| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 95  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:15 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

torque wrote:
TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
Kelly wrote:
It's basically like hemorrhaging money all the time to keep up with minimal stuff for school and sports and all of that.

What kind of stuff do you have to buy? (Seriously, I have no idea.)

really, it doesn't even matter, after a while you don't even ask, you just take All the Money and just throw it in the air.

[private school, math lessons, clothes, hobbies requiring expensive materials, sports, travel, cell phones, music downloads, makeup and hair stuff, endless requests for junk food and repeated expectations for eating out all the time. new bicycle, electric guitar, travel expectations.... standardized tests and homeschooling materials.... also, your child is growing and is capable of eating $50 worth of pretty much anything at one sitting.]

$10 for NJHS dues, $9 for history fair tshirt, $30 with of cardstock glue backing paper etc for history fair project, $6 for lunch at history fair, $10 worth of soda to donate for them to se to raise money for history fair, $20 near (clearance) khakis for interview judging-outgrew last pair, $15 new soccer shinguards-outgrew last pair, $5 for valentines dance, $5 for drink/food at dance.... That's what I can remember of the past WEEK. Everyone we knew spent far more on history fair supplies and spending money during it, plus went to the indoor sports place and movies and out to eat and we didn't do any of that. We don't live in an affluent area and none of this kids are from well off families.

This week I bought Silas a $4 tshirt and a $3 smoothie when we were late going home bc of taxi-ing Shae around.

Obviously we could have skipped all of these things, but they are valuable learning and social experiences. We try to balance the more important events and skip all the other stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:47 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

My partner and I had planned to have 2 kids. My husband is an only child, and while he doesn't think it's actually a bad thing, he really wanted to have more than one child. More than 2 just seemed overwhelming. So when I found out that I was pregnant with twins for pregnancy #2, both of us needed a lot of time to process this. It just had never even occurred to me that I could get pregnant with more than one. I plan to get my tubes tied as part of the c-section for these twins since we are very sure that we are done having children. I had even looked into a so-called "reduction" for the twins, but I couldn't quite bring myself to do it (plus, finding a facility that will perform twin reductions is rare). So, family with three kids it will be.

I'm definitely worried about the costs of three kids. In the near future, there's preschool. I'm not even looking at anything too fancy, just a local small nursery school that's in walking distance from our house, and costs are much higher than I expected for just 2 or 3 mornings per week. Frankly, I'm such an introvert that I'm terrible at arranging playdates for my kid, so this seems like the best way for my daughter to get used to being with other kids her age. Also, I'd like some time with just the twins.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:14 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Kelly wrote:
$10 for NJHS dues, $9 for history fair tshirt, $30 with of cardstock glue backing paper etc for history fair project, $6 for lunch at history fair, $10 worth of soda to donate for them to se to raise money for history fair, $20 near (clearance) khakis for interview judging-outgrew last pair, $15 new soccer shinguards-outgrew last pair, $5 for valentines dance, $5 for drink/food at dance.... That's what I can remember of the past WEEK. Everyone we knew spent far more on history fair supplies and spending money during it, plus went to the indoor sports place and movies and out to eat and we didn't do any of that. We don't live in an affluent area and none of this kids are from well off families.

This week I bought Silas a $4 tshirt and a $3 smoothie when we were late going home bc of taxi-ing Shae around.

Obviously we could have skipped all of these things, but they are valuable learning and social experiences. We try to balance the more important events and skip all the other stuff.

Dang!!! No wonder all my low-income friends with lots of kids homeschool! ;D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:45 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
Kelly wrote:

Dang!!! No wonder all my low-income friends with lots of kids homeschool! ;D

I paid for all that kind of stuff with my own babysitting money, or I got a scholarship (I did ski club and summer camps through the town rec department, but for free because we were so very low income). And then when I turned 16 and could work full time in the summer and part time during the school year, I paid for most of my clothes and all of my recreation. Working was not a bad experience; at that age I wanted to be out of the house as much as possible, and I liked having money I could spend any way I wanted.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:45 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Hey all, I have three baby-carriers I am done with and want to pass along to someone who could actually use them.
#1: A Cuddly Wrap - it's a Canadian brand of Moby Wrap. This one is navy blue, and I used it for about four months, until Zeph was too much of a tank for me to comfortably wear him. I would feel good using this up to about 16 lbs or so, so a smaller baby.
#2: A Star Sling. It's a size small, brown, pocket sling. Would be ideal for a small mum with a newborn.
#3: A wheat-coloured Sakura Bloom sling. So wonderful. I am so reluctant to give it away - it was expensive, especially to get to Canada! - and I expected to use it much longer. Anyway, this little guy got too heavy way faster than my first did, so I used it for about three months. Some people use these with toddlers, but I'm not really up for that. It's made of linen, and very pretty!

