| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2674 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 107  Next
 Post subject: Re: Baby & Kid Updates Thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:28 pm 
Naked Under Apron

guys, Sierra is 9months old! (unfathomable, I say.)

She is just about 15.5 lbs and 25 inches, quite a little pumpkin but I'm enjoying that because it makes me forget the fact that she's crawling (mostly backwards) and also pulling herself up on the couch (what the fizzle!). For all I bisque about her sleeping terribly, she is sooooo sweet and makes us very very happy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:08 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

SIERRA!!!! look at that smile <3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:14 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Awwww, happy 9 months Sierra!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:28 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yay Sierra! She is gorgeous. :)

Freya...lordy, she is changing so freaking fast. Walking all over the place, well over a mile one morning, I"m sure (park and town shopping). Her vocabulary grows by leaps and bounds..we're up to about 60 (sixty!) words. My favorite lately was one morning when she'd nursed back to sleep a little after 5 in the morning. I decided to just stay and try to sleep in the recliner instead of bothering K by going back in the other room, since Freya'd likely only be out for a 1/2 hour or so. I hear her rustling after about 20 minutes, but don't open my eyes/move, thinking she might settle down. Instead, she stands up, holding onto the crib bar and says "mama...mama....boo". Sweet Moses I thought I might die.

Another fave was when she was bopping on my head at the table one night as I was holding her. We've just for maybe a week or so been talking about being "gentle", "using soft touches" yada yada because she's hitting a lot, but not in an aggressive way usually, just excited. This night, I reminded her about gentle touching and she pauses and looks out the back door and says "cat", then strokes my face (like we'd "practiced") and again says "cat". Eventually we work out that she's connecting the two because I say to be gentle often when we're petting the neighbor cat. So now, when we're playing if I say "ouch", etc. she will touch me in some soft way and after I offer some praise, will say "cat" and shake her head yes. Funny stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:20 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Sierra, so joyous looking! I love it!

refinnej, that's really interesting about F making that connection. It's so cool to see small people figuring things out and putting it all together.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:09 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

So, I'm just babbling over Eli and he babbles some more for mins on end, yesterday. Well, eventually I start saying "hiii, say hiiii... can you say HI!" and I swear he opened his mouth wide and I heard a "haaa"... My oldest did not even babble til he was over 12months old. I think Eli will be the one I'll be chasing after and who will talk my ear off early lol

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:50 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Sierra! She just looks so thrilled!
We have walking here! He took his first steps Wednesday and then refused to do it yesterday but decided today it was okay again. It's the cutest! He's just got the hang of standing independently and thinks that that's hilarious, so he'll let go of whatever he's holding and laugh hysterically.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:25 pm 
Naked Under Apron

ahhhh we have some progress at the preschool! Dahlia started her 2 day a week/ 4 hours a day program last Friday. There were some initial tears (on my part too) when I dropped her off...we'd talked all about what to expect etc but she still said "I thought you were gonna stay with me!" but I held strong and kinda ran away once she wasn't actively crying. When Howard went to pick her up, he watched her for like 5 minutes before she saw him, and basically she was just eating her sandwich and hanging out with one of the teachers. That seems to be her thing - she kinda ignores other kids and heads straight for the adults! In fact, we spent some time with our friends and their kids this weekend and D seriously seems kinda horrified by the way other kids act. My friend said "She's like a little lady!" hmmph. I think it's sweet that she likes the teachers (2 of whom are guys, which is just great since she's used to a ton of Papa time) and I know they will eventually be able to convince her to participate with the other kids. But man we hardly know what to do with ourselves when she isn't around and I was soooo anxious the whole time, worrying about her. Silly mama, it will get better I'm sure.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:00 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Zephyr is walking along furniture like crazy! He likes to plant himself standing in front of our table (it's a low table), and grab whatever is on it. Or peek at us from the opposite side. So awesome! And he's also got a second tooth peeking through his gums!

Iz is starting to get interested in spelling words now. It's exciting to see him learning how to read and write!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:13 pm 

Audrey, I don't think that's silly at all. Freya's becoming more and more outgoing, to the point where I can see (not yet, but in the future), her staying with someone while K and I have some couple time. I *know* that I will be so distracted that I might forget he's even there. :)

Go Z cruising! (how is that possible that he's that big already?) And Iz spelling...ah, learning to read is surely going to be my most favorite milestone of all.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:31 pm 

So Freya's been really interested in Karl's chewable vitamins for awhile now. We let her try a half one (child dose) about a month ago, to see if she could really chew it. She's become a bit obsessed with them since then. Tonight, K and I are talking at the dinner table and I say that I don't really want her to have them because she only likes them because they are ridiculously sweet...seriously like sugar with 1% of other bits thrown in. I'm saying to K that one of the few things that makes me really feel like I'm doing a good job is that Freya has little or no concept of what junk food is. She's tried cake on our birthdays/her birthday but wasn't a big fan (liked the icing on mine). I say something like "except for chocolate (which she's had bites of), she doesn't really know about sweets, and I'm glad...".

