| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 84  Next
 Post subject: Re: Women who have chosen not to have kids
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:04 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Olives wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:
I agree that it's kind of offensive to say that willingness to have an abortion = hardcore.

Yup, this.

yeah, it is kind of offensive. I would have an abortion if I got pregnant by accident but didn't feel it was the right time, or if I didn't want to have kids at that point. That in no way influences the fact that there might be another time when I got pregnant by accident and decided I did want to proceed with the pregnancy.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:29 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I think SC just meant that there is a difference between people who don't try to get pregnant but if they did accidentally, would keep it, and people who would not keep the baby no matter what their circumstances are. Like if you had a supportive partner, all of the money and resources you would need, and a supportive family/network of friends, you still wouldn't carry a baby to term because you really do not want kids, versus someone who may want kids at some point but they choose to terminate a pregnancy because the time isn't right.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:30 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

mrsbadmouth wrote:
I think SC just meant that there is a difference between people who don't try to get pregnant but if they did accidentally, would keep it, and people who would not keep the baby no matter what their circumstances are. Like if you had a supportive partner, all of the money and resources you would need, and a supportive family/network of friends, you still wouldn't carry a baby to term because you really do not want kids, versus someone who may want kids at some point but they choose to terminate a pregnancy because the time isn't right.

That's what I understood, too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:24 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

mrsbadmouth wrote:
I think SC just meant

SC = CQ, I think?

But yes, I appreciate your re-framing. It was how I understood it as well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:55 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

heh, i went to high school with the author of two of the webcomics posted in this thread. she's quite a character.

i haven't gotten too much pressure from family or friends (yet?). i think i've made it clear to my mom that i don't want kids, although when i was talking about wanting to adopt a cat she piped up about toxoplasmosis "just in case you get pregnant". i haven't broached the subject with the in-laws, but they have two 20-something daughters of their own, so hopefully that'll take some of the focus off me.

some of you may be aware of the same-sex marriage legislation making its way through UK government. there's a lot of national discussion about the subject right now, including many socially conservative commentators espousing the idea that marriage is an institution primarily for the raising of children. Mr Ketchup thinks it's silly, but i am somewhat concerned that this notion is going to develop into a cultural shift that puts procreation (or at least parenthood) even more at the forefront of marriage than it is already. i wouldn't mind so much if, y'know, marriage weren't necessary for us to live together in the same country.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:29 pm 

~Sz wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:
I think SC just meant

SC = CQ, I think?

nope. 'twas me.

and i meant it as an opt-in definition, (and that's also why i added an alternative "childfree for life" option instead of "hardcore") it was my way of saying that the people who call less dedicated childfree folks "fencesitters" or "childfree by choice/circumstances" should adopt the extra definitive instead of the people who aren't completely sure about the future. if you're at least 51% sure you're going to be childfree for life, there's no reason why you shouldn't be allowed to call yourselves simply "childfree" while you're actively avoiding instead of using those extra descriptors that the 100% certain people want you to use.

like we're all vegans no matter what. if we choose to no longer be vegan in the future, that doesn't negate all the vegan-ness we had in the past. that obviously doesn't make us vegans in that moment, but we can still say we used to be vegan. the same with childfree. there's no reason we shouldn't be allowed to say we used to be childfree. people change, and that's okay.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:47 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Obviously people have different ideas about whether they would choose abortion or not, I just don't like the idea of framing abortion as some sort of extreme action when it's a really simple choice for a lot of people.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:23 pm 

but don't worry about that. think of it in the way that i'm not allowed to call myself hardcore or childfree for life because i am uncomfortable with it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:13 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

So am I the only one who when says she isn't planning on having kids gets the response, "Good!"?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:17 pm 

ndpittman wrote:
So am I the only one who when says she isn't planning on having kids gets the response, "Good!"?

Depends on who I'm talking to. I've definitely had people tell me I'm making the right choice, especially from parents of toddlers. LOL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:28 pm 

Moon wrote:
ndpittman wrote:

Depends on who I'm talking to. I've definitely had people tell me I'm making the right choice, especially from parents of toddlers. LOL

Usually it's my parents who tell me that, ha! People at work just assume I will have kids once Wilson comes back, but I'm just not interested. Like many of you, I feel kind of guilty for not being interested. I like kids sometimes, but I don't want to be entirely responsible for one. I feel the same way with pets. I loved when I lived with people who had kitties. It meant snuggles and no litter box cleaning or vet bills. I think I'm just too selfish to have children. I can deal with considering Wilson's wants and needs when I think about things, but it might be my limit. Also, I hate sharing my toys.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:03 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

strawberryrock wrote:
Obviously people have different ideas about whether they would choose abortion or not, I just don't like the idea of framing abortion as some sort of extreme action when it's a really simple choice for a lot of people.

