| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Talk to me about different brands of menstrual cups
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:11 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

OK, so nowadays there are many brands of menstrual cups out there. I'm thinking of using one again, but I'm not sure which one to get.

Potential TMI backstory: In my early 20s I used a (size small) Diva Cup for like a year. It worked as it's supposed to and wasn't uncomfortable or anything. It did seem to have really strong suction, but it's the only type I've tried so maybe that's normal? Eventually the cup developed this really bad odor, one that I couldn't get rid of despite trying to clean it a number of different ways, so I chucked it and have been using pads/tampons since. I want to go back to using the cup, but now I am close to 30 (no kids though) so I (a) am not sure if I should get a bigger size, (b) am wondering if there is a brand that is less suctiony than Diva, and (c) I am wondering if getting a bigger size cup will make me feel like I have to pee more often.

Anybody have experience trying more than one brand of cup?

Post subject: Re: Talk to me about different brands of menstrual cups
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:30 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm not sure a cup could have less suction and still work. Maybe they lose a little stiffness over time, from being folded and crammed north repeatedly...

If/when the cup smells, I soak it in a mix of water and hydrogen peroxide overnight. I've done this for about six years, and my cup is sparkly clean/non-stanky/hasn't degraded or fallen apart.

AS TO SIZE.... I bought the bigger size when I was a tight, childless, virgin, and it's always worked fine. Since the two sizes are only 1/8" apart, I figured I could save $40 by skipping straight to the post-childbirth size. Having a cup in doesn't increase my urge to pee.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:08 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I haven't tried more than one brand, only the Meluna. I bought a size too small first, and it would slip down and was very uncomfortable. So if yours is too small, you will know! As for suction, I always have to squish mine before I can take it out. Maybe that would be easier with a softer cup? Not very helpful, but I think you have to count on trying more than one, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:21 pm 
WELFARIST!

The diva cup swam too far up my vadge so I bought a Keeper. I used The Keeper for years which I could retrieve without trouble (due to the longer stem than Diva had) but then I got the first and only bladder infection of my life and I knew the cup was responsible so I discontinued cup use all together. There's leakage, for me, no matter what with any cup I used. My theory is that the cup softens in the body's heat, loses its suction and becomes too pliable over the course of a couple of days, especially when I'd just take it out to wash it out and reinsert it for three days in a row (the heaviest flow days). The cup wouldn't leak the first day but by the second or third day, leakage, no matter what.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:34 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

seitanicverses wrote:
My theory is that the cup softens in the body's heat, loses its suction and becomes too pliable over the course of a couple of days, especially when I'd just take it out to wash it out and reinsert it for three days in a row (the heaviest flow days). The cup wouldn't leak the first day but by the second or third day, leakage, no matter what.

That's interesting, because when I used the Diva I always had very minor leakage on the first day but never on the other days. I always thought the leakage was related to the position of the cervix, but I'm no expert on these matters. The same thing happens to me with tampons too so I just wear liners on the first day no matter what.

Regarding the Diva and suction, obviously it needs to have some suction to stay in, but sometimes I felt like it was giving my insides a hickey. It wasn't painful exactly, just weird. I never had trouble getting it out, you just kind of have to bear down on your pelvic muscles a bit and squeeze the thing to break the seal.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:10 pm 
WELFARIST!

Oh, man, I had such an episode retrieving my diva cup once. I still remember how panicked I felt vividly. I had to squat and push like I was having a baby, the whole shebang. Sweat was running down my face from the tension, I thought I was gonna have to go the ER and get some hapless resident to retrieve the damn thing for me. Luckily, I finally managed to purge that baby out after about fifteen minutes and having to stick as much of my hand as I could go grab hold of the damn slippery thing but after that experience, I knew that with the diva...never again!

The Keeper was more a keeper for me and I was able to use it for a few years without problem or incident (except for leaking I've described) and I liked using the cups and am actually quite disappointed that I can't use them anymore but after getting the bladder infection, and knowing that I was emptying it and washing it fastidiously several times a day and that I could do no more and still got one, I thought it prudent for me to discontinue use. But if they work for you, I think it's great to find the right one and use it.

The softening/loss of suction theory is just something I figured might be happening, but not sure what the real reason is but yeah, no problem with leakage the first (and heaviest days) but things got leaky and I had to use a pantiliner beyond around the 24 hour mark of usage (with regular emptyings and washings of the cup throughout that period).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:05 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

I had the same panic attack can't get it out experience with my keeper. Never even used it more than once with that, I couldn't get it in because I could not at all ever hold it closed long enough to get it in, keeping it folded with one hand and shoving it didn't work. except the one time when I was freaking.

I only leak on day 2, by super duper heavy day. I don't think the softening throughout a period would happen with the silicone since its boilable? But maybe with the rubber?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:40 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

watching with interest. i think it's time to get a cup for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:49 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I've been using my Diva cup for nearly 10 years now and it doesn't show any signs of degradation so I will keep at it until it does! Size small and I am now over 30 and had one child vaginally. I think it actually fits better now that I've had a kid. I've never experienced leakage. I've always tackled odor with a bit of hydrogen peroxide and water overnight, but honestly haven't done that more than a handful of times. I don't notice any off-putting odor as long as I wash it well with soap and water at the end of my period each time. I don't bear down to get the Diva out because that didn't work for me, I just reach up a finger and break the seal manually - you don't have to go too far in to do this. It also helps me control the removal so there's no spillage where I don't want spillage.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:25 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I use LadyCup and I'm really happy with it

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:53 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I think I lost my Diva Cup! I started my period this morning (surprise!) and couldn't find it so I've been using cloth pads. I bought a lady cup a few months ago and it just leaked constantly, I think maybe because I got the small one which it turns out is a lot smaller than the Diva Cup? I'm trying to decide between going to New Seasons and buying a new Diva Cup, using tampons this cycle and buying a different brand of cup online. I like the Diva Cup fine but I like the idea of trying a different one...I guess I should have looked at the Lady Cup exchange policy but I'm guessing it's too late now.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:10 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I'm so glad to hear I wasn't the only one who had problems with removing the divacup. It happened to me more than once, and then I just never used it again because I don't always have time to remove all my bottoms, squat on the floor and insert my whole hand in my vagina.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:32 pm 
Mediocre Tart

paprikapapaya wrote:
I don't always have time to remove all my bottoms, squat on the floor and insert my whole hand in my vagina.

