| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Meatless (Martha Stewart)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:52 am 
Discovered unobtainium

This is freaking hilarious: I bought this for kindle on my iPad mostly because I wanted to avoid the eye rolls and comments about my embarrassingly large cookbook collection.

Guess what came today? My mom's copy from Amazon. She ordered it herself after I mentioned how nice it seems.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:00 am 
WRETCHED

I made the Marrakesh stew and... I think my husband would've liked it more if he didn't know it was supposed to be moroccan. He thinks it tastes like a moroccan stew made for American palates. Anyway, it made a ton and I don't mind the subtlety of the spices I would recommend some changes.

Halve the vegetables except onions and tomatoes. Basically, 1 potato, 2 carrots, 1 eggplant and half a butternut squash. Or even better, 2 sweet potatoes, 2 carrots, 1 eggplant and omit the russet and butternut squash. Keep the spices the same. I actually put in 2 cans of chickpeas because 1 can simply wasn't enough for the amount of veggies here. I would've added another can of tomatoes except my 6 qt pan was already nearly to the brim.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:30 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

I think I'm going to buy this tomorrow and then go on a cookbook ban until Isa Does It.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:19 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I made the chickpea brown rice burgers. They aren't a vegan recipe, but I used a flax egg and they came together perfectly.

They are very plain and simple, which I expected from the recipe. At first they seemed too bland, but the texture is nice and they are great with all the burger fixings like ketchup, Tofutti, and Vegenaise. For lunch, I had one crumbled on a wrap with spinach and AFR hummus and it was freaking delicious.

Tonight, I ate the last one, spread with hummus, with a fork, and that was also really good.

I think they taste better the second day. I also really like them room temp or from the fridge better than warm.

Nothing earth shaking, but I'll make them again. I think there are endless variations if you add some spice or seasoning.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:30 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I made the beet pasta with ricotta. If you have a hard on for beets, maybe you'll like this.

I dunno though. It's like earthiness x1000000000000. It didn't really work for me. Maybe if I had roasted the beets it would have somehow been wonderful (I used Melissa's precooked for the sake of laziness).

It's not bad or anything; it's just not good. And Molly keeps tasting it, making a yuck face, and then rubbing beet onto my sleeve. My mom didn't like it either, and she does like beets.

I made Vcon cashew riotta to spoon on top.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:38 am 
Shopped till she dropped

Cross-posted from the cookbook challenge thread:

I've cooked a couple things from Martha Stewart's Meatless this week.

First was the Spiced Tofu with Wilted Spinach and Yogurt, a sort of version of saag tofu. I subbed soy yogurt for the dairy and Wildwood Super Firm tofu to skip the pressing step, but something was just not right. I kind of suspect the tofu was off. The date on the package was fine, but the block had a thicker juice than I remember, and it left a weird film in my mouth. I also think the spinach wasn't drained enough, since there was a lot of liquid in the bottom of the pan before I added the yogurt, so it was way too saucy. I tried to cook it out, but it didn't really work. The flavor tasted off too, probably because of the tofu.

Tonight I made the Southwestern Hash. It was okay as is, but I think it has potential to make it to the regular rotation with a few adjustments. The flavor was fine, but not as spiced as I'd like. Tapatio helped. I'll probably try it again, but roast the potatoes and season the tempeh on its own. Maybe even sauté it on its own.

Both of these dishes had some textural issues. The onions in the tofu were too crunchy for the dish (reminded me of a time when I could not eat onions), but I know I overwilted the spinach. The hash was slightly mushy, but roasting the potatoes will help a lot. I'd also add the tomatoes a couple minutes later, since they were a little overcooked for my tastes.

I have the ingredients to make a couple more dishes in the next couple days: Spiced Butternut Squash Soup and Bulgur and Chickpea Salad with Carrot-Pistachio Dressing. I think/hope these will go a little more smoothly.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:51 pm 
Saggy Butt

kara kara wrote:
Cross-posted from the cookbook challenge thread:

I've cooked a couple things from Martha Stewart's Meatless this week.

First was the Spiced Tofu with Wilted Spinach and Yogurt, a sort of version of saag tofu. I subbed soy yogurt for the dairy and Wildwood Super Firm tofu to skip the pressing step, but something was just not right. I kind of suspect the tofu was off. The date on the package was fine, but the block had a thicker juice than I remember, and it left a weird film in my mouth. I also think the spinach wasn't drained enough, since there was a lot of liquid in the bottom of the pan before I added the yogurt, so it was way too saucy. I tried to cook it out, but it didn't really work. The flavor tasted off too, probably because of the tofu.

Tonight I made the Southwestern Hash. It was okay as is, but I think it has potential to make it to the regular rotation with a few adjustments. The flavor was fine, but not as spiced as I'd like. Tapatio helped. I'll probably try it again, but roast the potatoes and season the tempeh on its own. Maybe even sauté it on its own.

Both of these dishes had some textural issues. The onions in the tofu were too crunchy for the dish (reminded me of a time when I could not eat onions), but I know I overwilted the spinach. The hash was slightly mushy, but roasting the potatoes will help a lot. I'd also add the tomatoes a couple minutes later, since they were a little overcooked for my tastes.

I have the ingredients to make a couple more dishes in the next couple days: Spiced Butternut Squash Soup and Bulgur and Chickpea Salad with Carrot-Pistachio Dressing. I think/hope these will go a little more smoothly.

Can't wait for your further reviews. The bulgur dish looks good but a bit plain to me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:49 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

Cross-posted again:

I made a couple more recipes from Meatless, and I'm so glad they turned out better than my previous efforts.

Yesterday, I made the Bulgur and Chickpea Salad with Carrot-Pistachio Dressing. The flavor combination was really good. The mint went really, really well with the apricots and everything else. Next time I make this, I'll double the bulgur and maybe the chickpeas too, to bulk it up a bit. I'll also skip the pesto step and just shred the carrots and crush the pistachios. The pesto was a bit overwhelming as is, and I know I'd like the textural differences.

Tonight, I made the Spiced Butternut Squash Soup. I added a bouillon cube and an extra cup or so of water. The bouillon really gave it an extra depth of flavor. The apple was a great addition, but I've had apple/squash soups before. I love a spicier squash soup, so I'll add some red pepper flakes to my leftovers. It was really great with my usual wheat bread recipe.

saveur wrote:
Can't wait for your further reviews. The bulgur dish looks good but a bit plain to me.

It was actually the most flavorful thing I made this week! The soup was more delicate and simple, but still really tasty.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:59 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

i need to pick up this cookbook again!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:02 pm 
Saggy Butt

Sweet. Thanks for the tips with the recipe. If there is one herb I can grow, it is mint. Booyah! :)