| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: The bra shopping support thread
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:41 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

I officially have to buy bras now. Boo. I started a second job that actually has a dress-code (I've always worked in non-dress-code environments) and it actually states that you have to wear proper undergarments. Bahhumbug. I'm a very chubby girl with super small perky boobs, and I hate any type of padded bras, even lightly lined bras I hate. I use to be obsessed with VS's cotton no-lined underwire bras, they were amazing...until they stopped making them. So for the past 4-5 years I mostly have gone bra-less, the three bras I do own for occasions where a bra is needed are now pretty rundown.

Any of you have a good suggestion for no-lined demi-cut bras with underwires? I think I need to replenish my stock here within the month since I don't know how long my three rundown bras are going to last with constant attention.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:50 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I can't believe proper undergarments is part f the dress code, whoa! Never heard of that. I have no suggestions other than just go to a department store and try on a few different ones. I seriously loathe bra shopping.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:55 am 
Not NOT A Furry

So I got fitted before getting my wedding dress and, I'm a whole two cup sizes bigger than I thought! Woah. Now all my bras "don't fit" (although I thought they did beforehand). It's much comfier in my new bra but I think I'm still going to wear my old ones. They squish my boobs a bit and make them look bigger.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:54 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

AlmondMilkJoy wrote:
I officially have to buy bras now. Boo. I started a second job that actually has a dress-code (I've always worked in non-dress-code environments) and it actually states that you have to wear proper undergarments. Bahhumbug. I'm a very chubby girl with super small perky boobs, and I hate any type of padded bras, even lightly lined bras I hate. I use to be obsessed with VS's cotton no-lined underwire bras, they were amazing...until they stopped making them. So for the past 4-5 years I mostly have gone bra-less, the three bras I do own for occasions where a bra is needed are now pretty rundown.

Any of you have a good suggestion for no-lined demi-cut bras with underwires? I think I need to replenish my stock here within the month since I don't know how long my three rundown bras are going to last with constant attention.

I remember Calvin Klein making some awesome unlined bras in the A - B range...but that was about ten years ago. I'm now in the needs-padded-straps category but I know Chantelle makes really comfortable bras in all sizes (if you're willing to shell out $80; they'll last you a good five years if you're handwashing/washing on gentle). The thing I really like about how their bras are built is that they have these stretchy gussets on the sides so the underwire doesn't poke at my chub.;)

And if you're in the US, [url=http://www.barenecessities.com]this[\url] site always has good sales.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:22 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

AlmondMilkJoy wrote:

What does "proper undergarments" mean? If you have small/perky boobs maybe you could get away with wearing a lined camisole?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:24 pm 
Inflexitarian

2nd the Calvin Klein rec-- I have two that are unlined. Sorry about the dress code, that is really specific!! It's 1950, you might also need a slip for that dress that you're going to be wearing!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:55 pm 

What's your band size? I'm a large 36, more often 38, and Calvin Klein bras run small in my experience, so I don't think they are a good choice for those of us who need a large band size. I just don't fit their 36 bras (which is the largest band size they sell, I believe), which is a shame because they sell really nice unlined bras. It's really is hard to find large banded but small cupped bras that are unlined. This is my current favorite bra. It's not a demi, but it's underwire and unlined, and I find it pretty comfortable. The smallest cup size is B and the largest band is 38.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:00 pm 

Oh, and I remember those VS unlined cotton demi bras! They were great. I used to wear them all the time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Limone wrote:
AlmondMilkJoy wrote:

What does "proper undergarments" mean? If you have small/perky boobs maybe you could get away with wearing a lined camisole?

I'm with limone. I regularly do camisoles with very light support in lieu of actual bras. Or maybe a light sports bra?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:12 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Thank you everyone for the ideas! I will definitely check them out. I feel like I use to no-matter what be able to walk into a store pick out a 36B and that was that. That has all changed, I actually have to try on bras now which I hate doing. As for the lined camisoles, I might try that, i have absolutely none with that shelf bra thing, but that definitely is something to look into.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:49 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I go to stores looking for 34B and only find 36B's. I really like Natori, and Calvin Klein as others have said. Natori I feel is more consistently good then Calvin Klein, if their bra fits me then it fits me fantastically, if it doesn't fit right it's all kinds of terrible.
I think for work you may want to consider lightly lined bras as opposed to unlined, even if you hate them. I go for the lightly lined cause with an unlined bra you can see my nipples sticking out through my shirt, unless I wore a sweater or layers. I'm also perpetually cold.... But anyway I think if they said "proper undergarments" that's a polite way of saying "keep your ladies in check"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:24 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Another thing that might work for you would be a Genie Bra or something else similar. They don't work so well for larger busted women generally and finding the right size without being able to try it on might be tricky, but it might be the type of support you're wanting and the pads are removable.

