| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Motorcyclists
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:14 am 
Saggy Butt

I recently got my first motorcycle last month, found this article pretty dead-on....

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-insane-things-nobody-tells-you-about-riding-motorcycle/

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:36 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

The PPK has taught me that #3 is incredibly true. Also this scares the shiitake out of me:

Quote:
The survey was conducted to find out whether Californians knew that lane-sharing was legal for motorcycles (that's when you drive in the space between lanes to cut through traffic). Most did not, but that's not the interesting part: The interesting part was exactly how many of them -- 7 percent -- freely admitted to the survey conductor that they "tried to prevent lane sharing." That dry, objective phrasing makes it sound like no big deal, but the only way you can "try to prevent lane sharing" is to abruptly block a lane with your car when you see a bike coming (i.e., ramming a motorcycle off the road).

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:48 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Gunnar Handsome wrote:
I recently got my first motorcycle last month,

What did you get? (pictures?)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:08 pm 

I got myself an extra or summer jacket from "craigslist" today.

I have this one, which is a two layer system (waterproof coat with removable padded liner), but after two years I can't get the yellow clean anymore and probably cause it's size M, the back part crawls up a little bit. When I ride with my real back protector instead of the standard back foam, the jacket feels a little bit too tight. The jacket has a zipper to attach it to the pants.
(photo from catalog, not me)

Now I bought the next model up the range from some one who wore it twice and then figured it didn't match his blue kawasaki motorcycle....online price is 200-230 euro's and I bought it for 120 e.

This jacket is a three-layer system and I wonder how that will work in reality.
- coat, removable water resistant layer and removable padded liner.
This is a size L and feels better around my belly but could be slightly too big for me, except for the sleeves. I think I might have a big M torso with XL arms

What I didn't know was that this coat does not connect to the pants I have.
This one uses a "g-string" system to keep the back of the jacket down.
It might take me a few times to get used to pulling a band from the back, between my legs and to connect it to a ring on the front. On the other hand it seems a good, logical system.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:32 pm 
Saggy Butt

Veg_Eric wrote:
Gunnar Handsome wrote:
I recently got my first motorcycle last month,

What did you get? (pictures?)

Unfortunately I injured my hand playing sports less than a week after I got it and can't currently ride it -- parked in a friends garage for the time being and I don't have many pictures. I've got this one I took of it so I'd remember the street sweeping on the block I parked on....It's a 2009 Kawasaki KLR650.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:29 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I got a new front tire last week. My bike had 2 rear tires (the previous owner put them on). It handles much better with a proper front tire. Of course, it's been raining a ton lately so I haven't been out on it much to break in the new tire.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:49 am 
A Bad Person

It's starting to get cold here in central IL, but I still need to get to work, and MBM still needs to get to work. So if it's not wet, I'm still riding. This morning, the temperature was around 35 F (2 C), and it was forking frigid. I dug out some old Army winter gloves (which weren't much better than my summer riding gloves), and I wore a nylon thermal suit underneath, which also did nothing. I am in desperate need of some lined riding pants, and much better gloves. On the plus side, with the liner in, my riding jacket is working out nicely!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:19 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm still riding, but it isn't that cold here yet. I wore my long underwear under my jeans under my riding pants the other day and was toasty. My jacket liner is awesome, I froze during a few rides until I found it!

I'm trying to sell my bike (I'm moving) and it's not a good time for that. I'll probably end up shipping it to my parents house in the middle of the USA and then dealing with it in the spring. Luckily, they both ride so they can keep it in good shape and sell it for me if needed. I might pick it up and do a mid-USA to Vancouver ride next year though!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:21 pm 

Pi. wrote:
I'm still riding, but it isn't that cold here yet. I wore my long underwear under my jeans under my riding pants the other day and was toasty.

When it's really cold I'll also use a cotton long john, and I'll wear something over that too.
So that's either jeans, or the kind of thermo underwear that's meant to keep one warm like something made from micro fleece.

I have a (two layer) jacket with a liner in it, that seems to be a bit warmer than the three layer jacket (coat, rain liner and thermo) liner. I have a pair of gloves (2nd hand leather) that are quite big so I can wear cotton work gloves in them for extra warmth.

I have plans to ride as often as I can this winter, and bought a "winter bike" so I won't wear out or damage my normal bike.

It was relatively cheap but needs maintenance; carbs need cleaning cause it runs on only 3 of 4 cylinders and new tyres.
(1991 Yamaha XJ600, 31,250 miles on it, I'm probably the 4th owner)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:22 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Nice winter bike! Mine is in storage now as I'm travelling for 3 weeks, then it will be cold, then I'll be gone for at least another month. I don't have anywhere secure to keep it when I'm away so it is easier to just store it during the winter. I prefer riding when it is cooler out... I'm good down to freezing temps as long as it isn't wet out! I do need warmer gloves, I only have a summer pair which isn't enough when it gets near freezing.