So tempted to sig this in isolation... ;)

But seriously, I've had a similar problem. Rubbish!

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:58 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Kitteh wrote:
I use LadyCup and I'm really happy with it

I love that it comes in so many different colours!

I was wishing that there was a brand to brand size comparison somewhere so I made one.

Lady Cup

Smaller Size:
Diameter 40mm
Length 46mm
Stem 19mm
Volume 21.2ml

Larger Size:
D 46mm
L 53mm
S 13mm
V 34.3ml

Diva Cup

Smaller Size:
D 43mm
L 57mm
S 10mm
V 28.4

Larger Size
D 46mm
L 57mm
S 10mm
V 28.4

Mooncup (It's worth noting that Mooncup only measure the volume to the air holes not to the top of the cup like the other brands)

Smaller Size:
D 43mm
L 50mm
S 21mm
V 13mm

Larger Size:
D 46mm
L 50mm
S 21mm
V 15mm

It's interesting that all of the larger sized cups are the same diameter but the small Lady Cup is smaller than the other two brands. Their small size is also shorter than all of the other brands. I had a lot of trouble with my Mooncup & had to give up using it because it was just too big, if I wasn't going to be 30 in June I'd consider trying a Lady Cup. I'm waiting to see if my vagina magically expands at the stroke of midnight on my birthday!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:24 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Somebody made a graphic comparison several years back - it's out there in the interwebs somewhere.

ETA: Check this out: http://menstrualcups.wordpress.com/cate ... mparisons/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:40 pm 
Semen Strong

That is a great site! I love my mooncup because of the long stem.

I've had mine for about 7 years now, and it has saved me hundreds of dollars in tampons.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:55 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Thanks for that list jojo!

It is scientific fact that your vag magically expands on your 30th birthday. Or maybe it's your 25th, since some other brand I looked at (I forget which one) indicated that you should purchase the larger size at age 25.

I think I'm just going to have to pick one and hope it doesn't leak/isn't uncomfortable. Perhaps I'll give the Ladycup a whirl this time. I'll be sure to let you all know if it explodes or something!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:27 pm 
Dead by dawn

jojo wrote:
I'm waiting to see if my vagina magically expands at the stroke of midnight on my birthday!

And I'm tempted to sig this in isolation...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:31 pm 
Semen Strong

I thought mine would expand after pregnancy, but it didn't. Instead it was harder (almost to the point of being painful) to insert mine ... Bodies are weird.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:11 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

monkeytoes wrote:
jojo wrote:
I'm waiting to see if my vagina magically expands at the stroke of midnight on my birthday!

And I'm tempted to sig this in isolation...

Haha! Go for it!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:06 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Oh god, this thread is making me feel nauseous. Which I hate, since I'd like to go the reusable route. I've always found tampons uncomfortable, often to the point of painful. Talking about suction - I can't even handle thinking about it. Sounds like trying to remove a too dry tampon.

I hear such good things about the divacup.... But it's a price endeavour for something I doubt will be an option for me.

Is there a "talk to me about different brands of reusable pads" thread?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:41 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Moon, I was sort of weirded out too when I first started using the cup but I got used to the suctiony feelings. I wasn't sure how it was supposed to feel, but once it's the correct position you really don't notice it. Depends on why tampons are uncomfortable you... I have the too-dry feeling when using tampons, which is why I want to stop using them, but I never had that with the cup. Usually the thing would go in without problems, but if it was being a little resistant I would just wet the rim and it would slide in easily.

I don't know much about brands of cloth pads, but if you know how to sew you could even try making a few. I made some cloth pantiliners (not super-absorbent, just designed to catch drips in case my cup leaked) using a pattern I found on the internet (can't remember which website it was now, but if you google it I'm sure you'll find many results).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:14 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Cups are awesome because once they're in there's no chance of them being too dry because they don't absorb anything. I also hated that about tampons. And if the cup fits, you won't feel it while you're wearing it.

Glad rags seem to be the most popular reusable pads, but you can also search etsy for both pads and patterns for pads to sew your own.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:12 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I've only used the size small Diva with the stem cut almost all the way off. Going on probably 3-4 years with it. I don't notice any suction, but it never leaks. Comes out super easy and the only time I have trouble getting it in is the first insertion of my period. It's a tad discolored now, but no smell. I rinse it, I should probably do some more thorough cleaning sometime.

I haven't tried the others because this one worked. I never notice it and tampons feel terrible in comparison now. I tried sewing my own pads once, that was an uncomfortable failure (I hadn't used pads since I was 13 though... one leak in school traumatized me over to tampon+pantyliner).

It's interesting to see how different we are all in our cup needs!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:15 pm 
Semen Strong

Moon wrote:
I hear such good things about the divacup.... But it's a price endeavour for something I doubt will be an option for me.

I can get them here for $22. I only got mine because I figured that was the price of 4 boxes of tampax and it was worth the try.