| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138 ... 533  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:02 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Alaina wrote:
People that assume because your vegan, you love mushrooms. I don't like mushrooms!

Preach it!

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:06 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Buckets are good too! Let's have a bucket of koalas to go with the sloths. Oh! And marmots!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:35 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ok this really irritated me.
i have an acquaintance who is HUGE into dog rescue. has 800 wayward dogs in their house, is constantly posting pictures of dogs that need homes, fosters tons of dogs, etc.

they just posted a picture of a giant box of foie gras they got delivered.

ummm???????? i mean yay for helping dogs in need but why arent gooses ok? (duck? i actually dont 100% know what animal gets tortured for foie gras but i know it's pretty terrible what they do)

there's a strange disconnect there. i mean what if dogs are really really tasty? would the dog rescue thing be off then?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:01 pm 
WRETCHED

I love mushrooms, send all the mushrooms to me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:06 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Today someone told me I could not eat nutritional yeast, because yeast consists of little animals. Then, following this brilliant train of reasoning, they told me that I shouldn't eat bread, because there's yeast in there too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:14 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

LisaPunk wrote:
i have an acquaintance who is HUGE into dog rescue. has 800 wayward dogs in their house, is constantly posting pictures of dogs that need homes, fosters tons of dogs, etc.

ummm???????? i mean yay for helping dogs in need but why arent gooses ok? (duck? i actually dont 100% know what animal gets tortured for foie gras but i know it's pretty terrible what they do)

there's a strange disconnect there. i mean what if dogs are really really tasty? would the dog rescue thing be off then?

Yeah, I've always thought it's weird that most people I've met who work in dog rescue do eat meat. I mean, of course it's really awesome that they're helping dogs, but I don't get why they don't seem to have a problem with eating horribly treated farmed animals. They don't want dogs to be mistreated, but they contribute to the suffering of other animals and don't seem to care about that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:20 pm 
WELFARIST!

Paloma wrote:
Today someone told me I could not eat nutritional yeast, because yeast consists of little animals. Then, following this brilliant train of reasoning, they told me that I shouldn't eat bread, because there's yeast in there too.

This happens to me often.
ilovemydogs wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:

Yeah, I've always thought it's weird that most people I've met who work in dog rescue do eat meat. I mean, of course it's really awesome that they're helping dogs, but I don't get why they don't seem to have a problem with eating horribly treated farmed animals. They don't want dogs to be mistreated, but they contribute to the suffering of other animals and don't seem to care about that.

We talked about this earlier in the thread...I still don't get it, but some people disagree.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:36 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

I rembered after I posted that we had already discussed this topic. For me it was just strange her passion for helping dogs in need vs eating a food so cruel it's been banned I mean huh?

But yeah we already discussed I remember now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:07 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I felt that way when the shelter where I volunteer had a meat raffle fundraiser. I really want to ask how they can feel okay raising money from the suffering of animals, but I don't think I'd get much of a response.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:26 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

linanil wrote:
And me. We will share them, since when we have all the mushrooms, there will be enough for us both.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:31 pm 
WELFARIST!

I think the example that LisaPunk is talking about differs slightly (and some may disagree with this) with the fact that animal rescuers eating meat are generally eating what is considered "standard every day meat" whereas, I feel like, foie gras is something really different. It's not a common, ever day food and has been banned in some areas.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:41 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Well, hey folks, a lot of us that are hardcore dog rescue do become veg so.... *waves wildly* just hope they'll make the change.

Fois gras is extra sad, though. So incredibly unnecessary and disgusting.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:06 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Desdemona wrote:
linanil wrote:
And me. We will share them, since when we have all the mushrooms, there will be enough for us both.

You guys can definitely have my mushrooms always!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:34 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I get irritated by the strong disregard most omnis feel for vegan/vegetarian food. When I was an omni, I would often eat vegetarian for no other reason than I LIKED the taste of it - only to be asked by people seeing my plate, "are you vegetarian"? As if vegetarian food was so gross, no omni would ever willingly eat it.

And then, an omni I know once said "When people tell me they're vegetarian, I laugh in their faces". It takes all my willpower not to insult him right now.

