| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 704 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:33 am 
Chard Martyr

I'm pretty excited about my doctor, yes!
Ok, so I'm bummed about insurance! I thought I'd only have my copay but upon further research, looks like I'll have to pay for nearly the entire procedure (out of pocket is $1050; my deductible is $1000 and I haven't satisfied any of it yet). So I'm conflicted. On one hand, I know it will pay for itself in a little over 2 years but on the other that's a massive amount of money! Healthcare costs are so super ridiculous.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:35 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Well, I'll be in year four in May. All is well. A very, very minor discharge occurs at that time now. After three years without periods, I can somehow grumble about this. How spoiled!

My best info is that I can a) get a swap in one appointment. So, removal and replacement in one painful go. And, b) I'm broke enough to have it done for freaking free! Thanks, Planned Parenthood. My support in years with money was a great choice.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:06 pm 
Chard Martyr

That's weird. When I called Planned Parenthood, they said it would cost me $1200.

I was able to find out that my insurance company has to adopt the Affordable Care Act reproductive rights stuff as of July 1, so I guess I'll be waiting until then because it'll be covered. Sad I can't get it Monday but $1000 is crazy if I can get it much cheaper in July.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:05 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Holy motherforking hell! I just had the Mirena inserted and it was one of the most painful experiences of my life (on par with a gallbladder attack, I'd say, though blessedly shorter). My uterus is so mad at me right now!

Honestly, I don't know if I'd get it again knowing how painful this was. Jesus. My bro's gf just had it inserted and said it was a breeze.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:39 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I'm a little scared. I got BV (admittedly, my partner and I do not use protection other than my IUD-we kept breaking them, hence! the IUD. Also I don't know if this unprotected sex is what's causing the BV...)
BUT in any case I got it. Got on antibiotice, and I think it's gone? I don't have the discharge, but am experiencing crampy stuff this whole last week.

I'm wondering if any of you who have the copper IUD have noticed this...does anyone else feel kind of bloaty for part of the month? Gassy? I feel like I have more weird feelings in that area, I just wnat to be able to distinguish between bv and normal IUD pains. I've had the IUD for over a year now. I love it, and just had a check up before I got on antibiotics-it is in place.
Ugh. Help!

Now go eat some vegan food and don't complain about the world.
-Claire Galant, T.O.F.U Magazine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:45 pm 
Saggy Butt

I've had BV a few times (like, it was recurring), and my doctor just told me to start doing a "wipe-down" of my partner and myself before sex, haha. We just use baby wipes (sexy, I know!). Obviously it doesn't really kill all bacteria or anything but once I get lectured on anal sweat and bacteria transfer from thongs (UGH SORRY) I figured it was better than nothing at reducing bacteria transfer. Also! - I started taking probiotics regularly and haven't gotten it since. If the bloating is recent, is there a chance the antibiotics messing up your gut flora further could be causing the bloating and gas? I never had those symptoms regularly with my copper IUD. Hope everything clears up soon!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:56 pm 

mandycoot wrote:
I've had BV a few times (like, it was recurring), and my doctor just told me to start doing a "wipe-down" of my partner and myself before sex, haha. We just use baby wipes (sexy, I know!). Obviously it doesn't really kill all bacteria or anything but once I get lectured on anal sweat and bacteria transfer from thongs (UGH SORRY) I figured it was better than nothing at reducing bacteria transfer. Also! - I started taking probiotics regularly and haven't gotten it since. If the bloating is recent, is there a chance the antibiotics messing up your gut flora further could be causing the bloating and gas? I never had those symptoms regularly with my copper IUD. Hope everything clears up soon!

Hey thanks! That sounds about right for us. I've starting taking probiotics and we've been cleaning up before and after. My bv symptoms are gone, just this achiness is still here-if I don't get my period soon, I'll start to be worried then! I actually just got a note from my gyno saying it's likely just IUD pain if I don't have discharge or anything going on downstairs. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:02 am 
Level 7 Vegan

j-dub wrote:
Holy motherforking hell! I just had the Mirena inserted and it was one of the most painful experiences of my life (on par with a gallbladder attack, I'd say, though blessedly shorter). My uterus is so mad at me right now!

Honestly, I don't know if I'd get it again knowing how painful this was. Jesus. My bro's gf just had it inserted and said it was a breeze.

Oh noooo! I'm sorry it was so painful for you!

Did you have/use any sort of painkiller ahead of time? Did your doctor even offer or suggest it? My doctor never recommended anything, but I had read enough insertion stories that I pregamed (ha ha ha) with some ibuprofen, and I credit that with my really breezy insertion.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:36 pm 

sarahnorine wrote:
mandycoot wrote:

Hey thanks! That sounds about right for us. I've starting taking probiotics and we've been cleaning up before and after. My bv symptoms are gone, just this achiness is still here-if I don't get my period soon, I'll start to be worried then! I actually just got a note from my gyno saying it's likely just IUD pain if I don't have discharge or anything going on downstairs. Thanks!

Got it today. Hahaha...oooh me.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:53 am 

Does anyone use underwear with built-in pads? Does it work? I want to get soem I think...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:23 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

vegetalion wrote:
j-dub wrote:

Oh noooo! I'm sorry it was so painful for you!

Did you have/use any sort of painkiller ahead of time? Did your doctor even offer or suggest it? My doctor never recommended anything, but I had read enough insertion stories that I pregamed (ha ha ha) with some ibuprofen, and I credit that with my really breezy insertion.

