| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 768 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pie In The Sky
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:23 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

the lemon mousse pie is chilling in my fridge right now (as one 9" springform pie, not minis) and omg is the filling good!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:42 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Oh man, the maple pecan pie looks and smells so good. I'm sad I can't eat it until tomorrow night.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:04 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

The Grasshopper Pie was a big hit with my family! It took 2 tries to make the chocolate cookie crust - it worked much better with slightly less coconut oil in a springform pan than it did with the melted Earth Balance in a stone pie plate. It looked so beautiful with the chocolate squigglies on top! I bought vegan whip but forgot to use it. There was no coconut flavor at all (refined coconut oil). My only complaint is that it gets melty too fast. Maybe next time I'll stick it in the freezer for a bit before serving it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:38 pm 

I was a little worried about the topping on my lemon pie. It didn't seem like it was going to set, but after all night in the fridge it set! a christmas miracle!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:54 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

The maple pecan pie was a christmas miracle, too. Especially after I told my cousins there was tofu in it!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:47 pm 
And you never will.

After talking with my mom and aunt at xmas, I realized I do something with my pecan pies that not everyone does, so I thought I would share? In case anyone cares?

Anyway, after putting the crust in the pan, I pour in the plain pecans and stick it in the oven for about 10 minutes, then pull it out and let it cool while I prepare the rest of the filling. Then I just pour it right over the pecans and bake. The advantage I've found is that the crust par-bakes a little, preventing the soggy bottom issue. It also lightly toasts the pecans, giving more flavor, and they act like pie weights, keeping the crust from shrinking/puffing while par-baking. So, there you go!

Anyway, I made the maple pecan pie for xmas, but turned it into a chocolate bourbon pecan pie. Whoa yum.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:37 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I froze the last piece of my Grasshopper Pie and I am happy to report that it's perfect frozen! Next time I make it I'll freeze the whole thing and serve it that way. It's so close to an ice cream pie. Easy to cut & everything.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:20 pm 
Tofu Pup

Has anyone had any problems with the graham cracker crusts shrinking significantly? I could only fit less than half of the cappuccino mousse pie in my crust!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:32 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Mmm, I made banoffee pie over the holidays - and oh my God, it was amazing! My family and I ate it all in less than 2 days.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:58 am 
Inflexitarian

poopiebitch wrote:
Anyway, I made the maple pecan pie for xmas, but turned it into a chocolate bourbon pecan pie. Whoa yum.

Ooooh, how did you do this? Or is it a trade secret? Chocolate pecan pie is an old fav of mine!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:09 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Has anyone tried poaching the pears for the frangipane tart? I see a lot of non-vegan recipes which advise to poach them, I bet the tart would turn out extra-yummy. Must go all-out tomorrow, day off work, going to spend it baking up a storm!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:17 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

^ So I ended up poaching the pears in advance in a vanilla-cinnamon sugary syrup. The tart turned out pretty looking and absolutely wonderful, so decadent and flavorful! Surprisingly greasy though, must be all those almonds in addition to the marg... perfect with coffee or tea!

I also made the old-fashioned chocolate pudding pie, tastes so much better than the puddings I've made in the past with soy milk. I don't usually mind the soy taste in anything except in puddings it's really overpowering. This recipe uses almond milk and the flavor comes out great. I added a splash of chocolate extract and bit more chocolate for extra richness. It set really well. The crust is crumbly but I guess cookie crusts usually are...

So yet another successful pie day!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:36 pm 
Saggy Butt

lavawitch wrote:
Single pie lovers: get a set of mini pie pans. I think you can make 4 or so out of a full recipe, then just freeze the others either before or after baking. I bake mine before baking. They come out lovely.

Ooh, that sounds wonderful. For some reason I've been lazy about ordering this book even though I want it desperately (and own and love Isa and Terry's other two dessert books). Probably because I don't really have anyone to bake for. I need more vegan friends :). But that is a great idea (and probably yields adorable looking pies you can present to company as well).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:38 pm 

sweet_potato wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
Single pie lovers: get a set of mini pie pans. I think you can make 4 or so out of a full recipe, then just freeze the others either before or after baking. I bake mine before baking. They come out lovely.

