| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Take your b12
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:34 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I take a pill every other day or so. I'm not sure if that's frequent enough. I've never actually had my levels tested. I do also drink a lot of fortified milks and occasionally eat fortified protein bars and stuff. I assume I'm okay...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:15 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

CaitiS615 wrote:
Beanitarian wrote:
CaitiS615 wrote:
Just recently I've begun to evolve from being vegetarian to vegan and have begun taking b12. Is there such a thing as taking too much? I got a bottle of vegan b complex from TJ's and it has 50 mcg of b12 which is 833% of your daily amount- that just seems like a lot. Not to mention that my urine is fluorescent :/

I haven't come across anything about toxicity from B12, but you should be aware that B6 (which is likely present in your B-complex supplement) toxicity is possible, resulting in nerve damage. Is rare, but it does happen. I'm not sure what doses are necessary to be at risk.

From what I've briefly read, it seems okay to take anything under 300 mcg/daily and this only has 50 mcg. It says if I experience any limb numbness to stop the vitamins. :/

Gah! I think I'm taking way too much. I take a 500mcg tablet 5x a week (because I leave them at work) and then a multivitamin that 100 mcg. Am I going to explode and die? I also have total Gatorade pee.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:59 pm 
Chip Strong

Bananastand wrote:
CaitiS615 wrote:
Beanitarian wrote:
I haven't come across anything about toxicity from B12, but you should be aware that B6 (which is likely present in your B-complex supplement) toxicity is possible, resulting in nerve damage. Is rare, but it does happen. I'm not sure what doses are necessary to be at risk.

From what I've briefly read, it seems okay to take anything under 300 mcg/daily and this only has 50 mcg. It says if I experience any limb numbness to stop the vitamins. :/

Gah! I think I'm taking way too much. I take a 500mcg tablet 5x a week (because I leave them at work) and then a multivitamin that 100 mcg. Am I going to explode and die? I also have total Gatorade pee.

B6 or B12? I haven't read anything about B12 toxicity, but B6 can be toxic as mentioned above. There is really no reason to supplement B6 unless you have been told to do so by a medical professional. Appropriate dosing of B12 can be found here: http://www.veganhealth.org/b12/rec

If you have 500 mcg tablets of B12, I would take two of them at a time (1000 mcg total), twice a week per Jack Norris's chart. Chewable or sublingual are best.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:12 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

B12. The chart is helpful, but I'm still worried if it will be overkill when combined with my multi, the fortified almond milk I use, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:24 pm 
Chip Strong

Bananastand wrote:
B12. The chart is helpful, but I'm still worried if it will be overkill when combined with my multi, the fortified almond milk I use, etc.

Here is what Jack Norris has to say about potential toxicity: http://veganhealth.org/b12/toxicity I would ask a dietitian if you are very concerned.

From what I understand from reading info from registered dietitians Jack Norris and Ginny Messina, B12 from multivitamins might not be reliably absorbed unless your multivitamin is chewable.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:37 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

am taking D3, B12 and Omega3 DHA by now... feel like an old woman, taking my pills!

also, this is your reminder to take your vitamins today.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:57 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ugh. so we have to chew it now?
where do you get chewable vitamin B12? mine is just a pill i swallow.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:21 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

LisaPunk wrote:
ugh. so we have to chew it now?
where do you get chewable vitamin B12? mine is just a pill i swallow.

I use this one. It's actually yummy. I don't know where youy can get it locally, (I found it first in a store in Toronto), but have recently ordered it from iherb.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:38 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I like the GNC B12 sublinguals. They are also chewable. And they aren't nasty tasting like some other vitamins out there.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:01 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I have a vegan multi supplement thing I swallow, are they no good for B12? I'm do crepe at remembering to take it! My milk and marge are fortified too...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:07 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I use the sublingual Jarrow Methyl B12 (though I chew it because I'm impatient). It's pretty tasty!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:37 pm 
Chip Strong

Cgvegan wrote:
I have a vegan multi supplement thing I swallow, are they no good for B12? I'm do crepe at remembering to take it! My milk and marge are fortified too...

I guess e B12 in supplements that aren't chewable may not be reliably absorbed. I think I read this either on veganhealth.org or theVeganRD blog, or both. I recently started adding a sublingual/chewable B12 in addition to my multivitamin (not chewable), since I haven't been as consistent about fortified foods. I'm not certain it's truly necessary, but this is one case where I'd rather err on the side of too much.