Here is a link to photos if any of you pregnant mamas or mamas of smaller babies are interested! http://lagom.imgur.com/all/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:34 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

bodhi, I'm super interested in the Sakura sling (only if you're really willing to part with it). I'll PM you.

BTW, it says your photos are not publicly viewable.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:42 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ScandinaVegan wrote:
bodhi, I'm super interested in the Sakura sling (only if you're really willing to part with it). I'll PM you.

BTW, it says your photos are not publicly viewable.

Eeep, just set the photos to public! Thanks, didn't notice that before.

I definitely won't be using the sling anymore, so even though it's wonderful, I am totally ready to part with it. I want someone to use it! I'll get back to you via PM when I have another moment, just gotta make the kids some lunch and do some reading with them first.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:08 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

soooo I'm not sure what to say about this but:
we have a few (like 5) friends with facial tattoos. Last night we had an awesome hangout session with a one of these friends that Dahlia really loves, and welp, today Dahlia took a sharpie and "tattooed" her own face. I'm sure I'm not the only parent who has had this happen, but I'm still glad that we have almost 48 hours before she needs to go out anywhere.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:15 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Hehe. Are you having any luck getting it off?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:19 pm 

I haven't actually seen it yet - I'm at work and awaiting cell phone pics hahah. Oh this will be a great story when she's older.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:12 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh that is too cute! Can't wait to see pictures!

When I was dating someone who had a ton of tattoos my nieces used to ask to see his "cartoons." It was cute.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:21 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

When my goddaughter (then aged 4) first met my flatmate, who is heavily tattooed, she stage-whispered to her mum "why has Jo's friend got paintings on him?"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:51 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Guys, I found this piece to be very helpful - it's a really nice summary of the do's and don'ts of pregnancy. Sorry if already posted somewhere! http://m.jezebel.com/5960255/how-to-hav ... nancy-ever

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:41 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

sofrito wrote:
Guys, I found this piece to be very helpful - it's a really nice summary of the do's and don'ts of pregnancy. Sorry if already posted somewhere! http://m.jezebel.com/5960255/how-to-hav ... nancy-ever

OMG, I love you so much. And that article.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:35 am 
Bathes in Braggs

excellent!!! great article sofrito :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:53 am 
And you never will.

Totally passing that article along to every pregnant woman I know, ever!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:55 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Is it okay that Walter spends 80% of his waking hours looking at books? All we do is read. I read to him, I go do something else and he looks at books alone, I read to him some more... He has toys, but he doesn't play with them much. When we talk at least half our conversations are about things from books. We went to the library today and got new books, and then we stayed to see a musician performing children's music, but all Walter wanted to do was sit facing away from the musician (and other kids) and look at his new books. He is definitely an introvert, and I see him using reading as a way to escape loud, stressful social situations. I think once he learns to read to himself I will never hear a peep from him again.

Does anyone else have a kid like this? Were they like this at 2? Reading is good, so I should just keep reading to him for hours every day, right?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:23 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

mittenmacher wrote:
Is it okay that Walter spends 80% of his waking hours looking at books? All we do is read. I read to him, I go do something else and he looks at books alone, I read to him some more... He has toys, but he doesn't play with them much. When we talk at least half our conversations are about things from books. We went to the library today and got new books, and then we stayed to see a musician performing children's music, but all Walter wanted to do was sit facing away from the musician (and other kids) and look at his new books. He is definitely an introvert, and I see him using reading as a way to escape loud, stressful social situations. I think once he learns to read to himself I will never hear a peep from him again.

Does anyone else have a kid like this? Were they like this at 2? Reading is good, so I should just keep reading to him for hours every day, right?

Go Walter!!

