| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2870 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 115  Next
 Post subject: Re: the lactation station: share your breast feedin' stuff h
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:57 am 
Married to the wolfman

So, the weirdest thing has been happening. My pumped milk smells like... Sulfur. Not always. Sometimes it's just the milk on one side, and the milk from the other smells fine. Sometimes it's both. I think it's a function of how long it's been stored-- it often happens with milk I pump Friday and store in the fridge til Monday/Tuesday. (So 4 days, and I've always been told you can store in the fridge up to a week.)

It doesn't smell spoiled per se, and he doesn't seem bothered by eating it, and it's not making him sick but... What the hell?

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:25 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

That is so weird and disturbing, c&s! If it's not bothering him, I would totally still give it to him. Confession... we sometimes give milk that's been in the fridge for up to 8 days. Never had a problem with it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:57 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

mooo, you're a total breastfeeding badass!

I have just finished my antibiotics but am pretty sure my infection is still there. Westiebaby has her first doctor's appointment on Friday so I'll speak to my doctor then and see if she can recommend anything for me.

We're having hit-and-miss luck with getting her to accept a bottle of expressed milk, it seems if we can offer it to her when she's just woken up and basically hasn't realised she's hungry yet she might take it, but by the time she's asking to be fed she only wants boob. I'm pleased she has a preference for the fresh stuff, but we'd really like her to get used to the bottle so that is an option if/when we actually need her to take it. Keep on keeping on, I guess...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:02 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Boobs are amazing. The 23 oz. was one day after not feeding because of being out and then cranky baby, for about 7 or 8 hours. One of the funniest parts is that only one bottle (so about 5-6 oz) came from the left side...all the rest from the right. And it was still going, but after 40 minutes, I'd had enough. "They" tell you to keep pumping until the milk "stops" but for me that like never happened. I just used my best guess most of the time.

I didn't have to walk home in a snowstorm though! (be sure to tell Scarlett that it was uphill, both ways! :D)

I too, like the hand pump so much better! And sulfurized milk..that's sorta freaky and cool at the same time. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:08 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Thanks to my recent habit of eating a blood orange every time I pump (it's citrus season! I need a snack to distract me!), the smell of oranges now triggers letdowns for me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:12 pm 
Semen Strong

That is kind of amazing. You're a walking Morir soñando

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:21 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Raygold hasn't nursed to sleep in a few nights. Last night, as he was falling asleep, I heard him whisper, "I want boobie...I want boobie..." So I asked if he wanted boobie, all ready to give it to him, and he didn't reply.
He woke up a few hours later, screaming and crying (not unusual -- if he wakes up and I am not in bed yet, he usually gets upset). So I offered him some boob and eventually he decided he wanted some, but when I pulled out my boob, my nipple is all dark from pregnancy and he announced he totally didn't want any boobie because my nipples are "dirty and stinky."
I showed him that it was the colour of my nipple and explained it's because I'm pregnant, not lacking in hygeine, but at this point, he was so tired, he was being kind of irrational and unintentionally hilarious (Raygold is a bit of a mope and it's even funnier when he's upset) and was standing there all red-faced, with both his arms up in the air like a cop directing traffic, saying, "'Top! 'Top!" [stop] "I not want boobie ANY MORE!"
I explained that whether or not he had boobie ever again was entirely up to him. The look on his face was priceless. Free will!

I wanted to nurse all my kids until they were 3, but at this point, he hardly nurses at all anyway and my nipples feel like they are being dipped in acid when I nurse since I am pregnant (didn't happen with Beetroot when I was pregnant with Raygold) and he's over 2-3/4 and it seems to be his choice, so although part of me is still thinking, "it's too soon!" I'm actually pretty cool with it. I could use a short break after 4-3/4 years.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:11 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Awww, self-weaned bebes. *sniff* Thats awesome you got 2.75yrs out of him though. I will Sam would have gone over 2yrs old. But right at the 25month mark he was done. But thats an issue with a late miscarriage causing my milk to dry up and he didnt want anymore. We managed to do it for a whole 21months (I started at 4months old... relactation) and I am quite happy I did that, but I missed it so much during the whole 2yrs of trying for Elijah. Now we're at 3.5months and he's a boobie monster. I hope we can do it for even longer than Sam.. I love the BFing relationship.

Anyway, back to your post, it's good you are okay with it. When it ends without us wanting it to, it is devastating. So self-weaning after 2yrs old is a good thing in my book. Good on you guys! *thumbs up*

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:14 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I guess he's not 100% done yet because he announced his intention to nurse at bedtime while we were still getting ready for bed (usually he asks when we are already in bed). I reminded him he'd called my nipple "dirty and ftinky," but he didn't care. I actually don't think there's much going on in the way of supply at the moment and, in any case, he didn't nurse for very long. It was cute, though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:39 pm 
Semen Strong

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
my nipples feel like they are being dipped in acid when I nurse since I am pregnant ... I could use a short break after 4-3/4 years.

