| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 88  Next
 Post subject: Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:23 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i think it was more so breastfeeding could be established before putting anything else in their mouth (ie pacifier or bottle) but yeah people do get crazy on the pacifier thing.

i havent decided yet what we are gonna do. i dont WANT to but im not sure that's a decision i can make when i dont have a screaming baby in my arms ;-)

i never took a pacifier though i believe my mom tried. i couldnt breath with one in my mouth so in that instance a pacifier would be child abuse (as opposed to no pacifier!) ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:40 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i also had no-formula and no-pacifiers in our birth plan but the kids got both. [le sigh]
it turned out OK anyway, though. i was sure it would be the end of BF/the world but it was no big deal.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:00 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

I have a silly due date question.
I remembered originally I had a different due date and they pushed it forward based on my first U/S and they were super suspicious of me which I thought was weird. The due date based on the u/s they gave me is 5/2.

Out of curiousity I went and used one of those online due date calculators. Based on ovulation my original due date was 4/22 which is a full 10 days earlier. :-O

I fully understand the fact that due dates are not exact and the baby will come when it wants to come but I know usually anywhere from 38-42 weeks is normal gestation so im wondering if I should be “ready” a week or so earlier now or if the u/s dates are super accurate and I should just forget about the other date. Ill still be working on 4/22, my last day is 4/26. I have a completely irrational fear of my water breaking at work or in public. I will die of mortification I think.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:08 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I don't have any real help with the whole due date thing because babies come when they want to come so I think you should be "ready" with all the major stuff by at least week 38 (although I know lotsa people who spontaneously went into labor at week 36!!) But the whole water breaking in public thing was a huge fear for me too until I realized that typically when water breaks it is more of a slow trickle then a gush. Once baby is head down/engaged the head acts as kind of a cork to limit the "gushing" of the water. that is why so many people aren't really sure if thier water broke or if they just peed themselves a little!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:20 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Regarding gushes v. trickles...

As far as I know, my water never broke when I had Beetroot. I mean, maybe I peed it all out in the toilet during early labour and didn't know it, but there was never a gush or a trickle from the ambulance ride to the birth 9 or 10 hours later. However, when I had Raygold, my waters burst -- there was a popping feeling and water shot out everywhere. This was in the birthing centre after almost 10 hours of labour (my labour was mostly at home, I had been at the birthing centre for maybe half an hour before labour got serious) and I had Raygold a few pushes later. So sometimes they can totally burst forth like a tsunami, although I'm not sure how commone gushing versus bursting versus a trickle is....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:44 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ive heard both too and i wish there was a secret way to know ;-)

our childbirth instructor said you may not even notice when your water breaks if say you're hanging out on the toilet because youre having contractions and it feels comfy. or you may have like an explosion and tidal wave!

scary!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:46 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

annasrobbie wrote:
I don't have any real help with the whole due date thing because babies come when they want to come so I think you should be "ready" with all the major stuff by at least week 38 (although I know lotsa people who spontaneously went into labor at week 36!!) But the whole water breaking in public thing was a huge fear for me too until I realized that typically when water breaks it is more of a slow trickle then a gush. Once baby is head down/engaged the head acts as kind of a cork to limit the "gushing" of the water. that is why so many people aren't really sure if thier water broke or if they just peed themselves a little!

lately ive heard of a few people going into labor a month before their due date so maybe ill just be ready a month early. that will of course guarantee i will be super late! ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:17 pm 
***LIES!!!***

My water broke in the bathroom at Target. Luckily I was on the toilet. There was definitely a pop and gush. What was worse, though, was the blood-tinged water leaking down my leg afterwards because I had nothing to put there to absorb it (there wasn't even toilet paper in the bathroom, it was bad news). Lesson: travel with a pad in your purse.

On the upside - only something like 10% of labors begin with water breaking, mostly it happens well into labor so you're likely to be at home or in the hospital.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:12 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

for me, I had a weird leaking sensation for a few days before labor and couldn't decide what the hell that was. Then I had a pretty strange very volatile labor and figured that leakage must've been my water in the previous days, but then when I got to the hospital and was changing into a gown, apparently my water broke all over the floor. (I was completely oblivious at that point, I only know it happened because the nurse got all exasperated about it.)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:38 pm 
Semen Strong

I had the pop and gush too. While doing yoga at home. I heard it, and then my yoga mat looked like it had gotten hit by a large water balloon.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:41 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I missed the pop, because it happened while I was sleeping! But there was a definite gush.

Also my due date based on my period was somewhere in the late January range, but the date with the ultrasound was Feb 1, and he popped out a day before that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:52 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Re: due dates...be ready! :) But, just mentally ready. You can always run out and get diapers, breastpads, extra blankets or whatever...don't stress about having everything "perfect". Think about what's really important to you, and work on that first. Babies definitely come when they're ready. :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:37 pm 
Saggy Butt

And your water might not even ever break! I went into labor at 41 weeks and the midwife broke my water during the pushing since I was having a difficult time.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:48 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

first time, my water leaked all day and i literally just thought i was peeing myself, and then for real later on before i started pushing. the second time, my waters broke next to my bed, in the middle of a heck of a contraction, with the stereotypical pop and gush... about 20 min before i started pushing. there was no chance that i would have been out and about while that was going on. but man, it would have sucked if it had, because i was, as the midwife put it, juicy. it just kept coming and coming and coming. we went though all the towels in the house just trying to stem the flow.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:55 pm 
Married to the wolfman

My water was broken for me during my first labor, and the OB had a really hard time breaking it even with the hook. We have the best/worst video somewhere taken by my doula while the OB was fishing bits of things out of me (sorry! it happens sometimes!) and the OB is just super casually telling me things like "oh, the cord was attached in the wrong place on the placenta" (actually a really dangerous thing!) and "your membranes are really unusually tough, I don't think those would have broken on their own" and stuff. When my water was broken that time, it was a hell of a thing. My room looked like a crime scene because I couldn't stay in one place and there was just blood and fluids everywhere.

