| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan With a Vengeance (VWAV)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:23 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I made the banana oatmeal waffles this morning for the first time. I made them gluten free (homemade blend flour and Only Oats) and subbed pecans for raisins but otherwise exactly to recipe. They were amazing.

I made plain waffles for the kids because they like plain, but I dislike plain waffles and pancakes, preferring whole grain with oats and nuts anything else good I can squeeze in them. These certainly fit the bill. Also, I have leftovers in the freezer, yum.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:31 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Maybe I have already praised the sparkled ginger cookies (probably) but I wanted to say they are one of the best cookie recipes ever, and I have made a lot of cookies in my years. We used to make a similar recipe with eggs but it did not turn out as well as this one. I'm gonna make some today because it's a storm day - good day for spice cookies - and both schools and community colleges (rare) are closed. I think that as well as the missing eggs the cookies have more ginger than most similar recipes and that's what makes them so great.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:52 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Arisaig wrote:
Maybe I have already praised the sparkled ginger cookies (probably) but I wanted to say they are one of the best cookie recipes ever, and I have made a lot of cookies in my years. We used to make a similar recipe with eggs but it did not turn out as well as this one. I'm gonna make some today because it's a storm day - good day for spice cookies - and both schools and community colleges (rare) are closed. I think that as well as the missing eggs the cookies have more ginger than most similar recipes and that's what makes them so great.

agreed, the sparkled ginger cookies rock.

i've also noticed that vegan baked goods seem to have a stronger flavor (in a very good way) because the eggs and butter are not contributing any flavor ;)

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:06 pm 
Nailed to the V

I made the BBQ Pomegranate Tofu for dinner tonight. Wowzers, that's some goodness right there. I halved the BBQ sauce recipe for the pound of tofu, and it still made a ton of sauce. Finger-lickin' good.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:17 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I am making the coconut pancakes with pineapple sauce to impress my mother tomorrow. I came to the boards to make sure it was a safe recipe with no weirdness. I am confident that these will be a big hit.

And now I want to make the sparkle ginger cookies!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:40 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I did a cross between the chocolate pancakes and the coconut pancakes the other day. They were pretty amazing. A lot thicker than normal ones but very tasty. Incredibly filling. One or two would have been enough but I ate all 3 that I made (I had halved the recipe).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:46 pm 

Yum! That sounds so good!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:48 pm 

The coconut pancakes were a huge hit. I ate 2 of them (smallish) and thought I was going to burst. They are deceptively filling! I have leftover pineapple sauce that I am determined to find a use for.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:28 pm 
Nailed to the V

Masuphl, make the Sparkled Ginger Cookies! Swoon-worthy!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:00 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

beethecookie wrote:

Agreed! So good.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:01 am 

Ok, it's decided! I am making them this week!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:26 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

25 years after this book came out, I finally made that carrot cake!
Actually, I did alter the recipe a bit... but it came out totally amazing and I loved it.
One day I will try it exactly as-is in the recipe, complete with coconut and macadamia nuts, which sounds amazing.

maybe in another 25 years!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:31 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

ameyfm wrote:
25 years after this book came out, I finally made that carrot cake!
Actually, I did alter the recipe a bit... but it came out totally amazing and I loved it.
One day I will try it exactly as-is in the recipe, complete with coconut and macadamia nuts, which sounds amazing.

maybe in another 25 years!

awesome! i made it this weekend, too. I left out the ginger and used roasted almonds for the macs. doesn't really matter what you do, this cake is amazing and pretty damn foolproof/easy to mess with.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:23 am 

beethecookie wrote:

I made them yesterday, just had some for breakfast. :) First of all - they are so pretty! Second of all - YUM!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:49 pm 
Nailed to the V

Yum! Yay! And now I'm jealous and might need to make some!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:05 pm 
Tofu Pup

