| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Margarita cupcakes (VCTOTW)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:33 am 
ugh

Question1: My sister would like me to bake these cupcakes for her birthday, but she's too young for the booze. Any suggestions to replace the tequila? I've found other recipes that recommend replacing it with margarita mix, but I know vegan recipes can be a bit touchy.

Question 2: My previous attempts at making these have resulted in very runny, though delicious, icing. Would more sugar fix that? Or more EB?

Question 3: Where do you guys buy pretty colored sugars to decorate with?

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

Post subject: Re: Margarita cupcakes (VCTOTW)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:38 am 
Inflexitarian

Q1: I say just give her the booze. I've fed these to five-year-olds (oops!), and it really doesn't matter... there's hardly any booze in them.

Q2: Yeah, the icing is crazy. Double the sugar or halve the liquid (I recommend the latter so you don't end up with waaaay too much frosting... this has the added benefit of cutting back on the booze).

Q3: I just use regular grocery store colored sugar, but maybe that's not actually vegan? If you have your own food coloring, I think you could buy sugar in the raw and color it yourself using a drop or two of food color and mixing it in little plastic baggies.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:50 am 
ugh

You're probably right about the tequila, but I'm worried that her friends' parents won't be okay with it. And if it's such a small amount, the recipe should still taste ok without it... right?

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:57 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I haven't made these in a long time and I don't have the recipe in front of me, but I remember that after my first attempt with the icing I switched to doing a firmer buttercream type frosting with the lime-y/tequila-y flavors instead. It worked great.

I've seen people suggest a lightly flavored rose water concoction as a tequila sub, but I feel like that could get realllll weird. Maybe an agave/water mix with like the tiniest drop of rose water possible? I'm not sure.

As for the sugar, I use the India Tree kind. The package looks like this:

But you can definitely tint your own if you have some coarse sugar. Just a dab of food coloring (gel is best!) and swish/rub with your fingers to distribute.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:57 am 
ugh

Interesting, I wouldn't have thought of rose water. Thank you both for the tips!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:31 am 
And you never will.

I haven't made those cupcakes so I don't have a suggestion for the tequila sub, but I did want to offer a word of caution re: colored sugars. Pretty much all of the ones I come across now contain confectioner's glaze, so be sure to read the ingredients. So gross and unnecessary.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:48 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

If I were leaving out the booze, I'd probably just sub with more citrus juice - lemon wouldn't be exactly close to tequila, but they do both have a "bite" to them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:14 pm 
ugh

I ended up replacing the tequila in the batter with orange juice, and threw in some orange zest as well. Turned out pretty good! For the icing I just left out the tequila entirely and added a dash of cayenne for bite. Tasted pretty good and the consistency turned out much better - if I make this w/tequila again, I'll probably reduce the amounts of all the liquid.

I totally failed at dying the sugar because I used demarara and it was way too dark already to take on the color. What was I thinking trying to dye it blue? I think it would do okay with red or orange.

Thanks again for the help, everybody!