks up the polish.

Thanks! I'll definitely try both of those things. I'm using that homemade Zoya Remove+ recipe, so there's glycerine in my remover right now. I'll pick up some acetone tomorrow and see if that helps.

Oh, and for anyone who's interested, Sally's has all Orly 2/$11 right now! They redesigned the bottle logo, and I guess the promo is because of that. I'm curious what they did with all of the old bottles - they definitely didn't clearance out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:56 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i'm definitely starting to worry that my a england never made it out of the UK. i got a shipping notice on the 22nd, and the "oh crepe" notification didn't happen until the 25th, so i thought i was safe, but... still nothing, and it's been over 2 weeks. that seems really long, right?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:58 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Ugh, I managed to cut my right index finger underneath of the nail a bit, on the left edge. I'm going to leave my nails alone for a bit while that heals up!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:04 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Did you see the update they made?

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:30 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

oh, no, i hadn't seen that! thanks mbm! my order number was 12001 so i guess that means i'm in the clear, and just have to wait a little longer. whew!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:07 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I got that as an email, my order number 131-something so I figure it'll be awhile until I get mine

ndpittman wrote:
Ugh, I managed to cut my right index finger underneath of the nail a bit, on the left edge. I'm going to leave my nails alone for a bit while that heals up!

Ouch! Good idea, getting remover in cuts on your fingers stings like a bisque!

This is Orly Liquid Vinyl with Zoya Tart on the tips and I had mega issues with stamping last night, I feel like it took me about 50 goes just to get the feathers and even then they weren't coming out clear, some of the image was being left on the plate. I tried filing my stamper, and I checked that my remover has no oil in it, and I tried 3 different white polishes (Zoya Snow White, Barry M Matt White and a Couleur Caramel one) using KIP M77.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:10 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Oh my goodness! That's your best one yet though! So gorgeous!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:38 pm 

bluedawg wrote:
oh, no, i hadn't seen that! thanks mbm! my order number was 12001 so i guess that means i'm in the clear, and just have to wait a little longer. whew!!

I defintely wouldn't worry, I placed my order Jan 12th & it only arrived yesterday or the day before!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256 ... 304  Next