| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12414 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130 ... 497  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

It's kind of frustrating that almost every time I eat in front of people at work, they bring up veganism. It's not argumentative or anything like that. I guess I should be grateful for the opportunity to talk about it with people who aren't crassholes, but sometimes I just want to eat.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:19 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

paprikapapaya wrote:
Hmm. I've read that Mama Pea blog a few times, but found the writing style to be aggravating for me to read.

With tiny.

Little sentences.

All spread out.

To create interest.
Or.

Not.

Then again the appeal of the whole privileged mommy blog phenomenon has always escaped me. Add mediocre recipes, ickily proselytizing Christianity, and unbelievably annoying puns and I get bored and/or peased off (see what I did there? It's, like, totally witty and clever!).

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:32 am 
Seagull of the PPK

there are plenty of resources about why rodeos are not great, but i think the bottom line is that the survivors don't go to live out their lives under olive trees, they end up between buns, and that's good enough for me to avoid it.

but i wanted to respond to bleach. *I* wash my vegetables in bleach (obvs dilute solution). Even the organic ones from my garden, because who lives in my garden? parasite carrying snails. you wash in bleach and then RINSE. maybe Mr Caution would prefer a salmonella-contaminated canteloupe that wasn't washed in bleach so he could experience the Natural Joys of Food Poisoning?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:48 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Why do all the easily accessible vitamins have to be in forking gelatin caps? It is a pain in the asparagus to have to make a special trip to the SDA shop to get vitamin E (and pay 3x as much) when I pass two conveniently located Vitamin Worlds on my way home. Why not just make all the vitamins in vegetable caps? Grumble grumble grumble

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:57 am 
WRETCHED

torque wrote:
there are plenty of resources about why rodeos are not great, but i think the bottom line is that the survivors don't go to live out their lives under olive trees, they end up between buns, and that's good enough for me to avoid it.

Yeah, based on the comments here, I can tell they are not good but I guess intuitively, I wouldn't know that. And I don't know the circumstances of the particular blog post. Just in general, I could've imagined myself going to a rodeo because someone I knew wanted to go thinking it was something else then saying "ugh, I went to a rodeo, I should've known better". If people thought I was a bad vegan for that then I'd be like "yes, I should've looked into it". On the other hand if I said "hey I went to a rodeo, had a great time" and people thought I was a crasshole, then I wouldn't be surprised.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:21 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

After another lunch incident... I just don't know how my coworker's brain works, I'm baffled. He thinks I can't have soymilk (refused to explain why he would think that), but I can eat mussels.

How many times do I need to explain to you what vegan means. How many tiiiiiimes?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:43 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

stellamarie wrote:
Why do all the easily accessible vitamins have to be in forking gelatin caps? It is a pain in the asparagus to have to make a special trip to the SDA shop to get vitamin E (and pay 3x as much) when I pass two conveniently located Vitamin Worlds on my way home. Why not just make all the vitamins in vegetable caps? Grumble grumble grumble

oh my gosh, yes, that! I have to order mine online... grr

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:28 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

torque wrote:
but i wanted to respond to bleach. *I* wash my vegetables in bleach (obvs dilute solution). Even the organic ones from my garden, because who lives in my garden? parasite carrying snails. you wash in bleach and then RINSE. maybe Mr Caution would prefer a salmonella-contaminated canteloupe that wasn't washed in bleach so he could experience the Natural Joys of Food Poisoning?

Right? People are so misinformed.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:28 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Canada goose coats, everywhere. I feel like I've posted this already but I really hate seeing them. Especially people walking their dogs while wearing them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:40 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Moon wrote:
Canada goose coats, everywhere. I feel like I've posted this already but I really hate seeing them. Especially people walking their dogs while wearing them.

UGH. This x a gajilion.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:42 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I've never heard of Canada goose coats, so I just looked them up. Ugh indeed.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:44 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I went to lunch yesterday with some coworkers and one woman brought up a vegan girl she knew in college who ate only "chips and other junk food." The woman said "Well, I could be vegan then." in a sarcastic way. I guess she meant to imply that vegans are on a high horse or something, but are brought down by eating junk food? I don't even understand, to tell you the truth.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:51 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lepelaar wrote:

They are advertised as being able to withstand arctic cold conditions but where I live/work every spoiled college student owns one since, you know, you gotta have coyote around your face to keep you warm after you've been drinking at the bar late.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:13 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Cgvegan wrote:
Alaina wrote:
The secretary at my job thinks I can eat custard when it has fruit on it, because I eat fruit. Apparently the custard is all eggs part goes in one ear and out the other. She also asked if I eat chocolate, like Godiva, and I said no, but there are companies that make chocolate without milk and I eat that. But she kept coming back to Godiva is good chocolate. Godiva is overpriced crappy chocolate! I like my chocolate xoxox, dark chocolate varieties.

