| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: yoga, all varieties
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've just started power yoga at a studio that a friend teaches at, and I love it so much! I've just done basics classes so far, where they take you through stuff slowly and concentrate on getting your breathing right, but I'm going to do my first proper power vinyasa class this afternoon. Super excited! I'm already looking up studios in Darwin to drop in to when I have to travel up there for work this week.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:38 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

There is an AMAZING website that I just got turned onto called YogaGlo that offers a huge range of classes- styles, teachers, levels, durations, (including meditation and things designed to do as a break at work!!!!) for $15 a month! It is a godsend for days when I am too busy to make it to my studio for class and lets me chose things like "I want to work on my core" today when narrowing down what classes to stream. I highly recommend it to all PPK yogis and, no, no one is paying me, I'm just excited :)

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”
--Margaret Meade

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:55 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Thinking about doing a 30 day bikram challenge for April. (I've never done bikram). I'm going to go check out a class next week before I actually commit to this - but I thought I'd seek everyone's wise and experienced advice. Is this a bad idea for someone who hasn't done a lot of yoga, especially not at a "real" studio? I used to go to classes every once in a while at the gym, but it's been a while... What is the base level of fitness someone should have to undertake this with a prayer of being successful?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:18 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I went to a yoga class that was a little beyond my level yesterday, and man, am I feeling it. My legs are just . . . not interested in moving.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:21 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Nicole wrote:
Thinking about doing a 30 day bikram challenge for April. (I've never done bikram). I'm going to go check out a class next week before I actually commit to this - but I thought I'd seek everyone's wise and experienced advice. Is this a bad idea for someone who hasn't done a lot of yoga, especially not at a "real" studio? I used to go to classes every once in a while at the gym, but it's been a while... What is the base level of fitness someone should have to undertake this with a prayer of being successful?

I don't know anything about bikram, but I know that when you take classes at a studio, the students are usually at a variety of different levels. And the great thing about yoga is that you don't have to be at a certain level, because you can modify your poses with blocks and straps until you can do them properly.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:13 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

This is what I was thinking. I went to a vinyasa class yesterday after not having done much exercise for a month or two (ugh, winter), and while I couldn't do everything I could at least attempt most of it. After class my friend was saying that this one was much tougher than the vinyasa classes she's been to recently, so that made me feel a little better about the level of difficulty too. The heat felt good... and I know bikram is 15-20 degrees hotter than vinyasa, but I think I'll be able to take it.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:31 am 
Tofu Pup

semiautomatic wrote:
i've got bryan kest's power yoga dvd so i lay out my mat in my lair and do it. it's nice. i feel so sleeepy after (doesn't help that it's like 11 at night)

RAWR MUSCLES

Hi,

I feel happy when my student or anyone saying that mam we get up early and don't look tired whole day.

Prasanthi Studio is a family yoga and wellness center offering adult yoga, children & teen Yoga, Family Health and Yoga Counseling, Vegan Cooking and Nutrition and meditation. The space also offers workshops and trainings on a variety of topics.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:29 am 
Tofu Pup

Can you define properly who much distance you are searching.
But for now i have an address of yoga center that is :name Yoga union
located in Southeast Portland.

Prasanthi Studio is a family yoga and wellness center offering adult yoga, children & teen Yoga, Family Health and Yoga Counseling, Vegan Cooking and Nutrition and meditation. The space also offers workshops and trainings on a variety of topics.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:47 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Namaste, spambot.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:40 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

Yoga Journal is doing a 21-day yoga challenge starting June 10, if any PPK'ers are interested. I just signed up since my practice has been nonexistent lately.

If you sign up for the challenge, you get a daily video(~ 30 min), daily newsletter with recipes(all vegetarian) and helpful tips, and weekly meditations, and the challenge has both a beginner and intermediate level.

I am in no way affiliated with Yoga Journal, just sharing info I happened to come across earlier.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:55 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Thanks. This is just the kick in the (yoga) pants that I need.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:40 pm 
Nailed to the V

Same here - I just signed up. :) Thanks for posting the info.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:17 am 

Yay, I'm glad you guys signed up. Maybe knowing there are others out there doing it will help me stay motivated to actually do it and not just think about doing it.

I was looking around their site some more over the weekend, and came across another 3 week plan that was already finished. Would either of you, or anyone really, be up for doing this challenge starting July 1?
Yoga Journal Fitness Challenge.

