| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1301, 1302, 1303, 1304, 1305, 1306, 1307 ... 1901  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:02 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Made plans weeks ago to go out with a friend and our respective significant others tonight for dinner to celebrate being done with this unit's test. I'm not feeling it. I have a terrible headache and am super tired. She was initially really gung-ho about wanting to go to a bar afterwards, but I'm hoping that she'll be tired, too and want to call it a rather early evening.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:04 pm 
WELFARIST!

ndpittman wrote:
lutin wrote:
kilgore trout wrote:
On my end, I'm wishing I could unsend an email that I sent last night. WHY is not an 'unsend' button (for emails AND texts!) for the moment after you hit 'send' and then realize maybe you shouldn't have? Oh, right, real life consequences, but still. Just occasionally, I would like a do-over.

Once upon a time, gmail labs let you install that feature (by artificially delaying the sending? not sure). If you have gmail, you might see if you can still use it.

It's still available in google labs! I set it up for my work email, just in case!

It's called Google Goggles and it's made to stop drunk emails. It gives you a series of math questions before it allows you to send out your email. Not good for those of you who are better at math after drinking.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:16 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

More fighting with the 19 year old. He hangs out with a set of friends that are a horrible influence.
Although I think he is about to have a big break through.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:32 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Mr. Shankly wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
Once upon a time, gmail labs let you install that feature (by artificially delaying the sending? not sure). If you have gmail, you might see if you can still use it.

It's still available in google labs! I set it up for my work email, just in case!

It's called Google Goggles and it's made to stop drunk emails. It gives you a series of math questions before it allows you to send out your email. Not good for those of you who are better at math after drinking.[/quote]
There is another one that lets you "undo" the email for maybe 5 seconds after setting.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:36 pm 
WELFARIST!

5 seconds is so short!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:29 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Well this sucks. Problem with having to wear daily disposable contacts now is that when I wake up and can't go back to sleep, I can't do anything since I cant see. No Netflix, no Civ V, no going upstairs for water (can't see plus unstable leg would probably mean me managing to kill myself on the stairs).

Hrmph. Probably using iPad 3" from my face is a bad idea too.

You really can't sleep in these things at all. I fell asleep for an hour after work and my eyes ended up almost glued shut and then despite half a bottle of drops felt like rocks until I took them out. I want my monthlies back.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:11 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I bought gorgeous purple flowers at the market today (they're vibrant violet, like my favorite krishnaphal in Uttarkashi, India) and the young man who sold them to me was very cute, and very sweet, and gave me a discount. I am not used to Dutch market people giving discounts, and certainly not as much as he gave me. I think I "should" be upset, but instead I am sweetly charmed.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:30 am 
Chard Martyr

So last night I told an acquaintance that he was looking well and he said he's doing paleo and said I should try it. I said vegan is fine for me right now, thanks, and then he said how unhealthy vegan is and how our other friend got sick from it and is now allergic to wheat and I just had to break in and say hey I know this works for you and what I do works for me, I wish you continued success with it. And left. It was mind-blowing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:30 am 
WELFARIST!

You had a great response, Meggs! It seems like a lot of the people who like to tell vegans that their diet is unhealthy are people who are on fad diets. Way back when I first went vegan there was this assistant at my school who was one of those people who tried every fad diet and at that time she was currently on the South Beach diet. When she found out that I was vegan she arrogantly said,"Ugh! Veganism is unhealthy!" I just gave her a look like, 'what are you? nuts?' and walked away.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:32 am 
Dead by dawn

Meggs wrote:
So last night I told an acquaintance that he was looking well and he said he's doing paleo and said I should try it. I said vegan is fine for me right now, thanks, and then he said how unhealthy vegan is and how our other friend got sick from it and is now allergic to wheat and I just had to break in and say hey I know this works for you and what I do works for me, I wish you continued success with it. And left. It was mind-blowing.

You should have told him you were a Chard Martyr. And blown his mind.

What is is about paleo that makes people think everyone wants their nutritional advice?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:40 pm 
WELFARIST!

This is totally random but I just remembered a really funny situation that I was a part of and wanted to tell people. I had a 6 hour train ride and wanted to make some food to eat during it and one of the things I made was beet burgers. I didn't bring bread with me because that would have been difficult and I don't really like my burgers on bread so I just put them in a little baggy. Towards the end of the trip I started to eat some and there was a woman on the train who kept staring at me. I had to try so hard not to laugh every time she looked at me because I'm pretty sure she thought I was eating raw beef out of a bag. Gross but hilarious.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:42 pm 
WELFARIST!

Bahahaha

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:35 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

One of my favorite little things:

Molly always crawls all over me or sits on my shoulder or whatever, but sometimes, she settles in for a longer rest or snuggle. She fluffs all her feathers against my neck, sidles up closer and semi leans against me, purrs a little, and then after a few minutes, her feet gradually warm up. It's so cute.

Birds have hot feet!