I am in awe of your breastfeeding ability and high threshold for pain. I definitely think your boobs deserve a special designation, like the Purple Heart.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:56 pm 

So I'm taking a grad school class and tonight I went to the bathroom in the building where my class is (one of many buildings in huge university). I should have taken a picture of this, but outside the women's room were three symbols: the traditional women's room woman in a dress, a baby with a diaper, and a woman holding a baby. I'm intrigued, so after I peed, I looked around to find the nursing area. Behind stall doors, that looked just like regular bathroom stalls, were two little rooms just big enough for a chair. I looked around for an outlet, figuring most women would want to use this space to pump and wouldn't have their baby with them at class. No outlets. The area was literally right next to the toilet stalls as well, so all the sounds and smells of a big public restroom. Hmmm. So I wasn't impressed.

It makes me wonder how decisions about these types of things are made. Who thinks that is meeting lactating mothers' needs? Thank god I don't need a place to pump. My class is only an hour after babynut's bedtime so I nurse before I leave. And if I did need a place to nurse babynut, I wouldn't sit in the bathroom. I'd go to the student lobby with sofas and cushy chairs right outside of the bathroom.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:27 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Milk pumped from Friday forgot about until today. Sorry, Carlos. This is going to be my last week of pumping and I so wanted it to be a good week.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:48 am 

Kimba was the milk out? If in fridge, it's still good yeah?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:51 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Just sitting out in the hallway. :(

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:28 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Bummer, Kimba! Hope you can still have a good week!

I'm curious how long working/pumping moms have pumped? Right now, I'm thinking I'd like to pump around 15 months. That would take me through May and then I'm home for the summer. By 18 months, when school starts again, I'd like to try to be weaned to morning/bedtime feeding.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:59 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I hate to hear that Kimba - I hope the rest of your week goes well though!

I am still pumping away. I am so very tired of it. I was hoping that I could cut down on my # of pumps per day, but when I cut from 6 to 5 I dropped by 6 oz which put me at just as much as Giles eats on a typical day, and recently he has started having ravenous days where he wants an extra bottle.

That is an awesome long time of pumping Kdub! I would be interested in knowing how long people have pumped at work as well. I hear that a lot of workplaces get a little upset if you want to pump beyond 12 months. It wouldn't matter at my work since I work while I pump for the most part, but for people who take more frequent or longer breaks I understand it can be an issue.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:14 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I plan to pump until his due date anniversary, so under 13 months. I am very excited to be finishing. Thursday is my last day! So he will get milk from me Tuesday-Friday. I only pump one bottle (or less) these days, but it is still hard to see the milk wasted. He is getting soy formula too, and will start the transition to soy milk at the end of the week. Exciting!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:33 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I pumped until just before his first birthday, but I go into his classroom at noon and offer him boob, which he doesn't always want. So at 12.5 months he nurses anywhere from 2-4 times a day. I started sending him a sippy with half soy/half coconut milk which he's been pretty into, and he drinks a ton of water.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:11 am 

I cut down to two pumps at work at about nine months, and then I stopped altogether at 13 months. She drinks soy milk when I'm at work and we still nurse about 4 times a day. More on the weekend.

I'm on vacation with my in laws this week and I think my MIL is completely mortified that I'm still nursing. She hasn't said anything, but I can tell she is uncomfortable whenever I take one out in public. It's kinda awesome, like having a secret weapon.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:56 am 
Married to the wolfman

I'm planning on going through this semester, so to about 16 months.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:28 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I've been wondering the same thing lately now that C is 1. Has anybody pump-weaned but also night-weaned? C has been sleeping through the night fairly well the last week or so, and I don't really want to go back to night wakings. I'm mostly afraid of my supply plummeting if I stop pumping during the day and feeding at night. So basically, he'd nurse morning, on pick up from day care, and before bed. And all weekend long....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:30 pm 
Semen Strong

Butternut wrote:
I'm on vacation with my in laws this week and I think my MIL is completely mortified that I'm still nursing. She hasn't said anything, but I can tell she is uncomfortable whenever I take one out in public. It's kinda awesome, like having a secret weapon.

I love that you are spitenursing :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:20 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

sofrito wrote:
I've been wondering the same thing lately now that C is 1. Has anybody pump-weaned but also night-weaned? C has been sleeping through the night fairly well the last week or so, and I don't really want to go back to night wakings. I'm mostly afraid of my supply plummeting if I stop pumping during the day and feeding at night. So basically, he'd nurse morning, on pick up from day care, and before bed. And all weekend long....

Will has been sleeping 10-11 hours for a while, and I still pump 12-14oz in the morning. (My husband starts work later than me, so Will is still sleeping when i leave some mornings). Right now, I pump in the morning, at lunch, nurse upon pick up, before dinner and before bed. I don't know if that's any help?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:08 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Yes - that totally helps kdub. Thx!!. I was thinking of trying to pump at home in the morning since I'm really full when I wake. Maybe I can then drop pumps during the work day. We'll see. I'm loving this stage of nursing but reaaaaallllly can't stand pumping at work much longer.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:39 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Tofulish wrote:
Butternut wrote:

I love that you are spitenursing :)

Me, too!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2870 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 115  Next