What I'm saying is I don't think mine ever would have broken spontaneously in that pregnancy, but if it had and I'd been out in public, daaaaaang.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:16 am 
Seagull of the PPK

C&S, i was induced and it was the same thing- extra tough, apparently, and it was a goddamn tsunami (AND it was neon green since it was full of meconium because i was 40+ weeks and the little buggers had already pooped). glad i wasn't at the checkout at Target....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:00 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Neither of my labours started with water breaking. With my first pregnancy, I was in labour for a few hours, and my water broke probably about another hour after arriving at the hospital. It happened while I was in the shower, and it wasn't a huge gush. I didn't even realize what had happened. I just got out of the shower when I was done, and was lying on a bed, moaning, and trying to get comfortable. I started complaining that I was leaking and how gross it was, but somehow I didn't put two and two together until the nurse returned and was like, "Oh my god, when did your water break?" At that point, I went to the delivery room.

The second time, my water didn't break on its own. I was already in the delivery/recovery-awesome-room, fully dilated, etc. The doctor asked if I wanted him to rupture it, and when he did, it just gushed all over. Such a horrible feeling of warm fluid pouring everywhere. Kind of fascinating though.

So both times for me, I was well into labour, and not out and about.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:44 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I was already pushing for a couple hours before any membranes ruptured. Wheee. (it was definitely noticeable when it happened because was squatting over a chux pad on my bedroom floor, but not a ton of fluid)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:15 am 
Semen Strong

This stomach bug is knocking me for a loop - its been going on since Saturday night, and she will seem completely fine but then puke up everything she eats, but then goes back to nurse more. She isn't dehydrated, so that is good. She is drinking ginger tea (which so far has stayed down). She also has the worst diarrhea and won't wear a diaper. If I put one on her she will scream non-stop until its off, even if I try to distract her, so I rolled up our rugs instead. I don't normally care about poo smells, but OMG this is foul.

What do I do, and when will it end? I feel so bad for her. Oh and we are using peroxide to treat the stench which seems to be working somewhat. Any suggestions for other treatments (Nature's Miracle, vinegar and baking soda were also used with some success).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:21 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Is she like that all the time with diapers? Or is it part of the sickness?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:37 pm 
Semen Strong

Well she doesn't like diapers on normally, but I can generally distract her and its fine. Here she doesn't want to be washed and when I put the diaps on, she cries until they are taken off. She is still so sick. Shepuked on me during our dog walk. I was walking the dog with her in a back-carry and then felt her vomiting all over my shoulders. Now she is asleep, still on me, still in her own vomit.

I am also a little upset/confused, because we had a playdate with a friend late last week, and as our kids were sharing food, just mentioned off-hand "Oh I had the roughest night, poor dear was vomiting all night." And I said "Oh no, I hope she isn't contagious" and my friend said "Oh no, I would never have brought her out to play with L if she was!" So 2 days later L has the puking etc, and I can't think of anywhere else she could have gotten it. But clearly my friend didn't think her child was contagious. Even though it looks like gastroenteritis is contagious for 2 weeks after all symptoms have cleared up. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stomach-flu/AN01758 At this point, I wouldn't expose any other kids to L, and if I quarantine her for 2 weeks after she gets better it means we can't go to playdates until the last week of March.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:02 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I like to follow the school rule. If your kid pukes they shouldn't come back to school until 24 hours of no puking unless you were absolutely positive that the puking wasn't caused by sickness...like the kid ate too much and couldn't keep it down. Your friend should not have gone on that playdate with you if her kid was "vomiting all night".

About the 2 week quarantine, if she stops puking, and having sick poops for say 3-4 straight days I would take her out. I just wouldn't let her share drinks or food with anyone. Just be vigilant with things like that.

How long does she cry when you put the diaper on? I personally would put the diaper on and a snapped onesie and let her cry. My kids would eventually stop crying/complaining and go on with their day. Could you put the diaper on her and maybe show her a youtube video of something? Potty training poop on the floor is one thing..but butt squirt sick poop is another! GOOD LUCK!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:08 pm 
Semen Strong

Okay,thank you so much JENNA! That makes a lot of sense. Butt squirt sick poop is the worst!

She woke up at 5 this morning in a full on night terror and we couldn't get her to stop screaming until we actually woke her up and then it took a really long time to calm her down. I had to wake Brett up because I couldn't manage it on my own. Poor sick kiddo.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:34 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Re: water breaking... I'm a teacher and was mortified that my water would break in the middle of class!! Didn't happen. My water didn't break until about 1 hour or 30 min before I started pushing, at which point I was nearly 10cm dilated. I lost my mucus plug maybe an hour before that? I don't know if they're related, but that's my 2 cents!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:58 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

My water never broke on it's own. I also never went into labor on my own. Was induced at 2 weeks overdue with both kids!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 88  Next