I made an orange carrot smoothie. It was yumminess, but she ran away from it. Usually she has some of my smoothies. Wonder what was repellent about this one?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:11 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Learning to speak Old English is sort of the same thing as doing econ homework and writing a summer research proposal, right?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:09 pm 

I only ever buy unscented deodorant, but I ran out and they were having a huge sale and all the unscented was sold out so I got some awful "shower fresh" bullshiitake. I feel like I'm poisoning myself just sitting here. With a sweater on!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:33 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Man, now I'm really broke. Mom "made" me buy glasses. Went to Costco to order my contacts and to see if they can put new lenses in my old frames. The old frames are lovely (black Chanel cat eyes), but no longer suit my face since it's not round anymore.

Mom made me try on frames, and I did just for the hell of it. I was trying purple ones and rounder ones and she handed me a squarish kind of red/brown pair, and I couldn't stop smiling. They are the most perfect glasses ever. So, I'll have glasses for the first time in about 8-10 years. Hopefully I can wear them out of the house (problem is looking down when I walk).

Me being me, of course this managed to be the expensive Gucci frame, but the whole thing was only $220! The cheapest glasses I've ever had, probably. I'm so used to my lenses costing an absolute fortune (last pair, the Chanel frames were free but the lenses were jaw dropping.y expensive at Lens Crafters)

Are lenses just cheaper in general now, or do high prescriptions just not cost a fortune extra anymore?

I'm excited! They are so pretty and look great with my new hair. I never thought Id be excited about glasses.

My mother is not a good influence (she paid half though because she is too nice and generous and she figured she was complicit)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:16 pm 
Impressive boner

We're moving out of our house in about 5 weeks and I have house hunting woe.

I begrudge paying a letting agent money for doing little more than filing a form and requesting a credit check, however there are woefully few nice properties in the area on Gumtree. If there's nothing in the next property section of the local newspaper I think we might have to bite the proverbial bullet and visit a letting agent. Bah!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:12 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I'm thinking beer + muscle relaxers are a bad idea for dinner. But that's kind of all I want.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:27 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Yea, LW!! I'm glad she made you get some. I was going to suggest that, but I didn't know regarding prices. I got a reasonable pair online for under $100 at lookmatic.com. I think there are cheaper places as well. The price you paid for that quality though is outstanding. I'm so glad for you. I love being able to give my eyes a break with glasses. (I, too, have Chanel frames that I got updated, but I don't like wearing them just around the house, so I got a second cheaper pair at lookmatic.)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:29 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Uh, yeah. Those things have pretty serious warnings about not taking with alcohol! At least any alive ever had do. If it were me (and why I take them occasionally), Id do heating pad and beer, then muscle relaxer.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:37 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

ndpittman wrote:
Yea, LW!! I'm glad she made you get some. I was going to suggest that, but I didn't know regarding prices. I got a reasonable pair online for under $100 at lookmatic.com. I think there are cheaper places as well. The price you paid for that quality though is outstanding. I'm so glad for you. I love being able to give my eyes a break with glasses. (I, too, have Chanel frames that I got updated, but I don't like wearing them just around the house, so I got a second cheaper pair at lookmatic.)

Yeah, I'm just so used to glasses costing $3-400, that I wasn't considering it since they aren't going to be an everyday thing.

My prescription has gone down since I was a kid, so that's helped. My parents spent an absolute fortune on glasses for me, esp between 4th and 7th grade when not only did the lenses cost the earth, I needed new ones every 4-5 months, plus all the times glasses were broken on my face in gym glass when kids would deliberately smash balls into my face (at least three times that I remember).

It's also exciting because I could never have nice frames. When I was a kid, I always had a choice between one or two super ugly, sturdy frames because nothing else would hold the lenses. Once I got a frame that was cuter, but not ideal and the lenses popped out all the time.

I always feel for the kiddos with thick glasses. I'm so glad they don't have to suffer with the 2" thick lenses these days!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:42 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Geez, kids are such jerks. I'm lucky that my eyes aren't terrible. I definitely used to have to get a new pair every year as my prescription got worse. They seem to have leveled off though, thank goodness.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:48 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I was born several months early, and back in the 70s, they didn't bandage baby's eyes in the incubators. That's why I'm so near-sighted. So really, I can't complain. Medical miracle vs a wee bit of myopia.

It was weird. Hit me when I was in first grade over a couple weeks. Suddenly I couldn't see the eye chart at all. I don't even remember being freaked out. I just remember having to sit an inch from the TV to watch CHiPs. (why did I like that when I was 7?)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:02 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

lavawitch wrote:
I just remember having to sit an inch from the TV to watch CHiPs. (why did I like that when I was 7?)

Duh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:21 pm 

lavawitch wrote:
Me being me, of course this managed to be the expensive Gucci frame, but the whole thing was only $220! The cheapest glasses I've ever had, probably. I'm so used to my lenses costing an absolute fortune (last pair, the Chanel frames were free but the lenses were jaw dropping.y expensive at Lens Crafters)

I think Lens Crafters is also crazy expensive. I went in looking for glasses, found frames I liked (about $220, yikes!), asked about the lenses and was told the lenses themself would be $340!! Went online to Clearly Contacts and paid $165 for the whole shebang! And I'm pretty sure my lenses were about $20 of that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1301, 1302, 1303, 1304, 1305, 1306, 1307 ... 1901  Next