| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day! Celine and Tami's new boo
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:46 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

you could probably boil the rolls for a pretzel-type roll.

i've made a bunch of sandwiches since i got this for christmas. i have a leftover carnitas sandwich in the fridge right now, which is delicious. i also made the navajo tacos, chazwich, and the torta de tofu. for the recipes that call for a tofu spread, i just add the spices to vegenaise. i tried the tofu spread on the chazwich and thought it was meh, and i'm also lazy. i love this book mostly for the ideas and not necessarily the exact recipes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:30 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Audrey wrote:
This seems like a good weekend to dive into this book further with various things...Those of you who made the Green monster bread by hand, how was it? very sticky? I think I'm gonna attempt it anyway. And the boiling method is necessary for rolls, yes? Because I find rolls more sandwich-friendly than homemade loaves, probably because I suck at slicing bread, so that'll probably be my preference. How many "large round rolls" would you say it makes?

also, I've made just the dressing and chickpea mixture for the Nicoise salad several times already...I love that as just a tuno sandwich and I think we may do the tempeh unfishwiches this weekend which incorporates that dressing because it's soooo yummy.

I made it by hand and don't remember it being sticky.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:37 pm 
Nailed to the V

If you look at the green monster recipe in the book, it refers you to page 20 for instructions on how to make the bread into either rolls or bagels. On page 20, you're told to shape each roll/bagel, then do the boil method for either. So that's what I did for rolls, and it worked out beautifully. Nice, chewy crust on them. It made 8 large sandwich rolls, and the dough was great to work with, not sticky.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:39 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the Green Monster Bread by hand. It was sticky at first but I added more flour, though that's probably down to my environment (bread and seitan always require more dry ingredients here). I don't know if the boiling method is necessary for rolls, but they won't come out with the chewy, shiny crust without being boiled.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:09 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Audrey wrote:
This seems like a good weekend to dive into this book further with various things...Those of you who made the Green monster bread by hand, how was it? very sticky? I think I'm gonna attempt it anyway. And the boiling method is necessary for rolls, yes? Because I find rolls more sandwich-friendly than homemade loaves, probably because I suck at slicing bread, so that'll probably be my preference. How many "large round rolls" would you say it makes?

also, I've made just the dressing and chickpea mixture for the Nicoise salad several times already...I love that as just a tuno sandwich and I think we may do the tempeh unfishwiches this weekend which incorporates that dressing because it's soooo yummy.

The dough is moderately sticky but I didn't need to add extra flour. I've made it with spinach, arugula, and a combination. It's a pretty easy bread to make. I've done it in the bread machine and using the kitchen aid/oven. It has come out perfect every single time. I need to try making rolls from it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:12 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

creep wrote:
creep wrote:
I'm making this Russian reuben thing and just realized I don't have any horseradish. It calls for 1 tbsp + 1 tsp. Anyone think it would be too weird to replace with wasabi? Or whole grain mustard? HALP.

Wellllllllll, I used the whole grain mustard and it was awesome. BUT, the "spread" turned out super liquidy. Like, I had to add double the amount of sour cream it called for, and it was still so runny that I ended up adding a bunch of vegan mayo. It still wasn't spreadable, but it was thick enough to pour onto the sandwich without making a mess. Any testers have this issue? I can't imagine the mustard sub for horseradish would make such a huge difference.

The sandwich was still killer, even with that little problem.

Just a heads up, we made this thing again without any substitutions, and the spread is still pretty liquidy. I'd recommend just leaving the pickle juice out, since it has chopped pickles in it anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:47 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

just to report back: that bread is awesome! I used my food processor to mix and knead the dough at first and then kneaded by hand a while too. It was not sticky and really a nice dough to work with. After the rise I had no trouble making 7 big rolls and 3 smaller (like slider size, for my kid's sandwiches), did the boiling bit and yep, that definitely made all the difference with the texture after baking. I highly highly recommend this recipe and can't wait to make it again in loaf-form too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:17 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made it in loaf form yesterday. I shaped it wrong/it didn't fit properly into my pan, so it ended up looking really jacked up. But it still tastes good!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:08 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I made the curried lentil wraps today and they were so awesome! I used a 250 g tetra pack of coconut cream and skipped the water in the sauce. Also added in a tablespoon of cornstarch mixed with water into the lentil mixture to help it thicken up. My favorite recipe from this book so far!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:53 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

made the deviled not-egg salad sandwich filling earlier since we had leftovers for dinner. i am so looking forward to a fancy lunch sandwich tomorrow! i've made the recipe before, it is so super quick to put together. i use chickpeas, but i'd be interested in trying it with tofu.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:12 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Yesterday, I made the no-cluck cutlets - tasty though mine came out a little bready (maybe not enough kneading? This was my first time making non-sausage seitan at home). Looking forward to trying the kfc style sandwiches, I just pan fried and served with mayo/mustard/chopped pickles/smokey maple kale on toast.