I actually just ordered these bras from HSN by Rhonda Shear. They also have ones without lace, like this. I haven't gotten them in yet, so I can't vouch for quality/fit, but I just wanted to point you in their direction in case you wanted to give them a shot!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:43 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Anyone have advice about not bra shopping? Should I start a new thread? Lol. I think I've decided it's time to let the girls flop free. Unfortunately, I have to come into contact with people on a regular basis. I tried all kinds of "comfort" bras and they just did not work for me. I'm trying to do camis with shelf bras under shirts but I'm a full C, so that doesn't always cut it. Any tips? Or any REALLY comfortable bras that don't involve lifting and separating?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:11 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i wish i could not wear a bra, but i'm also a full C and just thinking about it hurts.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:43 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I decided last summer to stop wearing bras with underwires, and it's been difficult to find pretty bras that way. Recently though, I went to Soma and they measured me (32A, even smaller than I thought!) and told me that the reason the 34 A's I've been buying seem so huge is because that when the number goes up, so does the cup size, even though it has the same name. Weird! So anyway, they told me how bras should fit and I bought two (one ivory, one black) really basic, but cute wire-free bras (these!) and I love them. I need to go get more, because I wear these every day. They're so comfortable that I don't even feel them. Love. Also, 2 for $59, yay!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:31 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

You know what? All bras make me look like someone I am not so I am going braless for my wedding. I am lucky that that is an option because I am not very big, but I can't believe how much time I wasted shopping for a bra that would work and that I didn't hate. I hate padding, and when I wore it for a test drive last night I couldn't stop poking myself in the boob for funsies. Structured/padded bras are more fun to play with than they are for any other application.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:45 am 
WRETCHED

Although I don't think I look as good in them, I've given up normal bras in favor of seamless bras. My favorite so far have actually been pretty cheap, Barely there has one that I like. I'm a full C. They aren't very 'cute' but that is ok with me. If you are a smaller cup, they do have some that are cuter
http://www.barenecessities.com/barely-t ... yThereX598

And they are pricey but I love Anita bras for bras that have a clasp in the back and are wire free.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:50 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I am in desperate need of new bras. Literally none of mine fit. I used to fit into my bras, though! But since then, I've had a kid, and my boobs are still in use for breastfeeding, but they're chilled out enough that they're no longer monstrously large (for me). So now they are starting to get back to their new normal, but they still fluctuate a bit, so I'm not sure what cup size to get! They are tiny and squishy now, not quite so perky. : ( I'm going to have to pick up a "make-do" bra for now, but I really will have to order something - I actually need a 28C, I think. I measured a bit larger, more like a D, but I think that had to do with milk supply that day. I might even go down so far as a B cup. So frustrating. Anyone know of a good place for tiny bras?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:31 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

bodhi, have you tried thelittlebracompany.com? They're not cheap, but they make petite bras.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:16 pm 
Inflexitarian

Sarah wrote:
Some reading just revealed one of my frustrations. My bra cups *always* gap at the top and apparently that can be caused by wearing a shape that doesn't flatter you. I always go for full coverage because I don't want my girls popping out, but apparently I should be going for demi cups. Who knew? Most articles said full coverage should be reserved for very round breasts or people who have breasts that are fuller towards the top, which is not me.

Has anyone found this to be true? I always go for the full coverage styles (for everyday wear) too. I'm a 36 G right now, but my breasts, without a bra are certainly not full at the top, but um, well, they're droopy. Would a demi-cup work better for me. I worry about the girls falling out too. But I guess they wouldn't do that it the bra was the right size.............?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:59 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

jean wrote:
Sarah wrote:
Some reading just revealed one of my frustrations. My bra cups *always* gap at the top and apparently that can be caused by wearing a shape that doesn't flatter you. I always go for full coverage because I don't want my girls popping out, but apparently I should be going for demi cups. Who knew? Most articles said full coverage should be reserved for very round breasts or people who have breasts that are fuller towards the top, which is not me.

Has anyone found this to be true? I always go for the full coverage styles (for everyday wear) too. I'm a 36 G right now, but my breasts, without a bra are certainly not full at the top, but um, well, they're droopy. Would a demi-cup work better for me. I worry about the girls falling out too. But I guess they wouldn't do that it the bra was the right size.............?

I think we're a similar size and shape and although I tend to wear full coverage as well for everyday wear, I've also had good luck with balconettes! They're similar to a demi-cup but not quite as low cut, so they give the girls the right amount of oomph, but feel less exposed than the demi.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:22 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Tzippy wrote:
bodhi, have you tried thelittlebracompany.com? They're not cheap, but they make petite bras.

I haven't yet! Business is slow right now, so I can't drop $60 per bra at the moment. As soon as I can though, I'm going to try them out! Until then, hopefully I can find something close to the right size, but cheaper.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:58 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Does anyone know any stores in NYC that are not crazy expensive but have a good range of sizes? I guess I'm willing to order online but I'd rather try on in store. Ugh I literally have DREAMS of owning a wonderful bra that fits me well.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:26 am 

veggiepalooza wrote:
Does anyone know any stores in NYC that are not crazy expensive but have a good range of sizes? I guess I'm willing to order online but I'd rather try on in store. Ugh I literally have DREAMS of owning a wonderful bra that fits me well.

This is where I go to get my bras:
http://www.thelittleflirt.com/

Can't say they're inexpensive, but they do have a punch card where, if you buy 10 bras, you get one free (up to $120 value)! I love every bra I've purchased there, and they're great at helping you find the right size.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:46 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Oooh thanks! I think I'm going to head here today: http://irislingeriebrooklyn.com/. They are Oprah approved! and apparently the owner will make alterations which is amazing. I'm definitely on a tight budget so we'll see how it goes. I've been told I'm a 28 DD but I think it's wrong (too small).

Another bra question: how many bras are you supposed to own? I tend to buy one and wear it nearly all the time which is gross and not good for the bra I'm willing to bet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next