| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day! Celine and Tami's new boo
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:45 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

creep wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
I've still only made the bread. I make that green monster bread all the time because it's amazing. I do it in the bread machine now so it's even easier to make.

When I flip through, everything seems time consuming. Can anybody recommend a cheap recipe that can be made in under 30?

chickpea shawarma!

yep. So good and easy.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:52 pm 
Nailed to the V

The green monster bread is, indeed, amazing. However, I made the moo-free seitan and had some issues. Normally I steam or bake my seitan, but this time I followed the slow cooker instructions in the book and cooked the seitan for the prescribed 8 hours. Then, i let it cool completely in the broth, as instructed. What I ended up with was a brainy-looking, spongy, totally fall-apart mushy seitan that didn't taste like anything, really. I resurrected it by turning into Vegan Crunk's Seitan Wangz, which helped a lot. But did I do something wrong? The slow cooker was on low, but was it boiling too fast/high? I'm stumped, and now I'm scared to ever boil my seitan again.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:14 pm 
Nailed to the V

beethecookie, I'm so sorry the seitan didn't turn out for you. I think you are right the the slow cooker must have actually run hotter. Hurray for you for resurrecting it, but it sucks that it gave you problems. You can always try it in the oven as cutlets at 300 degrees if you are up for trying again!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:39 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

lavawitch wrote:
I've still only made the bread. I make that green monster bread all the time because it's amazing. I do it in the bread machine now so it's even easier to make.

When I flip through, everything seems time consuming. Can anybody recommend a cheap recipe that can be made in under 30?

what comes to my mind first are......

retro KFC sandwich.
i went out and bought the ume plum vinegar, it was maybe $3-$4, but then later when i was flipping through the front of the book she mentioned (double check me for sure) that you could sub red wine vinegar for the ume plum vinegar.

the deviled (not) egg salad sandwich (i used canned chickpeas)

i adore this cookbook and have a long list of recipes i want to make, i've also made a few others, incredibly tasty, but sadly the names of the recipes escape me.......

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:50 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Those all sound good. I have some ume plum vinegar. I assume vinegar doesn't go bad? I've had it for eons.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:37 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

bookwormbethie wrote:

the deviled (not) egg salad sandwich (i used canned chickpeas)

i adore this cookbook and have a long list of recipes i want to make, i've also made a few others, incredibly tasty, but sadly the names of the recipes escape me.......

I second the deviled (not) egg salad. It's very quick and really good. My other favorite is the portobello po'boys. But they take longer.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:13 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

lavawitch wrote:
Those all sound good. I have some ume plum vinegar. I assume vinegar doesn't go bad? I've had it for eons.

i have not fully read this long discussion on chowhoud, but a quick google search does indicate that vinegar can go bad.....
my ume plum vinegar is from eden foods and from what i understand it is not pasteurized so it can go bad. i'm pretty sure we stuck our bottle in the fridge and i dated it so we can keep an eye on it......

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/382453

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:03 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

lavawitch wrote:

I agree with others in recommending the Chickpea Shawarma. It's fairly quick, and very tasty too. A bunch of the recipes are denoted with a clock icon, indicating they might be more suitable if you are pressed for time.

I'll admit I'm intimidated by a lot of the recipes, and that's based solely on the length of the ingredients list. And I really need to be in the mood to deal with recipes that require me to make other recipes first. Like the KFC sandwiches. You have to make the No Cluck Cutlets first. When you add up those 2 recipes, it really does take awhile, but the payoff is you get 8 sandwiches.

I really like the Beet and Barley Burgers. Between all the prep and clean-up it is a little under an hour. BUT, I get 8 burgers out of it and they can be frozen. I can knock out a week's worth of lunches at once.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:15 pm 
Nailed to the V

Tamasin wrote:
beethecookie, I'm so sorry the seitan didn't turn out for you. I think you are right the the slow cooker must have actually run hotter. Hurray for you for resurrecting it, but it sucks that it gave you problems. You can always try it in the oven as cutlets at 300 degrees if you are up for trying again!

Thanks, Tamasin! I will be trying again, so I will just bake as cutlets in the future.

I forgot to mention in my last past that I also made the Mushroom Tomato Slices last week, and loved them! We ate one loaf, and then the other is in my freezer, awaiting future sandwich glory!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:17 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Mojo wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

I agree with others in recommending the Chickpea Shawarma. It's fairly quick, and very tasty too. A bunch of the recipes are denoted with a clock icon, indicating they might be more suitable if you are pressed for time.

