| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Acid Reflux / Heartburn etc thread
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:19 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
as long as I dont binge eat shitty food right before I fall asleep then I dont have to worry about waking up choking on bile thats dripping out of my nose

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:35 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Thanks Baps. I called to make an appt with my PCP and she sent me to the ER - apparently my crappy outlook in the cardio department had her concerned. So, five hours later, I have a clean bill of health - yay! and still have this stupid pain - yay!
Ah well, hopefully it'll go away soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:04 am 
Ninja Master

oh crepe. That's frustrating when they send you away without telling you why you're still in pain. Been there, it sucks!! I hope it goes soon. Is it constant or does it come and go? Did they at least give you some painkillers?

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:40 am 

Thanks Baps!
It comes and goes. Def. worse in the morning. They said I could take ibuprofen but that gives me a gippy tum at the best of times so yeah, no!
Stay acid-free my friends!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:56 am 
Ninja Master

Ugh they told you to take ibuprofen?? When my doc thought I had acid problems they told me not to take that stuff as it can cause ulcers if you take too much and are prone to acid. Who knows who's right on that one!!

I used to wake up with heartburn a lot. I find wine is a real killer for bringing that on so I take a zantac if I'm drinking. Fatty fried food and spicy food used to be a killer too. Sometimes raising the head end of your bed can help apparently.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:56 pm 

Wow, really? Awesome...
Until today I've basically been eating dry crackers, white bread (ick) and pasta with a smidge of Earth Balance. It hasn't made any difference, with or without the antacids, so today at lunch I had a veggie burger and a glass of wine. So far so good!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:28 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I was (mis)diagnosed with GERD. I get why I was, my symptoms looked like GERD and my dad and sister have it. Anyway, I got super sick and turns out it was my gallbladder and bile duct. It was the worst. On the plus side, I hardly ever get heartburn now. But I remember my Nexium days and the pain and heartburn well. If the pain had been in a particular abdominal site, it would have been easier to diagnose correctly, but it was just my whole tummy and up through my chest. I feel for you all because it is not fun having pain when you eat.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:53 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm pretty sure I am going to be tortured tonight when I lie down because I had a day of over-indulging. I totally over-fed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:15 pm 

Daisychain, hope you made it through the night!

I'm pretty sure it's a stomach ulcer. Now if I can just get my doc to see me instead of sending me straight the ER...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:45 am 

No ulcer! Doc gave me anti-spasmodic pills and they work a treat - thank Gawd!
Hope everyone else is feeling good/better in the tummy dept.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:21 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I have holiday-stress-induced heartburn, and it is in varying degrees of awful. I'm trying to be nice to my stomach until my brain stops panicking, but what can I do for Thanksgiving tomorrow to help not irritate my stomach? I'm not eating anything spicy or with tomatoes.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:37 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

:( that sucks, mbm. I get really bad stress induced heartburn, too and then I can't eat anything except crackers and applesauce.

what if you made yourself a pot pie? basically just gravy, tofurkey (without the stuffing) and pie crust. I feel like wouldn't be too awful, and just take it slow. And of course mashed potatoes are always good. maybe just make yourself a few small servings of food and eat them slowly over the course of the evening.

and of course, zantac or pepcid twice a day. whichever one helps you the most.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:59 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

We aren't making anything crazy complicated (mashed potatoes, sauteed green beans, stuff like that), and we have a gardein roast. I read somewhere that low-fat can help heartburn but I was wondering if that was woo bullshiitake before I made a low-fat gravy or anything.

I was actually feeling better today and then forgot what I was doing and ate an Amy's enchilada meal for lunch. Oh god. I got some papaya tablets and they did help a little. I have pepcid but I swear it's not doing anything.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:42 am 
Ninja Master

I think it's different triggers for everyone. But greasy food can definitely bring on heartburn or make it worse, so lower fat could help.

Zantac is pretty much the only thing that stops mine now. I find I get it if I eat crappy food for a couple of days and pretty much every time I drink wine!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:36 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

I get breathing problems from silent gerd, and my breathing probs pretty much completely cleared up when I did Eat To Live, so I think that low-fat does help but it might only be a long-term help?