Oh, and also, I saw on Amazon that you can order dvd's from last year's(I think) challenge.
21 Day Challenge
Fitness Challenge

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:18 am 
Nailed to the V

I'd be up for doing the one in July. For sure.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:39 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

gaia13 wrote:
Yoga Journal is doing a 21-day yoga challenge starting June 10, if any PPK'ers are interested. I just signed up since my practice has been nonexistent lately.

I signed up for this after you posted it and evidently it started on June 1, which is fine with me. So far the two routines are exactly as you described and are a perfect reintroduction to yoga for me. Thanks for the heads up!

I hope that knowing that I'm out here doing the challenge will help you stay motivated to do it and not just think about doing it. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:35 pm 

Huh, that's strange. I haven't received any emails from them yet, and I even double-checked my spam and trash folders. I also rechecked my welcome email, and it says Monday, June 10. The only YJ thing I've gotten are the fitness challenge ones, and I'm hoping I'll be able to burn those later, which is why I signed up early since I'm going to be traveling in July some, and am not sure I'll always have reliable access to the internet. Anyways, I'll be starting as soon as I get my first email(hopefully tomorrow). And yes, it's weird, but I'm more apt to stick with things if I know others are also doing them, even if I don't personally know the other person.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:42 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Ah! I guess that I am doing the June fitness challenge, then. So I guess in a week or so, I will be doing both the fitness challenge and the 21-day challenge. All I know is I get the email, it has a link to a video, and I do the video.

If I have to do too much thinking, it will never happen! So I will just accept what fate and my own inattention have given me. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:48 pm 

The fitness challenge I'm talking about is the one linked above from either Sept or Dec of last year, so I don't know what you're doing, but I want to do it too. Maybe if I don't get anything tomorrow, I'll sign-up under a different email(I have enough different ones) and see if that works.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:30 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just signed up for the June 10 challenge and would totally do the July one as well. I need something to yell at me and remind me to exercise, apparently!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:44 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I did Denise Austin's hot body yoga that's free for Amazon Prime members today, and although it was rather ridiculous, the last bit with the weights was really challenging! I really miss going to hot yoga at my local studio, but my finances won't allow it during the summer. Can anyone recommend a good vinyasa/flow dvd? That's really my favorite kind of yoga. Keeps me moving so my mind doesn't wander, and I might be able to justify $10-15 for a dvd that keeps me motivated to practice so that I'm not back at beginner level when I can afford classes again.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:28 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I actually did the 20-minute cardio routine in my office at lunch today. I shimmied into my yoga pants and top, closed the door, and played the YFC routine, working up a bit of a glow, too! Thanks for suggesting the challenge, Gaia, even though I somehow got myself signed up for something that you weren't pointing to... :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:39 am 
Chard Martyr

I just started doing yoga this last year. I found a studio I love, an instructor that I enjoy taking classes from.
I also tried Bikram because so many people said it's amazing but I did not like it very much, nor did I like the instructor (but she was the only instructor at that place). I did like the hot part of Bikram but just not the practice itself so much.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:43 am 

quagga wrote:
I actually did the 20-minute cardio routine in my office at lunch today. I shimmied into my yoga pants and top, closed the door, and played the YFC routine, working up a bit of a glow, too! Thanks for suggesting the challenge, Gaia, even though I somehow got myself signed up for something that you weren't pointing to... :)

You're welcome :) And reading about your workouts so far really has me itching to start my own challenge.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:15 am 
Shopped till she dropped

allularpunk wrote:
I did Denise Austin's hot body yoga that's free for Amazon Prime members today, and although it was rather ridiculous, the last bit with the weights was really challenging! I really miss going to hot yoga at my local studio, but my finances won't allow it during the summer. Can anyone recommend a good vinyasa/flow dvd? That's really my favorite kind of yoga. Keeps me moving so my mind doesn't wander, and I might be able to justify $10-15 for a dvd that keeps me motivated to practice so that I'm not back at beginner level when I can afford classes again.

AP, I have a bunch of old yoga & pilates DVDs that I've grown out of, and I be happy to send them to you. I'll dig them up when I get home from work tonight and show you what I have.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:11 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

kara kara wrote:
allularpunk wrote:

AP, I have a bunch of old yoga & pilates DVDs that I've grown out of, and I be happy to send them to you. I'll dig them up when I get home from work tonight and show you what I have.

Ooooh, fantastic! Thank you!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next