Another omni I know was telling how he could imagine eating no meat occasionally, but he had found it hard when he went to stay at a vegetarian friend and had to spend three whole days without meat. Three days? Should that really feel like some huge strain?

And then, there's the omni author of "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian", who more or less says in the book's introduction that a vegetarian meal can actually taste quite nice after several meals of having gorged yourself with meat. Only the most extreme meat-lovers would not feel that way, so that does not show that much love of vegetarian food. Why in the world did he choose to write a vegetarian cookbook, because it's fashionable?

In spite of it all, as is the case for others who mentioned it before, the vegan police can get on my nerves more strongly than omnis - there's a vegan forum I won't name that I've stopped visiting, since simply reading so many aggressive, judgemental comments put me in a foul mood every time.

But what soothes me is the kindness of some omnis - when I was an omni myself, I never used to be so thankful about people cooking for me or giving me recipes or things like that: I took it too much for granted. Now I know these people are going out of their way for me, and feel so touched every time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:34 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Minatomachi wrote:
Another omni I know was telling how he could imagine eating no meat occasionally, but he had found it hard when he went to stay at a vegetarian friend and had to spend three whole days without meat. Three days? Should that really feel like some huge strain?

I've had people say similar stuff to me and I've never understood it either, because even when I ate an omni diet I would often go several days (or even weeks) at at time without eating meat and didn't feel especially deprived. So I don't know.

My pet peeve as of late that every single person reading this thread will probably identify with: I am so sick of my boyfriend's brother talking about "happy meat". I don't want to hear it, and there's nothing I can say in response that won't cause an argument. I never talk to him about veganism outside the context of "Do you want to try some of this food I made?" so I wish he didn't feel the need to explain why it's OK that he's eating meat that had a good life etc. etc. Thankfully he's not the type to be all "I can't eat VAYYYYYYGUN food" (he'll eat pretty much anything) but it's still annoying.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:13 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

These aren't really pet peeves but they're related to things we've all complained about in here!

-I was recently talking to a raw vegan and she mentioned how she only feeds her pup raw meat because "dogs have canine teeth for a reason"! Which is true (I mean that they actually can use their canines for that purpose) but it just made me giggle. I've been a part of plenty of conversations (reluctantly) with people about human teeth but never dogs! Then she asked about my pup and I felt super awkward saying he was vegetarian. It was like weird reverse vegan policing!

-I was at a friend's potluck and one of the girls there was paleo. She didn't say any weird paleo stuff but she kept asking me about what was in all of the dishes I brought (I think she thought vegan would be more paleo-friendly, except everything I brought was carbalicious) and then was super duper sad that she couldn't eat anything at the party. I was like, dude, I'VE TOTALLY BEEN THERE! I never thought I would be able to relate to a paleo-er.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:20 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

couroupita wrote:
except everything I brought was carbalicious) and then was super duper sad that she couldn't eat anything at the party. I was like, dude, I'VE TOTALLY BEEN THERE! I never thought I would be able to relate to a paleo-er.

that's really funny. i chuckled out loud at that one cause i can totally visualize the two of you talking and being like OMG I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN!!!

hehehe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:23 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Mr. Shankly wrote:
I think the example that LisaPunk is talking about differs slightly (and some may disagree with this) with the fact that animal rescuers eating meat are generally eating what is considered "standard every day meat" whereas, I feel like, foie gras is something really different. It's not a common, ever day food and has been banned in some areas.

yeah the foie gras really rankled me.
but then we end up delving into the discussion of "levels of cruelty" which i think we already visited.

it's been banned in California where this person lives so they ordered a box somewhere and had it delivered. that's like going above and beyond. like you are putting an extra stamp of approval on the level of cruelty.

i dunno......it really bothered me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:44 am 
Not NOT A Furry

It's like people feel they can't be ethical on all levels at once. At least it's better than completely hard-hearted people. Many people will feel compassion for dogs but not ducks, like including all animals in their compassionate behavior would make their brains explode (that's called laziness, in fact). But I should not judge because I've been incoherent like that for so long. And I'm still incoherent (lazy) about environmental issues.

