| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Brunch
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:12 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Broccoli quiche and Hollandaise? Very, very rich though.

Crepes and a toppings bar?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:39 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks! I need something really easy and unlabor-intensive because I will be dealing with a toddler through all cooking!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:47 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Waffles!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:48 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Ah, hadn't refreshed :) Assorted baked goods (muffins etc) and good coffee. Maybe roast potatoes, tempeh bacon and a quick scramble at the last minute?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:51 pm 
Semen Strong

I love waffles and my husband and I make them every weekend, but normally that means one person is watching the iron and the other is watching the toddler... I am going to be solo so sadly I am going to be understaffed and could use a recommendation for something easy to make ahead of time if possible...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:18 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Tofulish wrote:
I am going to be solo so sadly I am going to be understaffed and could use a recommendation for something easy to make ahead of time if possible...

Aaaah, brunch is so fun! You're going to have a great solo time! Maybe roasted potatoes, pancakes, tofu scramble and some fruit? It might sound really basic, but I think that's a perfect brunch.

Any of the Roasted Potatoes (p114) you can make the night before and then then reheat in the oven, though they're also relatively low stress if you make in the day of.

I sometimes make pancakes (either Gluten-Free Buckwheat Pancakes (p82 or the Perfect Puffy Pillow Pancakes on the website or a funny hybrid I made up combining the two) earlier in the morning and then keep them warm in a 200° oven, I think that might work for doing the night before and then heating up the next day as well but I've never tried it.

Maybe you could make everything the night before except the Tofu Scramble (p19) and prepping the fruit? You could even prep whatever veggies you want to scramble the night before and then toss them in the morning!

One thing I make all the time and reheats well from Vegan Brunch are the Cornbread Biscuits (p192, I let the batter sit for five minutes before sporking out onto the baking sheet so the cornmeal isn't super super crunchy). So good, and can be savory (peppers in the batter!) or sweet (agave! jam!).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:25 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tofulish wrote:
I just got this book and have friends coming over on Saturday! What to make?

I looooove the Mom's Morning Casserole. It's really unfancy if you're trying to impress friends, but it's comfort foody and delicious. I guess you could fancy it up with mimosas or something.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:37 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I'd make quiche the night before using a store bought crust. It's super delicious and pretty rich and creamy, so all it really needs with it is a simple salad although roasted potatoes also go really well with it. You could even do one of the frittatas, which is basically a tofu scramble that you bake and don't have to watch while it cooks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:43 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks! That sounds perfect! I really appreciate the advice from everyone!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:17 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

THe chard frittata is dead easy and one of my favorites. It has a lot of herbs though, so I'd use less if you don't know how they feel about that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:02 am 
WELFARIST!

Dude, Polenta Rancheros. They are amazing. But I can't vouch for how easy they are to make with a toddler around, seeing as I don't have one of those.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:51 am 
Semen Strong

OMG polenta rancheros might be a must - one of my friends is GF and that sounds incredible.

If you want to know what its like to cook with a toddler just imagine a very bored kitten with a louder voice.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:55 am 
Ninja Master

I dug the book out the other day because I remembered that polenta recipe that i've been meaning to try since I bought the book! I might try it this weekend!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:01 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Maybe make the waffles the night before and toast them at brunch time. I'm totally down with the waffles at the moment. I picked up a waffle iron for €11.99 in Lidl today. Of course that meant I had to have waffles for dinner. I made the cornbread ones since I had all the ingredients already. I cut the recipe to half though. I saved one for my lunch tomorrow at work.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:15 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

A huge vote for polenta rancheros. We make them every time we have overnight company, and everyone has flipped for them. They're especially good with roasted sweet potatoes and guac or sliced avocado. And they're super easy. You could make the polenta the day before, mold it in a muffin tin and give them a quick pan fry in the morning. The rancheros would keep well overnight too. With fruit or an easy salad, and coffee/mimosas it would be a killer brunch.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:46 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

What did you wind up making for your delicious brunching?

I couldn't take all this brunch talk and wound up making a gigantic spinach tofu scramble and roasted potatoes with red peppers for dinner.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:00 pm 
Semen Strong

It snowed and my friends couldn't come out! I might make the polenta rancheros tomorrow for me and Leela now that the threat of Nemo has passed.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:49 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Omg, the polenta rancheros recipe is so amazing! I need to make that again asap. I like it with lashings of tapatio and/or cholula.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:22 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

nothing new to add, but yes, the plenta rancheros recipe is awesome!

last night, made the tofu scramble, oh so good! used herbes de provance instead of the seasoning called for. so awesome! we added in broccoli, red pepper, onion, and mushrooms.

also made the cranberry-orange muffins. omitted almond extract + nuts due to allergies. the cranberry - orange muffins were so yummy!!! it was the perfect way to use up the little bit of cranberries i stashed in the freezer after thanksgiving.
i had some extra batter left over, maybe about enough for 2 more muffins, has this happened to anyone else? next time, i guess i'll distribute the extra batter about the 12 muffins tins so i have bigger muffins, the kind with the spill over tops.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:32 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I made the peanut butter waffles yesterday morning. I've managed to eat all but one so far. They were delicious with some maple syrup on top.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:39 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

daisychain wrote:
I made the peanut butter waffles yesterday morning. I've managed to eat all but one so far. They were delicious with some maple syrup on top.

These are my second favorite waffles (the raised waffles are my favorite) -- they are awesome with sliced banana and chocolate chips. If you put the chocolate chips on the waffle while it is still hot they get all melty. Mmmm...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:42 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Now that is a mindblowing idea! I won't be heading to the health shop for another 2 weeks. I'm praying they have the chocolate chips in stock.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:01 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I tried to make the tomato-rosemary scones last night and failed completely. The dough was, from the start, very sticky, and to get it to the point where I could even handle it with my hands was too long. I think it got overworked because after 16 minutes of baking it was barely cooked even a cm below the surface. I don't know if it was supposed to be so sticky though!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:09 pm 
Semen Strong

Beanitarian wrote:
daisychain wrote:

These are my second favorite waffles (the raised waffles are my favorite) -- they are awesome with sliced banana and chocolate chips. If you put the chocolate chips on the waffle while it is still hot they get all melty. Mmmm...

Ooooh! My partner does this and they are freaking amazing. We put blueberries in the kiddo's waffles and chocolate in ours. But I think she is on to us....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:28 pm 
WELFARIST!

beanspark wrote:
I tried to make the tomato-rosemary scones last night and failed completely. The dough was, from the start, very sticky, and to get it to the point where I could even handle it with my hands was too long. I think it got overworked because after 16 minutes of baking it was barely cooked even a cm below the surface. I don't know if it was supposed to be so sticky though!

The one time I made these, the dough was incredibly sticky, but they turned out fine. Did you try adding a little extra flour? Pretty sure that's what I did, but I remember it still being stupid sticky and just dumping it onto the baking sheet and hoping for the best. (Luckily, the best happened.)

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next