| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10603 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129 ... 425  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:55 am 
WRETCHED

paprikapapaya wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:
Unless of course, you're a former vegan blogger who went from being super militant to blogging about your day at the rodeo. Then your book can eat me.

Still too soon. I hate how upset I was (am) by this.

what's this about? I'm guessing I don't want to know.

Yeah, I'm never in the know.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:57 am 
WELFARIST!

Same. I have no idea who they're talking about.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:15 am 
ugh

They're talking about Mama Pea, who went to a rodeo sometime last summer and blogged about it.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:25 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I never got the whole Mama Pea obsession anyway. Maybe I came to her blog late, but when I was reading it a couple of years ago, there was some entry about her going out to eat with her husband and they put cheese on her salad or whatever, and instead of taking it back and not eating it, she said she ate it and was all, 'Oh, a little cheese never hurt anyone!' and it really grated on my nerves. I mean, sure, if you're vegan for health reasons, maybe you don't give a shiitake about eating cheese here and there, but... cut that out, please, for the rest of us.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:31 am 
WRETCHED

you mean you don't eat cheese if it comes on your salad?

I will also say I'm extremely ignorant in terms of what a rodeo is to know that it is a (really?) bad thing. I know animals being used in terms of entertainment is generally not a good thing for the animals but I just don't anything about rodeos.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:33 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Oh, that made me forget that I came in here to post my own pet peeve from last night! This isn't really a vegan pet peeve, specifically, but maybe just a 'people are forking stupid' pet peeve. Last night I was talking to this couple that comes in to the restaurant where I work quite often. The man is a nurse, I don't know what the woman does, but they act really health conscious all the time. Both of them are pretty overweight and never order healthy food when I see them, but I guess that doesn't really matter. Anyway, last night the man was talking about how he's giving up diet soda because artificial sweeteners are so bad for you. Then he ordered a pizza with extra cheese. Then he started talking about how he's been taking his lunch to work to stay healthier and save money. Then he said what he's been taking to work are frozen meals. I mentioned that I try to stay away from processed foods and cook everything that I can from scratch. And he said, in this low, I'm-just-being-honest-with-you voice, 'Well...you should watch out, because unless you wash all your vegetables really well, it's worse than eating processed food. They wash all of those vegetables in BLEACH.' Ok, dude, I wash my vegetables, and how is that worse than eating tons of cheese and frozen crepe? But I just kind of nodded and was like, yep, ok. Then! His wife then starts talking about how sad she was that Hostess went out of business because she ate some coffee cake thing they made every morning for breakfast. When I said that she could probably very easily bake something just like it herself, she balked...'But...baking is so much work!' Ack.

Like, don't be all high and mighty about health and not smoking and the bleach on my vegetables, you morons.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:38 am 
WRETCHED

I think people are given a lot of misinformation in general, and then they get steered to Dr Oz or Dr Mercola or similar and get on the path to crazy. Personally, I wouldn't even engage with them.

I was reading this book written by a nutritionist talking about how she ordered a 'healthy' item with cheese and got strange looks but she said she needed the calcium and wasn't drinking milk at the time or something. I was like... you are a nutritionist and cheese was the best thing you could come up with for calcium?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:56 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I don't know if I'd call it an obsession, but I really liked her blog. She made terrible jokes that always cracked me up. I didn't see the post about eating the salad that came with cheese though, that would have bothered me. I also corresponded with her a bit via email, and she just seemed like good people. The change seemed random to me with the rodeo and the Amy's cheese pizza. And she got pretty defensive/evasive when confronted with questions regarding the change. I mean, whatever I guess. She has some recipes that I really enjoy and wish her future success, I just can't get into to blog any longer.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:59 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Hmm. I've read that Mama Pea blog a few times, but found the writing style to be aggravating for me to read.

With tiny.

Little sentences.

All spread out.

To create interest.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:00 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

This isn't really a pet peeve, but anyway, my best friend's ex-boyfriend (who sucks in general) has (had? haven't checked in a while) a blog called A Dork and His Pork that's all about his gross adventures eating pigs. I looked at it once and he had this recipe where he ADAPTED SOMETHING FROM VEGANOMICON by adding pigs to it. That's like a personal insult to Isa & Terry, ya know?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:48 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

b.vicious wrote:
They're talking about Mama Pea, who went to a rodeo sometime last summer and blogged about it.

I didn't know about the rodeo thing, but I assumed it was Mama Pea. Sigh.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:10 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

linanil wrote:

I will also say I'm extremely ignorant in terms of what a rodeo is to know that it is a (really?) bad thing. I know animals being used in terms of entertainment is generally not a good thing for the animals but I just don't anything about rodeos.

ive never been to an actual rodeo but i believe the gist is a cowboy (on a horse maybe) goes out and tries to lasso an ornery bull and take it to the ground. i think also there may be a version where they taunt the bull into making it super pissed and the cowboy rides it while it's thrashing around and sees how long he can stay on and not get mauled cause you know that's manly and shiitake.

why this is entertainment i have no idea. even if i didnt care about the animal torture it doesnt sound like good entertainment.

basically i believe the bottom line on rodeos is they are meant to endlessly torture cows. NO IDEA what happens to said bulls after they have been lassoed adn are done rodeoing.