I took ibuprofen, but was told to take it an hour before the appointment...they ran about an hour late. And I had taken some to work in an empty bottle so I thought I was taking 400 mg but actually only took 200mg. That being said, I think I have a really sensitive uterus and cervix so it felt like I was being tortured. I think I will ask for a prescription for something stronger for removal time.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:28 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I've had the Mirena for six months now, and we're still not friends. I still have a bit of spotting, but that in itself wouldn't be too bad. I also, however, have more spots than usual and my beard growth is getting quite impressive - I usually remove my 'stache about every other week and now it's more like twice/week! I'm seeing a midwife on Wednesday for a consultation and I'm almost sure I'll decide on having it out.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:09 am 

I was fitted for a diaphragm today, and had the Mirena removed. I had counted on multiple visits and maybe some negativity about the diaphragm, so it was a relief to have it all done in one go. I had my consultation with a midwifery student, who was quite excited that she actually got to do a diaphragm fitting, since they're so rare. And it turns out diaphragms are still free in my region! (They were free everywhere in Sweden until 2010.)

I don't think I'll miss having an IUD, but I'm glad I tried them.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:19 pm 
Married to the wolfman

So I've had my copper IUD for over a year now and I swear to fork, my periods are just getting worse. Maybe I should actually have the thing out. Everyone else in my life seems to think so!

The thing is I love it so damn much for the 23 days out of every 28 that I'm not wracked by deathly cramps and torrential floods of blood.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:18 am 

coldandsleepy wrote:
So I've had my copper IUD for over a year now and I swear to fork, my periods are just getting worse. Maybe I should actually have the thing out. Everyone else in my life seems to think so!

The thing is I love it so damn much for the 23 days out of every 28 that I'm not wracked by deathly cramps and torrential floods of blood.

Did your periods get noticeably worse right away after you had it inserted? I'm thinking if the worsening (is that a word?) has been gradual it could be something else.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:10 am 
Married to the wolfman

They were worse right away. I can't tell if they're really even worse now (maybe just equally bad) or if I'm just weary of it. This one started with two days of the worst cramping ever followed by just gushing blood-- yesterday I overflowed my cup 6 times in less than 12 hours, including once in under an hour.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:13 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

C&S, I feel ya. I've had my iud for about 1.5 years and the cramps and bleeding were a million billion times worse immediately, and have never gotten better. Your bleeding is much heavier than mine I think (I have to empty my cup like 3-4 times in 12 hrs) but my flow has always been pretty light.

I've thought about getting it removed but I don't know what to switch to. My husband's willing to get sterilized but I'd like to always keep myself protected as well but not through hormones or sterilization. Like you, I mostly love this thing except for when my period comes.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:55 am 

Wow, it seems I may have been lucky to only get "marathon" periods with the copper IUD, mine were not heavy or painful. I hope you both find something that works!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:17 am 

This may have been said before, but I think peoples' experiences with the insertion and the way their body reacts to the IUD completely depends on the person.
My insertion wasn't painless, but it wasn't horrible. It felt like a big menstrual cramp, which was fine. I had it inserted when I was on my period, when my cervix was naturally "more dilated". Planned Parenthood was fine with this. Also, I took Ibuprofen beforehand and that also seemed to help a crapton.

After insertion, I have seen a more regular cycle but my flow is still heavy. The nice people at PP told me that I shouldn't use the Diva Cup, but I bought another one anyway because my friends have been using it with their IUDs with no problem. Apparently the suction, if you don't relieve it before pulling the Diva Cup out, can pull the IUD out as well. I also have sea sponge tampons, which work amazingly, but are alas, not vegan. I got some before I figured out what the hell they were and then couldn't take them back.

I really want to invest in some period underwear with built in liners. I think that would be awesome, but I'm not really up to snuff on what's a good brand.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:55 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Sarahnorine, I think a ppker makes or used to make reusable fabric liners but I don't remember if they were built in to the underwear? I really can't remember who it was though! Maybe someone else who does can chime in.

I did ask the doctor who inserted my IUD if menstrual cups were ok to use and she said they were totally fine and didn't comment on the suction issue. I definitely release the seal before I pull mine out though! It's so weird to me that different doctors give different advice!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:17 pm 

couroupita wrote:
Sarahnorine, I think a ppker makes or used to make reusable fabric liners but I don't remember if they were built in to the underwear? I really can't remember who it was though! Maybe someone else who does can chime in.

I did ask the doctor who inserted my IUD if menstrual cups were ok to use and she said they were totally fine and didn't comment on the suction issue. I definitely release the seal before I pull mine out though! It's so weird to me that different doctors give different advice!

Good to know. Yeah teh lady at PP kind of freaked me out about it so I threw my cup away. :(

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:27 pm 
Married to the wolfman

My doctor didn't think it'd be problematic, and I've continued to use my cup the whole time without issue.

My periods haven't gotten any longer! Just worse on the bleeding and cramping!

Now that my period's over, I'm back to feeling like my IUD and I are just going to hold hands and skip off into the sunset together.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:00 pm 
Saggy Butt

My doctor never had any concerns about the Diva Cup, and I've used it without event for 5+ years!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:23 am 

mandycoot wrote:
My doctor never had any concerns about the Diva Cup, and I've used it without event for 5+ years!

That's what I've been hearing. :(

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:21 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I'm going to be getting a copper IUD soon. I'm sick of hormonal birth control (I'm not allowed to go on the combined pill anymore because they think I have high blood pressure, but I think I have white coat syndrome, and the POP makes me bleed constantly) and I hate using condoms, so IUD it is.

I've read through some of the thread, so I'm prepared for pain and heavier periods, but what peas me off is bleeding between periods. Did any of you who have the copper one experience anything like that?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 704 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 29  Next