| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Vegan With a Vengeance (VWAV)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:23 am 
Offline
Bathes in Braggs
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:03 am
Posts: 1318
Location: Nova Scotia
I made the banana oatmeal waffles this morning for the first time. I made them gluten free (homemade blend flour and Only Oats) and subbed pecans for raisins but otherwise exactly to recipe. They were amazing.

I made plain waffles for the kids because they like plain, but I dislike plain waffles and pancakes, preferring whole grain with oats and nuts anything else good I can squeeze in them. These certainly fit the bill. Also, I have leftovers in the freezer, yum.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan With a Vengeance (VWAV)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:31 am 
Offline
Bathes in Braggs
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:03 am
Posts: 1318
Location: Nova Scotia
Maybe I have already praised the sparkled ginger cookies (probably) but I wanted to say they are one of the best cookie recipes ever, and I have made a lot of cookies in my years. We used to make a similar recipe with eggs but it did not turn out as well as this one. I'm gonna make some today because it's a storm day - good day for spice cookies - and both schools and community colleges (rare) are closed. I think that as well as the missing eggs the cookies have more ginger than most similar recipes and that's what makes them so great.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan With a Vengeance (VWAV)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:52 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:13 am
Posts: 1808
Location: USA
Arisaig wrote:
Maybe I have already praised the sparkled ginger cookies (probably) but I wanted to say they are one of the best cookie recipes ever, and I have made a lot of cookies in my years. We used to make a similar recipe with eggs but it did not turn out as well as this one. I'm gonna make some today because it's a storm day - good day for spice cookies - and both schools and community colleges (rare) are closed. I think that as well as the missing eggs the cookies have more ginger than most similar recipes and that's what makes them so great.


agreed, the sparkled ginger cookies rock.

i've also noticed that vegan baked goods seem to have a stronger flavor (in a very good way) because the eggs and butter are not contributing any flavor ;)

_________________
"....but I finally found block tempeh a few weeks ago with the intent to give it my virginity." -Moon

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan With a Vengeance (VWAV)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:06 pm 
Offline
Nailed to the V
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:55 pm
Posts: 594
Location: Illinois
I made the BBQ Pomegranate Tofu for dinner tonight. Wowzers, that's some goodness right there. I halved the BBQ sauce recipe for the pound of tofu, and it still made a ton of sauce. Finger-lickin' good.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan With a Vengeance (VWAV)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:17 pm 
Offline
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:27 pm
Posts: 603
I am making the coconut pancakes with pineapple sauce to impress my mother tomorrow. I came to the boards to make sure it was a safe recipe with no weirdness. I am confident that these will be a big hit.

And now I want to make the sparkle ginger cookies!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan With a Vengeance (VWAV)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:40 pm 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:37 pm
Posts: 3263
Location: Ireland
I did a cross between the chocolate pancakes and the coconut pancakes the other day. They were pretty amazing. A lot thicker than normal ones but very tasty. Incredibly filling. One or two would have been enough but I ate all 3 that I made (I had halved the recipe).

_________________
Meowchickameow meow! - Tofulish


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan With a Vengeance (VWAV)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:46 pm 
Offline
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:27 pm
Posts: 603
Yum! That sounds so good!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan With a Vengeance (VWAV)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:48 pm 
Offline
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:27 pm
Posts: 603
The coconut pancakes were a huge hit. I ate 2 of them (smallish) and thought I was going to burst. They are deceptively filling! I have leftover pineapple sauce that I am determined to find a use for.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan With a Vengeance (VWAV)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:28 pm 
Offline
Nailed to the V
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:55 pm
Posts: 594
Location: Illinois
Masuphl, make the Sparkled Ginger Cookies! Swoon-worthy!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan With a Vengeance (VWAV)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:00 pm 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:55 am
Posts: 4221
Location: Halifax, NS
beethecookie wrote:
Masuphl, make the Sparkled Ginger Cookies! Swoon-worthy!


Agreed! So good.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan With a Vengeance (VWAV)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:01 am 
Offline
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:27 pm
Posts: 603
Ok, it's decided! I am making them this week!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan With a Vengeance (VWAV)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:26 pm 
Offline
Lubes With Earth Balance
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:26 pm
Posts: 1579
Location: santa cruz!
25 years after this book came out, I finally made that carrot cake!
Actually, I did alter the recipe a bit... but it came out totally amazing and I loved it.
One day I will try it exactly as-is in the recipe, complete with coconut and macadamia nuts, which sounds amazing.

maybe in another 25 years!

_________________
Vegan Eats & Treats


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan With a Vengeance (VWAV)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:31 pm 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 10734
Location: Astoria, NY by way of San Diego, CA
ameyfm wrote:
25 years after this book came out, I finally made that carrot cake!
Actually, I did alter the recipe a bit... but it came out totally amazing and I loved it.
One day I will try it exactly as-is in the recipe, complete with coconut and macadamia nuts, which sounds amazing.

maybe in another 25 years!


awesome! i made it this weekend, too. I left out the ginger and used roasted almonds for the macs. doesn't really matter what you do, this cake is amazing and pretty damn foolproof/easy to mess with.

_________________
I am not a troll. I am TELLING YOU THE ******GOD'S TRUTH****** AND YOU JUST DON'T WANT THE HEAR IT DO YOU?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan With a Vengeance (VWAV)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:23 am 
Offline
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:27 pm
Posts: 603
beethecookie wrote:
Masuphl, make the Sparkled Ginger Cookies! Swoon-worthy!