Just a technical question, I just made the TVP veggie burgers with Bob's Red Mill TVP and that cup and a half of veg broth, it came out really wet. Was it supposed to be that wet? I ended up putting bread crumbs and wheat gluten in it and it worked fine, it was really good. I'm thinking maybe I'll try it again again with just one cup or less stock?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:10 pm 
Nailed to the V

So I'm going to make the carrot cake that everyone raves about, but I was wondering if I could turn it into a "plain" carrot cake so my picky dad will eat it. I plan to leave out the ginger, but I also need to make it without coconut. It's one cup of coconut, so I'm wondering if I need to replace it with something else - more flour, more carrots - or will it be okay just to omit it?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:23 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm no expert, but I'd probably just leave it out. If the batter seems really thin, then maybe a tiny bit more flour. Extra carrots would add a lot of extra moisture that could change the structure of the cake.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:39 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm using this as the free choice book for the cookbook challenge this week. So far I've made the curried split pea soup, braised cauliflower with 3 seed sauce and tempeh sausage crumbles. Really liking all 3. I was undecided on the pea soup when I made it Sunday but I enjoyed it yesterday and I loved it today. It's definitely one of those taste better the longer you leave it soups.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:32 pm 
WELFARIST!

daisychain wrote:
I'm using this as the free choice book for the cookbook challenge this week. So far I've made the curried split pea soup, braised cauliflower with 3 seed sauce and tempeh sausage crumbles. Really liking all 3. I was undecided on the pea soup when I made it Sunday but I enjoyed it yesterday and I loved it today. It's definitely one of those taste better the longer you leave it soups.

Oh! (yes, I know you've already chosen your recipes for the week, but for your next go with it, since you mentioned soup...) Another favorite of mine from this book is the white bean soup with roasted garlic. So simple, but incredibly addictive. I made it twice in two weeks once, and I never do that.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:40 am 
Nailed to the V

lavawitch wrote:
I'm no expert, but I'd probably just leave it out. If the batter seems really thin, then maybe a tiny bit more flour. Extra carrots would add a lot of extra moisture that could change the structure of the cake.

Good point about extra carrots adding more moisture. I'll try just leaving the coconut out. Thanks!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:11 am 
Bathes in Braggs

pepperpot wrote:
So I'm going to make the carrot cake that everyone raves about, but I was wondering if I could turn it into a "plain" carrot cake so my picky dad will eat it. I plan to leave out the ginger, but I also need to make it without coconut. It's one cup of coconut, so I'm wondering if I need to replace it with something else - more flour, more carrots - or will it be okay just to omit it?

I can't comment specifically on this recipe but I make another carrot cake recipe that calls for coconut without the coconut (one kid hates it) and no replacements and it turns out fine. I also make the VCon lemon bundt cake without coconut and it turns out perfect. I suppose it's a little bit smaller because of the reduced volume and may take less time to cook.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:28 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I can't remember if I've ever posted about this in this epic thread BUT: man, that pomegranate tofu! A frequent meal in our house is the tofu, coconut rice and a bunch of broccoli smothered in the sauce. It is without a doubt one of my 3year old's favorite meals, and the sauce is beats the pants off any bbq-type sauce we've ever had. Plus that method of baking the tofu is delicious in its own right, albeit a bit oily.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:37 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

allularpunk wrote:
daisychain wrote:

Oh! (yes, I know you've already chosen your recipes for the week, but for your next go with it, since you mentioned soup...) Another favorite of mine from this book is the white bean soup with roasted garlic. So simple, but incredibly addictive. I made it twice in two weeks once, and I never do that.

Thanks! I will keep that in mind for when the challenge is over.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:16 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Has anyone made the hazelnut scones? What is hazelnut coffee? I'm so confused. I own the UK version of the book, I might add, maybe that has something to do with it? But I've never heard of hazelnut coffee and I live in the UK!

Please can you stop the noise, I'm trying to get some rest from all the unborn chicken voices in my head.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next