Beetroot was really into books for a while and it's led him to teaching himself to read really early (he didn't talk until he was about 2 and a half, but when he did, we realised he could read about 20 words) and now being master of the internet. He could really give a shiitake about toys -- seriously, ours are mostly ignored (good thing they were all second-hand and cheap) -- and would rather spend all his spare time perusing http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/. I shiitake you not, he is on that site every day, giving us updates about what trains you can take where and which stops are in-between. He doesn't care about toy trains or Thomas the Tank Engine or train books, he just wants to ride real trains and surf the National Rail website. When he meets people, he asks what their nearest train station is.

Oh, and he reads books to Raygold sometimes, and he still likes being read to (especially chapter books).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:35 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Mitten, that's awesome. I spent most of my life up to a certain point with my head tucked into a book, and it didn't hurt me none, so I'm giving Walter's book-obsession my personal stamp of approval.

E is really into books and went through a phase where literally all he wanted to do all day was have me read him books. We would read for 2 or 3 hours straight sometimes. Now he wants to spend some time in the day being read to, but probably a larger amount of time looking at books himself.

(What I think is really interesting in E's case is that he actually developed the first thing needed for reading (letter recognition) very late compared to a lot of his age peers. He only really started consistently recognizing letters other than the ones in his names recently.. like... a few weeks ago? )

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:42 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Ha, Beetroot is awesome. That's such a cool and math-y interest.

I hope my post didn't come across as a backhanded boast. I'm honestly a little concerned about him socially. His behavior is within the range of normal--I don't feel I need to talk to his doctor or anything--but he is just so much quieter and more subdued and cautious than other kids his age, boys especially. Being a quiet bookish type can be hard when boys are socialized to be loud and physical and aggressive.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:47 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

C&S, that's interesting. Walter's in no hurry to learn his letters, either. He knows 3 or 4 of them, but for him reading is more about developing language (we talk over and over and over again about what happened in his books) and maybe about studying social relationships. He is always really preoccupied with who in the story is the mom, who are these children, and who is this lady with the hat? Makes sense that an introvert would be more comfortable with book people than real people.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:00 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

mittenmacher wrote:
Ha, Beetroot is awesome. That's such a cool and math-y interest.

I hope my post didn't come across as a backhanded boast. I'm honestly a little concerned about him socially. His behavior is within the range of normal--I don't feel I need to talk to his doctor or anything--but he is just so much quieter and more subdued and cautious than other kids his age, boys especially. Being a quiet bookish type can be hard when boys are socialized to be loud and physical and aggressive.

I wouldn't be concerned at all -- if he doesn't grow out of it, well, being bookish and on the shy side is just fine, if you ask me! (My husband was bookish and shy when I met him -- he's made a lot of progress on not being as shy, though, after being married to a loudmouth like me for so long.) Walter might totally grow out of it, though. Beetroot was really really shy from about 18 months to...maybe 3? He would fold himself in half (and sometimes cry) if people asked him questions or tried to talk to him and he would not really talk to anyone other than me, Mr Crabby, and Raygold. He has always been really independent and was very good at playing quietly by himself. But now he's a huge chatterbox and really outgoing and never does anything quietly!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:02 pm 

aww I love hearing about Walter's love of books too! And like c&s, reading for me was a very important activity - I still kinda don't "get" people who don't read books! - so I say, good for him...Especially because he's learning so much about relationships from reading too.
I hear you on the social (or non-social) aspect of it though. I'm noticing that D is much more of an observer and honestly reluctant to get involved with play with other kids. I've said elsewhere that she is kinda shocked/horrified by loud boisterous kids and just wants to stare at them. I would guess that both D and Walter will grow out of this, somewhat, even if they remain introverted and hey, in the meantime, we can start a mild-mannered PPKids group!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:06 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Woot! Read those books, Walter! Learning language and math skills, close time with Mama..what's not to love?

Freya has days already where she will want to read and read (often the same two books over and over), but it's not everyday, so far. Only thing she wants to do every day = go to the park and feed the ducks. Seriously, I may have to start buying extra bread :p

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:42 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I was a total bookworm as a kid and did my own thing too, and I grew up to be an extroverted introvert, if that makes sense. Like, I'm comfortable in social situations and most people think of me as outgoing, but I'm happiest laying low at home. So... who knows how he will turn out!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 95  Next