| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: How to ask landlord's permission to adopt a dog?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:56 pm 
ugh

Hmm, I guess it is difficult if there's a high demand for shelter dogs in your area - great for the dogs, not so great for you. I don't have other suggestions other than widening your search area. You could even check out something like the Soi Dog Foundation - VeganFoodRocks adopted a dog from them.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:03 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Yeah, there are a bunch of bigger dogs (especially pit bulls) in the shelters that have been there for a while, but I know that I wouldn't be the right person to take care of a big dog. The smaller ones find new homes pretty quickly.

Someone else suggested craigslist, but getting a dog from craigslist seems kind of sketchy to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:29 pm 
ugh

I agree about Craigslist - you're likely getting a dog from a backyard breeder making money off of "adoption" fees, or from a family who doesn't want it for reasons they won't necessarily disclose to you (like expensive medical issues). And someone rehoming their family pet on Craigslist may not the sort of person who'd go through a lot of trouble to prove they're being honest.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:34 pm 
Semen Strong

UGH Craigslist is the worst for the animals. But maybe its not so bad for the adopters, esp if you're not paying a fee. You wouldn't necessarily get a full vetting, spay and shots included but you might get an animal that is in good shape and you likely wouldn't have to do reference checks.

I hate to encourage anyone to do CL but if a nice animal finds a good home that is the best of all possible worlds.

We have a local story going on where a guy was adopting cats from CL and then torturing them to death. I hate Craigslist

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:59 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Maybe you can volunteer at one of the shelters - once they get to know you they may be more open to your application and you will be able to spend time with different dogs to see which are a good match for you.

The only other thing I can think of is checking pounds/animal control? Sometimes they are easier to adopt from - downside is depending on the facility, the dogs may not get the attention/vet care/screening as a good shelter.

Good Luck!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:50 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I've never actually adopted a dog through a rescue - Chester and Fawkes both come from animal control, all of my cats were strays, Bonny was given to us because of her medical issues, and Harley was given to us because she was going to be sent to a shelter otherwise. But out animal control has a great volunteer program attached to it, fostering and all. So you can get more information about a dog than you might normally from a animal control center, but they still don't ask too many questions. I just filled out an application and they scanned my license and charged us some money and I took home a smelly beast. Hell, I got Chester from an adoption event in front of a Walmart in Kentucky, I only had to pay a $20 fee and they didn't even make me wait to pick him up at the facility, we took him right from there.

I'm not crapping on rescues, but I also get paranoid about the 'we won't be good enough' thing. And there ARE dogs that will fit your lifestyle. Chester is fine with being alone for long stretches and at his age, he doesn't do much running around so he would be fine in an apartment.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:31 am 
Naked Under Apron

The local shelter approved my application! Next step is deciding on a dog that I want, and being the first person to officially say, "I want to adopt that dog."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:42 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Congrats!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:18 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

That's great news! If they have volunteers, you might want to chat them up. My local shelter told me that they often know the personalities of the animals really well because they walk and play with them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:31 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yipee!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:00 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

YAAAAY!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:45 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

You probably just keep applying for the wrong dogs, dogs that do legitimately need a home situation you can't offer. Plus, smaller dogs always go faster. Congrats on being approved at the shelter! The right furkid will come along soon, and you'll be so happy you got turned down for the other ones. My husband and I had applied for a dog through Canadian Chihuahua Rescue and were devastated when we didn't get her, especially since the foster mom and had made us feel so certain that we would get her. So we then applied for the pair who we have now, and they are so a better fit for us and I can't imagine if we had gotten that first dog and I didn't have my babies now!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:50 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Right now, the only small dogs that are at the shelter are Jack Russell Terriers, and everyone has been telling me that they shouldn't be left home alone for too long -- they're smart, and they'll get bored and then destructive. I'll go to the shelter on Saturday, though, and meet the dogs and see if there are any new ones, and talk to the volunteers about how destructive these particular dogs are. If neither of them seem right, then I'll just wait.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:36 pm 

Oh yeah, Jack Russells are SUPER hyper. They act like puppies for at least five years. Chester is part JR, but luckily the lazy beagle in him mellows that side out. I think no matter what, an older dog would be best for your situation.