ETA: Here we go: http://veganhealth.org/b12/vegansources#CHEW
Quote:
7 people chewed the tablets of 100 µg (once a week for 6 weeks) and their average serum B12 levels went from 116 to 291. Of the 9 who didn't chew, theirs increased from 123 to only 139.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:48 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i ordered some of the 1000mcg lozenges. ive been taking a pill and the last time i had bloodwork done that tested my b12 (oct 2011???) my levels were fine but i kinda feel better safe than sorry on this issue.

how many a week should i take? the actually # of mcg per day you need is pretty small.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:51 pm 
Chip Strong

LisaPunk wrote:
i ordered some of the 1000mcg lozenges. ive been taking a pill and the last time i had bloodwork done that tested my b12 (oct 2011???) my levels were fine but i kinda feel better safe than sorry on this issue.

how many a week should i take? the actually # of mcg per day you need is pretty small.

Per Jack Norris's info, you should take the 1000 mcg lozenges twice a week: http://veganhealth.org/b12/rec

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:52 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

sweet. that's pretty easy. one less pill to swallow everyday even though the one i was takign was tiny and chopped in half (it was like a 500mcg pill so i chopped it in half and took one everyday)

thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:28 pm 
Semen Strong

I found this update re Methylcobalamin that it appears safe to say that 1,500 µg per day of methylcobalamin should be enough for just about anyone.
http://jacknorrisrd.com/category/b12/

I was told to get a methylcobalamin spray, and am not sure which one to get. Any recommendations?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:05 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I just hung up with my doc. I had my holo tc tested and the result came back with 21,6!! Everything under 35 (HE said under 50) is a deficiency. Aaarghg! I am sooo lazy with my supplements...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:49 am 
Bathes in Braggs

jerusha, once your deficiency is resolved, maybe switch to a high dose B12 supplement? According to Jack Norris, if you take 1000 mcg cyanocobalamin, you only have to take it twice a week. I'm no good at remembering to take supplements either, but I manage to do it twice a week if the bottle is right in front of me on the countertop.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:19 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Cornelie wrote:
jerusha, once your deficiency is resolved, maybe switch to a high dose B12 supplement? According to Jack Norris, if you take 1000 mcg cyanocobalamin, you only have to take it twice a week. I'm no good at remembering to take supplements either, but I manage to do it twice a week if the bottle is right in front of me on the countertop.

I would recommend to switch to a high dose B-12 supplement anyway. That will help to solve the deficiency too.

It sure helps to put the bottle in a place where you often see it, like next to the computer or on the countertop.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:19 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

So I finally got a doctor to give me a b12 test. My GP has only been testing me for anemia and since I'm not he refuses to test my b12. I was referred to an internist for other symptoms and he decided to test my b12. I'm at 237, which to me seems like the very low side of normal, right?

How do I boost my b12 levels? Do I just take more b12 or is that a waste?

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:03 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i've read that taking comparatively smaller doses more frequently will let you absorb more than taking larger doses less frequently.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:50 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Supplementing works for me. I use a sublingual (Trophic 1000 mcg) a few days a week.

I trust Ginny Messina: http://www.theveganrd.com/2010/07/vitam ... nough.html

and Vegan Health: http://www.veganhealth.org/b12/rec

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:07 pm 

i used to forget all the time, but now it's nothing. i have an old lady weekly pill box thing where i put a "thyroid support" pill in for every evening. (i take it for the iodine, but it also has B12 in it. score!)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:16 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

What thyroid support supplement do you use?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:27 pm 

this one. http://www.nowfoods.com/Thyroid-Energy- ... psules.htm

i experimented to see if that was why my face looks horrible when i'm not producing estrogen, (and i have a short luteal phase, and it takes longer than most people for my temperature to rise after ovulation, so i was suspecting that my thyroid wasn't producing progesterone very well. that and i'm always cold.) my face does look a little better, but not entirely, so last week i started also taking vitex. we'll see in a week or so if that is helping. i hope so.

ingredients of thyroid energy:
Spoiler: show
Vitamin B-6 (from Pyridoxine HCl) 2 mg 100%
Folate (as Folic Acid) 400 mcg 100%
Vitamin B-12 (as Methylcobalamin) 60 mcg 1000%
Iodine (from Potassium Iodide) 225 mcg 150%
Zinc (from L-OptiZinc® - Zinc L-Methionine Complex) 25 mg 167%
Selenium (from L-Selenomethionine) 50 mcg 71%
Copper (from Copper Amino Acid Chelate) 1 mg 50%
L-Tyrosine (Free-Form) 1 g (1,000 mg) †
Guggul (Commiphora mukul) (Resinous Sap)
Standardized Extract (min. 2.5% Guggulsterones) 75 mg †
Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) (Root)
Standardized Extract (min. 2.5% Withanolides) 50 mg †

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next