| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: let's talk photography!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:31 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

My dad and cousin are professional photographers, and I just started working at my cousin's photography studio. Mostly I'm just assisting shooting engagement sessions and weddings, but hopefully I'll have some neat things to share soon!

What's in your camera bag?
Want to post some of your work?

<3

Post subject: Re: let's talk photography!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:14 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Timely thread! I have a little money set aside and would like to get a fancy-pants camera. I'll be watching this thread!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:05 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I'm in luuuuubs with 120 film and old box cameras.

120mm I think with the holga.

35mm taken in a 120mm (actually I think 126 or whatever) camera from the 30's:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:16 am 
Naked Under Apron

Yay, photography! The thing I love but never seem to actually do!

I have taken a couple intro classes (one film, one digital, about a decade apart), and I really like the structure and having assignments to push me and make me get out there. I'm also in the middle of a move, but when I'm less stressed I want to start a photo blog for the sole purpose of giving my photos a place to go (in a different format than flickr), because I think that will be a big motivation for me.

Anyway. I have a little baby Nikon D40, the kit lens, and a 50mm 1.8, which is what I use most of the time.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's stuff!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:04 am 
Smuggling Raisins

Someone on here was talking about a lightscoop about 6 months ago. Tell me - has yours broken? I am now on my second in three months because the catches that go in the flash foot keep breaking off. Does this happen on yours too?

(On a side note, aside from the breaking, this is a genius product and I love it)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:52 am 
Keepin' It Seal

Rachwins wrote:
Someone on here was talking about a lightscoop about 6 months ago. Tell me - has yours broken? I am now on my second in three months because the catches that go in the flash foot keep breaking off. Does this happen on yours too?

(On a side note, aside from the breaking, this is a genius product and I love it)

Weird. Mine JUST broke yesterday. I got it around sep 20, so it's still pretty new. It sucks that they break often, because it really is an amazing product. I'm hooked.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:11 am 
Naked Under Apron

Oh cool, I'd never heard of that! Kind of sucks that it keeps breaking, especially considering it's 30 bucks. How are all these little photo gadgets so expensive?! I was going to buy this little do-hicky for the strap so I could have it across my chest, and it's $15 for a little piece of metal!

I still want both of these things though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:55 am 
Smuggling Raisins

My first one broke while I was in America, so I emailed them and they sent out a free replacement really promptly. My latest one is breaking too but I feel bad about emailing them again for another replacement!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:26 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

I emailed them this morning and they said they'd send me another one! yay! Rachwins, you should email them again. Even if they don't send you another, they should know about it. Maybe they'll make some modifications to the foot so it doesn't break as easily.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:11 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

There's another thread over here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=824

I sent my DSLR body in for service and am still waiting for them to send me a new one. When it arrives, I'll have an E-620, a 14-42mm (being a four thirds lens, that's equivalent 28-84mm), a 40-150mm (80-300mm) and a 35mm (70mm) macro prime. I also have two older compact cameras with different focal ranges - 24-60mm (will do 22mm) and 35-210mm. A wide-angle lens costs more than a compact camera, go figure.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:50 pm 

Chipmunk wrote:
There's another thread over here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=824

I sent my DSLR body in for service and am still waiting for them to send me a new one. When it arrives, I'll have an E-620, a 14-42mm (being a four thirds lens, that's equivalent 28-84mm), a 40-150mm (80-300mm) and a 35mm (70mm) macro prime. I also have two older compact cameras with different focal ranges - 24-60mm (will do 22mm) and 35-210mm. A wide-angle lens costs more than a compact camera, go figure.

Thank you Chipmunk! I'm silly and was thinking photology was a biological process of plants. Like photosynthesis.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:22 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

dakini wrote:
Thank you Chipmunk! I'm silly and was thinking photology was a biological process of plants. Like photosynthesis.

Googles Photology... seems to be the science and study and light. Seems to have nothing to do with Photography. I mean, clearly the thread does, but it's quite misleading.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:21 pm 

I've been reading about the basics on this website and thought I'd share:

http://www.digital-photography-school.com/

It has tips for all skill levels.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:02 pm 
She's No Isa Chandra!

I'm a second year photography major.
For digital, I've got a Canon 7D, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, and Sigma 50mm f/1.4.
I also shoot 4x5 film in a large format camera, and my film SLR is a Canon EOS 630 with 50mm f/1.8 and 28-80mm lenses.

I've been really lazy about uploading my work from the semester...even digital when it's right on my computer. I will eventually!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:44 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

AutumnVegan wrote:
I'm a second year photography major.
For digital, I've got a Canon 7D, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, and Sigma 50mm f/1.4.
I also shoot 4x5 film in a large format camera, and my film SLR is a Canon EOS 630 with 50mm f/1.8 and 28-80mm lenses.

I've been really lazy about uploading my work from the semester...even digital when it's right on my computer. I will eventually!