Ooh, that sounds wonderful. For some reason I've been lazy about ordering this book even though I want it desperately (and own and love Isa and Terry's other two dessert books). Probably because I don't really have anyone to bake for. I need more vegan friends :). But that is a great idea (and probably yields adorable looking pies you can present to company as well).

You don't need vegan friends to make vegan treats for :) all my omni friends seriously appreciate all the baking I do for them!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:02 pm 
Saggy Butt

^^I guess I meant friends in general. I've won over tons of omnis with vegan baking. I'm a bit isolated where I am now, so not much baking can be done I'm afraid. I said vegan friends because just once, I'd like someone to bake something for me too ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:35 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

A while back, someone mentioned that the cheesecakes work fine if you leave the banana out, but that the texture is different. Could someone explain the difference? I've been disappointed by the strong banana flavor of my cheesecakes (and I almost never have underripe bananas around).
Basically I don't want to find out 'Oh! The texture becomes gelatinous. Or grainy. Or rubbery. Or stringy.' I guess you could say I'm protective of my desserts. And baking experimentation makes me a little nervous.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:02 am 

sweet_potato wrote:
^^I guess I meant friends in general. I've won over tons of omnis with vegan baking. I'm a bit isolated where I am now, so not much baking can be done I'm afraid. I said vegan friends because just once, I'd like someone to bake something for me too ;)

Ahh makes sense :). Yeah I'm always the one giving baked goods, never receiving :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:20 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I made the Boston Cream Pie! It's pretty delicious, but the layers definitely separate when I try to eat it (the cake and chocolate stick together and slide off the custard and crust). Anyway, I ended up just eating it like a piece of pizza with my hands because I have no shame.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:41 am 

brassicajane wrote:
A while back, someone mentioned that the cheesecakes work fine if you leave the banana out, but that the texture is different. Could someone explain the difference? I've been disappointed by the strong banana flavor of my cheesecakes (and I almost never have underripe bananas around).
Basically I don't want to find out 'Oh! The texture becomes gelatinous. Or grainy. Or rubbery. Or stringy.' I guess you could say I'm protective of my desserts. And baking experimentation makes me a little nervous.

I've only subbed for the banana in the pumpkin cheesecake and I used extra pumpkin. It came out great. I don't think you'll end up with a bad texture if you leave out the banana. you could sub extra tofu and some extra cashews or maybe extra PB in the peanut butter one.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:54 am 
So Totally Yiffy

This is one of the books that I was really really excited about, but for some reason, the only thing I have made from this book is the voloptuous pumpkin pie. I made it one with agar flakes (it turned out good), but the texture was just right when I made it again with agar powder.

I thought the pie was good, but a bit spicy for my tastes, but my family said it was spot on :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:11 pm 

Quote:
I've only subbed for the banana in the pumpkin cheesecake and I used extra pumpkin. It came out great. I don't think you'll end up with a bad texture if you leave out the banana. you could sub extra tofu and some extra cashews or maybe extra PB in the peanut butter one.

Cool. Thanks. I will be brave next time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:33 pm 

Okay, whaddya know. We actually had underripe bananas and I used one in the blueberry bliss cheesecake. It's fantastic. Only problem is I've been eating 3+ slices a day.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:36 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

hi, i've had my eye on this cookbook for a little bit.... i did the preview on amazon.com and have a question....

i am allergic to peanuts + all nuts. do a lot of the recipes in this cookbook rely on cashews for thickening? on page 5 of the preview isa and terry mention they use cashews as as the base for so many of the recipes......

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:55 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Many of the creamy pies use cashews. It's probably best to browse through the book at the library or a bookshop before buying it, so that you can see how many of the recipes you could use.

Most of the time the amount of cashews called for is 1/2 cup, which is not that much, so maybe you could sub the cashews with something else? Silken tofu maybe?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:19 am 
Huffs Nooch

Shukriyya wrote:
Many of the creamy pies use cashews. It's probably best to browse through the book at the library or a bookshop before buying it, so that you can see how many of the recipes you could use.

Most of the time the amount of cashews called for is 1/2 cup, which is not that much, so maybe you could sub the cashews with something else? Silken tofu maybe?

Macadamia nuts? Soaked almonds?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 768 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next