As I say the word "chocolate", Freya stops dead in her tracks (was playing right near the table, happily) and gets a bit excited and says something resembling "chocolate" a couple of times, then shakes her head yes vigorously and signs "eat". Heh. It's nice to have moments where your sure your child has some of your DNA in there.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:28 pm 

Sigh. "you're"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:19 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Lorelei has been making leaps and bounds in almost every way imaginable in the past couple of months. I am shocked by the things that she understands. The transition from babyhood to toddlerhood has been absolutely amazing. She can still be troublesome at times, she has been throwing fits and temper tantrums and generally been very whiny lately with 2 upper molars coming in at once not helping matters whatsoever. How did you guys get through this stage? She doesn't get what she wants and just starts screaming at me. I think most of the time what works for me is gentle distractions. I can't always do that, because I am doing school now and sometimes algebra and screaming toddler don't mix very well. I'm trying to be patient.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:31 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I love to hear the Zephyr updates because I know what is coming next! I can't believe he is up and cruising!!!

Giles is mobile with a cute backwards scoot. He is so proud of himself. I like it because he can entertain himself so much better, but I don't like it because my house isn't remotely babyproofed!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:27 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Lou Who has her third tooth coming in and has started to babble "dadada" and other gurgly trying-to-talk noises. :-)

She hated her well baby visit the other say though. She seems to be in a phase of "if I can see Mommy, but someone else is holding me, WAAAAAAAH".

But she can sit up now and I've given her a few bites of avocado and rice chex. I can't believe she's 6.5 months old already.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:38 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Will had no bottles at the sitter yesterday, just his (my) milk in a sippy!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:47 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We have a molar visibly close to breaking through. I'm hopeful this explains the koala-like baby that has been clinging to me all week. (I try to remind myself, someday I'll wish he by me this much, but right now....)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:08 am 
Semen Strong

We have one molar fully out and three that are above the gumline at various stages. And now the canines are poking up....

They have so much going on in their mouths its no wonder they're feeling picky about food. Poor babies.

I hear you DS, L is now in the stage where she wants stuff, but doesn't have a good way to express it and also can't understand when we explain why she can't have it. It must be so frustrating for her! We use "Happiest Toddler on the Block" and have found that really helpful, if you're interested.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:16 pm 
And you never will.

poopiebaby's three new favorite forms of pretend-play are: 1, roaring and stomping and saying "I a big strong dinosaur!" 2, spinning around and saying "I a ballerina!" and 3, putting on his hard-hat and saying "I a pretty princess!" That last one confuses me, but I still find it adorable. I'm super tempted to get him a twirly skirt so he can spin around in it. I know he would love it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:37 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

So cute! Spinning in a skirt is one of the best things ever, bet he'd love it!

That reminds me that I was looking for play silks at one point. They'd also rock for twirling. (Didn't look too in depth, so I don't happen to know of any vegan sources yet.)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:11 pm 
And you never will.

Ooooh, that's a great idea, too! I'm totally going to look into that (if I remember, hah!)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:16 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Guys, this is big. I think E is... beginning the process of learning to read. Over the past week, he suddenly started recognizing ALL the letters. He also seems to have had some sort of epiphany where he realizes there's writing on everything, and now he wants to know what every sign/piece of packaging/receipt/etc says. He's been interested in stories for so long, but the letters and stuff, not so much, to the point where I was starting to feel a little worried on his behalf. (He's 3.5, and so I know that's probably ridiculous, but he has friends who've been able to identify letters since they were 2 or so and it's really hard not to compare.)

He also all of a sudden can write the letter G. (The first letter in his name.) But he always writes it upside down and backwards! Then he stares at it with this perplexed look. I asked him the other day if I could take a picture of him with his G and without even looking up, he muttered, "No, no you can't, because I didn't do a good job on it." Then he erased it and did another. Kinda heartbreaking. Dude has a long future of teachers writing "works conscientiously" on his report card to look forward to.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:00 am 
Semen Strong

That's awesome C&S! Go Emperor!

I think its wonderful that you went to take a picture with it, and even if he felt like he could do better, at least he also knows how proud you are of him and that it is a pretty great accomplishment. I like that idea :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:23 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Eli is trying to tripod sit! The kid is not even 4 months old yet 0_0 somebody slow down time for me please! My bebe is growing too fast! :(

As for Sam, this goes along with C&S's update I guess. We have started the phonics learning part of reading and now he wants to know what everything around him says. I love this! He will read by Kindergarden (sep '14... because the cut off date is 5yrs old by sept 30th here and he wont be til Nov 24th. so an extra year he gets)

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:36 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Whoa, Malka says "yes" now!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2674 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 107  Next