| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Madrid - Feb 22-23 :)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:45 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Hey ppkers! I am going to be in Madrid on the afternoon of February 22 and all day on the 23 (I fly out to Almeria and Carbonaras on the 24). What must I absolutely eat? What must I see in 24 hours? Please keep in mind I am likely going to be extremely jet-lagged haha. I think I am staying downtown?? I am at the Hotel SHERATON MADRID MIRASIERRA. Thanks ppk!

Post subject: Re: Madrid - Feb 22-23 :)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:27 pm 
Tofu Pup

hi robynn!you're lucky, I live in Madrid :)!actually your hotel is not exactly downtown, but luckily there's a underground line near there!to eat: b13, in downtown, you must try their cakes mmm!it's completely vegan, here's their website http://www.b13bar.com/p/english.html, check the opening times!and Artemisa and Yerbabuena are good vegetarian restaurants with vegan options, the last one is quite expensive, though.
to see: it depends on what you like!if you enjoy arts and museums there are reina sofia and prado, if you check the opening times you can see that the entrance is free some day/hour of the week!if you prefer nature, retiro is a big park and a good option if you are suffering jet lag :). There are also palacio real etc etc. but you can find information in any tourist guide. Personally I would recommend you to have a walk in Lavapies district to have a different vision of Madrid :) it is also good if you are willing to have some drinks at night, there's great atmosphere, or you could also go to Malasaña (Metro Tribunal) if you do like hipsters :P!I hope I helped you, if I'm free in these days it would be great to have a beer and sightseeing!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:29 am 
Saggy Butt

Lavapies is also where the vegan store is located, i think?
We really liked the raw restaurant, Crucina. Also good were Yerbabuena, La Biotika, El Vergel and... I can't remember the rest but we ate at so many great places in Madrid.
If you don't have much time i would probably spend a few hours at reina sofia or prado and spend the rest of the time just walking around. Madrid is amazing!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:48 pm 

Thank you for the help tifacrust and inceptisol! I think I will definitely check out the Lavapies district since you both mentioned it, and hopefully a couple of other places from your lists! I would love to meet up with you as well, time permitting! Myself and another woman are going to be there together (we are headed to the same place) - she's not vegan but I think she would be open to checking out at least one vegan place.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:02 pm 
Nailed to the V

Madrid!!!! unexpected vegan paradise! Isla del tesoro and granero de lavapies were my favourite!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:40 pm 
Nailed to the V

Oh and of course Vegania (avoid the burger, it looks sad).
and B13 for a vegan tortilla.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:49 pm 
Nailed to the V

inceptisol wrote:
Lavapies is also where the vegan store is located, i think?
We really liked the raw restaurant, Crucina. Also good were Yerbabuena, La Biotika, El Vergel and... I can't remember the rest but we ate at so many great places in Madrid.
If you don't have much time i would probably spend a few hours at reina sofia or prado and spend the rest of the time just walking around. Madrid is amazing!

Yes, the store is called Planeta vegano, it used to be 42 Calle Ave Maria but it has moved (further up in that street);
somewhat further down there is a place called Viva Chapata, it's an omni bar but they offer vegan options every day (lunch menu del dia) and ciabatta pizza; they are very nice and also have good wines and a special vegan beer :)

in the neighbourhood there is also a bar named Kunin but I'm not sure its still open.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:50 pm 
Nailed to the V

(sorry for beeing overenthusiastic. Actually I was there yesterday and already nostalgic)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:50 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I might go to Madrid in april, so I'm keeping my eye on this thread!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:02 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

Madrid! all you need is chufa and snacks in a hostel somewhere :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:50 am 
Nailed to the V

:)

(OMG I can't believe I haven't had Horchata for WEEKS!)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:01 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Maoz has some pretty serious falafel. It's a chain, obviously, but the food is great.

Heladeria Ricci has a couple flavors of soy gelato. If I remember correctly, Pizzatecca is nearby, and they have a vegan pizza on the menu. Really good!

I went to Spain last year and ate soooooo much bread, but there are definitely better vegan options if you work hard to find them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:19 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

hey! I live in madrid, actually in the same lavapies district that has all of the awesome vegatarian restaurants/international restaurants that have a lot of incidentally vegan foods.

maoz, is, I say with a heavy heart, unfortunately closed now. but! I just ate today at b13 for the first time, and would definitely second it. it's really cheap, and has a great veggie burger and just a really down-to-earth, sort of grungy activist (that's meant as a big compliment) atmosphere that I really loved.

I think you'll find overall that madrid, at least in the center, can really be quite vegan friendly. hope you have a wonderful time here! one thing I can think of that would be cool for you to see is: there's a building off of gran via called the circulo de bellas artes, and they have rooftop access that allows you to see the whole city, and it's really gorgeous, especially since gran via is right next to it and has so many historic buildings. I also suggest walking around la latina, which is south of plaza mayor. if I think of anything else I'll chuck this thread another post!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:49 pm 

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I can't believe I am actually going to be there in a few days :)

I know I should have also asked this in my initial post, but I am going to be in Carboneras (southeast coast) for a week (which is why I am going to be in Madrid in the first place) - am I going to starve? Google isn't helping me much for this tiny town.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:08 pm 
Nailed to the V

Robynn wrote:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I can't believe I am actually going to be there in a few days :)

I know I should have also asked this in my initial post, but I am going to be in Carboneras (southeast coast) for a week (which is why I am going to be in Madrid in the first place) - am I going to starve? Google isn't helping me much for this tiny town.

ooooooh that place looks great!

now don't panic.

not sure you could find vegan options in restaurants there (although, one never knows) but anyway starving in Andalusia is impossible.

if you want to order in a bar or restaurant you could go, typically, for patatas bravas, berenjenas a la miel (fried eggplants with cane sugar), pisto, or salmorejo (specifying you don't take eggs nor jamón on it) - and, yes: salads... (don't laugh, I usually hate ordreing salad but the veg here are amazing). As snacks or tapas they could also give you olives or dried fuits

For breakfast, any bar could offer you tostadas with oïl or tomato (and this until like 13.00 ...so actually, having a very late-ish breakfast could be a good early lunch strategy)

Whatever you do don't miss the olive oïl -the best on earth- and the almonds. and the bread.

If you can, buy fresh ripe local avocados. Same about oranges or chirimoyas :)

and a lot more.