I am picturing it as being an event televised on ESPN 24--EXTREME Abortion! Sponsored by MOUNTAIN DEWWWWW!! *guitar solo*

I think you're right though, in that we need to normalize abortion, and that it really isn't an extreme act. It's, in fact, a lot less extreme than continuing a pregnancy.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:08 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

j-dub wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:

I am picturing it as being an event televised on ESPN 24--EXTREME Abortion! Sponsored by MOUNTAIN DEWWWWW!! *guitar solo*

If abortion were like that I would get them all the time! Can I get one while I'm on a skateboard?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:33 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

strawberryrock wrote:
j-dub wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:

If abortion were like that I would get them all the time! Can I get one while I'm on a skateboard?

Dude, you HAVE to be on a skateboard to get one. Or a RAZR scooter!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:57 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

j-dub wrote:
Dude, you HAVE to be on a skateboard to get one. Or a RAZR scooter!

or on a pogo stick...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:27 am 

*sigh* i wasn't saying the practice of abortion is extreme. :-/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:52 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

strawberryrock wrote:
j-dub wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:

I want my abortion to be sponsored by Red Bull. And I want to be on a bmx bike.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:58 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Olives wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:
j-dub wrote:

I want my abortion to be sponsored by Red Bull. And I want to be on a bmx bike.
Yes! This thread is finally getting somewhere!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:02 pm 

Desdemona wrote:
Yes! This thread is finally getting somewhere!

Progress!™

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:23 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

*whew* i've been reading for hours and i finally got to page 19! just in time to accidentally step on the abortion jokes! i have fantastic timing.

i found this thread late last night and was surprised (and a little intimidated/worried) by how long it was for how new it was.... reading it (basically) all in one go was certainly an experience.

now that i'm at the end i'm a little spent, so i'll just say for now that i'm 38, have no kiddos, and don't plan to have any. i've been married since i was 24 (my husband is 4 years older) and we just always were in the "i'm not sure what will happen in the long run, but i definitely don't have a strong desire to be a parent" camp. also, we're both professors so we were extremely worried about getting tenure, and agreed that if (big if) we ever had kids that it wouldn't be until after we had tenure.

meanwhile my sister (who lives in the same town) had two beautiful daughters, and we've had a front row seat on parenting for the past 8+ years. it made us feel, on many many many occasions, that we were making the right decision for us.

sometimes i feel like we are too lazy or too preoccupied or too damaged or something to be parents; i feel like we're sensitive to the societal view that everyone should want to be parents, and worry something is wrong with us. but i strongly agree that it's better to regret not having kids than to regret having them, and i also feel like you probably shouldn't have kids if you aren't feeling a strong desire to have them. i think babies are adorable and toddlers are cute and kids are hilarious and teenagers are awesome (at least, they all *can* be those things), but that doesn't mean i want to live with one or be responsible for one's well-being at all times. the idea terrifies me, quite honestly.

i like the idea of being the cool auntie, too. i try my very best.

and i totes want to live in supercarrot's retirement home when i get old!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:34 pm 

I agree with everything you said, bluedawg. Same is true for me for the most part, except I don't live in the same town as my brother which is a bummer because I'd love to see his kids more often. Well, mostly. His girls are on a big screaming kick, which makes Aunt Nicole feel very tired.

Another layer is being a step-parent, which is really a trip. I love my stepdaughter, but I'm glad I don't have to make the rules or be responsible for her. I feel guilty saying that, but I am just figuring out how to take care of myself!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:59 am 
Tofu Pup

Where should the PPK retirement home be, and can I get my name o the waiting list now???

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:08 am 

somewhere relatively warmish or at least temperate, (i was thinking somewhere just south of portland. the east coast has had too many hurricanes lately, and it'll probably get worse so i don't think that's a good idea. also the winter vs summer temperatures swing too wildly.) it needs enough land to have a big orchard and farm, but close enough to other people so they can use the vet's office and buy stuff from our bakery which will be called "not your grandma's" and we can also have a pretty landscaped area so wedding parties can have their photos taken.) i am assuming a lot of us won't have the money to keep it going, so we'll need to offer services to the community. we can have a thrift store on the grounds too, so we don't have to worry about having estate sales, we can just bring our valuable crepe with us and sell it there. oh, a little grocery co-op would be a good idea too.

our kitchen will be huge, and we'll have special closets for our fermentation projects, and of course another closet full of our vitamixes and kitchenaid mixers in case the ones we're using on the reg break down.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:57 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm glad to see this thread didn't get locked and is back on track.

bluedawg wrote:
societal view that everyone should want to be parents, and worry something is wrong with us. but i strongly agree that it's better to regret not having kids than to regret having them, and i also feel like you probably shouldn't have kids if you aren't feeling a strong desire to have them. i think babies are adorable and toddlers are cute and kids are hilarious and teenagers are awesome (at least, they all *can* be those things), but that doesn't mean i want to live with one or be responsible for one's well-being at all times. the idea terrifies me, quite honestly.

Great post, bd!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:57 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I want to live on the PPK commune. We just need to convince the US government to let me move into the country!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 84  Next