When I was a child, though, I was troubled that other children thought squashing a spider did not matter. I could not see how one kind of animal was different from another kind. So coherent thinking may be something you sometimes know as a child, unlearn because of the stupid way society works, than have to learn again!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:56 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Our canteen offering vegetarian food which is almost always covered in cheese, and even the vegetable sides are covered in butter and / or cream.
I love peas, why do you have to smother them in cream? While offering potatoes covered in butter? And leeks soup with added mascarpone?
I want cooked vegetables, not a freaking dairy feast.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:21 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Anek wrote:
Our canteen offering vegetarian food which is almost always covered in cheese, and even the vegetable sides are covered in butter and / or cream.
I love peas, why do you have to smother them in cream? While offering potatoes covered in butter? And leeks soup with added mascarpone?
I want cooked vegetables, not a freaking dairy feast.

i feel like this is the problem with most vegetarian offerings that restaurants have. it's great they have vegetarian options but usually it's completely covered in cheese.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:54 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

Food Network often shows vegan bakeries/food trucks...the tag line for every chef/baker commenting 'and it is veggaaannn' with a dumpy look on their face. Seriously. Why so rude?

I made v-day cards yesterday - attached to each wee card was a square of Endangered Species dark chocolate. I had them in a recycled lil paper WF bag. I was passing them out to places that I went to like StarBucks and the PO Box...The PO clerk said "I hope that is not a big mac in there"...I said "no"....I handed her a card and said it was "yummy vegan fair trade chocolate"...She looked at it like I gave her a dirty maxi pad from between my legs...

On a positive note: yesterday the boyfriend's office had v-day cupcakes....no not vegan. However the person who brought them in brought the boyfriend a giant vegan chocolate chip cookie from Sprouts! :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:29 am 
WELFARIST!

I posted a not even very good photo of my dinner last night and a brand new facebook friend (like, just accepted her request hours before) commented on it that I make vegan food look good. Which, whatever, but then a vegan friend commented that this person obviously didn't know the right vegans, which I don't think she meant to sound snarky... But you can guess where it went from there. I was watching a movie while it was going on, so I didn't get to diffuse the situation until after everyone got all butt-hurt. Can't we just say, 'Yummy!' on people's photos if we like them, and if people don't just say 'Yummy!' can we not be one of those vegans that makes everyone think we are jerks, even if we mean well?

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:36 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Cognitive dissonance is why people view eating some animals as ok and others not, or why they help dogs but fail to see why a cow also suffers.

I have the "How to cook Everything Vegetarian" Book. It was a gift. I don't like the intro either, like if you don't like not eating meat so much why make a book about not eating it? The way Mark Bittman writes the recipes out is confusing too. I feel like I read 5 pages and I still don't have step by step instructions on how to make the dish, compounded by the problem that the variations are interwoven into the recipe. Although I do have to say the veggie gravy is awesome, I just subbed earth balance for butter. As is the almond orzo that's a risotto variation.

One thing I always wonder about people who think all vegetarian food is bad, have they never had a hamburger that tasted bad?????? There's plenty of bad tasting meat dishes out there, it's like they have a double standard where vegetarian food has to always be good and meat doesn't? Food is food and food tasting good or bad doesn't really have much to do with if it's vegetarian or not. (Although personaly I never thought meat tasted good unless it was slathered in sauce and veggies) My boyfriend eats meat and he would much rather eat a veggie burger from Quantum Leap because it's good, then a beefburger that tastes bad, because he wants to eat food that tastes good.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:34 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

today is "birthday lunch" at work.
they ordered Italian food.
im sure i could have cobbled something vegan together from the menu and the receptionist totally would have ordered it for me but i just didnt feel like it.

i want to go to WF to pick up a few things and get lunch there.

the CFO just walked by my desk and said "come on Lisa come get some salad"

f you dude. im not a bunny rabbit.
i know im totally overreacting but it's the same shiitake every month.

sad/ironic thing is that i plan on getting a salad at WF but a salad from their salad bar is totally different than a tossed salad with no salad dressing and then i dont have to spend my lunch break sitting in a room full of people i dont really like.

(51 days until i leave here.......technically 50.5.......)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138 ... 533  Next