Thats amazing! I have put sooo much thought into gong to school for photography...but constantly hesitate because I do believe it will be a hard carrer to get myself into. As far as making money off of it. I would love to do it....I just keep second guessing everything.

Bananas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH5ay10RTGY

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:26 pm 

I'm an art major and I haven't chosen a minor but I'm considering photography.
My dad just gave me his Canon g9 to practice on, and when he gets a new camera I get his Rebel. : )

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:35 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

probably a good thread for me but i'm not sure how much positivity i can contribute, especially about studying photography.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:38 pm 

guy burgess wrote:
probably a good thread for me but i'm not sure how much positivity i can contribute, especially about studying photography.

please, contribute away!

<3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:04 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I studied photography for 5 years straight. First doing a National Diploma and A level in photography and then going on to get a BA (Hons) in Photographic Arts. I think going to university for photography, when i did, was the worst mistake ever; I did not enjoy it at all. From the hyper critical theory side that made you over think everything (and question ANYTHING you took pictures of) to the lack of support, was frustrating. I know university is meant to be about having a base/structured environment to do your own work/explore your own ideas but i feel like what my course offered was not good enough - in my opinion anyway. Maybe I expected too much from the experience but I do feel like it knocked my love of photography massively. I don't really want to go into more detail as it all gets a bit personal but my experience wasn't a positive one and even though now, 4 1/2 years later I'm glad i have a degree, i wish i had done things differently. The joys of being retrospective analysis I guess.

Anyway, I used to only shoot medium/large format but its not financially viable now. My 5x4 sits here gathering dust. I really want a digital slr but its not high on my priority list. I mainly shoot on a Canon EOS 3 and a Contax T3. Not that the camera really matters in the end.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:08 am 

guy burgess wrote:
I studied photography for 5 years straight. First doing a National Diploma and A level in photography and then going on to get a BA (Hons) in Photographic Arts. I think going to university for photography, when i did, was the worst mistake ever; I did not enjoy it at all. From the hyper critical theory side that made you over think everything (and question ANYTHING you took pictures of) to the lack of support, was frustrating. I know university is meant to be about having a base/structured environment to do your own work/explore your own ideas but i feel like what my course offered was not good enough - in my opinion anyway. Maybe I expected too much from the experience but I do feel like it knocked my love of photography massively. I don't really want to go into more detail as it all gets a bit personal but my experience wasn't a positive one and even though now, 4 1/2 years later I'm glad i have a degree, i wish i had done things differently. The joys of being retrospective analysis I guess.

Anyway, I used to only shoot medium/large format but its not financially viable now. My 5x4 sits here gathering dust. I really want a digital slr but its not high on my priority list. I mainly shoot on a Canon EOS 3 and a Contax T3. Not that the camera really matters in the end.

I think I can understand what you're saying. When I first started college a million years ago, I studied English and Creative Writing for a few years, and it destroyed some of my love for the art and I rarely write now. My writing style is more in the YA/Sci-Fi/Fantasy realm, but uni just wanted to crank out the next great American novel. Ah, well. Ultimately, I think I'll be a career photographer but get my concentration in something else so I can have a few different skills under my belt. For what it's worth, I'm really sorry you had that experience, and I appreciate that you shared your story.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:47 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

thanks for the response. Sorry i killed the thread, i'll post some work soon. I don't have much new stuff scanned but i'll dig some stuff out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:48 pm 

guy burgess wrote:
thanks for the response. Sorry i killed the thread, i'll post some work soon. I don't have much new stuff scanned but i'll dig some stuff out.

Nahhh, no thread killing here! It was my bad for unknowingly beginning a second photo thread, but it seems like both are doing different things so it's all good.

I've been getting to know my Canon G9 a bit better. My dad and I went to the park yesterday and I had some fun with the macro setting. As soon as I figure out how to get the pics off my cam and onto my computer I'll post some. (My dad's PC has a slot where you can just plug in the memory card, but my Macbook doesn't, I need a cord.)

I'm trying to take some pictures of my kitten but she is having none of it- darting all over the place, trying to eat my strap. I think I'll wait until she curls up and goes to sleep.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:27 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Boyfriend is the photographer in our house. He got himself a Canon 7D last year and it's like his other girlfriend. All his stuff is on his website here (convenient timing, he just re-did the site yesterday).

I went a lot less high-end and I just have a falling-apart Diana. I don't know things about photography, but I think it's kind of fun. Here are a few photos I took on our North America trip a few months ago:

I would probably do it a lot more and actually learn things about taking photos if it weren't so expensive to get film developed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:38 am 

Gorgeous! I love b&w film and architectural shots.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:01 pm 

I set up a flickr account with some pics I took with my dad, nothing amazing but getting more familiar with my camera.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/whiterabbitphotos/
Feel free to check them out, and add me as a friend on flickr if you'd like! Friends are cool.