| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Betty Goes Vegan
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:07 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Yeah, that's what I have. I have eaten shrimp that wasn't the baby kind in a salad exactly once in my whole life, so I thought i'd try it in something that's traditionally shrimpy.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:24 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

ijustdiedinside wrote:
bekki wrote:
Dammit, I think I need to quit reading threads about cookbooks I don't even want. But a whole section on Betty-style casseroles? Seriously? I can even justify it by knowing that I can use "real food" thanks to Cookin' Crunk's cream of mushroom and celery soups and Artisan Vegan Cheese's cream cheese and sour cream.

What's "for the lobsters" mean?

maybe it's referring to Julie and Julia (book and movie) where she cooks through all of Julia Child's book and there's a pretty gruesome lobster killing scene. blech.

Yeah, that's it. She goes into the lobster thing in the intro. But I knew as soon as I saw the dedication what she meant.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:29 am 
WRETCHED

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Yeah, that's what I have. I have eaten shrimp that wasn't the baby kind in a salad exactly once in my whole life, so I thought i'd try it in something that's traditionally shrimpy.

Go big, do deep fried shrimp, southern style.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:43 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I haven't made anything from the book (although I have made a few things from the blog) yet, so this is just an initial impression: I have to cook soy-free and very inexpensively these days, so I'm not flagging recipes with any fake cheese/cream cheese/sour cream, and am only flagging the meat ones I feel like I can easily replace with homemade seitan; although I'm only up to page 161 I feel like I've still found enough recipes I'm excited about trying to make the book worth the purchase price.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:16 pm 
Nailed to the V

elizabee - this will make me feel excited.
it's not so much that i think i could swap out etc. it's more of..

well..

i'm lazy. LOL
and i just don't want to do SO MUCH with a book like that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:53 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ijustdiedinside wrote:

maybe it's referring to Julie and Julia (book and movie) where she cooks through all of Julia Child's book and there's a pretty gruesome lobster killing scene. blech.

Ah. Thanks. I haven't seen the movie or read the book, so that's probably why. But lobsters always make me sad in the store, so there is that.

elizabee wrote:
I haven't made anything from the book (although I have made a few things from the blog) yet, so this is just an initial impression: I have to cook soy-free and very inexpensively these days, so I'm not flagging recipes with any fake cheese/cream cheese/sour cream, and am only flagging the meat ones I feel like I can easily replace with homemade seitan; although I'm only up to page 161 I feel like I've still found enough recipes I'm excited about trying to make the book worth the purchase price.

And that is good to know. Or not good to know, since I kinda wanted to buy it anyway, and I'm cool with subbing out seitan when appropriate, so long as I'm not having to go nuts buying cases of gardein or something. Although, from time to time the husband hits pay dirt at work and gets a freezer full of the stuff for less than a buck. We're working through about 20 frozen Amy's mac and cheese he got for .55 a piece. And I have enough Boca burgers to last the rest of the year. So it could be handy for excesses like that (bocas, not mac'n'cheese. I can handle an excess of mac all on my own.) Anyway, I need to stay out of cookbook posts. I barely even cook any more.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:16 pm 

So I'm eating crow. (Does Match make that yet?). I tried the fried egg and really like it. I still don't think I'll be making it in the morning any time soon, but I think I could make it on the weekend and reheat for weekday breakfasts.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:29 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Was it fussy to make?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:37 pm 

Not super fussy. I'm not sure I'll bother to inject the cheesy sauce next time. I'll just pour it over. It's slightly fussy to make 4 cups of cheesy sauce when you're using less than half a cup. But I bet the sauce can be scaled down in the future.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:27 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I want to know what's so fussy about this egg thing!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:31 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

You use a baster/flavor injector thingy to put a cheeze sauce in the middle before you fry the tofu square. It doesn't sound super hard, but Im pretty lazy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:49 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Oh, interesting. That sounds cool, but not super necessary. I want to check this book out next time I'm at a bookstore.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:55 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

I want to make the eggs for my moco loco plates!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:07 pm 
Saggy Butt

I saw the fried egg recipe in the preview at amazon, and it convinced me that I need this book I was totally going to pass on.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:37 pm 
Tofu Pup

I just made the chicken tetrazzini and it was pretty amazing. It wasn't too hard either. Im looking for recipe to try for breakfast.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:31 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Oh, interesting. That sounds cool, but not super necessary. I want to check this book out next time I'm at a bookstore.