I'll admit I'm intimidated by a lot of the recipes, and that's based solely on the length of the ingredients list. And I really need to be in the mood to deal with recipes that require me to make other recipes first. Like the KFC sandwiches. You have to make the No Cluck Cutlets first. When you add up those 2 recipes, it really does take awhile, but the payoff is you get 8 sandwiches.

I really like the Beet and Barley Burgers. Between all the prep and clean-up it is a little under an hour. BUT, I get 8 burgers out of it and they can be frozen. I can knock out a week's worth of lunches at once.

Yes, this sounds like me. The length of the ingredient lists is getting me. Ditto with the burger book. I've sadly underused both of these. I'll take a more practical look through them this week.

Appreciate the suggestions.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:09 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I made the party monster to eat during the superbowl. I went lazy and used tofurkey hickory turkey and some vegan pepperoni. I added black olives because everybody in my family loves them. It was really great and a great presentation. Why do I never take pics??

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:46 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Mojo wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

I used extra firm tofu for the KFC sandwiches (as a sub suggestion in the recipe) and it was freakin' fantastic.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:10 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

LW, you might try the triangle tempeh apple dipper thingies, as long as you remember to defrost your puff pastry they're pretty fast!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:44 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'd also like to add that yes the ingredient lists are a bit long, but perhaps if you a whole foods, earth fare, or other natural foods store in your area, you could buy some spices in bulk. i ♥ my earthfare for their bulk spices. i've bought like 1 cinnamon stick for 10 cents and small amounts of other things for incredibly cheap prices. the great thing is is that the bulk spices actually smell better than the fancy jarred stuff i buy at the grocery store.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:10 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Oh, I know. Only one WF around sells bulk spices, and I was lucky enough to get a bag of Spanish oregano when I was in the area. For weeks after, I couldn't resist sniffing the oregano everytime I walked past the pantry. So lovely. Wish I could get more!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:21 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just made half bagels and half rolls of a recipe of Green Monster Bread. Holy shiitake, so good. The recipe was remarkably easy to make, even by hand - I mean, I made it on a weeknight after work. It smelled so good baking that I only managed to wait about 5 minutes before I sliced open one of the rolls and ate it plain. I freaking love this stuff. I wish I'd made it sooner. I'm gonna make it as a loaf this weekend and use it for Mike's lunches.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:04 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

That Green Monster Bread is probably the best bread I've ever made/eaten!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:56 pm 
Nailed to the V

The Green Monster is pretty much up there among my faves of all time, but we made the Cinnamon Swirl Bread yesterday and my son claimed that it was the best cinnamon bread ever. It's really good, although the cinnamon filling was a bit different than what I am used to. It was almost stringy, like gum? Good though!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:49 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

green monster bread is so on my to-do list. just curious, i have glass pryex loaf pans. would this bread, since it's yeasty, be better off baked in a metal type loaf pan?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:08 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Wow, a lot of raves for the green monster bread. I'm going to try that next.

I have another picture. This is the Beet-n-Barley Burger. I love this recipe.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:02 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I think I will make the cabana cheese sandwiches today. I've never had cottage cheese, but the recipe sounds yummy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:24 pm 
Nailed to the V

bookwormbethie wrote:
green monster bread is so on my to-do list. just curious, i have glass pryex loaf pans. would this bread, since it's yeasty, be better off baked in a metal type loaf pan?

I made my green monster into large round rolls, so I can't attest to metal vs. glass with this particular recipe. However, in my experience, yeast has always done well in glass pans so I think you'd be fine.

But definitely make it soon! It's life changing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:53 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

This seems like a good weekend to dive into this book further with various things...Those of you who made the Green monster bread by hand, how was it? very sticky? I think I'm gonna attempt it anyway. And the boiling method is necessary for rolls, yes? Because I find rolls more sandwich-friendly than homemade loaves, probably because I suck at slicing bread, so that'll probably be my preference. How many "large round rolls" would you say it makes?

also, I've made just the dressing and chickpea mixture for the Nicoise salad several times already...I love that as just a tuno sandwich and I think we may do the tempeh unfishwiches this weekend which incorporates that dressing because it's soooo yummy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:27 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

yes i'm pretty sure the boiling method is necessary for the bagels, i read that online somewhere, same with pretzels, otherwise you just end up with a fancy breadstick that is not at all chewy pretzel-like

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:25 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

ahh I glanced at the recipe this morning and it seemed like they were saying to use the boil method for both bagels and rolls. And I'd never heard of rolls being boiled; I probably read it wrong.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next