But yeah it probably depends on your own triggers.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:41 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Acid reflux sucks. First time I had it I thought I was dying. Now every time I even look at something spicy or bbq I get it. Which sucks, because I love bbq flavoured anything.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:39 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

please halp me acid reflux sufferers! tell me your secrets!
i have THE WORST pregnancy-induced acid reflux.
ive never experienced this before and i basically feel like im going to projectile vomit at all times.
no matter what i eat i get this feeling in my throat like i want to puke. everything leaves a shitty taste in my mouth.

my OB told me prilosec was ok so ive been taking that for like a month. it worked really well for me for awhile.
then the week of thanksgiving was just beyond insanely stressful and we traveled and then the following week i was super sick with flu/bad head cold and have been coughing really violently ever since.
now that my cold is getting better my acid reflux is back worse than before.
does anyone think the insane amount of violent coughing i did disturbed the balance of everything? i literally cant eat ANYTHING and i also cant sleep. i was up several times last time and couldnt fall asleep because i felt like i was going to puke. in the end i was able to prop my head up enough to fall asleep but doing that gives me a wicked crick in my neck.

i bought some of the gaviscon chewy pills (holy crepe those taste awful) and they help some but they dont like cure it. i usually do 2 when i feel really ill. should i do the full 4 like they say? that's a lot of grossness to swallow.

i called my dr today and they told me to stop the prilosec and start doing zantac 150 mg 2x a day. im really hoping that works better. the whole being pregnant and not eating or sleeping doesnt jive well together. :-/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:17 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Bumping!

Been horribly bloated almost non-stop for the last month, and now acid reflux has come on with a vengeance. I've never had it this bad and this often (almost daily). Going to the doctor on Wednesday thankfully. Zantac seems to help a little but I'm miserable. Any suggestions?

"I can't help but feel bad for the Tofurky for having a beer can shoved up it's soy hole." --nickvicious

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:28 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Hot water bottle.

I was in the worst pain of my life last week. Triggered by drinking too much water forma drug test, extreme nausea and empty stomach after my epidural. I was screaming and in tears. Even the codeine didn't help. That was 9/10 level pain.

It's been awful for me ever since. My next endoscope isn't until the 1st.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:21 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

have any of you done the thing with the barium and the x-ray table that tips your head below your feet? ugh. as if drinking the barium wasn't torture enough, they go and make your valve fail. (i had this done because i had proctitis. not fun.) i'm really bad at going to the doctor/followups, so i haven't been told what exactly i have, but i usually feel okay. every once in a while i get this feeling that there's a ligament over my sternum that's caught on a rib, but i suppose it could be from this. (but i could have sworn a few times that's happened, i was able to clasp my hands behind my back and pop it out of place.)

sometimes i get the bubbly acidy burps, and i find tums to usually be pretty effective if i'm feeling extra acidy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:44 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

No, not that. Just the scopes. I've got a bleeding ulcer at my stomach surgery site. It all seems related, since I only get the symptoms all at the same time.

I was bad at followups too--this latest scope was due in October, but I was dealing with other health issues. I'm bad at focusing on more than one at a time.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:04 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Doctor put me on two weeks of Prilosec to see if that helps, along with no coffee/alcohol/trigger foods/chocolate/peppermint/etc.

Does anyone know if it's the caffeine in coffee that I should avoid, or something else? Is green tea okay?

"I can't help but feel bad for the Tofurky for having a beer can shoved up it's soy hole." --nickvicious

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:37 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Steph, I always assumed it was just that coffee is very acidic, and that the high amount of caffeine in it just makes it worse. When my heartburn is acting up I stick to tea or hot water and it is usually just fine, even comforting. Green tea is much milder than coffee for me even though it has some caffeine.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:07 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Coffee doesn't bother me unless I'm on the verge of or in pain. If I'm on the verge, decaf is usually ok. But why push it?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:45 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Does this sound like reflux? WebMD isn't comforting me any.
PPK, it feels like my throat is on FIRE. I felt something hot come up my throat and I thought I was going to throw up. I didn't, but now my throat is burning. I've had milder reflux before, but it has never felt like this. Usually with reflux, I feel the heartburn or indigestion, but not today. Just my throat burning.
I just gargled with a whole cup of salt water and it did help a little. Thank goodness.