I did this last night and wound up not getting it. I love the concept, and I love that this book exists because I think it can serve a lot of people out there very well, but it just isn't for me. I am excited to hear about others' successes, though!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:14 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

My copy will be here today because I have no willpower and was really curious about it. I don't think the fake meat and cheese thing will be a big deal for me as I normally make my own seitan and cheese anyway. The egg doesn't appeal to me at all but quite a few other things did like Cheezy Jalapeno Pretzel Bites, Curried Coconut Cashew Spread, and Tiramisu Whoopie Pies. Curious to hear what others end up making from it as well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:53 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I have not made anything but was inspired by the book to pick up a box of Bisquick to make drop biscuits the other day! I want to make the hamburger pie thing and maybe shell out for a shipped box of those drumsticks to try some of those!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:59 pm 
Saggy Butt

missmuffcake wrote:
I want to make the eggs for my moco loco plates!

"Crazy mucous" plates?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

lavawitch wrote:
You use a baster/flavor injector thingy to put a cheeze sauce in the middle before you fry the tofu square. It doesn't sound super hard, but Im pretty lazy.

bianca from the cookin' crunk blog actually posted about this a few days ago.....

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:49 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Miss Jayme Kat wrote:
"Crazy mucous" plates?

ha! no a Hawaiian carb thing!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:31 pm 
Saggy Butt

missmuffcake wrote:
Miss Jayme Kat wrote:
"Crazy mucous" plates?

ha! no a Hawaiian carb thing!

Whew! Am relieved. I didn't think mucous was vegan, anyway!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:05 am 
Saggy Butt

I made the Ultimate Corn Chowder and the Salted Caramel Apple Whoopie Pies this weekend. The chowder is yummy, perfect on a cold day. And the whoopie pies are just ridiculous. I put most of them in the freezer but they probably won't stay there long! I probably will reduce the salt next time, but I usually do.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:00 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I actually met the authors, the Shannons, at a book signing in Brooklyn. They were great--super down to earth.

Like other posters, I was initially pretty turned off by the books' reliance on meat-analogues. I'm only a fledgling vegan myself, but I have to confess that I was thinking to myself that the authors would have a hard time making it as vegans if they were so reliant on fake meat being the center of their diet.

It turns out, I was waaay off base. The authors have both been vegan for decades, the wife having started when she was in junior high school. It sounded like she's never even eaten the "real" versions of a lot of the types of dishes their book is imitating, and that they don't typically eat like the book all the time. From the way they explained it, it seems their intended audience is less people who are already living a plant-based lifestyle, but more-so would-be vegans who have been hesitant to adopt the diet out of fear that it would be too difficult and that they'd have to give up the foods they love and replace them with hard-to-find and/or made from scratch "weird" health foods. I ended up buying the book because, while the recipes didn't appeal all that much to me, they seemed like a great way to get my Midwestern, meat-and-potatoes husband and my chicken-dependent parents on board with a plant-based lifestyle.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:08 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

akasha wrote:
I made the Ultimate Corn Chowder and the Salted Caramel Apple Whoopie Pies this weekend. The chowder is yummy, perfect on a cold day. And the whoopie pies are just ridiculous. I put most of them in the freezer but they probably won't stay there long! I probably will reduce the salt next time, but I usually do.

Aw shiitake, those sound good.

My thing with the mock meats/cheeses isn't even so much about what I can get, and it's certainly not because I don't eat those things. The specific use of Match Meats, which a lot of people can't get (they're St. Louis based and my health food store still only carries one of their products) is kind of bothersome. But if the recipes are creative, and it sounds like they are, it's NBD and I can work around it. Is there a basic seitan/cheese sauce recipe in there for people to use in place of the mock items if they can't get them?

HOWEVER this book is already getting slammed on Amazon, which I figured because the people who review cookbooks on amazon want every book to be sugar/soy/gluten/oil/nut free and you have to be able to get everything you need from the Walmart in a midwestern town with a population of 5,000. I think there's room for books that use the pre-made products available to vegans. Like I said, I bought the Sophie's shrimp and I have no clue what a good shrimp recipe is.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next