| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 641 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Kitchen
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:23 pm 
ugh

The cheesy broccoli soup was nice, especially on a cold day in my pajamas. But I didn't do the bread bowl part and I regret it.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:53 pm 
Nailed to the V

masuphl wrote:
Shukriyya wrote:
I don't do deep-frying either, so I just dry-fried the tofu on the stove when I made the orange tofu. It was very good, but probably less crispy than the deep-fried version. I think baking it is a pretty good idea! Let us know how it turned out, masuphl.

Good to know - thanks. I am trying it tomorrow for lunch - will report back!

I prepped the tofu with the cornstarch mixture and sprayed w/nonstick spray. Baked at 450. Shuffled them around once.
I was cooking it for my mom, who loves the omni version. She really liked it!

It wasn't crispy, but it stayed firm. I was afraid it would get soggy in the orange juice mixture but it didn't.

There is no doubt it would taste better deep-fried, but I felt better about baking it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:14 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i made the jalapeno cornbread poppers tonight.
they were just ok. we made a half recipe since it was just the 2 of us and i added a full jalapeno rather than a quarter that a half recipe would have called for cause otherwise it would have just been corn fritters which is kind of what it ended up tasting like in the end anyways.

we didnt finish them in the end but they were alright.

if you like cornbread or corn fritters you might like them more than we did.

we were putting stuff away and my husband grabbed the cookbook and said "what book was this from......NO NOT CHLOE! she steered us wrong!" ahhahahahaha cause we've loved everything else from the book.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:02 am 
Naked Under Apron

So far I have made the Garlic Bread, which I really liked (Lee wasn't so keen on the nooch in it, but what does he know?) and the Chocolate Creme Brulee, which I really didn't like.

In defence of the recipe, I have never had creme brulee before so it may be that I not a fan and I don't have a sweet tooth either but I thought it was too rich and the flavour of the caramelised topping got lost in the flavour of the chocolate.

The chocolate creme itself was ok, but no better than the VWAV chocolate pudding.

Mat.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:33 am 
Nailed to the V

We made the Sea Salt Toffee Bars yesterday. They're delicious, but the brown sugar in the caramel layer didn't seem to melt all the way, so the caramel ended up being a little grainy. Still, grainy caramel is better than no caramel at all, so they were gobbled up!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:00 pm 
Nailed to the V

Banana Cupcakes... Heee yyummy. even if i messed it up!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:09 pm 
Nailed to the V

beethecookie wrote:
We made the Sea Salt Toffee Bars yesterday. They're delicious, but the brown sugar in the caramel layer didn't seem to melt all the way, so the caramel ended up being a little grainy. Still, grainy caramel is better than no caramel at all, so they were gobbled up!

Do you know what may have caused that? Any tips? I really want to make those.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:48 pm 
Nailed to the V

masuphl wrote:
beethecookie wrote:

Do you know what may have caused that? Any tips? I really want to make those.

My best guess at this point is that the caramel wasn't cooked long enough to fully dissolve all the sugar. Either that, or we measured wrong at some point and the ratio of butter and sugar was off. My sister did that step; I made the shortbread layer and melted the chocolate for the top layer. So I can't be positive about what went wrong. Like I said, it was still awesome, and only really noticeable when you eat the caramel by itself. It works better inside the layers.

On a way more successful note, we made the Chinese Takeout Noodles for dinner tonight! It was easy, scrumptious bliss.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:35 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

4 words....Rum Raisin Rice Pudding!!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:16 am 

I've ordered this and it should arrive early next week.... so many cookbooks, so little time!
But I'm nervous now because there are so many mixed reviews about the recipes on here.... but I suppose it's worth a try anyway. I just got all excited because of all the great amazon reviews. Is it worth the spend?

Please can you stop the noise, I'm trying to get some rest from all the unborn chicken voices in my head.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:28 am 
Nailed to the V

i think so.
I've yet to do a full cookthrough, but if you want a hit right off the bat:

DO make the double double burgers with special sauce. easy. fast. yum
DO make the banana cupcakes. :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:13 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I really think it's worth it, too. Here is what we have made and LOVED (we have made more than this, but not loved them all):
Avocado-Shiitake Sushi
Jalapeno Cornbread with Whipped Maple Butter
Wontons with Apricot-Mustard Sauce
Caesar Salad
Mandarin Peanut-Crunch Salad with Crispy Wontons
Wasabi Noodle Salad
Maple-Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Toasted Hazelnuts
Teriyaki Wok Vegetables
BBQ Pineapple Pizza
Double Double Drive-Thru Burgers
LA-Style Chimichurri Tacos
Moo Shu Vegetables with Homemade Chinese Pancakes
Avocado Pesto Pasta
Chinese Takeout Chow Mein
Drunken Noodles in Cashew-Shiitake Broth
Ooh-La-La Lasagna
Peanutty Perfection Noodles
Stuffed Shells with Arrabbiata Sauce
Barley Bliss Casserole
Carribean Vegetables with Coconut Rice and Plantains
Country Meatloaf and Golden Gravy
Herbed Polenta Cutlets with Marsala Mushroom Ragout
Mongolian BBQ Seitan
Orange You Glad I Made Crispy Tofu
Pancakes For Dinner
Southern Skillet Black-Eyed Peas
Baked Sprinkle Doughnuts
Sea Salt Toffee Bars

Good luck!!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:55 am 
Nailed to the V

I made the black bean mini burger things (can't remember the exact name) with pineapple salsa. The salsa I used was peach/mango though. SO good! I baked them and then pan fried them w/non-stick cooking spray. They reheated really well. Will be making these again for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:00 pm 
WELFARIST!

I definitely think this cookbook is worth it. I can think of only hits from it. If there are misses, there aren't many. I haven't tried everything but everything thus far has been good.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:18 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I don't like the donuts, but everything else I've made has been delicious, especially the spinach artichoke dip. I'm blanking on the rest. It's a nice book.

The donuts weren't bad or anything, but they tasted like donut shaped cupcakes--not what I was hoping for. I know baked donuts are fake donuts, but there are other recipes that do have a donut taste and feel. Drama aside, I'd go with Vegan Yum Yum for donuts. I'll be trying the Betty Goes Vegan do nuts too.

I'll try something for dinner tonight--maybe the blog see or the sweet and sour meatballs.

As a cookbook addict, I'll say that this book feels fresh and interesting, something that is increasingly hard to do these days.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:56 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've probably made 10ish things in this one, and the only thing I didn't like was the barley bliss casserole. Pretty sure something went wrong though, because it was really watery and the barley never soaked up the liquid.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

creep wrote:
I've probably made 10ish things in this one, and the only thing I didn't like was the barley bliss casserole. Pretty sure something went wrong though, because it was really watery and the barley never soaked up the liquid.

I have no idea what else is in this but I want it already. To me, barley=bliss.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:27 am 

I absolutely hate bananas, so I shan't be making those cupcakes, but apart from that, I'm very excited now. I will definitely try the burgers! :) My boyfriend and I have agreed to try at least one new recipe a week, to warrant all these cookbooks I'm collected (oops) and I'm pretty certain that the next few will come out of this one!
I'm really excited for the artichoke dip, I think they're my favourite vegetable ever. I'll be working my way through that huge list, bree, haha, it looks like I have work to do!

Please can you stop the noise, I'm trying to get some rest from all the unborn chicken voices in my head.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:49 pm 

lavawitch wrote:
I don't like the donuts, but everything else I've made has been delicious, especially the spinach artichoke dip. I'm blanking on the rest. It's a nice book.

The donuts weren't bad or anything, but they tasted like donut shaped cupcakes--not what I was hoping for. I know baked donuts are fake donuts, but there are other recipes that do have a donut taste and feel. Drama aside, I'd go with Vegan Yum Yum for donuts. I'll be trying the Betty Goes Vegan do nuts too.

Yeah I know what you mean re:doughnuts. Seems there's something missing. I'm not a nutmeg lover, so i subbed that out and added cinnamon instead. Better, but could do much better! I'm relunctant to try fried yeast doughnuts though, so I may just stick with cupcakes.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:57 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

If you want fried dough it's, the Vegetarian Times recipes are the best. Those jelly doughnuts...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:42 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I made the tarte tatin the other night. It was SO GOOD! I've never had it before, and it turns out that it's super easy to make. My coconut cream didn't separate properly though, so I couldn't make the cream. Still delicious on its own though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:16 pm 
WELFARIST!

bodhi wrote:
I made the tarte tatin the other night. It was SO GOOD! I've never had it before, and it turns out that it's super easy to make. My coconut cream didn't separate properly though, so I couldn't make the cream. Still delicious on its own though.

Ohhh. I had my eye on that but didn't make it. I think you've inspired me to make it soon!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:36 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I finally made something from this book. Granted it was only the chinese pancakes but they turned out great. They went brilliantly with coconut black eyed pea curry from VEW.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:37 pm 

I made the tarte tatin as well and it worked out really well. I didn't have an oven-proof skillet though so I had to make it in a tart pan. I've made the orange glazed tofu, which I really didn't enjoy, and the sour cream which turned out great. The pancakes for Dinner are possibly the best pancake recipe I've ever tried. I'm making the peanutty perfection noodles tonight, I have high hopes for those!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:57 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I looove the peanutty perfection noodles! It's especially good if you throw in some chopped spinach at the end (I usually heat the sauce and noodles together on the stove after combining them, so this gives the spinach a chance to wilt in). Yum!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 641 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 26  Next