Vegans eat anything with fruit on- steak, veal, scrambled egg..

Yea I've been served string beans slathered in butter because of that logic! Oh but you eat string beans? yes but not butter. But you eat string beans? Not with butter. Then watch their brain explode when you suggest not putting butter on them.

Speaking of supplements and gelcaps, medications too! I had an allergic to reaction and went to get benadryl or something similar and every single one had gelatin or some lactose product (can't remember what it was exactly, but I googled it on my phone and it wasn't from a plant). So I took nothing and just dealt with it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:57 am 
Keepin' It Seal

I have a coworker who has brought me pieces of broccoli quiche and zucchini bread because they have vegetables, so they're vegan. She swears I can eat it until I make her go through and tell me everything that's in it. Even the quiche. She swore it was vegan and had no animal products until I made her tell me the recipe step by step and she got to the eggs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:59 am 
Grandfathered In

I'm impressed that she didn't tell you that eggs come from chickens, not animals.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:59 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

ugh, that's really annoying, joyfulgirl. It's really hard when people SWEAR something is vegan and you just know it's not. It's SO awkward!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:05 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Moon wrote:
lepelaar wrote:

They are advertised as being able to withstand arctic cold conditions but where I live/work every spoiled college student owns one since, you know, you gotta have coyote around your face to keep you warm after you've been drinking at the bar late.

I read a rant like that last year in the "Love the Way We bisque" column in the local weekly here. Right now, this minute, it is cold enough for a Canada Goose jacket but 98-99% of the year you do not need one in Halifax. I have seen people wearing them at +5 Celsius. As much as I hate them for the cruelty, I could understand wearing one in Inuvik. Here it is ridiculous.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:09 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

lobsteriffic wrote:
Moon wrote:

UGH. This x a gajilion.

There's this woman I'm FB friends with (one of my former teachers and a family friend) who posts one minute going on about how cruel people are to animals and oh my gosh how could anyone be cruel animals have souls then the next minute about cooking beef spare ribs in a slow cooker. I just don't get it!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:12 pm 
Chip Strong

Omnivore friend on FB posting a don't use mouse poison because this poor cute owl died by eating a poisoned mouse. Yes, I think this is a good PSA. I don't want owls to die and I catch and release mice in my home. However, can you not see the hypocrisy as you post about this poor dead cute owl and you ate chicken while sitting next to me two days ago?! Argh.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:24 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Arisaig wrote:
Moon wrote:
lepelaar wrote:

I read a rant like that last year in the "Love the Way We bisque" column in the local weekly here. Right now, this minute, it is cold enough for a Canada Goose jacket but 98-99% of the year you do not need one in Halifax. I have seen people wearing them at +5 Celsius. As much as I hate them for the cruelty, I could understand wearing one in Inuvik. Here it is ridiculous.

Girl I've complained about before (the one who wants fur because it makes her look rich) wants one, and she doesn't even bother wearing a jacket in the winter because she goes straight from her car to the door of wherever she's going.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:19 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ijustdiedinside wrote:
ugh, that's really annoying, joyfulgirl. It's really hard when people SWEAR something is vegan and you just know it's not. It's SO awkward!

this is why i never want to try other peoples' foods or have people cook for me who like aren't my mom and understand EXACTLY what i mean.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:24 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

lobsteriffic wrote:
Moon wrote:

UGH. This x a gajilion.

YES!

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:25 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

erynne936 wrote:
Omnivore friend on FB posting a don't use mouse poison because this poor cute owl died by eating a poisoned mouse. Yes, I think this is a good PSA. I don't want owls to die and I catch and release mice in my home. However, can you not see the hypocrisy as you post about this poor dead cute owl and you ate chicken while sitting next to me two days ago?! Argh.

Yeah, like the "save the dolphins" activists. Save the dolphins from those cruel tuna nets!

Um...what about the tuna? who saves them?

Oh wait. Tuna are not as cute as dolphins, so lets eat them. Logical.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:43 pm 
Semen Strong

I don't mind that so much any more than I mind all the dog and cat rescue people who eat meat. Compassion for animals has to start somewhere and maybe if they care about one animal, you can find a way to education about others.

I'd rather have someone who cares about one or two species of animal than someone who doesn't care about animals at all (and sadly there are so many of those around).

Even when I was vegan, I didn't care about chickens until I heard Karen Davis speak. Once you learn how awesome they are you realize how terrible it is that we treat them so badly, but I bought the propaganda that they were really dumb and didn't even care for a long time.

Pet peeve: shitty propaganda about how food animals are dumb when they aren't. Plus the animals used for food are eaten when they are babies and human babies are even more stupid than baby animals. A 90 day old baby is no where near as smart as a 90 day old chicken.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12414 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130 ... 497  Next