| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: some people should not get dogs
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:36 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Some people should not get dogs. I have an old classmate who is a "friend" on facebook. He posted about whether or not he should get a dog. He posted pictures of a couple different dogs he was thinking about adopting. He wasn't someone I would recommend to get a dog and I was even surprised he was considering adopting. He ended up getting two small sibling dogs. Then he complained about them a bunch on facebook and eventually gave them away. I am actually glad he gave them away. One of his complaints was about not getting the dog to "obey his master."

Anyway, just wanted to mini-rant about it. I have no contact with this person other than facebook and I will probably unfriend him eventually anyway. It's sometimes hard knowing there are things that you have no control over and seeing things go poorly. I'm just glad to have a resolution and know the dogs are somewhere else.

Post subject: Re: some people should not get dogs
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:13 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I work in an animal supply store and feel the same way about some of my customers. Some people should not have animals.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:39 pm 
Semen Strong

I feel really bad for my friends who work with vet offices. They see the most cavalier disregard for animals.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:37 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Between running a dog daycare, working in a vet clinic, and being involved in rescue, I hate people by and large. "I want a husky so bad, they're so beautiful and intelligent".... Yes, but you work 10 hours a day and go out drinking 5 nights a week. Plus your parents aren't willing to take are of a dog. And your husky would be smarter and more stubborn than you are. No dogs for you.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:56 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oh, so apparently he got 3 dogs, not two, he ended up keeping one. He installed video cameras in his house to watch the dog during the day and was posting about how good his dog was and how loving. And yesterday he posts that he gave this dog away too because sometimes too much love is just as bad as none. Or something weird like that. Agh!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:07 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Moon wrote:
No dogs for you.

(soup nazi voice)

NO DOGS FOR YOU!

do people understand what they do to the dog when they adopt them then just decide oh they dont want them anymore?
that is like insanely traumatic for a dog.
i hate hate hate hate hate the whole thing that people want a dog and oh this dog is so cute i would just love a puppy blah blah blah and then they find out animals are WORK and you need to TRAIN them and they dont come perfectly well behaved.
then there are people who think buying dogs from a breeder will somehow make them magically well behaved cause it's only those rescue dogs that are so poorly behaved when they are the reasons so many dogs end up in rescues.

people are dumb!!! i had to stop watching "It's Me or the Dog" with Victoria Stillwell because 97% of the people they feature on that show are raging morons and i end up screaming at my tv through the whole thing.

semi-related. i have a vegan "friend" on facebook (not a ppk member........that i am aware of....yikes!) who is one of those people who constantly yammers on and on about animal rights and everyone should be a vegan and posts gross peta videos on faceboook.
he is on giving up his 2nd to 3rd animal.
he had adopted a 2nd dog that realy needed a home but then the dog was too much for them so they got rid of her. now i keep hearing how he wants to give up his cats because they do annoying things (not sure specifically i dont know alot about cats)

so ummm yeah......how bout that......

grrrr......

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:14 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

So true :-( I would LOVE a doggie or two ;-) even saw two little yorkies that needed rehoming the other day.... BUT I just don't have time! Between three kids and uni I barely have a spare minute as it is...

Will get a little doggie (and lots of other rescue animals!) in the future :-D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:38 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

It breaks my heart when I hear about people who get a dog and then give it up a few months later. Like it's a pair of shoes that didn't work out, or like 2 or three months is enough time to work out any problems that might be going on. When ever some one is talking about getting a dog, I tell them it's like having a toddler, you can't lock a dog in the house alone for 8 or 10 hours a day, never walk it, and expect that everything is going to turn out okay. Your're going to have to expect the same challenges and growing pains as a toddler- poop, vomit, destruction of objects if you leave them where the dog can get them, behavior issues, getting up in the middle of the night, etc. I honestly do not know what some people are thinking or what they expect when they get a dog- like they see one well- behaved dog and they think they all magically come like that. What they don't see is the years of work and patience and relationship/expectation building that went into that well-behaved dog. Plus, it's my belief that most dogs with behavior issues have owners with bad energies that the dog picks up on.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:02 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oh God, someone returned one of the dogs to him. He is going to enroll him in dog training. I hope he gets some human training too!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:20 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

This is so true for birds too. People think birds are a cute, no work pet. They have no understanding or caring for how complex and demanding parrot psychology is. I feel especially bad for cockatoos. Cockatoos are just about the worst, most inappropriate pet imaginable.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:58 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

^ This so much. I used to visit a bird rescue in San Diego and there were so many abandoned cockatoos. They need constant attention.

My parents are the perfect examples of people who shouldn't have birds. My parents had a cockatiel for over 10 years that they neglected so much that he became quite mean and scary so they just gave him away. After my dad's horrible ordeal with his blue & gold macaw, be damned if he wasn't on petfinder looking up another macaw to bring home and ignore. Fortunately, I was able to convince him it was a rotten idea.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:04 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

It's not even that they need constant attention, because they really don't. Its much healthier to help the bird be less needy, but most people cultivate those clingy traits in toss. But, they need pathologically consistent attention, which is the problem. People want cuddle birds when it's convenient for them, so the bird craves and expects it all the time. A too can do well with more limited time if it's really structured and organized and they have a lot of good toys and resources, but this is more work than most people can or will do. Myself included!

I do know people with toos who work and are busy, but they schedule consistent time with the birds, so the birds stay safe, happy, and have their needs met. It isn't easy.

Hell, even Molly, an easy going green cheek, will get depressed and angry if she doesn't get her morning time. She doesn't care if I spend all damn day with her if she doesn't get her 5 minute Pre-work snuggle and play time. She will nip and act out all day over that. This also means she has me well trained not to hit the snooze alarm.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:46 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

lavawitch wrote:
This is so true for birds too. People think birds are a cute, no work pet. They have no understanding or caring for how complex and demanding parrot psychology is. I feel especially bad for cockatoos. Cockatoos are just about the worst, most inappropriate pet imaginable.

do a lot of people consider birds "throwaway pets?" or are they exempt from that?
all small rodents (hamsters, guinea pigs, etc) are typically considered "throwaway pets," ie "why would we take good care of them or take them to the vet because it's just a little rodent?"
and it makes me want to stab people.
the exotics vet we take our animals too also does birds and one of the doctor's is some fancy pants bird expert so a lot of times I get to see some cool looking birds in the waiting room.

last time we took one of our dog's in for bloodwork apparently they had 2 cockatiels they were boarding in the back and our dog went bonkers when he saw them. apparently he doesn't appreciate cockatiels!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:57 am 
Seagull of the PPK

LisaPunk wrote:
last time we took one of our dog's in for bloodwork apparently they had 2 cockatiels they were boarding in the back and our dog went bonkers when he saw them. apparently he doesn't appreciate cockatiels!

my dog could tell yours that a claw across the snoot does wonders for cockatiel appreciation.....

i think birds are definitely considered to be a throw-in-cage-and-forget-about kind of pet. so very sad. people are always so surprised that my tiel has the run of the house [when we're home, which is most of the time]. i mean, really, full time caging is not cool- why not just watch bird videos on youtube?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:00 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

hahah! thankfully he didn't get the opportunity!
that's how I feel about dog/cat relations. im always like "yeah im not worried about the cat, it's got claws"
;-)