And Moon is right about the little dogs, i'm pretty sure the only reason I was able to nab Fawkes up is because he has incredibly smelly, greasy, thin, and emotionally dead.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:56 pm 

Everything Mrs said. JRs are known to dig, bark, and be too smart for their own good. Something else to ask is if your shelter will let you do a trial adoption. Many dogs that don't do well in a shelter will blossom in a home whereas others who seem calm are just be suppressed by the shelter environment and do worse in a home.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:08 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Not a dog, but our macaw was one who didn't thrive outside a home. He was the mean, ugly, mangy bird with an attitude problem that nobody liked. I was the only one who clicked with him and he wasn't as mean to me. From the first, he took nuts from my fingers without biting me. He came in with a cockatoo. Sweet, cuddly cockatoo was adopted immediately, but he was there, loveless in a cage, for 4 years. He was so angry and depressed he looked horrible. He didn't preen himself or take care of his feathers. At the first vet visit, our vet was thoroughly unimpressed. Second visit, macaw had beautiful, shiny, glossy, vibrant feathers, and an outgoing personality.

Some don't get the memo that they have to "sell themselves" to get into a nice home. I feel for those ones, because I'm pretty sure I'd be an angry, unlovable bisque in their place.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:08 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Well, there wasn't one this week who was a good fit for me, and it looks like the only two new dogs to come in are a pit bull who "tends to get mouthy" and a 115-pound Mastiff who's afraid of other dogs, so I'll wait until next weekend and look again.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:15 pm 
Semen Strong

Good luck Larisa!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:16 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The right dog will come along, I just know it!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:35 am 
WRETCHED

Beagle rescues are always overloaded with dogs BUT you'd have to find the mellow beagle. I have the 'forever puppy' beagle, who needs plenty of activity and what not. Beagles can also be loud. If you contact them and tell them what you are interested in, they can tell you if they have any pups that would fit the bill.

A couple of rescues that you can try:
http://www.beaglerescueleague.org/
http://www.brewbeagles.org/

Also surprisingly, I've heard Greyhounds are HUGE couch potatoes and great for apartments. When we are ready for another dog, I plan to look into getting a greyhound or at least investigating that option. A big dog isn't for everyone though. Our biggest right now is 30 lbs. If you are interested in going that route, I'd google for some local greyhound rescues.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:42 am 

Beagles are also great because you can use their ears for a blanket.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:28 pm 
Naked Under Apron

There are a few beagle rescues near me, but the application forms looked so complicated that I didn't bother. One of them wanted to know where the dog would be kept in about twenty different specific "when you're not at home" situations, and whether I'm planning on having kids, and the details of how every other pet I've ever owned died, and the height of the fence in my backyard, and so many other questions where I know I can't provide the right answers that it just seemed pointless to even try.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:41 pm 
WRETCHED

We didn't get ours from a beagle rescue but I think they tend to encounter various issues and people who think beagles are great because of Peanuts/Snoopy or something else. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, they just want to see what the situation is but again, I don't know. Although we got our beagle from the local humane society, they were very rigorous in their questioning because we were going to be his 3rd (and final) placement.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:47 pm 

I will never own a beagle. Ever ever. It's a personal preference thing but they are completely not the dog for me.

I can not stress enough what whatever pets greyhounds make. When they retire they are typically lazy as anything, and do NOT need to run. They're usually happy with a couple walks a day. Plus they're already crate trained.

The tricky thing with them is 50% of greyhound rescues require a fenced back yard. The other 50% are totally happy to have them be apartment dogs. Most greys don't need a yard or excessive exercise but will also not be able to go offleash in an in fenced area.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:29 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I'm adopting a dog! It won't be official until next weekend, because they won't officially adopt dogs out until they're spayed or neutered, but she's a Shih-Poo, 1 1/2 years old, and very cute. Not house trained yet, but I've got the week off next week, so I can work with her on that then.

Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next