Plus, I don't have health insurance right now (I'm sorting out which I'll have, but since I quit my job 2 weeks ago I'm technically uninsured) and I'm hesitant to ride without health insurance. So winter storage timing works great as I'll be all set with everything by the time I pull it out in the spring!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:12 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Still riding, I ride all year depending on ground conditions. I do not mind the cold and have ridden down to 2 degrees F. Though only for a short distance.
My winter setup:
Double layer of sucks and Sidi boots (only part that gets cold)
Base layer, jeans, First Gear over pants with winter liner in it.
Electric heated liner and Olympia AST Jacket.
Heated grips with hippo hands over them and medium weight gloves.
Also a neck warmer and I am good to go.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:27 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

mrsbadmouth wrote:

Quote:
The survey was conducted to find out whether Californians knew that lane-sharing was legal for motorcycles (that's when you drive in the space between lanes to cut through traffic). Most did not

Wait wait wait...that's legal? I need a new mode of transportation!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:05 pm 
A Bad Person

Lane splitting is only legal in a few states. California is a big one. It's not legal in Illinois, and I've read enough horror stories about it that I'd be extremely cautious if iI were to try it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:34 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Idiots try it in DC sometimes. Scares the fork out of me. Drivers here have never heard of such a thing. I've actually called the traffic violation line to report it.

All it takes is a careless swerve because some jackass checked a text message, or someone stopped in traffic opening their door.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:05 pm 

I ♥ lane splitting.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:16 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Do it somewhere nobody expects it and you'll probably end up dead sooner or later.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:14 pm 

brian wrote:
Lane splitting is only legal in a few states. California is a big one. It's not legal in Illinois, and I've read enough horror stories about it that I'd be extremely cautious if iI were to try it.

I've done it in California cause I knew it was legal there.
I do it in the way it's legal in my country, which means you can do it when the speed of the other traffic is below 30 mph and the difference in speed between the motorcycle and other traffic should be less than 8 mph.

Not like the one that overtakes me at 0:30 (for me it was an adventure/tense to move a rented electra glide so close to the cars)
http://youtu.be/b0O1raSVZ2M

This is the Netherlands http://youtu.be/fYPK5MgYndQ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:13 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Yikes. I um...wouldn't do that if I were you. But then I'm not from the Netherlands and I am a fan of bicycle helmets.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:56 pm 
A Bad Person

I don't want this thread to turn into a safety argument. All I was trying to say is that it doesn't happen on the roads I'm riding on, so I don't do it. I'm not particularly experienced, so I'd be super careful if I were going to attempt lane splitting, as I would doing anything unfamiliar. I didn't mean to speak for all cyclists, nor did I mean to imply that lane splitting was any less safe than riding in traffic to begin with. Eric has a lot more skill than I do, and his videos looked perfectly safe to me.

Moving on, my winter gear arrived! I got an Arctiva balaclava, a pair of Sidi H2Out gloves, and a pair of Tour Master Caliber riding pants! Now maybe my commute to work won't freeze me to death under 40 deg F.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:23 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Yeah, lane splitting in areas where it is legal is totally different than doing it somewhere nobody does it.

Brian, get heated glove liners! They change everything.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:12 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

After I posted I realized I shouldn't be chiming in on this thread because I don't know anything about motorcycling, so I apologize. I just worry for people.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:28 pm 
A Bad Person

So maybe riding to work this morning was a bad idea. It was about 29F when I left. Even my jacket wasn't all that warm on the inside, but the pants were comfortable. My right hand almost froze off, and I think it has to do with my grip. By the time I get up to speed, I'm beyond knuckles up, I'm almost at fingers up. I should probably adjust my crampbuster so that I'm closer to knuckles flat, but that might end up with me being all cranked up on the throttle at idle. Regardless, for some reason my right hand gets colder than my left hand and it's awful!

At least the temperature will be in the mid 40's when I leave in an hour. That might be comfortable.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:57 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Heated glove liners.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:01 pm 
A Bad Person

Nope! I will continue to suffer with cold hands until April, at the earliest.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:03 pm 

lavawitch wrote:
Heated glove liners.

Heated gear is good.

I recently and reluctantly bought heated gloves (partially leather), but it's important that it fits snugly.

I have an L size glove that's hard to get my hand in, but I can still move my fingers a bit freely and don't feel so much heat from the gloves.

I know have:
- grip covers
- heated gloves
- heated jacket (awesome!)
- heated insoles

ETA: I see heated gear partially as a safety item. Having cold hands till the point that it hurts is one thing, but if that means I have problems using my hands for braking cause they are stiff from the cold can be dangerous.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next