| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Big Vegan
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:19 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Oh, I wanted to add two more reviews for recipes that I made over the holidays!

Italian spinach with garlic and raisins - I made this as part of our Christmas dinner and everyone really liked it! I thought the raisins were a nice addition to counteract some of the bitterness of the greens. This would probably be really good with other greens, like kale. It was also omni approved!

Apple walnut cake with caramel sauce - I think this recipe calls for a tad too much lemon zest. I guess maybe I just wasn't expecting such a bright flavor paired with typical autumnal spices, but I wasn't really a fan. The caramel sauce had a bit of a starchy flavor from the corn starch, so I think I'd cut down on that if I were to make it in the future since a caramel sauce for a cake really doesn't need to be THAT thick. The caramel flavor was really good, though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:28 am 
Huffs Nooch

I've had a lot of success with this book. The Creamy Artichoke Pasta al Forno comes to mind. So tasty. The only flop was the Cashew-Brown Rice Loaf with Red Pepper Glaze. Dry and way to dense for my liking. I'm pretty sure I followed the instructions carefully.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:06 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Karena wrote:
I highly recommend the chocolate & almond cake.

I made a test batch to see whether I should bring it to work next week, minus the coconut milk (subbed soy) and topping (ran out of chocolate), and the verdict on the base was "yes"! I was initially a little surprised by the amount of oil called for, but the resulting crumb was great.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:26 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Just made the creamy cabbage and caraway soup since I had all the ingredients in my pantry. WOWWWWWWWW. This is definitely one of those recipes where the sum is greater than its parts. The caraway and soft cabbage and caramelized onions and potatoes just meld together perfectly.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:28 pm 
Nailed to the V

I just downloaded the kindle version since it was pretty cheap. Loving the look of it!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:26 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I have this cookbook and I find it totally underrated. It is awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:54 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

The Tomato Basil scramble is fantastic! Its really good raw (before the addition of tomato and basil)

Facebook

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:46 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im currently using this cookbook for my April "use your cookbooks" challenge and am gonna also post my reviews here since there isnt a ton of feedback in this thread!

the artichoke pasta al forno (basically a casserole) was good except it was BLAND. both of us thought so. if it had more seasoning it would have been great. i would make it again and add garlic and more salt. the only seasoning in the entire recipe was 1/2 tsp salt and a dash of cayenne.
the only other thing i didnt like and i think this is personal preference is the top dried out and was like eating uncooked pasta to me. very crunchy.

the green beans provencal were great though i had to do a lot of subs due to laziness. i used fire roasted diced tomatoes which doesnt seem very french but ended up tasting fine (i had an open container). i dont have champagne vinegar so i used ACV. i totally forgot to get basil so i didnt even have that and i never made it to a grocery store with an olive bar to get real green olives so for mine i just threw in a couple of the green olives in a jar with the pimentos. my husband ate it without olives. i thought the olives added a nice layer of flavor. i would definitely make this recipe again.

the Kenyan kidney bean and coconut soup came out good. it does not make much and is not very "soup" like so i added the whole can of coconut milk instead of just 1 cup but it was tasty. we finished all of it.

the onion flatbread was total fail. when i took it out it looked finished and when i cut into it it was very doughy. i put it back in for another 10ish minutes and it was still basically raw. we both thought it was gross and threw most of it out.

the Bengali curry was pretty good. also easy to make. wasnt like crazy abuot it or anything but it was a perfectly fine dinner. i also made the coconut milk raita from the book to go with it which was kind of watery. im still not sure how i felt about it.