| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm sick, help me!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:24 am 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

Hey peeps! So Saturday morning I woke up feeling fine and around dinner time while I was cooking I felt this huge wave of exhaustion, weakness and soreness take over me. I took it easy for the rest of the night and woke up Sunday morning feeling worse but with congestion, coughing, etc. As the days go on it gets worse. Even walking up a flight of stairs takes all the energy I have. I don't take medicine unless it is really serious and I have been taking the following supplements for immune health:

Vit C - 5000 mg a day (1000 mg every few hours)
Iron
Zinc
B(all of them)
Echinachea
Astragalus
Spirulina
Ocsillium

Is there anything else you think I should be taking/doing other than resting and drinking tons of fluids? I really want to feel better so I don't waste another weekend laid up on the couch. I haven't felt this shitty in years.

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: I'm sick, help me!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:32 am 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

If you have a sinus rinse kit around or can get to the drug store I'd recommend that to help stave off it turning into a sinus infection.
If it's the flu, I've read really good things about elderberry extract. I actually stocked up three bottles of it.

Also, hugs! Feel better soon!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:43 am 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

Thessaly wrote:
If you have a sinus rinse kit around or can get to the drug store I'd recommend that to help stave off it turning into a sinus infection.
If it's the flu, I've read really good things about elderberry extract. I actually stocked up three bottles of it.

Thanks!

I totally forgot about elderberry! I have a whole bottle of it! I am pretty sure we have a neti pot around, ive never used it though, it kind of scares me

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:46 am 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

VeganFoodRocks wrote:
Thessaly wrote:

Thanks!

I totally forgot about elderberry! I have a whole bottle of it! I am pretty sure we have a neti pot around, ive never used it though, it kind of scares me

If you're too congested I'd hold off, but if you get a point where you can breathe through both sides I'd give it a try. Also, check out the neti pot thread if you decide to try it!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:25 am 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

Whenever I feel like I'm starting to come down with something, I make this and drink/eat it and lots of ginger tea and water, and rest, and I'm usually feeling better after a day or two.

Ingredients :
1 box veggie broth (or a qt of water) - I always use water.
At least 1 head of garlic. Peeled, whole cloves.
2 onions, quartered
1 bunch flat leaf parsley
1 bunch cilantro
1 bunch basil
1 bunch mint
1-2 lemons(or limes)

red pepper flakes
salt
curry (or anything that adds a flavor you like.)

Directions :
Quarter your onions and toss em in the pot. Throughly wash all greens. Pluck off all mint leaves from stems and drop in pot. Same goes for the basil. The cilantro and parsley can be coarsely chopped before tossing in. Once it's peeled all the garlic can go in too. You'll want to add the pepper flakes and curry powder now. Make it spicy, but don't overdo it. If you're unsure, start with 1/2 tsp of red pepper. The broth goes in last. The liquid probably will not gover the greens, which is fine since the heat will wilt everything down. Quickly bring that sucker to a boil, then cover and simmer for 15-30 min. everything should be soft. Turn off the heat and let the soup cool off for 5 min or so.

Either blend in the pot with a hand-blender, or transfer it to a regular blender and blend away(it'll be two batches). Make sure to blend it very well! Rinse off your pot and dump the blended soup back into the pot and warm it up. This is when you'll want to do some taste testing. Cut one lemon/lime in half and squeeze the juice into the soup. Follow with a bit of salt, if you need it. The one time I used veggie broth, I didn't add any salt and normally I just use a small pinch, but I don't like salty things. Stir. Taste. Adjust seasonings if needed.

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]