I made them yesterday, just had some for breakfast. :) First of all - they are so pretty! Second of all - YUM!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan With a Vengeance (VWAV)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:49 pm 
Offline
Nailed to the V
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:55 pm
Posts: 594
Location: Illinois
Yum! Yay! And now I'm jealous and might need to make some!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan With a Vengeance (VWAV)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:05 pm 
Offline
Tofu Pup

Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:51 pm
Posts: 1
Just a technical question, I just made the TVP veggie burgers with Bob's Red Mill TVP and that cup and a half of veg broth, it came out really wet. Was it supposed to be that wet? I ended up putting bread crumbs and wheat gluten in it and it worked fine, it was really good. I'm thinking maybe I'll try it again again with just one cup or less stock?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan With a Vengeance (VWAV)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:10 pm 
Offline
Nailed to the V
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:36 am
Posts: 533
Location: Chicago
So I'm going to make the carrot cake that everyone raves about, but I was wondering if I could turn it into a "plain" carrot cake so my picky dad will eat it. I plan to leave out the ginger, but I also need to make it without coconut. It's one cup of coconut, so I'm wondering if I need to replace it with something else - more flour, more carrots - or will it be okay just to omit it?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan With a Vengeance (VWAV)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:23 pm 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 12251
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
I'm no expert, but I'd probably just leave it out. If the batter seems really thin, then maybe a tiny bit more flour. Extra carrots would add a lot of extra moisture that could change the structure of the cake.

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan With a Vengeance (VWAV)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:39 pm 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:37 pm
Posts: 3263
Location: Ireland
I'm using this as the free choice book for the cookbook challenge this week. So far I've made the curried split pea soup, braised cauliflower with 3 seed sauce and tempeh sausage crumbles. Really liking all 3. I was undecided on the pea soup when I made it Sunday but I enjoyed it yesterday and I loved it today. It's definitely one of those taste better the longer you leave it soups.

_________________
Meowchickameow meow! - Tofulish


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan With a Vengeance (VWAV)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:32 pm 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 5020
Location: WV
daisychain wrote:
I'm using this as the free choice book for the cookbook challenge this week. So far I've made the curried split pea soup, braised cauliflower with 3 seed sauce and tempeh sausage crumbles. Really liking all 3. I was undecided on the pea soup when I made it Sunday but I enjoyed it yesterday and I loved it today. It's definitely one of those taste better the longer you leave it soups.


Oh! (yes, I know you've already chosen your recipes for the week, but for your next go with it, since you mentioned soup...) Another favorite of mine from this book is the white bean soup with roasted garlic. So simple, but incredibly addictive. I made it twice in two weeks once, and I never do that.

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan With a Vengeance (VWAV)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:40 am 
Offline
Nailed to the V
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:36 am
Posts: 533
Location: Chicago
lavawitch wrote:
I'm no expert, but I'd probably just leave it out. If the batter seems really thin, then maybe a tiny bit more flour. Extra carrots would add a lot of extra moisture that could change the structure of the cake.

Good point about extra carrots adding more moisture. I'll try just leaving the coconut out. Thanks!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan With a Vengeance (VWAV)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:11 am 
Offline
Bathes in Braggs
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:03 am
Posts: 1318
Location: Nova Scotia
pepperpot wrote:
So I'm going to make the carrot cake that everyone raves about, but I was wondering if I could turn it into a "plain" carrot cake so my picky dad will eat it. I plan to leave out the ginger, but I also need to make it without coconut. It's one cup of coconut, so I'm wondering if I need to replace it with something else - more flour, more carrots - or will it be okay just to omit it?


I can't comment specifically on this recipe but I make another carrot cake recipe that calls for coconut without the coconut (one kid hates it) and no replacements and it turns out fine. I also make the VCon lemon bundt cake without coconut and it turns out perfect. I suppose it's a little bit smaller because of the reduced volume and may take less time to cook.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan With a Vengeance (VWAV)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:28 pm 
Offline
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:08 pm
Posts: 1673
I can't remember if I've ever posted about this in this epic thread BUT: man, that pomegranate tofu! A frequent meal in our house is the tofu, coconut rice and a bunch of broccoli smothered in the sauce. It is without a doubt one of my 3year old's favorite meals, and the sauce is beats the pants off any bbq-type sauce we've ever had. Plus that method of baking the tofu is delicious in its own right, albeit a bit oily.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan With a Vengeance (VWAV)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:37 pm 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:37 pm
Posts: 3263
Location: Ireland
allularpunk wrote:
daisychain wrote:
I'm using this as the free choice book for the cookbook challenge this week. So far I've made the curried split pea soup, braised cauliflower with 3 seed sauce and tempeh sausage crumbles. Really liking all 3. I was undecided on the pea soup when I made it Sunday but I enjoyed it yesterday and I loved it today. It's definitely one of those taste better the longer you leave it soups.


Oh! (yes, I know you've already chosen your recipes for the week, but for your next go with it, since you mentioned soup...) Another favorite of mine from this book is the white bean soup with roasted garlic. So simple, but incredibly addictive. I made it twice in two weeks once, and I never do that.




Thanks! I will keep that in mind for when the challenge is over.

_________________
Meowchickameow meow! - Tofulish


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan With a Vengeance (VWAV)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:16 pm 
Offline
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:20 am
Posts: 73
Location: Liverpool
Has anyone made the hazelnut scones? What is hazelnut coffee? I'm so confused. I own the UK version of the book, I might add, maybe that has something to do with it? But I've never heard of hazelnut coffee and I live in the UK!

_________________

Please can you stop the noise, I'm trying to get some rest from all the unborn chicken voices in my head.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer