| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Catering an artshow/record release party?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:57 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Okay, so a bit of a backstory. T. is a well-known artist around these parts. An up-and-coming indie-folk artist who is becoming well known in Canada took notice, and T. has since done tour posters and a record layout for her, and then T. and I recently collaborated on the design of a special edition 7" for her. In the process of working with her, she learned that we are vegan and we like to cook.

She is wanting to hold a record release party for the EP and the 7" inch T. and I were involved with at a gallery here in our city, and also offer it as a night to feature the works of visual artists (including T.) that she has collaborated with on recent projects. Pretty neat, huh?

Then she mentions the idea of me making the food. Making it all vegan. Little appetizers and things for people to nibble while they mingle. She isn't vegan, so this is pretty awesome. And a huge opportunity to make some great food and show people that vegan food isn't weird. Plus, I've never catered an event before!

So, I haven't even said yes yet, because before I get in over my head, I wanted to ask the PPKexperts what kinds of things they'd make. (I'm looking for poopiebitch up in this thread!) What is delicious, handheld/nibbly/appetizerish, would wow a 25-40 hip/artsy/folky crowd, is easy enough for me to make en masse?

Post subject: Re: Catering an artshow/record release party?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:51 pm 
And you never will.

That is sooo awesome!! Do you know about how many people you will be making food for? Will there be a way to keep things warm, or should they be good at room temp as well?

Things that I've had very good feedback from, are good warm and at room temp, and were easy are:
-mac n'cheese bites (I did them in mini muffin tins, and everyone LOVED these, mostly omnis)
-pesto pinwheels (ala vijita - puff pastry and pesto: roll, bake, cut)
-spanakopita (time consuming, but easy to make ahead and freeze, then bake when you need them)
-any kind of dip with crostini (sundried tomato dip or walnut mushroom pate from v'con are good ones)

I'll think about it a bit and get back to you!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:55 pm 
And you never will.

Oooh! And for sweet, mini whoopie pies are a HUGE hit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:13 am 

Ooooh, those all sound amazing. Mac and cheese bites? shiitake. I want that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:38 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I always say this on this sort of thread (fingerfoods!), but the mini crustless quiches from the fat free vegan blog are way easy and super delicious.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:50 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

My fave vegan app that I have had out and have recreated at home is Tofurky Italian links cut up and baked into pizza dough! Serve with marinara sauce or even ketchup and mustard...So good!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:50 am 
Keepin' It Seal

I have to make mac and cheese bites. That sounds amazing.

Other things I've made that omnis have loved
-mini quiches (using the recipe in VB in mini muffin tins)
-mushroom puffs (sauteed mushrooms, onions, thyme, salt and pepper wrapped in puff pastry triangles)

And pretty much anything in puff pastry can be made ahead and frozen until it's time to bake

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:36 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I took those sausage pastry puffs from Vegan Brunch to an omni gathering and people devoured them! There was a vegetarian girl there that wasn't eating them because she thought they must have meat the way the omnivores were going after them. She was so excited when I told her they were vegan.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:20 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Bruchetta and Crostini and kind of common, but you could make it with interesting toppings: Mushroom-Walnut pate, a chickpea pesto salad, 'non' guacamole: Avacado, shallots, tomatoes, parsley, lemon juice, all cut kind of chunky (this has gone over really well for me at parties). All easy to make ahead of time, and just plate an hour or so before serving.

Like someone said, ANYTHING in puff pastry. The pesto pinwheels are good, I have done that. Any kind of pesto spread on puff pastry, rolled up, cut and baked. Super easy. Or making little 'bags' of stuff using wonton or goyza wrappers. Also easy to make ahead of time. I would think some vegan cream cheese ones with sun dried tomatoes would be good. There are some excellent recipes in Quick Fix Vegan for those, and LOTS of other appetizers.

Don't forget sushi! Easy to make ahead of time. You can make all types. I would try making ones with Tempeh, I think there is a good recipe in Vcon. Just to show people that Tempeh is awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:15 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Veggie dumplings, spring rolls, mini-tacos, cookies, cupcakes, mini-pizzas, chick-pea fritters, french fries, stuffed mushrooms (or stuffed anything really)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:24 pm 
WRETCHED

how about mini fruit tarts? I always like strawberries, you could make chocolate dipped strawberries maybe?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:43 pm 
Saggy Butt

No ideas, but where in Ontario is this event? I might be interested in attending.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:02 pm 

It'll be in London, Ontario, Norelle! Are you in this area? If you are, I'll send you an invite when it happens!