| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Free-range kids and related stuff
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:45 pm 
Grandfathered In

There is a warning system. I think the article says the third infraction results in dispension suspension.

But it's more like the third "infraction" of a rule to protect nobody from anything.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:25 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Oh, well either way, discouraging a kid from imaginitive super hero play is dumb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:38 pm 
Semen Strong

Its really dumb, but within the very dumb "Absolutes" of the school. I just wonder how every kid ever hasn't fallen foul of these regulations. I assume the kid had done other stuff prior, bc under their rules a first violation would have had him be sent home for the day.

Quote:
ABSOLUTES for Mary Blair Elementary
To insure this Time to Teach Program, we have come up with some ABSOLUTES to make Mary Blair a safe environment.
The ABSOLUTES for Mary Blair Elementary:
1. No Physical Abuse or Fights – real or “play fighting”
2. No weapons (real or play), illegal drugs (including tobacco) or alcohol
3. No serious disrespect toward people or property (includes, but is not limited: profanity, racial slurs, deliberately refusing to follow a staff directive, graffiti, etc.)

ABSOLUTE Procedure:
• An ABSOLUTE must be witnessed by an adult
• A student will be placed in the Principal’s office or sent home for the rest of the day if he/she violates an ABSOLUTE. A student will be allowed two non-severe, non-suspension occurrences. The third occurrence will constitute a formal suspension, which could be up to five school days. A conference is always held with the teacher and the principal as to the severity of the consequence.
• Each time a student violates and ABSOLUTE, a “Parent Notification of Behavior Problem” form will be sent home with the child.
• Each time a student is suspended, a “Behavioral Plan” will be written with parents, principal, teacher and the student (when possible). This conforms to Thompson R2J School District policy and Colorado Discipline Code.
• Every ABSOLUTE that is broken following the first suspension will also be a suspension

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:39 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Ugh, that's where I live. D will be starting kindergarten in the fall, I guess I better look up our school's rules.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:05 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I don't live anywhere near there, but I feel like I should check up on our school, too. Felix starts in kindergarten in the Fall, and he would NOT last long under those rules. At least I already know there's a decent homeschool community in the area...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:03 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

The school district has made a statement that the boy was throwing rocks at children and received a two hour in-school suspension. Apparently the mom has a history of making up stories and contacting news outlets; in 2009 she claimed that their family dog work her up during a house fire that was later discovered to have been set by her.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:24 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks for posting that update! Sucks that people are so attention seeking.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:07 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

kimba wrote:
What?!?! I don't have too many good words for this. What was this lady thinking?!!?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:14 pm 
Grandfathered In

a proposed law in Maryland that would end "zero-tolerance" weapons policies in schools.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:18 pm 
Semen Strong

Finally, we will all be safe from gun-shaped breakfast pastries.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:25 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Is this too far? A mom in my parents' group was taking her kids to story time at the library, but when she got there, her 14 month old fell asleep, and since the 14 month old really needed that nap and 3 year old really needed some stimulation, she let her 3 year old go to story time by herself. It is a small library with only one entrance/exit, and mom sat in her car right outside the library in her car. This 3 year old is pretty self reliant for a 3 year old.

Anyway, I'm not sure how to feel about this. I love the ideas of free range parenting in general, but letting a 3 year old go somewhere on their own makes me a bit uncomfortable. So yeah, what do you guys think?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:13 pm 
Semen Strong

I would think that if she knew the teacher and/or other parents it would be fine for an independent and able kiddo.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:00 pm 

Good points-- this was at a library in a neighboring town 15 minutes away, so mom didn't think there would be anyone there that the kiddo (or mom) knew. They had been to the library enough that the kiddo at least wouldn't get lost though. I agree that if this was a story time that they attended regularly, so they knew the other kids/parents and/or the teacher, I don't think I'd see much wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:11 pm 
Grandfathered In

While I too am uncomfortable about that scenario, I have to ask, "What is the fear, exactly?" That someone's going to do something horrible to the kid? In the library? With all those people around? This is the crux of the free-range idea, I think: the things we fear are so god-awful that they can take over. A helicopter could crash into the library and explode—it's possible—but that's so far-fetched that we don't spend much time worrying about it or factoring it into our decisions. When it comes to some other awful fears, we're more likely to entertain them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:19 pm 
Semen Strong

That is a good point FF. I also get a bit leery of other adults substituting their judgement for that of the parents. If the mother is generally a responsible caregiver why not trust that she is making the beat decision for both her children and knows the children's abilities and the situation better than we do where she has the full context and we have just a snapshot of time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:51 pm 

Tofulish wrote:
That is a good point FF. I also get a bit leery of other adults substituting their judgement for that of the parents. If the mother is generally a responsible caregiver why not trust that she is making the beat decision for both her children and knows the children's abilities and the situation better than we do where she has the full context and we have just a snapshot of time.