I also made the banana pound cake from the bananas foster sandwich recipe and it's great. It's basically the nicest banana bread ever (I used whole wheat pastry flour, so an all white flour version would probably be a bit more delicate).

One thing that I find a little weird about the book is the yields - they're all over the place - some recipes make 3 sandwiches, some 6, the cake recipe made two mini loaves with no suggested changes for people who only own a big loaf pan (luckily, I'm well stocked with mini loaf pans).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:57 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I made the pav bhaji again this evening. It's pretty quick and uses lots of vegetables. As long as you have some potato and cauliflower I'd say you could throw in whatever veg you need using. Today I used courgette instead of peas. It freezes very well too, probably even better than made fresh, so you get a couple of dinners out of it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:19 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

The green monster bread is rising right now! Such a pretty dough!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:22 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Aaaaand it's delicious! Perfect for breakfast thickly spread with cashew ricotta.

Next time I'll up the spinach though, to make it greener. And maybe add some sunflower seeds, for crunch.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:44 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I made a double batch of the no cluck cutlets today. I dipped a couple in a bit of almond milk and cornstarch and then in panko and pan-fried them in a little oil for tonight's dinner. They were great. I think I'll freeze the rest, maybe hold out a couple for sandwich shenanigans later this week.

This is the 2nd oven-simmered seitan recipe I've tried and I can't see bothering with the stovetop anymore. I like not having to babysit the pot. I will still bake and steam in foil though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:05 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I plan on making the welsh rarebit (page 48) on saturday. I do not have the 1 TBS of tahini the recipe calls for. Although the taste will be different if I sub something else, I'm wondering if I could sub 1 TBS of sunflower seed butter or 1 TBS of hummus? I do have some sesame seeds in a small baggie, I have sesame oil too. Any ideas?? (I'm allergic to peanuts and nuts)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:03 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

bookwormbethie wrote:
I plan on making the welsh rarebit (page 48) on saturday. I do not have the 1 TBS of tahini the recipe calls for. Although the taste will be different if I sub something else, I'm wondering if I could sub 1 TBS of sunflower seed butter or 1 TBS of hummus? I do have some sesame seeds in a small baggie, I have sesame oil too. Any ideas?? (I'm allergic to peanuts and nuts)

If you have a small blender you could blend the sesame seeds and make your own tahini?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:09 am 
Nailed to the V

Chiming in here to say that sunflower seed butter should be fine. But Tigerpants not only has an awesome name, but a cool idea, too. I bet it would work well.

Also, sorry to those of you who are getting bready cutlets. It's more likely to be not rolling them thinly enough rather than a kneading issue. I hope you'll give them another try!

Always great to see feedback for our book here. <3 the PPK!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:17 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

tigerpants wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:

If you have a small blender you could blend the sesame seeds and make your own tahini?

i have a tiny and large food processor. sometimes cleaning them up is a pain ;) maybe i could be old school and use a mortar and pestle?!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:19 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Tamasin wrote:
Chiming in here to say that sunflower seed butter should be fine. But Tigerpants not only has an awesome name, but a cool idea, too. I bet it would work well.

Also, sorry to those of you who are getting bready cutlets. It's more likely to be not rolling them thinly enough rather than a kneading issue. I hope you'll give them another try!

Always great to see feedback for our book here. <3 the PPK!

eep, tami! thanks for the reply! i'll either use SFSB or maybe try making tahini with my seasame seeds. i have a very small baggie of them, so i'm not sure if it will be enough.....

i ♥ VSSTD.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:22 am 
Nailed to the V

Thanks, bookwormbethie!

Hey, if we ever don't answer a question here, it's because we just didn't see it. Feel free to email either one of us any time!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:58 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Anek wrote:
The green monster bread is rising right now! Such a pretty dough!

I just made it with the bagel instructions on page 20 and it is REALLY good. It's making the kitchen smell like fresh pretzels. I'm very happy. I've never made bagels before.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:26 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Tamasin wrote:

Thanks! I rolled out the cutlets until they were each about 5x7 inches across, and less than 1/4 inch thick (they snapped back to be about 1/4 inch thick once they got into the broth). Should I roll much thinner to account for the fact that they contract once you stop rolling?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:44 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

the welsh rarebit on page 48 is soooo awesome! subbed sunflower seed butter for the tahini. my omni hubby loved it!
recipe is perfect as is, would not tweak seasonings or anything!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:15 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Ha,I'm taking credit for that. Well, not the recipe, but it originally had some French name, with Celine being Swiss and speaking French and whatever. But when we had it we both agreed it was Welsh rarebit. And I spend loads of my childhood in Wales (irrelevant) and growing up eating Welsh rarebit. So I know it and know how good it is.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next