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:14 pm 
WRETCHED

LisaPunk wrote:
linanil wrote:

ive never been to an actual rodeo but i believe the gist is a cowboy (on a horse maybe) goes out and tries to lasso an ornery bull and take it to the ground. i think also there may be a version where they taunt the bull into making it super pissed and the cowboy rides it while it's thrashing around and sees how long he can stay on and not get mauled cause you know that's manly and shiitake.

why this is entertainment i have no idea. even if i didnt care about the animal torture it doesnt sound like good entertainment.

basically i believe the bottom line on rodeos is they are meant to endlessly torture cows. NO IDEA what happens to said bulls after they have been lassoed adn are done rodeoing.

Oh lovely! I thought rodeos were mainly people riding horses around, maybe doing tricks with horses.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:16 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

that could very well be part of it but im pretty sure the bull riding thing is like the big attraction :-(

it seems to be a big draw out West (at least in the touristy area of WY)

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:25 pm 
WRETCHED

Yeah, I just didn't know. I can think of someone like my mom saying 'hey I want to go to a rodeo', then going, then seeing that and be like 'what the fizzle was that? really people?'

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:25 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

There are lots of different activities at rodeos. A popular one is to grease a piglet and try to get a bunch of kids to catch it. There are also a various contests to see how fast people can tie up farm animals.

There's a pretty high injury rate for both humans and the other animals they're working with.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:40 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Rodeo comes from the latin word 'rodeus', which means to fork with animals and scare the shiitake out of them for human amusement.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:26 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Then there are prison rodeos, where instead of cowboys who've been training and learning how to do all this stuff, it's inmates from a prison, where part of the "fun" is seeing the inmates get knocked to the ground and fall off their horses all the time.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:28 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
Yesterday: the girl behind the bakery counter who met my question about whether a certain bread contained eggs or dairy by blinking stupidly and saying, "They all have gluten." (Thanks so much; that was entirely unhelpful!)

Don't you know that gluten is made from eggs and dairy? Silly vegans!

A lot of people here seem to think if you're vegan, you're also gluten free... uhh, riiiiight. *shakes head* Being that I "try" to avoid gluten when I can, that is totally unrelated LOL!

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ TheVeganHammock

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:29 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Ohh here's mine for the day... so we order veggie pitas from the local fast food restaurant we used to order pizza from, and the guy on the phone sounding rude-ish, tells us: "Are you sure? You know that one is the vegetarian pita?" As if he wanted us to rethink our order. What the crepe!

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ TheVeganHammock

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:47 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

There's cake at the office for a coworker's new baby. A coworker from down the hall comes in and takes a piece. I'm sort of friendly with her and she knows I'm vegan.
Coworker: so what's in this that you can't have, flour?
Me: no...I'm not gluten free!
C: oh that's right, um it's the sugar?
Me: No, think about it! I'm vegan. I don't eat animal products.
C: so...oil?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:35 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

The secretary at my job thinks I can eat custard when it has fruit on it, because I eat fruit. Apparently the custard is all eggs part goes in one ear and out the other. She also asked if I eat chocolate, like Godiva, and I said no, but there are companies that make chocolate without milk and I eat that. But she kept coming back to Godiva is good chocolate. Godiva is overpriced crappy chocolate! I like my chocolate xoxox, dark chocolate varieties.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:56 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

The Godiva sold in this country is not legal to sell as chocolate in Belgium.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:36 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Alaina wrote:
The secretary at my job thinks I can eat custard when it has fruit on it, because I eat fruit. Apparently the custard is all eggs part goes in one ear and out the other. She also asked if I eat chocolate, like Godiva, and I said no, but there are companies that make chocolate without milk and I eat that. But she kept coming back to Godiva is good chocolate. Godiva is overpriced crappy chocolate! I like my chocolate xoxox, dark chocolate varieties.

Vegans eat anything with fruit on- steak, veal, scrambled egg..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:42 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Dang this thread moves fast! Guess we have a lot to bisque about

I don't have a problem with vegan-for-health folks. Animals not being eaten is alwasy a win in my book. it just peeves me when they complain about not being able to eat ________ (insert meat/dairy/egg here) anymore! And it didn't really bother me that much...I sure didn't say anything to him about it! I just came here to complain. I like to complain. In "real life" I smile all the time at people, have to reassure them of stuff, smooth things over, and sometimes I want to get all punchy. But I don't. Mostly.

Oh and rodeos? I guess this new company I work for does a lot of rodeo events in TX. Guess who's the events person? Yeah me. I hope I don't have to go to any of them.
Horse races too. Not sure how I feel about that. I can't get out of those. And I am still conflicted about horse sports. I rode and even showed as a child. Luckily I always have open bar at events, so I can drown my sorrows in some cruelty free beverages.

Reply to topic  [ 10603 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129 ... 425  Next