Oh, I agree fully, Tofulish. This is a mom I highly respect and truly do think she's a fantastic parent (I have a bit of a mom-crush on her since she seems to be so awesome with kids). I'm personally curious about what people think because I have a three year old and 9.5 month old twins, and I do worry that my three year old ends up bored too often because I have to attend to the twins' needs all the time and I'm too afraid of letting the three year old do more things on her own.

Now, what's the worst that could happen in the story time scenerio? Personally, I'd be afraid that my kid would suddenly totally freak out about being by herself and not have the presence of mind to go outside and find me. That would obviously really depend on the kid though....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:12 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I think the kid is safe, but that it's unfair to the library staff. They don't know the kid and how well behaved she is. All they know is there's a young child unaccompanied at the library that they're now responsible for. Most libraries even have a rule about how old you have to be to be alone at the library. I think it's 8 at our library, and 13 to supervise younger siblings/friends.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:18 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I would be more afraid for the books than for Violet if that were us. But I would say that if she cleared it with the library staff and they were aware/ok with the situation, well…whatever.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:21 pm 

Our first experience with stranger danger stupidity. The booklet the hospital gave us with info on pregnancy and hospital birthing policies gives the advice that you shouldn't announce the baby's birth anywhere public (like a newspaper or a yard sign) because it increases the chance that someone will kidnap your infant.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:41 pm 
Semen Strong

That is just so odd.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:43 pm 
Semen Strong

That is just so odd.

Its more likely that your friends will make it into a weird meme.....
http://happyplace.someecards.com/29431/ ... e-new-meme

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:52 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

The latest dumbness I've seen is somebody saying you should put those little cartoon figures of your family on your minivan because they tell potential bad guys that you have parents who work out of the house and a kid who's not home after school (the example was a sticker of a kid in football gear, implying that he'd have practice after school) and you have a small dog who wouldn't be much of a guard dog. So, knowing your family wouldn't be home and your dog is small and dumb, they could BREAK INTO YOUR HOUSE AND BEAT UP THE WOMAN HOME ALONE!!!@#! or whatever.

There are plenty of reasons not to put cartoon stickers of your family on your minivan (taste, mostly), but CRIMINALS using them to CASE THE JOINT is pretty low on that list.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:15 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

seems like it would be a lot easier to just see where some kid lived and stake them out that way if you really wanted to kidnap someone rather than trolling parking lots for specific types of car stickers.

i better take my vegan stickers off my car cause potential kidnappers will know im all weak and decrepit from being a vegan :-P

thats weird about the newspaper thing. we didnt put anything in the paper cause we dont read the paper and it never occurred to me as a thing to do.
i was shocked at how much security there was at the hospital and how many times they went over the details with us.

after BP was born she had 5 bands on her. one for each limb and then an extra one that i called "baby lojack" that would set off an alarm system near the locked hospital door that you had to be buzzed into and out of.

i think the adults had to wear 2 bands and i automatically got them and then only i could decide who got the others. so for example if i didnt want my husband near the baby he wouldnt automatically get one just because he was the father.

one of the times my husband left the hospital to go get me food he was talking to some guy in the elevator on the way back. one of them noticed that the other one also had the little bracelet with the duckies on it and they were chatting about their wives just having had a baby and i think my husband said something like "you just had a baby too?" or something and the guy lifted up his arm to reveal like 6 bracelets. his wife had just had triplets i think. my husband was like "good luck with that"

:-O

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:22 pm 

LisaPunk wrote:
thats weird about the newspaper thing. we didnt put anything in the paper cause we dont read the paper and it never occurred to me as a thing to do.

I suspect the manual was written before newspapers died and social media ascended.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:33 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I thought this article in the Atlantic was really interesting, mostly because I loved that the neighborhood became fine with the idea of kids playing in a lot, building fires, and doing all sorts of "dangerous" things. I never realized that many kids to day are under constant supervision at all times and, in a way, it means that they never can take responsibility for themselves. Even in their neighborhood.

The Overprotected Kid
A preoccupation with safety has stripped childhood of independence, risk taking, and discovery—without making it safer. A new kind of playground points to a better solution.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next